• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
Westerfield is strange, only served by Lowestoft trains on Sundays (bar the odd late evening/early morning weekday service).

Something I plan to exploit when I visit that area
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
My personal guess for Kite's shack score number 2,500 is Sugar Loaf. Should he ever get over this way...;)

You need 157 Central line sets Kite, I need 236 of them. It's going to take some time to deal with those! Lots of BSBs in the Central Core for both of us in 2017 then, indeed once I clear the shacks on the Central I'll be hardcore leaping to fill the book...

A most productive time, despite the 90 failure, indeed getting more shacks than you originally planned is extremely good going. I won't be doing that walk to Derby Road, that's for sure! The Oulton Broad walk sounds reasonable, and I'm making some mental notes for how to deal with the shacks on that line from the way you did them. I might finally clear my non-ScotFail 170s after all!

Yes as per usual, I have Moves Envy. October will definitely see me spending a good couple of hardcore bashing up that way now. It's been over 2 years since my last and short visit, not helped by the withdrawal of the Birmingham to Norwich MegaBus route.

Many congratulations on clearing GA's 170s and 153s, your requirements over there are enough to make us all jealous!

As always, an excellent read although I bet you were glad to have your own bed upon arrival home!
 

AJM580

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2016
Messages
655
Location
Norwich
Glad you had a productive day in AGA. Well done on clearing the AGA 170/153's (no surprise that all AGA dmus are well and truly dud for me). No doubt you have got a plan in for the last few shacks this way and the last couple of 156s
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
Glad you had a productive day in AGA. Well done on clearing the AGA 170/153's (no surprise that all AGA dmus are well and truly dud for me). No doubt you have got a plan in for the last few shacks this way and the last couple of 156s

West Runton on a random Sunday, probably as a simple day return (might look into doing those two shacks on the Felixstowe line as well, trying to time it to make use of the Lowestoft trains calling at Westerfield to avoid an hour fester.

Those last couple 156s might be a case of leaving until next year when I try and get that loco hauled set.

Edit

Although looking into it, my free Sundays from now until October has various engineering works on, either south of Witham or north of Ipswich so it will be via Cambridge for West Runton (making sure I'm a train which calls there as it looks to be 2 hourly on Sundays)
 
Last edited:

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2012
Messages
2,131
Location
Rochdale
Is the Kings Lynn to Cromer "Coasthopper" bus service of any use to you?

Takes a while (2.5 hours from Kings Lynn to West Runton; hourly all day on Sundays, with a few extra services in the evening And you can stop off enroute and grice the Wells and Walsingham Railway, which had a rather splendid Garratt loco in service when I visited many years ago! :)
 
Last edited:

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Apart form the skoda being stupid (no change there) it sounds like a great time! I did approve at your dusty action! Congrats on clearing the 153s and reaching 2000 shacks!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
I forgot to mention, anybody following me on Twitter I'm trying to do a running update of my latest trip using the hash tag #FONE

:)
 

Kristofferson

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2012
Messages
1,132
I'm always impressed by your clear outs, and this one is no different! It seems every time you venture out, you clear a class!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
Took me the best part of 2 days to vatch up on your trevails.

Congrats indeed for reaching the 2k mark on shacks amd clearing the GA dogboxes.

As usual a great read kite.
 

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
Congratulations on reaching 2000 stations, I'm only about 1900 behind you :)
It's a shame the 90 didn't burst a couple of miles North of Diss, then you could have roped in a bit of bonus 66 haulage.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
Wheres the latest installment?

I'm making use of some enforced time off work (building works) with the sunny weather to have a few days in Kent :)

Although I know you can't wait to hear about getting some good pacer thrash on Saturday morning heading north from Newcastle ;)
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
Not bad for some, building work, that must I assume be pritty major, resulting in a bash

Upgrading parts in the electrial supply room and fitting a new boiler & heating system

Hence no electric or water this week, but should mean come winter we won't be freezing. Although it has come out of my annual leave for the year
 

Gathursty

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
2,651
Location
Wigan
Well done on getting number 2000!!! That's a huge achievement. My 2000th was Morden South xD
 
Last edited:

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
Many a congratulation is in order for clearing 2000 UK Shacks! It just never seems to stop in your part of the forum.

Never a truer word spoken Alex. Even in the time Ive frequented this forum, the trips and planning section has grown massively. Many new folk, sharing their journey's and seeing people like palmersears and myself, getting inspiration to get out far n wide. I dunno if the Kites, tech, keith, 55013, roebuck, andy b, adrock, young quinn, my fellow geordie richard etc realise, when your out blazing a trail, sharing your wisdom to the likes of me, we follow in their slip stream and invariably fill gaps in our platform 5s, NREAs or whatever publication of your choice.

All great reading too. Keep em coming lads and Many thanks.

Sorry hope this post doesnt hijack your thread kite.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
If my trip reports inspire fellow enthusiasts, or manage to advise on anything bashing related, then my work is done. I do enjoy telling the tale of course too!

