• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Wow! That's another three fantastic reads there. And the caning of both shacks and units continues at a pace many of us are simply jealous of but well done to you. You beat me to Lea Bridge although I should have had it on the first day but the wires came down .... Thankfully, despite some operating issues, Lea Bridge has suitably been struck off the lists (before I was even able to add it to my lists). Those tight connections at Lea Bridge are certainly not helped by the variable timekeeping on West Anglia.

I'm sure that your "friendly" lady in the ticket office at Grateley must know her way around the Rovers and Rangers menu of the system better than most by now with your doubtlessly obscure requests.. Like you I tend to pick up rovers/day rangers at the first opportunity so that I do not have to waste time upon arrival at my destination - instead when I get to the target area, it's straight down to the business of the day!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
As for the ticket office lady in Andover (for grateley is unstaffed), I believe she is already married (a few rings on her hands).

Some rovers are easier to find than others, going by the names, but allows me to start straight away, or even save some money by booking to the boundary station (ie when in Derby a few weeks ago I booked to Burton on Trent, or on a wayfarer booking to Macclesfield if that service calls or Stockport can save a couple quid

Lea Bridge should be easy enough to get during an evening peak where it's something like 4 trains from Stratford towards Tottenham Hale ;)

----

30/5 – A Bank Holiday Daytripper

The idea of today was to head to the West Midlands and try and get at least 10 new ‘units’ in my book, a high target considering how my requirements in the West Midlands have fallen quite nicely. Also the idea was for a good social meeting with Techni who was popping up from Hereford for the day. Thankfully the rain & storms which was promised to come never actually arrived (which is good because it’s a bank holiday hence SWT charge full weekday parking rates at both Grateley & Andover, and I can’t do my usual trick of parking on the side of the road due to the local council classing bank holidays as regular weekdays for parking restrictions).

A short walk to the station, and onto the 05:59 service, formed this morning of 159008, which was nice and quiet, but not as quiet as 165125 working towards Reading from Basingstoke, certainly felt like there were only a tiny handful of passengers on board. Grabbing a newspaper from one of the shops at Reading, and a gentle walk over to platform 3 for 220017 to roll into the bay platform, only a single use Voyager from Plymouth to Exeter on the day I cleared Cornwall, and like that day the service was nice and quiet for the spin up to Banbury where I had to change due to my gold card only being valid on Chiltern north of Banbury.

The next Birmingham service was formed of 7 coaches, and having spotted the unit which would be on Leamington – Moor Street stoppers being dud 165008 so I knew I didn’t have to worry about that for the day. 168003 rolled in with 168001 on the rear, 001 being 3-coaches at the moment, and nice to get it cleared for 10 miles as it was my last 168/0 to get last December on a linear hop to High Wycombe from Beaconsfield. Keeping an eye out at Leamington spotted a blue 68 heading south (quick text to Techni who jumped for joy) and dud 165003 on a Stratford working, so I stayed on board to Solihull.

Daytripper purchased from the ticket office at Solihull in double quick time, and back up to the island platform for duds 172220/172212 which I was going to take to Rowley Regis to intercept the other 68 working of the day, however when I spotted a 170 heading the other way on a LM service, I bailed at Acocks Green and went back to Solihull on 172218/172215, as I had previously noted the existence of that Dorridge – Snow Hill service which went back to depot afterwards, sadly it wasn’t one of my last 2 LM 170/6s, and was dud 170635, which doesn’t connect with a Snow Hill – Kidderminster service at Snow Hill.

I had 15 minutes to kill before the arrival of the Chiltern, so I had a quick look to see if I could find the new tram stop, only to discover that it’s quite a walk from the main-line platforms (picture the walk between platform 14 and platform 15 at Paddington), and there was barriers blocking the entrance so it hadn’t opened as planned, so something to note for later. Back to Snow Hill station and down to the platform as 82301 arrived with 68013 pushing the coaches at the rear, so a good chance to double my distance on 68013 with a leap through the tunnel to Moor Street. I had a gentle walk over to New Street as I had news that a required 158 was working its way down towards International, so it was onto dud 350370 working a Wolverhampton stopper to take me to Smethwick Galton Bridge, for another slow walk across platforms to await the service from Wales.

