• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
A couple of good moves there, nice to see a bit of 68 action, even if it's only watching (and listening) to them at work.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,841
Location
West of Andover
4th March – A local train for local people...

Also known as “another day on the Great Northern”, with the shacks towards Peterborough cleared last week, it was time to shift my attention to those 6 shacks between Letchworth & Cambridge which I have never stopped at (and have only flown passed them on route to Kings Lynn back in the summer of 14) (Letchworth was done as a filler move in between Hull Train diversions).

A book in my bag, and my iPod charged up with some random music, I had a nice drive to Andover to link up with the 14:38, formed this afternoon of 158890 leading 159020 & 159002, which does mean 159020 has now joined the 1000 mile club as member 19, nice enough trip although as always a 5 minute fester outside Waterloo waiting for the platform to become available. Making use of the peak-time subway I headed to the Bakerloo platforms, where due to time limitations I couldn’t do any linear bashing (only 26 or so minutes to reach Kings Cross), so it was a case of jumping on whatever rolled in first.

Required 1972 stock sets 3531 & 3238 tipped up, for the mile and 37 chains to Oxford Circus, where I had a couple minutes wait before required 11041/042 rolled in to get introduced to the yellow highlighter with the mile and a half to Kings Cross St Pancras, where it was a quick walk over to the suburban platforms at Kings Cross, as the 16:17 to Royston (Vasey) runs fast to Stevenage, there would be no chance of a linear hop to Finsbury Park, the unit in charge of this nice fast run is 317340 (although cleared for 10 miles last month with a nice run to Knebworth), taking a seat in the motor coach for the nice run up the east coast (felt strange flying through Finsbury Park on a 317), pausing briefly at Stevenage before taking the flyover to my first shack of the evening with Baldock, some RPIs joined at Letchworth with another at the platform at Baldock, probably to catch any ticketless passengers jumping off the service.

A few minutes later the delayed Cambridge fast service flew through, before 365515 rolled in on the next Cambridge stopper (as it would all be single units this evening due to short platforms) joining the 10 mile club on a hop to Royston. Slight double back with 317337 to Ashwell & Morden got that station cleared (and 317337 pushed over that magic 10 miles figure and becoming my latest super-dud). It was a brief wait at a very quiet station before 317339 rolled in to take me to Meldreth with the first of my 30 minute festers.

For future reference, there be a curry takeaway based outside Meldreth station, and it smelt nice, as I took a chance to reflect on a busy week at work before unexpected winner 365540 rolled in to take me the 1 mile 72 chains to Shepreth, a level crossing shack in the middle of nowhere. Normally hourly served but increased to half hourly during the peaks, so evening peak is probably the best time to try and get them into the book. 35 minutes later, my 2nd required unit of the evening rolled in, blimey as I only needed 5 GN units at the start of the evening, and it was 321402 for the tiny bus stop leap (1 mile 10 chains) to Foxton. Foxton was another level crossing shack on a busy road, and not a lot else, other than another 25 minute fester for the return of 365540 to take me back to Stevenage.

I was in a happy mood, all 6 shacks cleared along that line, plus 2 new units, with the potential of a 91, as there are 4 southbound VTECs inside 30 minutes at Stevenage so a good chance to get another 91 into the book. It was a long 15 minutes before the first rolled in, new DVT 82204 was leading required 91130 at the rear on a service from York, so I jumped on board (looked like someone was meant to get off at Stevenage as I walked through to find an empty seat they were hitting the door open button after the doors were closed and locked). It was the usual run down the ECML to Kings Cross arriving pretty much on time, giving me pretty much an hour to get over to Waterloo for the 21:20 (which is a lot better than last week when I only had 20 minutes).

To the Victoria line platform and an unknown set was in the platform as I jumped on without checking the set numbers, duds 11069/70, so I bailed at Euston and waited. Lady luck wasn’t on my side tonight as the next 5 services weren’t required, so I decided to cut my losses and jumped on 11013/14 for the run to Oxford Circus, where lady luck was with me as the first southbound service was formed of required 3262 and 3533, so it was a hop down to Charing Cross as the following service was only a minute behind, and had required 3242 on the front and dud 3557 on the rear. So it was to Waterloo, and once up in the concourse I fired up RTT to highlight any potential hops to Clapham Junction, a couple dud 458/5s on the Windsor line side, my eyes turned to a trio of 450s on a Basingstoke stopper, which had 450076 leading required 450092 and 450001 on the rear, so taking a seat in 092 (only 2 of the DC Desiros left to track down) for the short run to Clapham Junction where I alighted and awaited the 21:20 to roll in.

159103 rolled in with 158881 on the rear, so happy days with another sub 1000 mile 159, as I took a seat on the memory foam seats for the nice run back to Andover, the end of a nice little evening, some more of the Great Northern empire cleared, leaving just the shacks north of Cambridge (bar Ely) to get into the book, a job for another evening peak where it’s half hourly rather than hourly.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,841
Location
West of Andover
5th March – A trip on the Merseyrail Electrics

The plan today was to avoid the idiotic kids trespassing onto the line to get back their ball, avoid the idiotic kids cycling around on platforms without a care in the world, and avoid the blatant fare dodgers (sorry if a bit negative at the start, but yes the stations might be staffed but when the member of staff is in a cosy ticket office at the bottom of stairs away from the island platform, it might as well be unstaffed). Anyhow the plan today was to clear up my remaining Merseyrail stations (everything between Sandhills & Southport), plus a couple other odds and sods around the Cheshire area. Unusually I was booked onto the 09:07 departure from Euston which meant a 06:37 start from Andover so it was a nice early morning drive, finding my usual parking spot and walking the final short distance to the station.