I do get Moves Envy quite a lot from reading the many trip reports mind :lol: I also pick up bits and bobs too mind, although I do forget a lot of the useful bits when I'm out and about :oops:
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
Normal service will resume next week when I'm back at work :)

(I seriously need to get another job, one which is more of a challenge to my numbers mind)

Although my plan for today has been changed due to an incident involving my foot being unable to ride a bike :(
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Normal service will resume next week when I'm back at work :)

(I seriously need to get another job, one which is more of a challenge to my numbers mind)

Although my plan for today has been changed due to an incident involving my foot being unable to ride a bike :(

I'll swap with you, you'll be wanting your old job back sharpish :lol:
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
10th August – Freedom of the North East Day 1 (Parsley)

The idea of this 5 day trip to the North East was to cover the various stations around the North East, plus a good session on the Tyne & Wear Metro, after considering the ticketing options I decided to go for the 4 in 8 Freedom of the North East rover, as it gave me extra validity north of Newcastle (and south of Northallerton), so with my handy bike in hand, I set off for a short walk to Grateley in time for the 08:59 towards Waterloo, which gave me an hour to get across to Kings Cross for the 11:21 Grand Central service towards Sunderland.

159011 & 159018 rolled in and it was full and standing, first off-peak service twined with coming all the way up from Exeter with the summer holidays in full swing and that pesky £16 offer. I managed to get a seat after Andover where a couple people bailed, however meant I could stay on the train to clear 159018 for 1000 miles, member 29 out of 30 of that club. An on-time arrival into Waterloo, giving me time to swing via Sainsburys outside to pick up some lunch before heading to the Bakerloo line, which was quite warm, so I jumped onto the first service, which had winner 3532 leading 3235 for the 1 mile 37 chain journey to Oxford Circus, crossing over to the Victoria line where after a couple dud services, it was 11093/11094 taking me forward to Kings Cross St Pancras.

Out of the heat of the underground and towards the Grand Central 180 which was sitting on one of the platforms, making a note that it was required 180101, taking up my seat in coach C, for a busy service (not a lot of empty seats in that coach which I could see), departing pretty much bang on time for a non-stop run towards York, slowing down a couple times as it caught up with an East Coast stopping service bound for York a few times. The ride of the 180 on the East Coast main-line beats Mk4s hands down and even beats a HST.

Anyhow as usual the service emptied out a bit at York, but I remained on board to score my first shack of the trip with Thirsk, crossing over the footbridge to reach the southbound platform (platforms are on the slow lines, allowing non-stop services to loop stopping services), just as a Grand Central HST rolled in. A few extra miles for 43484 & 43468 to take me back down to York, where I had a couple options to get me to Newcastle, either a TPE service or a VTEC service, after seeking out gem that the VTEC featured a dud 91, I decided to board dud quiet 185144 (which was in my book as an Oxford Road/Piccadilly leap) for the long run north to Newcastle (bring on the loco hauled sets for this route).

As I arrived a bit earlier than expected (as I had planned not to have been able to catch that HST), I spotted required 156454 sat in a platform heading towards Carlisle, so it was to the Metro Centre, one of the few shacks I already had in this area, for a short wait before a “spotty” 156 was due from Glasgow, and luck was on my side as winner 156434 rolled in to get introduced to my haulage sheet. To the Metro station, to purchase a day ticket for zones A & B (or is it 1 & 2?), as I was heading to check into my hotel for the next few days to ditch some of the weight from my bag, ready for a couple bike rides.

My only previous experience with the Tyne & Wear metro was with a Sunday in October 14 where I covered the system for coverage, so apart from the terminal stations and the main interchange (Momument, Central Station, South Gosforth & Pelaw) stations it was uncovered, with only 8 units previously covered so 82 units remained on my list, so no surprise it was winners 4006/4063 to take me to West Jesmond, where I went to check in, ditching most of the weight from my backpack before heading back onto the road, riding back to the station for a spot of linear hopping for the sake of wasting time with the 3 minute peak-time frequencies.

So it was 4033/4022 for the short hop to Jesmond half in, half out of the tunnel, a couple minutes later 4042/4012 to the less famous Haymarket (nothing to see here, just an island platform in the city centre tunnel). 4020/4024 were next to Monument, followed by 4060/4073 back to Central Station. With 10 minutes to waste before the 17:15 service towards Morpeth would roll in, a last minute set swap as the 156 which rolled in from the Metro Centre (or is it Metrocentre without the space?) got swapped with dud 142064 (which had escaped from Newton Heath) for the thrashy run northbound on the ECML (a well loaded pacer) to the end of the service at Morpeth.

My bike was unfolded as I made my way through the subway and out to the road, in the light rain (bugger it) for the near 3 mile ride via Morpeth itself, thankfully a cycle path appearing onto the A197 as it met a massive hill, but I had time on my side as I arrived at Pegswood, the station which sees one northbound service and two southbound services a day. Needless to say the platforms were a tad bare, a little waiting shelter on the Southbound platform, with sod-all on the northbound platform. Anyhow it wasn’t long before winner 156468 rolled in, causing a shock to the guard as “someone boarded at Pegswood”, for the near 10 mile run north to Ackington.

Loadings on the evening Chathill express was 2 other passengers, of which 1 alighted with me at Ackington, a station in the middle of nowhere it seemed like (sadly I can’t recall if either platform had anything to sit on, other than it appeared to be a long walk between them). My bike remained unfolded, as I set off on another short ride, this time a mere 6.4 miles of riding, mixed with walking up hills, mixed up with the rain. However you could probably guess which station I was riding to...