In rolled dud 158826 with winner 158825 on the rear, happy days only one more ATW 158 left to find (which was working a service towards Cardiff today), I fired up RTT to see what was happening as I had around an hour to kill before meeting Techni at University as he was on a required 170, my eyes caught winner 350249 working to Liverpool, so I climbed on board for a quick spin up to Wolverhampton, and across the many stairs to platform 4 to board dud 350109 to take me back to New Street. 30-odd minutes to kill, and the only potential move was a XC towards Cardiff, jump back to New Street for a +5 onto the next Hereford service. That Cardiff unit was dud, so I gave it a miss and climbed onto winner 170503, my final LM 170/5, and waited for departure for the short leap to University.

Over the footbridge and down to the other platform, watching a pair of 323s make its lovely noise (but not as good as the motor noise on a 365!) in departing towards Lichfield, before winner 170633 rolled in, joining up with my good friend Techni back to New Street. The plan was formed for a fast walk over to Moor Street, picking up a daytripper on route, and climbing onto duds 172217 & 172213 to take us to Solihull, to await the return of the blue 68. In rolled dud 68009 with 82309 bringing up the rear (I think I only need one more Chiltern DVT), at least it gives me a chance to clear Titan for 10 miles with the run to Moor Street.

Back to New Street as I had news that my last 221 was due to work an Euston service, so a gentle walk (no need to run), sadly my lunch trip to Boots got put on hold (no queue when we went in, but after picking up a wrap, drink etc the queue had grown), so it was out of the shop and to platform 1, where dud 221118 was waiting with winner 221111 on the back, the plan was for me and Techni to spilt up and he follow me on a 350/1, but I was surprised when he broke his “No Voyager” rule to grab a power socket from one of the many table seats in coach D. 10 or so minutes later we alighted at Birmingham International and with the next Virgin service towards Birmingham being displayed as a “Super Voyager” and with the LM service looking like a quite cosy 350/2, we decided to grab a coffee from the WH Smiths.

Well the ticket barrier decided to eat Techni’s Daytripper, causing a delay, and after a coffee break at WH Smiths, we went back through, which is when the barriers must have corrupted my ticket as afterwards it gave out code 09 errors, and to the sunshine, the next VT service was down as another 221, so it was onto dud 350373 to New Street, before a swift return to International on dud 390125, for a 15 minute break before winner 390008 rolled in to take us back to New Street. I had news that another required 390 was on the Preston bound service behind 008, due out in 25 minutes time, which gave us time for a gentle walk to the new Grand Central New Street tram stop, to watch as winner tram 33 made its way down the hill, emptying out before carrying on to reverse in a siding before coming back to the Wolverhampton bound platform. It was a nano leap on this tram to the other new stop on the Midland Metro, to Corporation Street with a gentle walk back down the hill via Boots (for I was still hungry), and down to the platform to await the arrival of winner 390151.

It was a well loaded unit, although the seat reservation screens were being useless as ever “Reserved from London Euston” for a pair of seats opposite an overloaded luggage rack for the run to Sandwell & Dudley, for a short break, before fresh dud 350249 arrived to take us back to New Street. A good 10 minute wait for a tram at Grand Central, so we decided to walk up the hill, and leap onto winner 29 heading down the hill, crossing over to the other platform for the run to Bull Street. A well loaded tram with shoppers heading home I suspect. Winning tram 31 was next to take us back to New Street, mostly completing the track. Time for some starship action now (as I had previously spotted a required 170 heading to Cardiff), with dud 323221 for the run down to University, although we could have risked the +2 between XC services as the Nottingham bound service was running slightly late. The Cardiff bound service was a well loaded 2-car unit, so a good thing we didn’t aim for it.

Winner (and final 3-car XC 170) 170102 back to New Street, for a gentle walk over to Moor Street, where I made a mistake in my memory, it wasn’t the 17:10 I was aiming for but instead it was meant to have been the 16:55 which connects with a Bournemouth bound XC service rather than a Reading bound service (giving a near 30 minute fester at Reading for the next GWR service arriving around 5 minutes before the next Bournemouth XC), so after saying farewell to Techni as I boarded 168215, checking the connections at Banbury where I noticed my mistake, quickly bailing at Solihull with 168217 back to Moor Street. My original plan was to get a pair of 168/3s required for renumbering, but I noticed the next LM service was bound for Leamington Spa, one of the few LMs to Leamington, so I decided to make a change, boarded 172344 for the Leamington Spa bound stopper which calls at pretty much every station from Moor Street to Leamington, but it made a change (and covers a tiny bit more LM route coverage).