The 06:37 was formed of 9 coaches, and was diverted via Staines, formed of 159008, 159004 & 159108, where I found a nice seat in the rear unit (one of these days I will get the position correct to grab all the unit numbers when they roll into Andover), for the speedy run to Basingstoke & Woking before turning left after Byfleet and passing the likes of Chertsey & Staines, going slowly due to speed restrictions for 23 metre stock (I think 444s suffer the same issue), before accelerating into Clapham for a 5 minute “arrived early” break and finally into Waterloo. To the Northern line where I decided to do a spot of linear bashing to pass the time, and up first was required 51541 & 51540 for the tiny distance to Charing Cross, followed by 3 dud sets and just as I was about to give up, I finally got another pair of required 95 stocks in the shape of 51585 & 51584 to take me to Euston.

Swinging via Sainsburys to pick up some food for breakfast and WH Smiths for a newspaper, I made my way down to one of the higher numbered platforms, 90048 (or was it 90049) had worked one of the sleepers and was on other platform, with required 390125 sat on platform 14, a late set swap had meant the reservation details hadn’t downloaded, but I was on a table seat in coach E, and seat 62 will be going into my book as a decent table seat (against the window so had elbow room). An on-time run and a couple hours after setting off I alighted at my first new shack of the day of Runcorn (overhearing the train manager asking the platform staff “are we early?” ), all the Virgin west coast managed shacks now complete (although like with GWR not cleared outright as I need the ones in Wales). It was a nice 20 minute wait here at Runcorn (which seemed a nice enough station which was lacking bins), as I was waiting for a “London Midland Desiro” Birmingham service [as per the PIS], and in rolled dud 350129 (although only previous had this 350 on a bus stop leap from Birmingham International to Hampton-in-Arden last August so the extra miles were good).

We soon rejoined the WCML proper, speeding through Acton Bridge to arrive at my 2nd new shack of the day at Hartford. A 10 minute fester here, before busy & delayed winner 350259 rolled in to take me to South Parkway, I was toying with the idea of staying on to the end of the journey at Lime Street for a quick hop around the Wirral to Liverpool Central, but decided to bail early and catch a Southport service at South Parkway. My first Merseyrail unit of the year rolled in, and it was dud (for bus stop miles) 508137 to take me around the former Cheshire lines into the tunnels and out the other side to Bank Hall. Easy enough to make the connection here for dud 507013 back to Sandhills for no reason other than to grab an extra 53 chains!

The next Southport serviced rolled in, and it was another dud, this time 507033 to take me to another island platform at Seaforth & Litherland and a nice connection for another southbound service, this time dud 508111 to Bootle Oriel Road, a quick platform change and it was onto 507025 to Waterloo. Waterloo is a passing point and sadly we were running a couple minutes late so the next southbound service had already departed, which gave me (a planned) 15 minute fester, enough time to walk to the street noticing a card shop to pick up a greeting card (to save a job on the Sunday), and lunch from the “M to Go” shop (it was either that or a Subway). Back to the island platform at Waterloo to await the next Hunts Cross working, and in rolled winner 508131 to take me to the other Bootle station at Bootle New Strand. I noticed the former Bootle branch line towards Aintree was clearly out of use as it was rusty as anything with branches thrown across it (which seems a tad strange as they line would be ideal for “horseracing” specials when there is racing at the racecourse, such as the Grand National).

Anyhow, I drift as I headed under the subway and to the northbound platform as 507013 returned from earlier to take me to Hall Road before 508137 made its 2nd entry into my book for the day back to Blundellsands & Crosby. 507012 rolled in next for the near 10 mile run north to Hillside with another fast platform swap to grab 507005 working south to Ainsdale. 508111 had returned to take me to the last intermediate station at Birkdale which gave me a nice plus 10, time to relax until some prat decided to start smoking (seriously, if you’re going to break the law by smoking on the platform, either do it in the open air rather than under a canopy, or by standing just outside the fence), where I watched some kids kick a football onto the tracks, where one decided to be idiotic and jump down to grab it! (completely ignoring the existence of the live 3rd rail) and once back ran away (all the time the person in the ticket office didn’t bat an eyelid). Anyhow 507012 had returned to take me back to Hightown which had a tight +2 for a northbound service which was an unknown unit, and another dud (not really having the best of luck today) in the shape of 508136 to take me north for the last time to Freshfield, where another tight connection was made with 508111 to my final Merseyrail shack at Formby.

All stations within the Merseytravel PTE area cleared, I allowed myself a smile and a cookie from my emergency cookie supply, I worked out I had seen all but one of the units on Southport duties today, and the last unit should be behind, and in rolled winner 508140 to take me to Sandhills, where I had a couple options as I was running a tad early (as I had planned not to have been able to make the connection at Hightown), and the next southbound working was required 508114 on the non-stop run to Liverpool Central (as platform 1 at Moorfields was closed, northbound services are calling but not southbound services). A quick walk to the Wirral line saw me land required 508134 for the tiny leap to James Street, and I crossed over to the other platform (although if that had been dud, I would have returned to see what had rolled in from Kirkby).

I arrived at the same time as 507011 for a linear hop to Moorfields, followed by another required unit (5 in a row!) 508141 for another tiny leap to Lime Street (low level). A fast walk up to the high level platforms, and the next service towards Scarborough would be the next service to South Parkway, and was formed of required 185112, so it was to South Parkway (with a full ticket check taking place, probably to pick up anybody travelling on a Northern only advance ticket), where I decided to check RTT to see what the connection was like at Acton Bridge, only to find the inbound working to be 30 minutes late! A quick think and I decided to change plans as dud 150116 came in with DDA-refreshed 156482 behind, to take me to my final shack along the Liverpool-Manchester via Warrington line at Widnes.

Would I make it 8 winners in a row? Nope, as super dud 156423 rolled in to take me back to South Parkway, where I had a couple ideas to link up with the next London Midland service which called at the Bridge of Acton, mainly involving the pair of 158s following the 156, but that plan went out of the window as dud 156441 rolled in with required 142011 behind, and I wasn’t about to turn down a required 142 for an unknown pair of 158s! I probably should have bailed at Hunts Cross and got a Merseyrail unit back to South Parkway, but instead stayed on to Hough Green, where it had started to rain, as I crossed over to the other platform to wait as dud 156488 rolled in. It was back to South Parkway as the rain had turned into a full blown hail storm, as I crossed over to Platform 1 (does anything use P3 or P4 other than the South Parkway – Preston 319?) as winner 350244 rolled in to take me back towards Crewe as I alighted at Acton Bridge.