....Yep, it was the 3rd of the 4 very limited served shacks north of Newcastle, Widdrington, this station featured a nice little waiting shelter (no seats), a level crossing, and a handy Co-Op on the west side of the station. Station bashers beware, the level crossing came down a good 5 minutes before 156468 reappeared from the north (1 other passenger). Anyhow with 156468 both a super-dud and member of the 10 mile club, I stayed on board all the way down to Newcastle and out the other side to reach Wylam.

Wylam is a level crossing station, with a pub next to the platforms; however it has a footbridge and a signal box high up away from the platforms. A short wait before dud 142026 rolled in to take me to Newcastle, I was meant to stay on this unit to reach Heworth, however it was another set swap, swapping to dud 142087 for the short run down to Heworth station. A short walk took me to the Metro station of the same name (although has anybody noticed the slight flaw with the barriers only protecting one exit, as ticket dodgers could exit via the National Rail Newcastle bound platform?

Anyhow a short wait as 4030/4079 took me forward to Felling, 4010/4076 kept up my winning run with a hop to the island platform at Gateshead Stadium. 4050/4031 entered my book next to the underground Gateshead before 4066/4081 took me over the River Tyne, speeding through Central station to Ilford Road, where I went to discover how to change platforms...

...Ilford Road metro station makes Uphall easy, I gave up as I had no clue (looking at a map it’s a long walk via a roadbridge), back to the station and 4047/4035 took me to South Gosforth which has a handy footbridge, as duds from earlier 4033/4022 took me back to West Jesmond, with a push of the bike back to the hotel, I was glad to see the pillow, and not to worry about bringing the bike with me for the remainder of the trip. One thing of note was a revenue blockade at Jesmond station which caught a couple passengers out, and one of the best seats in the house is right at the back, watching the lights of the platforms disappear into the darkness of the tunnels

Anyhow, a productive first day with some very annoying shacks out of the way, here be some pictures:

142064 at Morpeth:


Pegswood:


156468 departs Ackington:


The name of the area around Widdrington Station is called Widdrington Station, don’t go to Widdrington village as that is around 2 miles away:


Another station on the “is under OHLE, but served only by DMUs” list:


An unknown voyager dashes past:


Beware of the level crossing:


Good views from the signal box at Wylam:
 
Last edited:

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
A good first day there. I'm torn between doing a FONE next year with my dad or heading to Scotland again. I need an awful lot of the metro too.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Firstly, you're mental for booking on a 180 and even more mental for flagging a milkfloat from York to Newcastle in favour of a diesel dez ;)! I can't believe that I got Thirsk over a year before you as well! Sounds like a good first day with a few tough shacks in the bag. Shame you got a couple of pacers too though...
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
Firstly, you're mental for booking on a 180 and even more mental for flagging a milkfloat from York to Newcastle in favour of a diesel dez ;)! I can't believe that I got Thirsk over a year before you as well! Sounds like a good first day with a few tough shacks in the bag. Shame you got a couple of pacers too though...

Grand Central was cheaper than Virgin East Coast, and 180s are a much better ride on the ECML than Mk4s. Also it was the first time on a 185 between York & Darlington so I wanted to try it out on a moderately empty 185 rather than an unknown service from London.

Anyhow here comes the next couple days:

11th August – Freedom of the North East, Day 2 (Sage)

After a decent night’s kip, it was an early start for me, as I walked to West Jesmond metro station, purchasing my day ticket with the aim of getting some more stations before my main FONE ticket became valid. The first service which rolled up was for South Hylton which was good as I was aiming for the stations on the ‘shared’ line between Pelaw & Sunderland. It was onto duds 4033/4022 for the long run down to Brockley Whins, with a 12 or so minute wait for duds 4066/4081 to Seaburn (another station where it appears to be quite a walk between platforms, so I remained on the same side).

Next up was dud 4053 leading winner 4029 to St Peter’s which has an interesting glass floor, but on top of an embankment so another linear hop with 4020/4024 taking me to the Batcave of the North, otherwise known as Sunderland. I had time to dash to the daylight and purchase a day return to Seaham to get a semi-awkward shack out of the way (I had originally planned to do it on the Friday but decided to get it out of the way using some peak-time extras). Heading back downstairs to the cave, and I jumped onto 142064 with its lovely bench seating for the short run to Seaham, where the talk of it being slightly hard to change platforms are correct, a good 5 minutes via a road underpass to reach the other side with time to spare before 142084 rolled in to take me back to the Batcave of the North.

A short wait and my luck finally turned with winners 4080/4046 to the Stadium of Light, pausing for a moment before 4015/4026 to the level crossing shack at East Boldon, before duds 4006/4063 took me to Heworth with a fast walk to the National Rail platforms to jump onto dud 142090 to take me to the Metro Centre station. A short wait (via Subway for a sausage baguette) and it was back to Newcastle on dud 142022, a time wasting move to put me into position for my first main move of the day, the 09:45 (or so) East Coast service towards Edinburgh, but it gave me time at Newcastle to visit Sainsburys to pick up lunch items for later.

In rolled winner 91129 hauling some lovely bouncy Mk4 coaches with DVT 82222 at the rear, the DVT being new to me. I managed to find a seat on this busy-ish service for the nice run northbound to the Scottish border at Berwick-Upon-Tweed, a nice island platform with a grand station building, for my final VTEC managed station. A model of 43300 was being used as a flower-pot which added a touch of colour to the station, but after seeking out information on a HST which was working from Aberdeen, being dud I decided not to risk the +5 at Darlington, and jumped on the next southbound service, dud 221128. I must say the ride quality of this 221 puts the Mk4s to shame, easy enough to get a table seat in coach B as I settled down to watch the scenery heading back down south.

