I'm trying to think up a rough plan to continue my attack with Metrolink on Saturday, I've already purchased my "Train + Metrolink" rover to avoid delays once in Piccadilly.
I will probably decide on the day to either jump on a Chester bound service, or an Airport stopper and linear hop back towards the city centre.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
11th November First We Take Manhattan
A quick spin to London on a Friday evening with a couple targets in my sights, mainly some AC Electrostars, with some information which services they are operating I made a loose plan, and set off to Grateley for the 14:59 to Waterloo, formed this afternoon of 159021 & 159005. No unexpected Brookwood related festers this afternoon and we rolled into Waterloo a few minutes ahead of schedule, which allowed me to use plan B (plan A was playing it safe with some 1996 action to West Ham).
Making use of the peak-time subway to reach the Northern Line platforms, I jumped on the first available service northbound, which just happened to be required
51706 & 51532, under the river to Embankment, making my way up the stairs to jump on the first available eastbound service, which happened to be a Circle line service formed of winners
21383/384 to Tower Hill, exiting from the underground on a busy platform to reach Fenchurch Street, taking me just under 15 minutes to stand on one of the island platforms to await the ECS to roll in.
Dud 357008 rolled in first with winner
357018 attached, I climbed on board and got a seat near to the doors just in case it got busy, but where it was busy there was still seats available on departure from Fenchurch Street for the tiny leap to Limehouse, where I bailed and headed to the other platform with 357004/357031 for a mileage/time wasting move back to Fenchurch Street to await another ECS from East Ham depot for a pair of units which would be doing one journey to Pitsea before heading back to the depot. I was smiling when I saw what was leading the double unit into Fenchurch Street, as I climbed on board in the rear coach. Dud 357324 was leading winner
357038 to clear the class (and C2C for a couple days until the 387/3s enter service).
A quick spin to West Ham and I left the 357s behind and headed to the Jubilee line platforms, without much in the way of ideas other than to head to Stratford for some hopeful winner 321 action to Liverpool Street. A quick scan of RTT suggested a good 20 or so minute gap before the next 321 operated service was due (ignoring the ones being shown as operated by 360s as in general GA are quite good at being able to tell the different apart). Sadly my luck with the Jubilee line wasnt with me, as I jumped onto the 3rd service to Stratford, formed of duds 96123 & 96124, fighting my way through the crowds to reach the platform 9-10 island, as a trio of 360s were departing. I walked to the eastern end of the platform to be in a position to grab the ID of the rear unit of any triples.
Sadly once more luck wasnt on my side as the first two services were dud, leaving me with duds 321441/321350/321433 to Liverpool Street, where I had around 30 minutes to reach Victoria to see what 387/2s were out on the 18:30 Brighton, I should have played it safe and used the Sub-Surface Line to Kings Cross, then onto the Victoria line, or even Central line to Bank, walking to Monument for a Westbound District/Circle line service, sadly I used the shortest route which was Central line to Oxford Circus, then Victoria line to Victoria. When I reached the platform at Liverpool Street it was a 3 minute gap in frequency before 91273/92432/
92188/
91277 rolled in (the rear 2 units being required) which I managed to get on, forgetting that the exit to interchange at Oxford Circus was at the Western end of the platform (for some reason I through it was at the Eastern end, so better being at the rear). A couple minute wait at Monument, and at St Pauls due to signal problems, which meant extended dwells as people tried to squeeze on an already busy service. My mess up with my memory meant it took a good 5 minutes to reach the Victoria line platforms by which time the clock was 18:26 and I decided to say bugger it to those 387/2s and do a spot of 2011 stock hunting instead.
I took up a seat at the quieter end of the platform at Oxford Circus as the first few sets were dud, followed by winner
11019/020 to Green Park, followed one minute later with
11089/090 to halve my remaining requirements. With keeping one eye on the clock, I crossed over to the other side and jumped onto duds 11027/11028 back to Oxford Circus, crossing over to the Bakerloo line platform, taking up another seat as a couple Queens Park bound services were up first, both were dud, followed by a set heading all the way to Harrow which was dud 3559 leading winner
3241, so I jumped on board a busy service (football fans heading to Wembley) for the short run to Paddington, arriving around 19:05 giving me time for some fresh air before heading over to platform 12 for the 19:15 GWR Electrics service to Hayes.
In all fairness I wasnt going to head out tonight, but when I saw which 387s were meant to be out I changed my mind, the 19:15 was formed of winners
387137 &
387132 for the fast run to Ealing Broadway, crossing over to the other platform for the short wait for the other units to return from Hayes, and as expected it was another pair of winners
387135 &
387130, which meant I have cleared all the 387s GWR currently have (so excluding the many more on order). I also think now I have cleared all the Electrostars which operated mainly from AC (until the 387/3s enter public service which is meant to be tomorrow), as my only ones left are a handful of 375s and the 387/2s which operate on DC. Anyhow I headed back to the underground and jumped on the first available Bakerloo line service which had rolled in the platform, I got the ID of the front set as 3247 and I was very happy as winner
3534 was on the rear (leaving me with just 1 more 32XX and 2 more 35XXs).