I must admit I was surprised when I was checking RTT, as that delayed 350 ran all the way to South Parkway (where it was capped) with another 350 following a couple minutes afterwards, I would have put 10p on that 350 being capped at Crewe. Anyhow, Acton Bridge, has 3 platforms, a couple little shelters, an out of order Permit to Travel machine and nothing else, certainly putting it alongside some of the stations on the Bletchley – Bedford line for being basic. I had to hope the inbound working would be on time (when I checked earlier at Runcorn it was on time), and I spotted the lights and in rolled dud 350129 to take me back to South Parkway. I probably should have stayed on all the way to the end to have some Wirral line bashing; instead I had a couple duds (pair of delayed 158s, the return of 156482 + 150116, and a dud 185. In the end I jumped onto dud 350253 to head back to Lime Street, where it was pretty much game over, no potential leaps to Edge Hill, so via Smiths (as Boots was closed) to grab a quick wrap and head over to platform 7 to await the arrival of the 390 from Euston (which doesn’t have that long of a turnaround) and in rolled dud 390006 (although at least this time I will be in standard class as the previous couple times in having this 390 I sat in First Class). This time in seat C9 (another decent table seat), nobody sat opposite me in the dreadful C3, not as busy as I had predicted (with West Ham playing away at Everton), a few drunken ‘jolly’ ladies on board and some BTP.

A nice enough run, although due to the 2-track working of the southern end of the WCML on Saturday nights, meant we soon caught up with a semi-fast 350, so it was a bit of a crawl at times (although it was in the timetable to crawl, so no time lost with a right time arrival into Euston). To the northern line platforms, where up first was required 51636 & 51635 which I decided to take all the way to Waterloo, and grab some food from McDonalds (as I was a bit hungry). Technically speaking my advance ticket had put me onto the 23:05 service which connected with an additional Salisbury service at Basingstoke, however I noticed there was a direct Salisbury service departing at 22:50, and it was formed of 159005, which soon turned into a bit of a farce as we pulled into Clapham Junction, the guard announced that we would be held here to “await a member of train crew” (I’m guessing that they needed a guard which signed the diversion route via Staines).

20 minutes later we got going, however that delay meant we had missed our path on the mostly double track line, and got caught behind a Reading stopper, so it was a crawl, eventually reaching Woking a good 30 minutes late, cut down with a fast run and shorten dwell times but still meant I arrived back at Andover 25 minutes down. Walking back to the car reminded me why I don’t like using my car for late nights during this time of year as it was all iced over, anyhow car deiced and a nice drive home, as I reflected on a productive day.

12 new units, 17 new shacks with another 2 TOCs cleared, only Winsford left to get to clear the London Midland empire, which looking at the times is probably easier to grab on a Sunday (hourly service for most of the day on Saturdays, with a +1 between trains, and according to Techni, it’s not the easiest to get from platform to platform in a hurry, so the +20 (or so) on a Sunday will be good enough for me. All for my remaining Merseyrail units (12 x 507s, 3x508s) I’m thinking probably a long weekend (head up to Liverpool on a Thursday night, spend Friday hunting units (and getting Neston into my book) before doing a Lancashire Rover on the Saturday) *ponders*

(Are Saveaways valid in the evening peak and any suggestions for hotels within the Liverpool area [unless I do that Wigan Premier Inn and pay for a day return from Wigan to Garswood/St Helens]
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Kite

Another couple of fabulous days out with plenty of new rides and shacks. I see that you made friends with my last 91 (130). One day I will bag it! Thanks for the heads up regarding frequencies on the Cambridge village stoppers - that might be something for me to look at one summer evening after work when I run out of stuff to do on the old Travelcard.

You were chancing your arm on Saturday with West Ham playing at Everton - like you, I would have expected the return working at the very least to be rammed with footy fans. The Saveaway is valid in the evening peak so it seems that your sketched out trip is starting to grow legs ... If you are around on a weekday, remember that there are some peak hour extras and pairs but it's almost impossible to cover every peak hour working on both the "Northern" lines and the couple on the Wirral. There's more on the Northern lines so you could do worse than camp out at Sandhills or Liverpool Central. And some of the pairs on the Southport line start quite early.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,841
Location
West of Andover
To be honest when I booked up the trip I didn't know Everton were at home, although I didn't run into any issues regarding overcrowding other than the London Midland services.

That Friday (which probably won't be until September time) will involve a general unit hunt, on all three lines (Wirral, Northern and "City") just to get the numbers down :)
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Both your 390 up and your 390 back were ones out of my last 5! Not jealous...

It sounds like you had a great day up in the Merseyrail area and well done on clearing VT and Merseyrail for shacks!
 

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
Another few good reads there kite, your certainly doing some bulldozing of shacks, units and TOC's, certainly congratulations are in order, on clearing ALL the shacks on the Mersey Rail, I doff my cap young sir.

I know it's a bit further out but for September, I'd certainly reccomend the Ashddown Hotel in Preston, was very good, 5minute walk away from the Station too.
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,841
Location
West of Andover
I'm randomly looking up ideas for future trips, and couldn't help noticing that on a regular Sunday there is three services from Ely towards Cambridge...

All 3 depart within 12 minutes of each other!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
11th March – A trip on the West Anglian Main Line

Using my final day of annual leave until the end of March, I decided to make a start in my target of clearing the Greater Anglian empire by the end of the year, and with the West Anglia main line in my sight to clear the shacks (of which some I have never called at only ever using the line twice before, so it was a nice return to the slightly slower route to Cambridge).

A short walk to the station, where I was thankful I picked up my tickets before hand due to the usual queue at the TVM for the first off-peak train towards London, formed this morning of 159019 & 159022, and as usual it was quite busy, but I managed to get a seat (after asking a middle-aged [at a guess] lady to remove her handbag from the seat by the side of her [I can’t really help agreeing with Requeststop who noted in his travels that females are in general worst for blocking seats with bags and feet]). We were held up outside Woking for a couple minutes for a late running train from the outer suburban line to cross, which meant a 5 minute delay into Waterloo.