A quick check of RTT saw a delayed VTEC service behind us, so after checking it was on the move (seemed to have got caught at Almouth for a few minutes), I bailed from the super-voyager at Durham, for a wait. I was expecting to see the headlights of a DVT coming into the station; however it was a HST with dud 43311 leading 43319 [which I managed to grab when at Darlington]. The delay meant my connection with the next Saltburn bound service was going to be tight, however I gambled on the signallers wanting to clear the HST from the Darlington station loop before allowing the 142 to depart, and I was proved right. Although it wasn’t easy to alight as I got caught behind a normal who decided to stand in the doorway by random and was confused with how to open a Mk3 door.

A short walk and I took a seat on dud 142017 (well, at first it was a stand by the door to grab the ID of the rear powercar of the HST), to bound me the just over 8 mile journey to Allen’s West, a level crossing station, where I had a roughly 15 minute wait (5 minute delay caused by waiting for the HST to clear before 142078 took me to the hourly served South Bank, which is a bit of a bleak station in the former industrial heart of Middlesbrough, overlooks a lovely scrapyard. A station you wouldn’t want to be in at night. However my 15 minute fester flew by as 142017 returned from Saltburn to take me to Middlesbrough itself, where I had planned to waste some time by grabbing a Whitby bound service to get one of the stations towards Nunthorpe, however that had been ‘delayed’ and lost around Great Ayton [going by RTT], so with that plan out of the window I decided to head back east to Redcar East on 142015, making use of the road subway to cross over to the other side, where I bumped into Adele and she said “hello”.

My original plan was to walk the rough mile between Redcar stations, however that plan went into the bin due to running early, so it was onto dud 142025 to Redcar Central, where sadly the number of red cars around wasn’t that many. A large Morrisons next to the station with a footbridge between platforms (be at the front of the units). A level crossing at the eastern end of the station was interesting as it featured barriers which were horizontal and came out across the road (rather than the usual barriers which came down). An old station building which looked like it needs a lot of TLC, but my wait wasn’t for long before a delayed 142017 took me to Longbeck.

Over the tall footbridge (good views of the area) and to the other platform, where it wasn’t long before 142017 returned to take me to Marske, sadly the barriers on the level crossing didn’t go up in between trains so I had a 20 minute fester before 142025 rolled in to take me to the end of the line at Saltburn, as I changed ends grabbing a good seat at the back of the unit for the 16:30 service towards Bishop Auckland, one of my ‘required’ moves on this trip as it called at British Steel Redcar, the station which serves the closed steel works, and as the station is private land, being on a train which calls there counts in my book (rather than walking to the entrance to find it locked closed). I can see British Steel Redcar being reduced even more in frequency to maybe once a week, as it is a station sadly lacking any point (the rails into the steel works are rusting away, vegetation taking over).

Anyhow, after a quick standing on the platform for a photo, it was back onto 142025 for the long run to Shildon. The line towards Bishop Auckland is normally 2 hourly, but there are some times of the day where it is hourly, so best to make use of the extra services. Shildon is a nice station, next to an outpost of the National Railway Museum, but not a lot else around. 20 or so minutes later 142025 returned to take me to Heighington, a level crossing shack with a view of the new Hitachi factory.

The next Bishop Auckland bound service was a bit delayed, so I took a seat to read my book, waiting for the sound of the level crossing to come down signalling the arrival of 142017 from the single track section of the line to take me to Newton Aycliffe, a station with wooden platforms, and not really a lot else (housing mainly, and what appeared to be a cycle path running alongside the main line towards Shildon. A short wait and 142017 reappeared taking me back west, passing the test track of the Hitachi factory to the final station on the Bishop Auckland line, North Road (Darlington). Next to another railway museum (Head of Steam), the station itself was a basic single platform with an old shed at the eastern end of the platform, but it was time to have a walk.

Passing many pizza takeaways (mmm Pizza), I eventually reached Darlington station, with news that a required 43 was meant to be coming up from London. Darlington station is a bit bleak at 7pm in the evening, everything closed down shop wise. First up was 91101 “Flying Scotsman” heading northbound, but as that was dud I turned it down to await the Edinburgh ‘fast’ service. 43308 was leading winner 43313 to zoom me back to Newcastle. The end of a successful day clearing out the majority of shacks between Bishop Auckland & Saltburn, leaving just two to get into my book

But I wasn’t finished yet, as I had a short walk to Monument via Sainsburys Local for some dinner, and it was time for some more Tyne & Wear Metro bashing, this time the line towards the airport was in my sight. Winners 4019/4045 took me to Wansbeck Road, going underneath the road bridge to reach the other platform to catch duds 4063/4006 back one stop to Regent Centre. Over the footbridge and onto winners 4089/4036 to Kingston Park using the level crossing to get between platforms to score 4028/4088 back to Fawdon. Another level crossing shack with a short wait before winners 4087/4039 took me to Bank Foot, where I had a 15 minute wait before winners 4071/4007 took me to the 2nd last shack on the line at Callerton Parkway, using the level crossing as fresh duds 4039/4087 took me back to West Jesmond.