Once at Leamington, 68009 roared away before required for renumbering 168325 & 168324 rolled in, the former 170305 I only ever had on a Stockport leap from Piccadilly, but the former 170304 was a super-dud with a good 50 miles under its wheels, so taking a seat on 325 for the near 20 mile run down to Banbury, with a short wait before 221139 rolled in to take me to Basingstoke. A 220 heading towards Manchester looked quite well loaded, but thankfully I grabbed a table seat in coach B of the 221, with an early arrival into Reading via the viaduct dive-under chord (from the relief lines). In theory I could had a quick bail and run to catch the GWR service, but decided against it, and remained on board to Basingstoke. A quick pizza grab from the Pizza takeaway outside the station (for Basingstoke lacks anything else around the station area), and back onto the platform watching a well loaded 444 from Weymouth arrive, and 66744 “Crossrail” having a driver-change at Basingstoke before heading towards Hook direction. Sub thousand mile 159018 was on my train back to Grateley, so another near 25 miles takes it up to ~ 870 miles, and giving me a chance to reflect on the day.

New route coverage, and two new shacks (leaving the new Snow Hill platforms to get another day, 3 more trams (10 left including tram 17), 8 new outright winners plus 2 for renumbering, so I beat my target of 10 units, plus had a very good day with my mate Techni :)

Anyhow a couple random pictures:
Tram 33 at New Street:


172344 at Leamington:
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,842
Location
Nowhere Heath
Glad you enjoyed the day, I did too :) And another excellent read there, you're almost on the same needs in the Midlands as me now! Had a quick flick through my notes after work, last time I had 390008 I had it from New Street to International :lol: Oh, and it wasn't my lowest mileage 390, that's 104 on a 1m19c leap!
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Some exciting trips there.

Is there much left that you require in the former Network SouthEast area, and south of the mighty Thames overall?

For information, the only class I've cleared south of the Thames is the famous Class 442s. My requirements are quite big, but I hope to peel off some 465s, 466s, 376s,377s, and anything else on Southeastern Railway metals at the beginning of July.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
The day sounds as good as Tech's trip report says! Shame I couldn't join you...

Congrats on the LM 170/5s and XC 3 coach 170s! Shame on you for the 220 ;). And the 221s ;). And the 221 ;).
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
Some exciting trips there.

Is there much left that you require in the former Network SouthEast area, and south of the mighty Thames overall?

For information, the only class I've cleared south of the Thames is the famous Class 442s. My requirements are quite big, but I hope to peel off some 465s, 466s, 376s,377s, and anything else on Southeastern Railway metals at the beginning of July.

I'm slowly getting there in the former NSE area, both shacks and units.

------

I'm guessing 390104 was caught on a Haymarket - Edinburgh leap ;)

----

Thanks Quinn, sadly avoiding XC to get towards Birmingham via London costs a bit more than £23.05 and probably takes quite a bit longer ;)
 
Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Nice to hear you bashed something other than a dulsvill 170 on that move tech. Good day in the midlands Kite.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
Well at Romsey when waiting for a service towards Southampton Central I turned down 158960 on grounds that it looked kinda busy and on grounds that the following service terminated at Southampton and is normally a 150 and was 5 or so minutes behind.

And a good call as that 150 was required 150232 :)

Although sadly no 150 thrash as it was on time and there is a bit of timetable padding awaiting clearance to platform 2B East

--------------

Anyhow I threw together a completely random "idea" last night on how to do the shacks on the Conwy Valley Line, it's a long day but my loose plan was (sorry for station codes):
Llandudno Junction 05:30 to Betws-y-Coed
06:50 to Gcw (or start the day here)
07:29 to rmb
08:45 to TLC
10:36 to DWD
11:49 to DLG
13:44 to PYP
15:14 to NLR
Walk to LWR (1/2 mile supply raid in shops)
16:53 to BYC
18:01 to DGY
19'08 to LLJ

I say it "was" because there appears to be nothing in the way of hotels or guest houses around the Llandudno Junction area, and where a service from Holyhead connects with that first train it runs fast from Bangor! Although looking at Google Maps, there appears to be a Premier Inn located around 1.2 miles away, which gives options. However it won't come out to play until summer time next year, probably using a North Wales Rover (which appears to have no time restriction). Involves a lot of festering but only one short walk, which goes pass a Co-Op useful for a supply raid.