To the Waterloo & City line, with duds 65501/65502 rolled in for the near mile and a half trip to Bank, and up and over to the Central line platform where I jumped on the first service heading east, sadly it was duds 91129/92192/91311/91039, doubling the distance for those 4 units to Liverpool Street, my first port of call was via Tesco to grab some supplies for later (saves searching for food later on), before heading to the lower end platforms for the next Cambridge semi-fast, formed of 379008 & 379009 which I took to Broxbourne with a nice fast run from Tottenham Hale towards Cheshunt. A brief wait at Fort Brox before 317513 rolled in from Stratford on a Bishop’s Stortford stopper, after waiting for a Stansted Express to go flying pass we were on our way to my first new shack of the day at Roydon.

A new platform had been built for the up side of the station, with a level crossing between the platforms, and a short wait before the next Cambridge stopper, formed of super dud 379003 (one of my more highest distance 379s) and 379010 to Harlow Town, and like before at Broxbourne a Bishop’s Stortford stopper rolled into the loop, this time 317668 to take me to Sawbridgeworth. Over the footbridge and to the other platform to jump back onto 317513 down the line to Harlow Mill, which is a strange station, platforms are split over a bridge and it took me a couple minutes to work out that to access the other platform (which lacked seating) I needed to use the footbridge hidden at the northern end of the southbound platform.

One thing I noticed when waiting for the next Bishop’s Stortford service is there must be a temporary speed restriction in place around the station as everything north was slowing right down before speeding back up again once they had gone pass the road bridge. A brief wait and dud 317667 rolled in with required 317502 on the rear, so taking a seat in 502 for the near 6 mile run north to the end of the service at Bishop’s Stortford rolling into the ‘bay’ platform. Nice enough station is Bishop’s Stortford, good quality seating as I had my lunch to await the next northbound Cambridge stopper, which was formed of dud 317665, which I took to Elsenham.

A nice station with manually operated level crossing gates (the person who operates them must get fit walking backwards and forwards at least 8 times an hour (4 northbound services, 4 southbound services). A new footbridge has been installed which must rank as the world’s highest footbridge (you could probably fit a train in the gap between the top of the wires & the bottom of the footbridge!) and it was a nice enough wait, watching the world go round (and the signaller opening and closing the level crossing when a Cambridge fast was due). 379029 & 379023 were on the next stopping service towards London, which I took back south passing both Stansted junctions to Stansted Mountfitchet, for a short 20 (odd) minute wait before a 317 was spotted, would I get one of my remaining 5 units? Nope, it was dud 317514 to take me to Audley End.

Another short wait before the return of 317665 for the short hop to Newport, with a 40 minute fester for the next northbound service (half hourly during the evening peaks, but I wanted to make use of that service later on), a nice enough station in the countryside, listening to my iPod relaxing checking up stuff on the internet using the free WiFi, before 379008 rolled in to take me north again to Great Chesterford, with a short 30 minute fester (as it’s a crossing point), no WiFi to pass the time (and no mobile data signal or PIS) at this tiny village station, but some good views from the footbridge looking out at the countryside.

379023 & 379029 had returned from Liverpool Street to take me to Shelford, which is a level crossing shack, so it was over the level crossing and onto duds 317660/317662 to my final shack south of Cambridge at Whittlesford Parkway. With time to kill (having somehow messed up my plan putting me 30 minutes ahead of schedule), I jumped onto 317649 back to Shelford hoping for a required unit southbound, but it was the two units I saw earlier working Cambridge – Stansted Airport duties, duds 317655 & 317503 back to Whittlesford Parkway (if only for a miles grab, as the 3 miles & 35 chains pushes those two units closer to that 10 mile mark), and a better chance at getting a decent seat for the next northbound service heading to Ely.

317665 was back for the 3rd time of the day to take me to my first Great Northern shack of the day in the shape of Waterbeach, as it was now 5pm, the train got quite busy at Cambridge (and emptied out quite well at Waterbeach), going pass the sign of the future Cambridge North station (the platform foundations are in place), but it wasn’t long to wait before my first GN service of the evening, which was quite busy dud 365517, the doorways full of bikes, but a good run for the 365 pausing at Ely where it emptied out a little before going onto the Fen line to Littleport. Another manually operated level crossing and what looked to be a barrow crossing to reach the other platform.

The sun had set and it was getting a bit chilly when waiting around at Littleport, waiting for the next Kings Lynn service, which wasn’t a Great Northern service, it was a peak-time Greater Anglia special, formed of 379027 to take me to Downham Market, a level crossing station, with a seemingly disused siding to the west of the station, a pub on the southbound platform and a random cat. It wasn’t long to fester before super dud 365506 rolled in to take me to my last Great Northern station at Watlington.

Watlington was a quite basic station, platforms staggered on each side of a level crossing (although I suspect in years gone pass the original ‘Up’ platform was opposite the down platform, but since rebuilt to be the other side of the level crossing. Nothing much of interest around Watlington and it was a chilly 30 minute fester to wait for 365506 to return from Kings Lynn to take me to Ely. I had previously highlighted potential movements of a semi-fast from Peterborough from Hitchin to Stevenage and then an East Coast service to Kings Cross, but after checking in the TOPs request thread highlighted as dud services, I decided to bail from 365506 at Ely.

A quick visit to Tesco opposite the station for some dinner before returning to the station going via the subway to the island platform to wait for the arrival of a peak-time extra from Kings Cross, which was formed of duds 365507 & 365522, I took a seat in 507 (where I couldn’t help noticing that the post refurbishment units have less bay seats (and more airline seats), and that I was pretty much alone in the front coach of 507 for the non-stop run to Cambridge, where I was joined by another couple passengers for the non-stop run to Kings Cross. Can’t really beat a good fast Cambridge Cruiser service for some 365 motor noise, and with it arriving only a minute (or two) behind 365506 (which is an all-station stopper between Cambridge & Stevenage) I would make up the time by being closer to the Victoria line.