A short walk back to the hotel, giving me time to reflect on my day, scoring British Steel Redcar was a highlight, but so was clearing the line towards Bishop Auckland, sadly no winning pacers, just a couple East Coast machines. I was happy, and here are some random pictures:

A mini 43300 as a flower-pot:


A grand old station building at Berwick-Upon-Tweed:


Grey skies crossing the Royal Border Bridge:


Allens West with a invisible pacer


South Bank:


Bluecar East: ;)


142025 departing Redcar Central:


The building needing some TLC:


Beware any station bashers, trains stop right at the end of the platform away from the footbridge:


A modern footbridge at Longbeck:


I can see water!


And the old steel works (:()


Pacers pass at Marske (somehow I don't see Quinn doing this line in any sort of hurry!)


Redcar British Steel:


Freedom at Shildon:


142025 departing Heighington:


The beast of 142017 at Newton Aycliffe:


North Road (Darlington) (Not like you can confuse it with the former Plymouth North Road)


----------------

12th August – Freedom of the North East Day 3 (Interlude)

Clever people might have noticed that I’m on a Freedom of the North East flexi-rover, which is 4 days out of 8, but I mentioned this was a 5 day trip. Day 3 wasn’t going to be on the rover, but on a “Network one day ticket” covering the Tyne & Wear metro, plus the railway out towards Blaydon, as I had a plan to get Blaydon into the book as it is a slightly annoying station frequency wise (off-peak it is 2 hourly with trains passing nearby giving a tight +4).

But first I had unfinished business with the shared line, so it was another early start with a walk to West Jesmond with duds 4047/4035 taking me down the line to Fellgate, a station on an embankment involving a long walk to the other platform, took me a good 5 minutes missing a connection. 15 minutes later duds 4071/4007 rolled in to take me to Heworth, where I had an option to catching either the next Northern service to Sunderland, or a metro towards Newcastle Central. The pacer heading towards Sunderland was dud, so it was across to the metro platform as winners 4062/4038 took me to Central Station.

Heading out of the metro and to the main concourse, a short walk took me to dud 142025 back down the line to Heworth, before crossing over to the other platform with dud 142094 taking me back towards Newcastle, out the other side to reach Blaydon. A handy footbridge meant I made the +5 to a pair of pacers (how rare), with dud 142087 leading 142096 going into Newcastle via the High level bridge, and reversing back out to take me to the Batcave of the North at Sunderland.

With 10 minutes to kill before the next service, I went for a short walk to Park Lane, for a short wait before duds 4033/4022 took me to University, but in summary my next moves were:
4045/4019 to Pallion (large footbridge)
4022/4033 to Millfield (roadbridge, nothing else around apart from some grumpy old folks)
4019/4045 to Pelaw (dud station)
4063/4006 to Jarrow (missed the train heading back towards Pelaw, crossing point on a single track section)
4031/4050 to Simonside (embankment station, good +3 to reach other platform)
4006/4063 to Bede (can’t actually remember much about this station)
4042/4012 to Chichester (has ticket barriers, and not a lot else)
4012/4042 back to Tyne Dock (looked like a long footbridge)
4003/4055 to Hebburn (another long footbridge)
4074/4065 to Central Station

It was time for a quick toilet break, and also to grab some lunch before visiting the long route via the coast.

4035/4047 to Monument, having just missed a Coast bound train (platform information screen is rubbish as it only starts tracking the next service when it departs St James, so most of the time it is blank).
4042/4012 to Byker (racing a 156 on route to Morpeth)
4074/4065 to Manors (another missed connection giving me a 12 minute wait, yep, same pair of units I had earlier to Central)
4065/4074 to Chillingham Road
A short walk along the road passing a bus depot and workshop for Siemens to reach Walkergate station
4037/4023 to Hadrian Road (think it was a footbridge)
4078/4067 to Wallsend (nice Latin signs, pedestrian underpass)
4079/4030 to Percy Main (road underpass to other platform)
4088/4028 to Howdon (level crossing)
4057/4048 to Meadow Well, for a 12 minute rest
4067 & 4078 to North Shields.

A short break at North Shields, as I went in search for a toilet, failing in my quest, nice little shopping centre, but infested by Chuggers (I counted at least 3 different charity causes wanting you to sign up to pay them lots of money in commission).

4028/4088 to Tynemouth (a short break at a very nice station building, I could tell this is former BR)
4073/4060 to Whitley Bay, with a short walk back along the road to Cullercoates (connection is a +1 or so, with a footbridge, bit tight for my liking).
4041/4061 to West Monkseaton, a fast walk to the other platform using the footbridge
4003/4055 to Monkseaton (road bridge)
4025/4049 to Northumberland Park (island platform, with freight line towards the coast running alongside)
4023/4037 to Shiremoor (think it was a footbridge)
4013/4075 to Benton
4048/4057 to Palmersville
4063/4006 to Longbenton
4015/4026 to Four Lane Ends

And I had done it, all stations visited on the Tyne & Wear Metro, and in a lot shorter time than I was expecting, as it was only just past 4pm. Four Lane Ends bus interchange had toilets, however they wanted 50p to use them, so I refused (as I don’t pay for toilets as they should be a free service, especially at a bus station). I was thinking what to do, so through to go Metro unit hunting in the ‘core’ section between South Gosforth & Pelaw, where the 3 minute frequencies had just started kicking out units from the depot, so a good chance for some linear hopping.