I suspect the idea will be revised to start the day in Llandudno itself, maybe even breaking out the big bike as it looks like the A470 follows the railway line so by using the main bike to get between stations would probably knock of some of the long festers, and probably be useful on the North Welsh coast for some of those 2 hourly served shacks.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
3rd June – A trip to the Highlands, day 1

Making use of the £1 special tickets from the Borders Line towards the Far North line, and with a forum trip arranged to have a long weekend in Inverness, I signed up for post exam relief (as for the exam, hopefully I have done enough to pass, but I did score 150232 working from Romsey towards Southampton on the day).

It was to the 08:59 service from Grateley, also known as the first off-peak train of the day from this part of the network, and 2nd service from Exeter so as usual it was busy as 159014 & 159008 rolled in, the original plan was to carry on until Waterloo, cross over the bridge to Waterloo East and see if I could score any South Eastern units for the bus stop leap across the river to Charing Cross. However I got news that my final 458 was back in service so foolishly bailed at Clapham Junction for 30 minutes of no luck. 458511 & 458520 did the honours to taking me to Vauxhall, where going via Sainsburys for a meal deal & snacks for the trip to Edinburgh.

Required 11025/11026 was rolling in on the Victoria line platform just as I reached the platform, so happy days as I jumped on board, alighting at Warren Street to make my way towards the rear of the next set for a quicker getaway at Kings Cross. 11011/11012 took me forward to Kings Cross St Pancras a minute or so later, I went up to Kings Cross itself and surprisingly the barriers were in operation this morning, on both the mainline entrance and exit, and my ticket didn’t decide to want to work the barriers as I arrived just as the 11:30 semi-fast to Edinburgh had been announced as available to board.

Walking up the platform to grab the ID of the 91, and it was winner 91126, with ‘dud’ DVT 82204 at the rear of the refurbished set (very red inside), my table was in coach C and nobody came to join me until Peterborough when a couple posh sounding ladies boarded, who both alighted at Durham. A good run up the East Coast; making use of the free Wi-Fi code sent to me by VTEC to have a little catching up session with various internet sites, before changing sides at Newcastle to the right hand side for the best part of the ECML when it runs alongside the actual east coast. Arrival into Edinburgh was pretty much on time, but rolling into platform 19 which meant I had a long walk back towards the main concourse area, to meet up with others heading up towards Inverness this afternoon.

Dud 43311 rolled in with 43316 on the rear, although both low mileage machines, and another refurbished set, finding the tables in coach D for the nice spin via Falkirk, Stiring, Perth before the Highland Main Line, which is a wonderful line in terms of remote wilderness, a semi-fast service which doesn’t call at some of the stations heading north towards the capital of the Highlands of Inverness, arriving pretty much on time. I jumped into a shared taxi to reach the hotel to save a long walk, checked in before grabbing some dinner from the nearby pub, to have a relaxing evening, ready for a relaxing day (compared to my usual Saturdays) tomorrow.

4th June – A trip to the Highlands, Day 2

The day started with another shared taxi (not like I’m complaining on missing out on a 40 minute walk), meeting up with the some of the others in the Wetherspoons (as a couple had departed on the early morning Wick train). A nice Scottish breakfast had and a slow walk to the station to board a quite busy dud 158720 on the first Kyle of Lochalsh service, dud from a Haymarket leap so the run towards Kyle cleared the unit for 10 miles.

I had forgotten how beautiful the run towards Kyle of Lochalsh is, through the remote mountains, running alongside bodies of water, with a number of tiny request stops, no dashing around for me today as we rolled into Kyle, with around 40 minutes before it would depart back towards Inverness, enough time for a couple photos and a supply raid at the nearby Co-Op, the others were going to alight at Plockton to walk to the pub, but I decided to remain on board fresh super-dud 158720 to get Attadale into the book, semi-famous for appearing in Paul Merton’s show.