Sadly my luck with required Victoria line stock wasn’t with me, and after 3 duds, I jumped onto 11029/11030 to Oxford Circus, and duds 5242/5557 down on the Bakerloo to Waterloo, where 159101 was waiting in all its new paint-job and memory foam seating to take me back to Grateley, the first time arriving on a train back at Grateley for a good month (split between buses on Saturday nights and driving back from Andover on Fridays).

Not a good day for required units, only 317502 being introduced into my haulage book, but a lot of additional miles for various 379s, all the shacks cleared from Liverpool Street to Kings Lynn, which to my mind was a good day with the Govia Thameslink Railway empire completely cleared for stations (woohoo! :)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
Congratulations on clearing Thameslink and Great Northern, quite a challenge! Same for Merseyrail, which I'm only one station behind on but aim to have that dealt with before the end of the year. Couldn't help noticing all your MerseyRail moves produced duds for me, although that 185 is required.

Some excellent reads as always, the envy factor however is high!
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Congrats on all of the GTR shacks! An excellent accomplishment!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,841
Location
West of Andover
I think the 379s are probably the best post BR EMUs, nice seating, good window alignment, free wifi and plug sockets.

As for best BR era EMU, that goes to the 365s for me, just for the lovely motor noise when they pull away, and nice 2+2 seating

----

Anyhow

12th March – The Tre Pol & Pen railtour

A nice relaxing Saturday for me, with my 2nd railtour of the year, and unusually for an UK Railtour it didn’t involve staying overnight in London as this tour heads west, towards Cornwall where it visits a couple freight only branches. A short walk to the station and I was on 159012 forming the 05:59 towards Basingstoke, where I noted a dud 165/1 working towards Reading on the stopper, deciding to give that one a miss for a chance of a required voyager on the 06:51 towards Manchester.

Sadly it wasn’t one of my last 2, 220s as dud 220010 rolled in (ironically the last time I had this 220 was on another railtour from Reading last year, spooky how things repeat). Once into Reading I exited the station and headed to Sainsburys for a supply raid (mainly food for lunch as it was going to be a tour where we were on the train for most of the day), and breakfast. Food (and drink) sourced, it was back to Reading to sit at platform 7 watching the various HSTs pulling in and departing, before I took a walk to the far end of the platform to watch the tour coming in.

Dud 66109 was leading (had it previously pulling a train out of Liverpool towards Chester last May), and dud 66177 was on the rear (had this one twice already, from Kings Cross to Buxton and around South Yorkshire) so annoyingly no new 66s into my book of haulage this time round. I had a seat in coach J which was right at the front of the train, so it was a fast walk to the coach with bouncy seats, as usual with railtours I had been given an aisle seat, but less about that and on with the tour.

Last pick-up was at Newbury and it was a good non-stop run afterwards going via the Westbury avoider, flying through Taunton and crawling slowly via Exeter, the fog which was around cleared up around the Pewsey area and the sun came out, a good run via the Dawlish coast (how I love this part of track where it hugs the coast) and into Plymouth where we had a 15 minute break for a crew change, so a good time to get some fresh air and to go for a walk around the platform, grabbing a photo as 220027 rolled in from Penzance, heading towards Manchester.

Back onto the train and it was over the Royal Albert Bridge and a nice run towards Lostwithiel where we paused to pick up the token to allow access to the first freight branch of the day, the line towards Fowey, a very picturesque line running alongside the River Fowey, we reached the limit of Network Rail before the entrance to Carne Point China Clay loading area. A brief moment for some pictures (another passenger acted surprised when someone asked them to move so they could take a picture, did they think they could hog the drop-light?).

66177 was now in charge and I was heading backwards, back out to the main-line and back to Plymouth, where a brief stop to pick up a member of crew was delayed as that member of crew was caught on a delayed XC service (seemed the Sheffield area had collapsed under the weight of all those modern trains), we departed 15 minutes late and turned right from the main-line, following the old Southern route towards the former Plymouth Friary station, passing some overgrown bushes and a lot of rubbish (plus a HST being cleaned).

Another reversal and we were heading back, taking the other side of the Laira triangle, passing the depot on the right hand side, and onto the main-line, where a spirited run took us back to Exeter, and onto the Barnstaple line, picking up the token (or whatever it is) from the signal box to put us onto the line towards Meldon Quarry. I’ve done this part towards Okehampton before on a pacer (and a 153 towards Sampford Courtenay last June) and forgot how slow and boring it is. Passing Okehampton station and we were onto new track for me, heading up the hill to the mothballed Meldon Quarry, passing some old rolling stock and the coaches used for the “Polar Express”. Another reversal and it was down the hill to Okehampton where we were booked for a 20 minute break for the water tanks to be refilled.

Nothing much around the station, other than a little table set up selling coffee/tea & some snacks, I picked up a jacket potato and had a walk around before reboarding, we departed around 20 minutes late, losing more time around Crediton and into Exeter around 30 minutes late. Thankfully we were booked a 22 minute pathing stop (to allow a XC towards Birmingham to go in front), so we were only 15 minutes late departing, time which was soon reduced by a speedy run back towards Newbury, arriving into Reading only a couple minutes late. I alighted from the service and headed over to platform 2 (passing a Rugby special HST whose first stop was Newport and looked rather empty).

165119 was the unit to take me back to Basingstoke, so sitting in the former 1st class section, to relax and put on some music. Grabbing a pizza at the Pizza takeaway at Basingstoke (I know, healthy it isn’t, but nothing else open that time of night within a reasonable walking distance), and back to platform 2 to await 159001 to take me back to Grateley, the end of an interesting rail tour, no new haulages today, but some more red track highlighted into my atlas.

Some random pictures:

66109 arriving into Reading:


At Plymouth:


The River Fowey:


Former Plymouth Friary was the other side of that bridge:


66177 departing Reading:
 
Last edited:

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
Your Merseyside trip sounded similar to mine with all those winners in a row! Nice work!