4042/4012 to South Gosforth (where I didn’t have long to wait)
4069/4051 to Illford Road
4001/4040 to West Jesmond
4017/4005 to Jesmond
4034/4085 to Haymarket
4009/4068 to Monument
4082/4054 to Central Station (a good fester here due to a few dud units showing up)
4086/4090 to Gateshead
4056/4044 to Gateshead Stadium (quite busy this service, and another short fester due to dud units, keeping an eye on the time, not helped with dodgy PIS)
4058/4008 to Felling
4072/4004 back to Gateshead Stadium, for a 20 minute wait (as a lot of the Pelaw short workings were coming back)
4069/4051 to Felling
4067/4078 to Heworth, where I had a couple choices of northern units, although I was following the crowds exiting the station via a manual gate, although the member of staff could learn some manners as he barked that the manual gate was only for season tickets, daily tickets must go via the barriers. Like a tourist was meant to know that rule, following the crowd.

Anyhow the next service towards Sunderland was dud, so over to the other platform to board dud 156443 heading towards Newcastle, and I felt much better after using the toilet. A quick check of RTT highlighted a +5 or so at Metro Centre, with the train getting busy (as it was bound for Carlisle) at Newcastle, but it looked like a lot of passengers were alighting at Metro Centre as it pulled in, however one passenger who made use of the toilet after Newcastle was inpatient and forced his way back through the crowd waiting to alight to get back to their seat (wouldn’t it have been better to wait a minute for the passengers standing to clear?).

Dud 142087 took me back to Heworth, where after 20 or so minutes of festering keeping an eye out for any required metro units not yet spotted, I called it a day with 156469 taking me back to Newcastle. Nothing of interest floating around the station (not like I could do much with my day rover ticket), so after grabbing some food, it was down to the metro for one last trip on 4089/4036 back to West Jesmond, the end of a long and productive day, all the stations cleared on the system, and a mere 14 Metro units remain.

It was a quick shower before heading to bed, as it was another early start for the Saturday morning, with a certain limited service station on my wish-list.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
13th August – Freedom of the North East Day 4 (Rosemary)

A frankly silly early start (I’m looking forward to my late start on the Sunday), as I walked to West Jesmond, picking up a zone A day ticket, and jumped on the first service southbound, formed of 4076/4010 to Monument, for a short wait before 4047/4035 took me to Central Station. Swinging via Sainsburys for an early breakfast before walking to platform 1 to join 2 other passengers on the 05:55 service to Chathill, formed this morning of 142022 for a very thrashy run as the early morning northbound service runs fast from Morpeth to Alnmouth. Both the other passengers alighted at Morpeth, but a couple cyclists boarded for the run to Chathill, the northernmost point of the Northern empire, and a station which caused me a couple issues thinking wise at what is the station I’ve passed through the most without ever stopping at.

Anyhow, after falling over a flowerpot (oops), I crossed over to the other platform, with a family joining me at the colourful station (well looked after for its two trains a day). A 91 rushed through on route to Edinburgh and a voyager rushed through on route to Plymouth (probably), before the level crossing closed a good 4 minutes before 142022 returned from a loop. It was a short run down to the next stop at Alnmouth for Alnwick, with a couple photos before the next southbound service, due 5 or so minutes afterwards.

Winner (not like I knew at the time) DVT 82209 was leading dud 91112, as I took a seat for the southbound run to Newcastle, calling at Morpeth (I had never previously called at this station prior to this week, and now I’ve called on Northern, XC & VTEC!). A short walk at Newcastle to platform 1, where I jumped onto 142078 for the tiny distance to Manors, for a 10 minute wait for dud 142022 to roll in (shocking the guard) back to Newcastle. A 5 minute connection as I walked over to dud 156475 heading towards Carlisle for the run towards Stocksfield, a station with a rather nice footbridge, and a nearby shop (used to purchase a newspaper for later on).

My aim for the rest of the day was to clear my remaining shacks between Hexham & Nunthorpe, so it wasn’t a long wait before winner (blimey a required Northern unit popping up, how rare) 156451 took me the 2 and a half miles to Prudhoe, a level crossing shack with another lovely footbridge (in terms of the design of the metalwork). It was a short wait at Prudhoe before 142025 rolled in to take me to Corbridge which didn’t look like it had much around (although I see evidence where this line had a landslip earlier in the early). A short wait (looked like the station building has been turned into an Indian restaurant) before 142025 returned to take me to Riding Mill another station which didn’t look like it had much around.

I was hoping the next service would be a 156 as I would be on it for a while, but that would be in another 30 or so minutes, and this station has WiFi provided by Northern (which cut down the fester time by checking up on the news and other stuff). My wish came true as dud 156469 rolled in to take me to Hexham. A quick visit to the toilet before re-boarding the 156 in the other carriage, as I settled down for the long service down the Durham coast to Gypsy Lane, so pretty much the entire service, bar a few chains at the end (as you can see the platforms at Nunthorpe from the single platform at Gypsy Lane).

20 minutes later, 156469 started moving, the level crossing barriers came down (the lane itself had been blocked to road traffic), and it took me just over a mile to Marton. Full of football ‘fans’ as it appeared Middlesbrough were at home. In theory you can walk the short distance to the next station with enough time to spare, but why walk as a service from Whitby was due. A busy dud 156487 rolled in to take me the tiny distance to James Cook University Hospital Station (says James Cook on the signs, but the station announcements are for the full name). A modern platform serving the hospital complex, but with no car stop boards it was a job trying to figure out where the next service would stop.