Attadale is a tiny platform, seemingly in the middle of nowhere overlooking Loch Carron, the peace ruined by a busy road behind the station, but what an amazing view of the Loch, if it wasn’t for that road it is somewhere I could easily spend an hour sitting on a proper bench, relaxing. Anyhow I didn’t have an hour to wait, a mere 10 minutes before dud 158725 rolled in, already a high mileage unit (Stirling to Alloa and then back to Queen Street), I decided to request for the train to call at the last station Duirinish, which if you do on the first service you could probably walk back the ~2 miles to Plockton, but due to this service not having as long of a turnaround at Kyle I didn’t want to risk it. Instead I got chatting with a local who had finished doing a walk along the Loch in the beautiful sunny weather.

158725 returned, and some of the others boarded at Plockton following their visit to the pub, for the run back across the country, the AC wasn’t working so the windows were open allowing the noise of jointed track to come through, for an amazing run back as I alighted at the tiny platform (local door only) at Conon Bridge, a reopened station from a few years ago to serve the small village. 15 minutes later a ‘short’ Far North working arrived, formed of my old friend, 158719 (old friend because I last had this unit on both the Kyle line and the Far North line in May 14), a short run down the line to Beauly another tiny local door only platform station serving a small community.

You wait 2 hours for a train, and 3 come along within 20 minutes, as 10 minutes later dud 158716 rolled in from Wick to take me back to Inverness, but I wasn’t quite finished with the shacks, but decided to have a short break (for a nice ice-cold drink from a nearby Co-Op). Back to Inverness station and we were allowed onto 158725 working the final Kyle service of the day (making use of the toilet as I refuse to pay the 30p charge at Inverness station), to Muir of Ord a crossing point on the mostly single track line where the units go “wrong direction” and pass each other on the right hand side line (rather than the more common left hand side. Anyhow it was a 30 minute fester here at Muir of Ord, enough time to sit down and relax before 158716 arrived to take me to my final shack of the day at Dingwall

Dingwall has a handy pub on the platform for any drinkers, over the footbridge and to the southbound platform for the Elgin bound service, formed of dud (I haven’t had much luck with required Inverness based 158s today) 158721 to take me back down the line, carrying straight on at Rose Street junction to go behind the depot to Welshs Bridge junction, before a reversal into Inverness station for one of the very few services which doesn’t terminate or start from Inverness (a quick check on RTT shows two services on a Sunday which comes from Glasgow which reverses to head to Elgin). Arrival was pretty much on time and we were put out of a side gate before a rather loud crowd were allowed onto the platform for a Glasgow bound service.

The HST from London arrived, and we met up before jumping into a taxi back to the hotel, to meet up in the hotel pub/restaurant for dinner and a chat. Once back into the hotel I went into trip planning mode to plan how to do the rest of my Far North shacks, probably won’t be until this time next year, but I think (with a couple short walks and a bus) I can do it in a week or so (with long festers).

Anyhow some pictures:
Big platform, little train: 158720 at Kyle of Lochalsh:

Little Platform, big train!

Farewell 158720:

The view from the platform:




158725 at Duirinish-ish:

158 clag!


Outside the station:


158725 returns:


Conon Bridge platform:

180 spin:


Muir of Ord (or Moo)



15716 at Dingwall:


5th June – A trip to the Highlands, Day 3

The final day in Inverness, now nice and relaxed, as we met up outside the hotel for a taxi to Wetherspoons for breakfast before heading towards the Kings Cross bound HST, led by dud 43206 (which is now cleared for 1000 miles) and 43314 [which I had back in January via Sunderland] on the stopper towards Stirling, I think the only station we didn’t call at was Dalwinnie. Half of the group went to first class to pay the weekend First fare, but a few of us remained in standard class to enjoy the rolling hills as we said farewell to the highlands.