I would have been gutted if i had two duds on a railtour (mind you i need so many 66s and you may need less than me!). I agree with you, the Fowey branch is very scenic and the Okehampton the complete opposite. If they ever reinstate the North Devon route to Plymouth, that's when it would probably get interesting though as it skirts Dartmoor. The Friary branch runs right past my house! I was at work at the time so I didn't see the train come down. Trains down that branch are super rare these days!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
I need both of those 66s! Mind you at the time of the tour I was having fun over the other side of the pond ;)

A good time had it seems, although after that long tour we both did last year I'm not a fan of all-day affairs these days!
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Shame about the GM rubbish being duds but a bit of winner track means it is probably a worthwhile day!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,841
Location
West of Andover
13th March – A visit to the Wherry Lines

Oh yes, after a 4 week break, I was back on the rails doing a Sunday trip, you might remember a few weeks (or months) ago I was asking for information about visiting a certain remote shack, until I noticed that it sees a better service on Sundays then the rest of the week. Well the idea of today was to visit the Wherry Lines for the first time since May 14 to try and grab some shacks, and units other than 156422 which stalked me the last time I did the lines. Due to engineering works on the Great Eastern I decided to go via Cambridge (not to mention the cost saving with a day return from London to Cambridge only costing £10.95 on the weekend with my railcard, compared to £26 going via Ipswich.

Anyhow, with my trusty folding bike in hand (I forgot how pigging heavy it is!) I walked from the car to Andover to catch the 07:03, which this morning was formed of 159102 & 159106 and was going via the lovely Staines, and Isleworth, although the additional miles from the diversion meant that both units were now into the thousand mile club. As for the trip, the usual slowness around the loops arriving pretty much on time, where I had to decide the best way to reach Liverpool Street, the easy way was closed, so I decided on taking required 51516 & 51517 on the northern line to Tottenham Court Road, walking the long way to the Central line, where required 91165 was leading winner 92168 with duds 92430 & 91195 for the trip to Liverpool Street. Going via London Bridge with the Jubilee line I think is quicker.

Anyhow, with both the GEML and the area around Hackney Downs closed for engineering works meant for that time the only things out of Liverpool Street were Stansted expresses which were going non-stop via Stratford (and the Hertford East/Cambridge services starting from Stratford), I’ve never seen Liverpool Street that quiet as I boarded 379020 getting a good table seat on a semi-busy service, calling only at Tottenham Hale & Bishop’s Stortford, I had a rough idea to keep an eye out when heading up pass the Eurostar depot to see if the next Cambridge was a 317 or 379 and it was a 379 (and Tottenham Hale looked quite busy), so I decided to stay on 379020 for a nice near 40 mile run all the way to Stansted Airport.

A quick hop across to platform 1 to await the arrival from Cambridge and it was 379028 (another single Tottenham Hale trip unit) to take me to Cambridge, and was nice and quiet (which I guess the direct service would have been busy as it was another single 379, and as this way only had a 3 minute time penalty I decided it was worth the extra couple miles going via the airport). Into Cambridge and over the footbridge to board my first 170/2 since August 14, and because I’ve only had 3 I was expecting a required unit... Yep, it was winner 170206, taking a seat on the comfy red seats at a table, I settled down to watch the world go by, as we stopped at Lakenheath before carrying on. The guard on this service was fantastic in checking tickets after every stop and announcing connections when we rolled into Norwich.

I had a 40 minute fester at Norwich, which was used to visit the station Co-Op which isn’t a Co-Op for lunch, and to settle down to relax awaiting the arrival of the service to Great Yarmouth which I had pencilled for a potential linear bash if it was required, sadly it was super-mega dud 156422 (When I did the route coverage back in May 14, this was the unit which took me to Sheringham, then to Great Yarmouth and then to Lowestoft, as the units rotate through the three diagrams). I gave that up for winner 170271 working a Lowestoft working (looking at RTT units work Norwich – Lowestoft – Ipswich on Sundays, hence why Sundays this line has 1st class accommodation). We got going and I alighted at my first new shack of the afternoon at Reedham.

A nice two shorten platform station, well kept, with a busy road bridge next to the station, after a short walk I sat back to await the following Yarmouth service, which was calling at Berney Arms. In rolled winner 156409 as I requested the most unusual stop, I was told to head to the front, as due to a tiny platform, it was local door only as I alighted at Berney Arms. The bike remained folded up, as I put my hat on as it was a bit chilly in the wind and just relaxed, watching the world go by, with the feeling that I was the only living thing around that area, pure silence, bliss. The fields were a tad flooded and wearing my trainers (rather than my nice walking boots) I decided to stay put rather than risk getting wet feet. Besides I only had 20 minutes, before I flagged down fresh dud 156409 (the guard wasn’t surprised to see me reboard, maybe in the summer I will return and go for a walk along the river in this wonderful world).

156409 took me back to Brundall where I crossed over the footbridge watching the manually operated barriers being reopened to traffic, and relaxed before winner 156417 rolled in to take me to Lingwood. Where I unfolded my bike, got Google Maps up and running, happy I had a good signal and put in the next station where I wanted to be, 2.5 miles away it said, and 14 minutes later after a nice ride down country lanes I arrived at Buckenham, the 8th least used station in 2015, and to be honest it was down a little country lane, the station building turned into a private house (with a noisy workshop), and only sees request stop services calling at weekends, but what a beautiful view across the marshes with some birds. I awaited the time until the train would come, so got my high viz jacket out ready to flag down the train, shocking the driver of 156409 as I caused him to “stop for the first time here” as I took the unit to Cantley, crossing over via the foot crossing and had a nice seat (well not nice as the seat was metal rather than wood and was rather cold).

The station was overlooked by a large sugar plant, and had all of the platform in use (no fenced off disused part here), as I watched a 170/153 combo heading ECS towards Lowestoft, before winner 156416 took me to Brundall. My bike was unfolded as I headed up the big hill to “The Street” and rode in a west direction for around a mile turning down a poorly maintained path to reach Brundall Gardens, reading up on the history of this shack. I watched as 156409 returned rushing back towards Norwich, before a very familiar face rolled up, yep 156422 had caught up with me, to take me to my final shack between Norwich & Yarmouth to the passing point at Acle.