142087 was the next unit which popped up to take me to Nunthorpe a modest two platform station on a crossing loop. The pacer soon disappeared to reverse back to the other platform, however I disappeared to a local Spar to pick up a couple bits of eat (ended up with some pork pies) and some cold drink, before I rejoined a busy 142087 heading back northbound. The guard had his work cut out selling tickets as well as doing dispatch duties as none of the small stations around here had TVMs, and are quite close together. Add in a lot of football supporters trying to get a free ride, I hoped there was some sort of revenue block at Middlesbrough to make sure everybody had a ticket. After Middlesbrough the train emptied out, the stations became further apart and another guard joined. A bouncy slow run up the Durham coast as I arrived at Hartlepool.

A run-down seaside down is the best way to describe it, I headed out of the station and the street was a bit of a let-down, the busiest place was the gambling shop. However as I didn’t want to be mistaken for a French Spy, I returned to the single platform (plus a bay platform used mostly by those Sunday services from Darlington), passing the real ale bar, and joined fresh dud 156451 on the run down to Stockton, the birthplace of the railways. 142095/142068 were up next back up the coast to Seaton Carew, with a Grand Central HST rushing pass as the pacers departed, however I had spotted a little Sainsburys on the other side of a busy road, with no means of crossing said road (no traffic lights that I could see) so I had to wait for a break in traffic to grab a late lunch. Back to the basic platform, for a short wait before 142025 returned from Hexham to take me to Billingham. Which is a nice island platform with a nearby Tesco (useful for anybody wanting to use it for a supply raid), but not a lot else that I could see. I didn’t explore for long because I had one last station in my target.

156451 returned wanting an entry into the 156 “50-mile” club, where I had the choice of either a tight +3 at Metro Centre, or a fester at Newcastle. I decided to fester in Newcastle (my original plan was to now walk the short distance to Manors, but I got that earlier on). Instead it was a short wait for the next Morpeth bound service, formed of a busy 156454 to take me to Cramlington, busy due to the football, and with the ticket gates at Newcastle wide open gave all those lovely football fans a free ride home (as the guard couldn’t get through checking/selling tickets). Anyhow with Cramlington done, that is the ECML cleared from London Kings Cross all the way to Dunbar, with all stations called at.

The usual 30 minute fester at Cramlington, watching a couple Virgin services zooming pass, thinking that the station I’ve gone through the most without ever calling at is probably Broomfleet (at 9 passes). Anyhow 156454 soon returned to take me back to Newcastle platform 1, where I spotted a required 156 on the “dry” Carlisle service from platform 2, with passengers only being allowed on via the local door with security checking for any alcohol and tickets. I was soon on board winner 156490 for the run to Metro Centre, with a delayed Spotty 156 due I went for a walk to grab some food from KFC inside the Metro Centre itself (quite a large shopping centre). It was a trip via the High Level bridge which made a chance.

156454 came and went with a Metro Centre – Middlesbrough service, soaking up most of the crowd from the platform, but sadly my wait wasn’t for anything required as dud 156512 rolled in to take me back to Newcastle, again via the high level bridge, the end of a successful day. With nothing else around the station of interest, I headed down to the metro and duds 4065/4074 took me back to West Jesmond, for a lazy night, packing my bag back up for the going home the following day.

Anyhow, some more pretty pictures of Pacers and other stuff:
142022 departs Chathill heading to the loop:

I think someone might be waiting for a long time to catch a train for Berwick and the North from that platform!


A lovely station building:


An unknown Voyager dashing through on route to the sunny South West:


Whereas 91102 is heading to Scotland:


Good news Quinn, the next train is a 156... you only have to wait 11 and a half hours for it ;)


142022 at Alnmouth for Alnwick:


The quite bleak Manors:


What a lovely footbridge, 156475 departing Stocksfield:


156451 at Prudhoe:

Another nice footbridge:


156481 dashing through Corbridge as 142025 gets ready to depart:


The countryside:


It’s 142025 again, this time running away from Riding Mill:


Gyspy Lane:


156469 departing Marton:


James Cook:


142087 at Nunthorpe:


The disused platform at Hartlepool with the little used bay on the right hand side:


Stockton, The birthplace of the railway:


Seaton Carew... Has a pacer:


And a HST:


The view from the footbridge at Billingham:


“We are Northern” branded 156454 at Cramlington:


91110 “For the Fallen” rushes pass:


As 43315 comes the other way from Aberdeen:
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
That was a beast of a read! What an epic clearout you had, going from 82 to 14 requirements on the Metro! :shock:

Extremely productive time, fair game!
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
I really enjoyed the read Kite, as well as the photos. Sounds like you had an epic trip!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
14th August – Freedom of the North East, Day 5 (Thyme)

It was the final day of the rover, and time to head home, but a later start than the last few days was nice, I actually had breakfast in the hotel. Handing in my keys and checking out, it was a final walk to West Jesmond metro station, purchasing a single ticket to take me to Central on 4087/4039, exiting the metro for the last time for probably a while. My mission today was to get a certain station which hangs around the top of the “least used” stations lists, I think you know which one that is ;)

I had a couple options to take me down to Darlington in time for the 11:05 to Hartlepool, either a TPE or a 91. The 91 was dud, but after checking the TPE was also dud I decided to head down to the station on the loop in front of 91102 “City of York” with 82207 leading. I had the option of a small linear hop to Dinsdale but that turned out to be mega-dud 156454 (blimey a 156 on a Bishop Auckland – Saltburn service!), so I settled down to wait for the doors to be unlocked on dud 142021 (frankly my luck with locating any required pacers on this trip has been crap!), noting that a required 91 was spotted heading south on the service from Edinburgh (which I didn’t want to risk it getting late due to the very limited service of the shack I’m aiming for).