As I wanted a break in Edinburgh, I booked myself onto the 15:30 departure which gave me around 2 hours to ‘waste’, a potential shack score was highlighted at Gleneagles as a service from Aberdeen was 10 minutes behind, however annoyingly that one didn’t call at Gleneagles, so I alighted from the HST at Dunblane, and 10 minutes later dud 170429 rolled in to take me to Stirling, where it was a fast walk over to platform 8 for dud 158739 working an Edinburgh stopper, which I took to Linlithgow for a tiny wait (as the 158 was 10 minutes late in departing Stirling caused by the late running of the HST) before winner 170471 rolled in with dud 170409 on the rear for the nice run into Haymarket.

Time to fire up RTT to highlight what was heading towards Edinburgh, with the first service being a pair of dud 334s, so over to platform 1 to await a service from the Fife circle, with dud 170470 leading winner 158717 for the 1 mile 19 chain leap to Edinburgh, with a 5 minute connection to a pair of 334s heading out west towards Edinburgh and beyond. Dud 334028 was leading winner 334001 for another short trip through the tunnels to Haymarket, with a short walk over to platform 1, noting down a required 390 rolling towards Edinburgh, as a HST was due. Dud 43257 was leading required power-car 43317 for the short run back to Edinburgh, and a long walk from the back end of platform 19. The next Aberdeen HST was a pair of dud power-cars and with nothing else, I headed over to take a seat on winner 390039 for a 15 minute break before departure back to Haymarket.

With the time now being 3pm, I had 3 options left to get back to Edinburgh Waverley in time to grab something to munch from the nearby Sainsburys, and to get my seat on the 15:30, the first was a pair of 334s from Glasgow, the other two were from the Fife circle. It was a bit of a risk as I stood on the overbridge to see which service would roll in first, and I spotted the 334s, and winner 334012 was leading dud 334013, so happy days (2 left to locate, with a lot more 334 served shacks left). Into Edinburgh Waverley noting that the Intercity 225 set was on platform 19 (what is it with East Coast using this platform, great for first class passengers, rubbish for anybody in coach C) and had a dud 91 on the rear. Time to swing to Sainsburys, grab some late lunch before taking me seat at a handy table, with DVT 82227 at the front and dud 91131 at the rear, once more my table seat was empty on departure however a small kid from the other side moved over to get out of the sun.

A good run via the east coast, being a fast service calling only at Berwick, Newcastle, Darlington & York, no ticket check until after York, where I made use of a Wi-Fi code to catch up (once south of Newcastle where the line goes a tad boring), we stopped just north of Peterborough which I originally put down to catching up with a late running service in front, however after Hitchin when we suddenly came to a stop, the AC & lights went off and the emergency lighting came on. A few minutes later the guard came over the PA to say that the 91 had tripped, and once a Great Northern service had passed on the slows, the driver was going to have a walk to see if he could get the loco restarted. Bang went my highly unlikely 20:15 connection (which would have meant a lift from Andover back to Grateley due to the 2-hourly Sunday service), eventually the lights and AC came back on and the driver walked back to the DVT, and we were pulling away just as a Network Rail Response van arrived on a little van, with someone cutting away at the roadside vegetation to gain access to the access gate. Anyhow no thunderbird to the rescue, no detraining at Stevenage, just an annoying 28 minute delay into Kings Cross, not enough to make a delay repay claim, boo.

To the underground and I fancied some 1973 stock, however it didn’t like me as the first 3 services were dud, so I bailed onto the 3rd which was duds 176/157 for the long walk at Leicester Square (I forgot how long that walk is to the Northern line platforms), and jumped onto the next southbound service which was duds 51711/51551 to Charing Cross. Once up to the main station I highlighted two services which would get me back to Waterloo East to be able to grab dinner from McDonalds in comfortable time for the 21:15 service.

Both were on the same platform, as I walked up noting neither were 465/9s, however the 2nd appeared to be longer, and featured required 466042 at the end, so I climbed on board, duds 465044 & 465040 were on the rear. A slightly delayed departure and a fast walk down the many stairs at Waterloo East, via the chaos of McDonalds before heading up to the 21:15 to Exeter, formed tonight of 159103, 159021 & 158880, which was nice and empty in the leading coach of 021 for the speedy run back towards Grateley, giving me chance to reflect on a nice relaxing weekend in Scotland, a few new shacks into the book, and a small handful of required units (and a loco).