Swinging via Boots at Waterloo (didnt look like Graze boxes are included in the meal-deal in this location) to climb onto the 20:20 Reverse Split Exeter service (causes confusion for those who cant read the notices which say rear 3 coaches towards Exeter, add in a very confusing manual door (says push on the area where you are meant to push, so dont try and push it at the hinge or look for a button to open the door). Anyhow it was 159014 leading 159009 for the trip back to Grateley, nothing much out of the ordinary, giving me some time to reflect on 6 more units into the book, plus a handful of LU Stock. I will be happy when I finally clear either Bakerloo or Victoria line for stock, both will probably require deployment of a deckchair at peak-times at the quieter stations [Im thinking Pimlico for the Victoria line and probably Regents Park for the Bakerloo, unless anybody else can think of better places to fester?)
----------------
12th November A day on the Metrolink
The idea of today was to have a good clearing out session on the Metrolink, mainly the stations, however plans changed when I got word that one of my remaining 142s was due to work a Blackburn Wigan service passing through Victoria around 11:30. Anyhow after a few weeks gap it was a return to the 05:24 service, and as I woke up around 4:50 I heard the sound of the rain, which meant I drove to the station paying my £2 for car parking (getting rather wet walking to/from the TVM for the parking ticket).
Anyway, my mind wonders off topic, the 05:24 this morning was formed of 159104 for the uneventful trip to Waterloo, where I had around 75 minutes to reach Euston, so I decided to waste some of that time doing some linear hops on the Northern line, at first luck wasnt on my side with a few duds in a roll before I got going with
51642/51643 to Charing Cross, followed a few minutes later with
51511/51512 to Leicester Square. A couple duds passed before
51649/51650 became the latest ticked off for the hop to Tottenham Court Road, closely followed by
51677/51678 to Goodge Street, where my run of luck ran out with a couple more duds before I jumped onto 51582/51583 to Euston.
The 08:00 to Manchester was booked from platform 3, first time in using the ticket barriers, with dud 390104 on the platform, taking up my seat in coach C (nobody needs to guess which seat I had in this coach

) for a speedy run non-stop to Stoke, losing some time eventually rolling into Piccadilly around 5 minutes late, Im guessing from the state of the platforms being quite wet, Manchester had a lot of rain previously, but with nothing around the station which matched my requirements list I headed to the Metrolink platforms with winner
3078 to take me to Piccadilly Gardens. A short walk to Market Street with a couple dud trams before I cut my losses with dud 3016 to Victoria. The plan was to head to either Rochdale or Mills Hill to intercept the 142 working from Blackburn, however all plans change as I spotted a required hanging around on a Southport bound service, departing 30 or so minutes later.
Due to engineering works related to the new chord, all services from Salford were being sent into Victoria, which gave me more options, one of the next was a late running service to Clitheroe which was dud 156421 leading winner
153332. 1 mile & 59 chains later I had alighted at Salford Crescent, heading over to the other side of the island platform to jump onto 142031/142046 heading back towards Victoria, giving me a good +7 to change to the Southport service. All was going well until we were held outside Salford Central before going into Victoria 8 minutes down. However luck was with me as due to a delay to a Blackpool service meant a quick leap onto dud 150111 leading Heaton
156438 back out to Salford Crescent.
I had a couple options with the next service, either play it safe and head to Bolton or risk a tight +2 at Kearsley, remembering from my time in February the best play to be for Kearsley was at the rear of the unit, so that is where I boarded winner
142058 (last Newton Heath 142, leaving just Heaton based 142071 which was reported as working Leeds Harrogate York services so Im hoping the Shinto God of Bashing will be kind enough to send it towards Sheffield next Saturday). Anyhow we rolled into Kearsley with no sight of the other unit, so I bailed walking fast under the subway to the other platform which was quite busy for dud 150137 back to Salford Crescent.
The idea now was to see if anything required should pop up in the next 20 or so minutes as another service from Clitheroe was right behind (not the best move by the signallers at Bolton putting the stopping service in front of the delayed service which doesnt have a large turnaround time at Victoria), however that was a dud 150 (or 156) attached with a dud 153. A couple other services rolled in bound for the 2nd station of Manchester but those were dud. My eyes were drawn to a Blackpool bound service rolling in on the other platform with had required
156491 leading dud 156429, so I was Bolton bound.