Long platforms, cut short, and a very busy sounding road close by, it was a peaceful wait for 156422 to come back in to take me to Norwich, rolling in just as an EMT towards Nottingham was departing, but winner 170201 was sat on the next Cambridge service, so taking a seat in the front (opposite someone who clearly wanted to put their feet up on the seat), this time no ticket checks, and a right time arrival into Cambridge, where I had two options, either a semi-fast 379 to Liverpool Street or a semi-fast 365(s) to Kings Cross, I decided to pick 365517/365518, so taking a seat in the mostly empty coach of 517 for the very enjoyable run to Kings Cross, calling at a few stations (giving me some glorious motor noise on accelerating) before a non-stop between Stevenage & Finsbury Park getting some good 100 mph running.

It was a short walk to the Victoria line, where winner 11065/66 took me forward to Oxford Circus, followed by dud 3235 & required 3542 to Waterloo, a quick visit to the American Embassy, Waterloo branch (McDonalds) for some food before heading up to sit on 159012 (I think) which was to form the 21:15. Come 21:12, the engines were still turned off, and come 21:15 the guard said there would be a delay as we were awaiting the driver, come 21:25 and the service which would form the 22:15 was put in on top of us, the driver was delayed, and they had to kick everybody off to play some musical trains (joining all 3 units up before splitting 159005 off), we eventually got going at 21:47, however we had missed the path and due to delays caused by a late departure of the 21:13 stopper, meant that most things were delayed. We eventually rolled into Andover 45 minutes down, not the nicest of ends to the evening.

Anyhow with 6 new units in the bag (plus a handful of LU), with 8 new shacks as well, that corner of Norfolk is looking better, but some random pictures of my day’s travels:

170271 departing Reedham:


156409 running away from Berney Arms:


The Windmill:


No I didn’t touch that sign!


The nice iron footbridge at Brundall (to exit the station you need to go up and over the other side


Manual gates!


156417 departing Lingwood:


The Norwich bound platform at Buckenham, keep walking and you will eventually reach it!


I spy with my little eye... a tree!

And Cars:


156409 looking all 156 like at Cantley:


Quite long platforms...


153335 & friend heading to Lowestoft


Brundall Gardens (plus 156409):

No camping coach sadly these days:


156422 at Acle:
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Sounds like a great day out in Anglia! Congrats on Berney Arms particularly! But what's a co-op that isn't a co-op?
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Ah, thanks!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,841
Location
West of Andover
A most productive day there, must be quite a few miles off 156422 now :lol:

Just over 139 miles from it.

The only thing I sort of dislike about the refurbished 156s is the lack of fold down tables on the airline seating, although the longest journey they do is 90 minutes (Lowestoft to Ipswich) but that is still a long journey if you have a cup of coffee.

And when are GA going to get around to repainting the 170s?
 
Last edited:

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
That jaunt around East Anglia sounds good. You certainly racked up your mileage with 156422. So presumably that means all shacks between Norwich and Yarmouth sorted for you. East Suffolk next?

I'll have to try to remember about the enhanced Sunday service to Berney Arms rather than try to knock it out on a weekday. Buckenham is the other awkward one to bag but again, I think more doable on a Sunday.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
Buckenham certainly is far easier on a Sunday, although without a timetable in front of me I'm unable to compare notes. Required for me, as are most shacks over there, hence my interest in it.

I'm not at all jealous of Kite of course ;)
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
Nice work with some of those shacks! I think it will be a long time before I am up in those parts again to be honest and I need a whole load of them.
 

AJM580

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2016
Messages
655
Location
Norwich
Nice to see you had a good day in my corner of the UK. The 37s are my chosen method of transport when out on the Wherry lines. It's a long walk to Yarmouth or Reedham, so its a good job that 156409 stopped for you at Berney Arms. In the good old days, I've had loco hauled trains stop at Acle, Lingwood, Brundall and Reedham. The pub just down the road from Brundall is worth a visit between trains as well!!
 
Last edited:

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
Wow, you're certainly getting those stations roped in.
What are you going to do once you've cleared them?
Maybe do them all again in alphabetical order ;)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,841
Location
West of Andover
Nice to see you had a good day in my corner of the UK. The 37s are my chosen method of transport when out on the Wherry lines. It's a long walk to Yarmouth or Reedham, so its a good job that 156409 stopped for you at Berney Arms. In the good old days, I've had loco hauled trains stop at Acle, Lingwood, Brundall and Reedham. The pub just down the road from Brundall is worth a visit between trains as well!!

i will aim to get back to norwich on a day the 37s are out to play :)

As for pubs, I'm a non-drinker so they don't really appeal to me

----

Please let it be the last weekend of the Staines diversions, another 20 minute delay caused by late running stoppers :(
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
I need to get over there, I need 37 haulage again. I would imagine the Staines diversion will happen next weekend too...
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,841
Location
West of Andover
Thankfully the Easter Weekend, sees the lines around Putney (& Southampton) closed for engineering works so should be nice and easy straight shots down the main-line, no looking out of the window for required 450s as the below shows :)

18th March – Hunting for my Red Pen

Slightly different idea for today’s little trip to London, a good old style unit hunt, with the focus on some odds and sods from the SWT empire, a request for diagrams the units were on got me working out a rough plan, so it was a drive to Andover for the 14:38 towards Waterloo to put my plan in place. 158883/159002/159105 were the trio of units to take me forward... and straight away my plan T (for tight) went out of the window as we were delayed departing and ran forward at caution due to reports of animals on the track, arriving into Clapham 5 down, where I decided to bail, even though I had no chance of making my tight 4 minute connection. A change to plan A then as I walked over to the Windsor side to spot a required 458/5 heading off into the distance (making a note of when it was due back from Waterloo towards Windsor and being happy it felt into my gap.