Anyhow only HST call at Dunblane anyone, a bit more classy than the usual 170 ;)
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,842
Location
Nowhere Heath
Another excellent read :)

Shame about the lack of winning Inverness 158s, but good work on some of the remote shacks :) Some stunning pictures too!
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Some of those shacks look just brilliant (for the view. Not the shack). I can't believe you got the 11:30 to Edinburgh instead of the 12:00 throughout though! Absolute madness ;)

Sounds like you had a brilliant time though!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
Some of those shacks look just brilliant (for the view. Not the shack). I can't believe you got the 11:30 to Edinburgh instead of the 12:00 throughout though! Absolute madness ;)

Sounds like you had a brilliant time though!

At time of booking the 11:30 was £25, the 12:00 was £40, so save myself £15 and score a required 91
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,842
Location
Nowhere Heath
There's also the fact that doing the Chieftain all the way through in one go in Standard is an endurance, that short break in Edinburgh will have been more than welcome I suspect!
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
That makes it slightly more worth it. Shame the 11:30 isn't a tram!
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
I enjoyed the last couple of reads, especially your Inverness trip! The Kyle line is one of two lines I need in Scotland (the other being the line from Ayr to Stranraer!) and am hoping to do it in September.

You mention of getting lunch from your Brum trip reminded me that from my point of view when in Birmingham the best place to get lunch is baguette world for future reference. So much choice and very cheap!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
There's also the fact that doing the Chieftain all the way through in one go in Standard is an endurance, that short break in Edinburgh will have been more than welcome I suspect!

It was nice to get a bit of fresh air in the short break in Edinburgh, I was hoping to get something from Boots but they had been raided.


I enjoyed the last couple of reads, especially your Inverness trip! The Kyle line is one of two lines I need in Scotland (the other being the line from Ayr to Stranraer!) and am hoping to do it in September.

You mention of getting lunch from your Brum trip reminded me that from my point of view when in Birmingham the best place to get lunch is baguette world for future reference. So much choice and very cheap!

Maybe one day Techni will show me the location of baguette world ;)
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
A good trip to the Highlands there.

I noticed that you landed 158716, 719, and 721 - these are 3 out of 8 Inverness Depot based 158s that I require. Furthermore, well done on getting 170471, as that alongside 456 are my 2 remaining Scotrail 170s that are required.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Good weekend there

I note we were both at Charing Cross within 45 minutes of eachother, I also fancying some Networker action and lining myself up for High Speed.

What time is that southbound pendo from EDB on Sundays? Most of the VTWC stuff on a Sun is booked 221 so keen to use this one if going that way.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
Good weekend there

I note we were both at Charing Cross within 45 minutes of eachother, I also fancying some Networker action and lining myself up for High Speed.

What time is that southbound pendo from EDB on Sundays? Most of the VTWC stuff on a Sun is booked 221 so keen to use this one if going that way.

14:52ish I believe :)
 

palmersears

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2011
Messages
1,487
Yet more excellent reading, Kite :)

Some of those views are utterly stunning. Really does reignite my desire to go and live up there in the years to come.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,842
Location
Nowhere Heath
Maybe one day Techni will show me the location of baguette world ;)

If I'm honest, I always forget it's an option! :oops: Very easy to find once you know it, same for FQ's favourite Meal Deal. Come out of the main entrance, follow the tram line around the corner towards Corporation Street. When next to the HSBC go up the ramp (as if you were going into the shopping centre) and it's on the left just past McDonalds
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
I think of all the Far North shacks, Forsinard will be the hardest to get.

Well in terms that it's the passing point, so it will either be a +1 or a ~ 3-hour fester.

The others are doable with reasonable pluses (or quite long festers), I'm thinking of using a guest house around Dingwall area to see if it cuts down the cost of accommodation (plus gives a little bit extra time in bed)

I reckon I could do my remaining shacks north of Inverness, plus towards Aberdeen & south towards Aviemore in 6 days, including one Saturday (with a rather early start towards Aberdeen!). Currently typing up my rough plan made when in Inverness into Excel to save for next year. Anybody want to join me on a trip to the Far Far North? Only involves a couple walks (Dunrobin Castle to Golspie, plus the tiny distance between Invershin & Culrain). Probably looking around early June (for the summer timetable)
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,842
Location
Nowhere Heath
I'm very interested in seeing your plan, and I am also interested in flying up for that trip.