Once at Bolton I worked out I had around 3 shots of a winner before the 142 would return from Wigan, the first was a busy solo 150, the 2nd was another busy solo 150 with the 142 rolling in before a busy solo 156 rolled in from Clitheroe, this time the signallers allowed dud 156423 to go first, which as to be expected from a service which would normally be 3-coaches it was busy (with the guard probably wishing she was working a 150 with a crew door!). Anyhow I popped out into the fresh air at Salford, with a dud unit from Southport via Swinton rolling in next followed by the return of 142058. I remained on the platform for the next service from Blackpool (with the last movement going to be a Stalybridge terminator). I was over the moon when my last Allerton based 156 rolled in,
156424 attached with dud 150206. Just 2 more Heaton based 156s (463 & 480) to clear the Northern 156s so I was quite pleased.
Into Victoria, and after confirming the Stalybridge terminator was a dud, I exited the station and headed to the Metrolink platforms, only a few hours later than I was hoping. After deciding that whilst I was at Victoria I might as well start with the Bury line which was operating a roughly 6 minute frequency, sadly it was all single trams (I only saw one double out in the whole time I was in Manchester and that was on a Rochdale Exchange Square service). As per the tradition with light rail moves, I shall do a summary:
3017 Victoria to Queens Road
3044 to Abraham Moss
3048 to Crumpsall
3018 to Bowker Vale
3016 to Heaton Park
3053 to Prestwich (where I broke for a lunch break at a nearby Greggs)
3026 to Besses o th Barn
3015 to Radcliffe
3047 to Whitefield (completing the Bury line for shacks)
3026 to Besses O the Barn
3040 to Whitefield
3001 to Victoria (scoring a front seat on a busy service)
A quick break to have a look if anything heading towards Leeds was required, but nothing of interest, so it was back to the Metrolink platform with the aim of scoring my last two stops on the Rochdale line I missed back in September.
3088 to Hollinwood
3040 to Westwood (pretty much was right behind 3088)
3120 to Victoria (with an extended wait at Failsworth due to the single track section at Newton Heath)
As 3120 was heading towards Exchange Square I bailed at Victoria for the next service towards Shudehill & Market Street. The first was a dud tram so I gave that a miss, and decided to do the East Didsbury line next:
3049 to Firswood (got very heavily loaded at Market Street)
3079 to Cholrton
3077 to Firswood (mistimed the connection with an Airport tram)
3076 to St Werburghs Road
3065 to West Didsbury
3076 to Burton Road (via a double back)
3110 to Didsbury Village
3093 to East Didsbury
It was then only a short walk to East Didsbury national rail station, which is an evil station to reach the platforms, but I made it with time to spare (hence the reason for the double back to give me an extra few minutes) to get some 319 motor thrash from dud 319380 back to Piccadilly, being held outside for 8 minutes for a TPE to cross in front. With nothing required floating around Piccadilly, I headed down to the underbelly and back to the trams, with
3107 taking me to New Islington, 3001 to Holt Town, 3078 to Eithad Campus and then 3001 back to Piccadilly, where I had to fight to get off the tram.
With metrolink really off-limits due to massive crowding, I headed back to the top of Piccadilly but sadly nothing matched my requirement list (bar a 185 which was working as ECS back to the depot having arrived from York, and a 150/1 from Sheffield which didnt really give any sort of decent connection for its next working). In the end I decided to jump onto dud 323231 (after confusing the Virgin gateline assistant with my Basingstoke issued rover) for the run to Stockport to intercept an ATW service from Wales, sadly it was dud Hungry Hungry Hippo 107 (better than the 150 which arrived an hour earlier!).
Time to grab some items for the trip back to Watford Junction, before I took up my seat on dud 390117 (kicking some drunken Stoke passengers out), the train emptied out a lot at Stoke and after Milton Keynes I counted 7 passengers (including myself) in coach C. I was meant to alight at Watford Junction to catch a Southern service down the West London Line to Clapham, however Southern being Southern meant it had been cancelled, so I remained on board the 390 to Euston.
To the Northern Line, and sadly my luck had run out with a couple duds, and with the next service after the 3rd being 6 minutes away I cut my losses for a ride on a quiet 51624/51625 to Waterloo, exiting the underground and walking across to 159106 which was working the 23:40 service. By this point I think my energy resources had dried out, and it didnt help sitting opposite a grumpy old man moaning about having to catch the noisy diesel back to Basingstoke alongside other items. It was a slow trip after Rayners Park area as the fast line was closed for engineering works and we got caught behind a stopping service. Finally after Surbiton the 159 rejoined the fast line but the damage was done with a 10 minute delay into Woking, then on towards home.
Once at Grateley, it was a short walk to the car to drive home, where I collapsed without time to reflect on a good day with 5 more Northern DMUs falling, plus a handful of trams. As you might have guessed with the timing of this report I had Sunday off to try and recover from a cold and a busy week, sadly no London trip for me today.