A right time departure, and just over 5 and a half miles later the train slowed down to call at Tees-Side Airport, unsurprisingly I was the only person to alight from the train at the ‘airport’ station this morning with nobody boarding on the only service heading east. My bike was unfolded, and I was ready for the short ride back along the line (well not actually along the line, via the road), along the airport access road (rubbish concrete full of potholes), passing the passenger terminal, and onto the road to reach Dinsdale with time to spare, time to have a drink, and fold the bike down for a busy service.

Dud 142096 was up next which I took all the way to Middlesbrough, after noting a service from the Metro Centre was a dud 142 (previously at Newcastle, where I also noted a Whitby service was formed of a pair of pacers). A brief wait before dud 185103 rolled in to form the service towards Manchester Airport, now a super-dud and with the run to Northallerton, a member of the 185, 10-mile club. Another section of the TPE network completed on a 185 (as I’ve never done the section south of Yarn to Northallerton on a TPE, only on a HST & behind a 60), anyhow the point of bailing at Northallerton is that a Virgin service was due around 5 minutes afterwards, so it would be rude to turn down a potential winner.

In rolled 82231, being pushed by required 91107 ‘Skyfall’, happy days, another 91 into my book without even trying. Nearly 30 miles later I alighted at York crossing over to another platform by use of the lifts, to await the next Scarborough service as I had some unfinished business. Pretty much bang on time winner 185119 rolled in to take me to a station well used by Mr Quinn, Malton. I had an hour fester here, although I noticed the previous service terminated into the bay platform 2 at York with passengers transferring to another 185 waiting for them on platform 4. Anyhow after a quick look around, swinging via Morrisons for some lunch, it was back to Malton station to eat said lunch and to relax. A little bell rang to signal the arrival of the next Scarborough train, which was dud 185118 to take me to my final TPE managed station in the shape of Seamer.

An island platform, seemingly by the side of a busy road, it wasn’t the nicest place to wait 5 or so minutes for winner 158845 to roll in from Sheffield to take me the final short distance to Scarborough, where sadly I arrived a day too early for the fair. However this time I stayed longer than before (I think when I last visited in September 14, it was a case of leaping off a 158 and onto a 185 to cover the line). It looks like a traditional sea-side town, nothing really much of interest for me, as I headed back to the station to catch the next Northern service bound for Sheffield. It wasn’t going to be 158845 (no working AC), instead it was dud 158906 (no working AC) leading winner 153324 (working AC in the form of windows), so sitting in the dogbox, which was quite warm (just how long had they been sitting out in the open) but once it got going the air was nice.

Down the East Yorkshire coast, and I alighted at the single platform Bempton, the bike was unfolded for one last bike ride, with a bit of an uphill push before a long downhill run, via some housing before reaching Bridlington station, scoring the micro-grice of the bay platform 6 (I’m guessing this is a station which used to have a lot more platforms than it currently has with platforms 1 to 3 lost under housing. Anyhow it was onto dud 158849 (no working AC), on a Hull ‘stopper’ which called at all stations apart from Arram, which gave me a chance to make mental notes that all the stations appeared to be level crossing shacks, apart from Beverley and maybe Driffield (that name brings back memories of my youth). Anyhow I alighted at Cottingham for no reason other than I felt like it. 15 minutes later dud 158861 rolled in, and I was shocked, it was a Northern 158 with working AC!

Nearly 4 miles later I alighted at Hull Paragon Interchange, noting the 180 which would be taking me back to London would be 180113, but first it was a trip to Selby on the next TPE service, which was formed of winner 185126. Broomfleet gets another pass (I’m pretty sure I’ve been on a train which called at those stations either side of Howden, that being the 13:08 Hull to York on the day I suffered a massive delay due to a points failure). Anyhow I soon alighted at Selby, and had a short wait for 180113 to roll in (after a VT HST rolled in from London on the other platform), I managed to grab my seat without any issues for the nice run along a route I’ve not been on for a while, pausing for a moment outside Doncaster for a platform, and again at Retford for a late running service to zoom pass, before putting the power down for some good speedy running, arriving a couple minutes late, but with time on my side I wasn’t that fussed.

A short walk to the Victoria line and 11031/11032 took me to Oxford Circus, before 3236/3559 took me to Waterloo on the Bakeroven line, out in the cool evening air of Waterloo, time to grab a McDonalds before taking a seat on 159106/159101 forming the 22:15 back towards Grateley, with a short ride back home, the end of a very successful few days in the North East.

Anyhow some pictures from my last day:

The famous Teesside Airport:


Shame there is no access to that road on the right hand side:


Dinsdale:


185119 departing Malton:


Another TOC cleared, 185118118 departing Seamer:


185118 & 158845 rest at Scarborough:


158906 departing Bempton (153324 is in hiding):

The platform itself:


The train shed at Bridlington:


158849 departing Cottingham:


43295 arrives in Selby
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top