3 hour fester at Forsinard could be...fun!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
Right, here is my 'rough' plan to conquer the Far North, provisionally penciled in for June next year (or after the timetable change in May)

Day 1 (penciled in for a Wednesday after arriving into Inverness (or Dingwall) on the Tuesday:
Code:
Dingwall	07:40	Brora	09:29	 (07:02 from Inverness)
Brora	        10:02	Culrain	10:48	
Invershin	12:11	Kildonan	13:25	(Walk)
Kildonan	14:07	Lairg	15:12	
Lairg	        15:45	Helmsdale	16:36	
Helmsdale	17:44	Inverness	20:10	
Inverness	21:06	Fearn	22:10	(Dinner in Inverness)
Fearn	        22:27	Dingwall	22:58

Day 2 (Thursday):
Code:
Dingwall	07:40	Dunrobin Castle	09:21
Golspie	10:12	Rogart	10:22 (Walk the 1.9 miles)
Rogart	12:35	Forsinard	13:46
Forsinard	13:47	Culrain	15:22 (In the likely event of connection being missed, plan B is a 7.5 mile 'leisurely' walk to Kinbrace)
Culrain	15:34	Kinbrace	16:59
Kinbrace	17:21	Ardgay	18:52
Ardgay	19:28	Dingwall	20:24

Day 3 (Friday)
Code:
Dingwall	07:40	Georgemas Junction	11:14	
Georgemas Junction	11:40	Thurso	12:00	Bus 82
Thurso	13:06	Altnabreac	13:35	
Altnabreac	13:55	Scotscalder	14:04	
Scotscalder	16:51	Tain	19:08	
Tain	19:46	Inverness	20:57

(I know, that fester at Scotscalder!)

Day 4 (Saturday):
Code:
Inverness	04:53	Keith	05:54	
Keith	06:55	Insch	07:29	
Insch	07:55	Huntly	08:12	
Huntly	08:39	Dyce	09:21	
Dyce	10:07	Inverurie	10:21	
Inverurie	10:34	Inverness	12:22	
Inverness	13:35	Dingwall	14:08	
Dingwall	14:10	Conon Bridge	14:15	(If required)
Conon Bridge	14:31	Alness	14:49	
Alness	15:36	Invergordon	15:41	
Invergordon	16:06	Inverness	17:01

A Highland Rover would probably be the best ticket, with jumping on the Chiefian the following morning (or flying back to the South). Although I might do a week long Spirit of Scotland rover to grab some shacks towards Aberdeen from Dundee, before heading up towards Inverness on the Tuesday night. Again completely rough plans which could change if the timetable changes massively :)
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,842
Location
Nowhere Heath
Some long festers there, Scotscalder will require either excellent company or a rather good book! Those of us who partake would probably get some bottles in mind!

I've only skimmed through some of it when it comes to the times, but 0453 out of Inverness is just maddeningly early! Keith I am planning to visit at the same time as doing the Keith and Dufftown Railway personally.

An interesting plan, one which would no doubt see me fly up to Inverness, then get the Stagecoach bus to Nairn station then train into Inverness. If I can do it I plan to join you on this adventure, obviously I'd be happy to split hotel costs half and half. A Highland Rover is definitely the most sensible ticket to get for such a trip!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
I'd say that's a pretty solid sounding plan there. Given the fact that Forsinard is a level crossing shack, the connection isn't going to work out.

Agreed there, that would be extremely lucky if that connection can be made.

------------------

I'm pencilling in roughly 23rd May to 28th May, £25 a night at The Waverley Guest House in Inverness, which appears to be pretty much outside the main station, and frankly I think that is a bargain for city centre Inverness. Free cancellation just in case the summer timetable next year is introduced later than expected.

I will probably make a whole week of it and use a Spirit of Scotland pass and spend the first couple days doing shacks towards Aberdeen from Dundee, plus some other shacks around that area which are outside the Central Scotland Rover area [i.e. Ladybank towards Aberdeen, Gleneagles towards Inverness, that one between Perth & Dundee]
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top