Duds 458513 & 458524 rolled in to take me the short distance to Vauxhall, as before I made a start with some DC hunting, I had an AC unit in my sights. To the Victoria line and as time wasn’t really on my side to do any hunting for my last 10 sets, so a straight run was in order to Kings Cross St Pancras on dud units 11080/11079, and up to the suburban platforms with a good 5 minutes to spare (noting that unusually both gatelines on the main-line side were closed, blimey Virgin must be having a revenue block!). Dud 321405 was sat on platform 10, with required 321404 on the rear, my last Great Northern Dusty Bin to get into my book (leaving just 2 365s to clear the GN fleet), so it onto the usual Finsbury Park leap, and down to the Victoria line and dud 11041/11042 took me back to Vauxhall, no point hanging around as my 365s weren’t allocated earlier, so who knows what they were doing (probably would have formed a peak time service which runs fast to Stevenage).

I wanted to be on the Windsor side of Clapham for the first SWT service I wanted to be on, so to platform 2 at Vauxhall, wait I went up the wrong stairs, doh! Thinking head on, and up to platform 3/ 4 island, the first service was delayed before dud 458526 rolled in, at least clearing this one for a mile, for the short run to Clapham, where I got my little deckchair out and waited for a pair of 455s to roll in from Waterloo (via Kingston), dud 455716 was at the front with required 455857 on the rear, only 455732 left to get to clear the SWT 455s (plus 2 Southern 455s), and I don’t think I will be getting that one any time soon [currently the guinea pig for the 455 retraction project]. To Vauxhall and it was a fast turnaround back out on 458519 & 458536 and down to platform 7 to link up with an inbound working from Portsmouth Harbour, my only one shot of the evening (as it would then work a Portsmouth service running fast to Guildford before heading to depot). 5 minutes of festering on platform 7 later and following RTT to follow its progress as dud 450021 rolled in, required 450116 was in the middle and dud 450105 on the rear. Excellent 2 SWT units down, 3 from my wanted list to go, nice fast run into Waterloo, where I dashed and jumped on the next service towards Clapham Junction.

When it rolled into Clapham and I had the chance to breath (full and standing in the rear door area as I jumped on a few seconds before the doors closed) super-duds 450076 & 450039 did the honours of another 3 mile 74 chain run to Clapham, where I crossed over to platform 10 (very busy subway, not helped by people deciding to walk on the right hand side or 3 abreast). Another short wait, noticing that services were starting to collapse a bit due to electrical supply problems on the London bound line around Claygate, but thankfully my next service wasn’t affected, and in rolled 455726 with required 456021 in the middle and required 456018 on the rear, my last 2 456s together, almost as good as when I was searching for Thameslink units and my last 2 TL 319s were together!.

Although I couldn’t decide which of the mini-red devils I should jump on for the short run to Vauxhall, so picked 018, down the very busy stairs and up to platform 2 to await the arrival of the inbound working from Windsor I highlighted earlier, which went into the bin as required 458506 rolled in, a tad busy for the run to Waterloo, where I decided to wait for that Windsor service which was a couple minutes behind 506. Required (and fresh into service I believe) 458521 was leading dud 458503 so I jumped onto 521 for a seat in the former 1st class area, to await departure to Clapham Junction. Another couple 458/5s into the book without even searching for them, as I walked over to platform 11, still in a bit of chaos with Hampton Court services cancelled, and a Guildford via Epsom service rolling in first, giving that a miss and waited for 455742 & 455850 to roll in working a Guildford via Claygate service, with the run to Surbiton pushing both into super-dud status and over that nice 10 mile mark.

Surbiton was in a state of chaos, with the London bound platform being quite busy (due to lack of trains), but it was a short wait before a stopper from Hampton Court rolled in clearing up most of the passengers, before a very late pair of 455s rolled in from the Claygate line, terminating into platform 1 (arrived 107 minutes late, ouch for anybody caught on it!) However that caused a bit of chaos as a 450 set from Alton got changed to platform 2, before the next service from Basingstoke arrived, dud 450091 rolled in, with required 450551 on the rear, my last 450! With a big smile on my face I took a seat on 551 and relaxed for the non-stop run to Waterloo, running in alongside a pair of 458/5s where I couldn’t help noticing that one was required, so a quick check of RTT saw that they were due out shortly I jumped onto dud 458508 which was leading required 458528 for the customary run to Vauxhall, before heading back to Waterloo on 455914 & 455715. Getting 528 into my book leaves only 507 & 529 left to get of the 458/5s which are down south, 501 & 516 are also needed, but are currently out of traffic.

I decided to call it an evening (although I was pulled slightly by the urge of heading to the Waterloo & City line to see if 65503/65504 were out to play, but decided to head via Sainsburys (seems to have a few additional card-only self-service tills now), before taking a seat on 159104 & 159013 to head back to Andover. A very successful day I reckon, with 9 new units (and 2 more classes complete) into my book, and as Lord Techni once said, considering how little I need in the London area, that is quite good going.


-------------

19th March – A Greater Manchester Wayfarer day

A slightly different day to my normal Wayfarer days as I wasn’t going after shacks, nor units, instead having a forum trip on several buses to explore the area covered by the Wayfarer, and due to advance fares not being available on the early morning services from Grateley, it was once more via Quinn’s favourite mode of transport. With services going via Staines, meant a reduced service heading into Waterloo, so the 05:59 was cut back to Basingstoke (as was as most of the stopping services between Salisbury & Waterloo), and was formed of a nice and empty 159101 for the run sitting on the lovely memory foam (I can only hope that eventually it softens up) seating for the run to Basingstoke.

As usual a 2-car 165 was on the services to Reading, so I gave that a miss in exchange for waiting for the 06:50 service towards Manchester, using the time to pick up my Wayfarer from the ticket office at Basingstoke, dud 220031 was the voyager in charge to take me to Reading, where I had a short break (when booking the direct services to Manchester were a lot more expensive than the services which require a change at New Street). 30 minutes later dud 220015 rolled in for the nice speedy run via the festival chord from P8 to the relief lines for some fast running, looking out at the speed of progress on the wiring work. As this one was heading to Newcastle, we stayed on the main-line after Leamington for the non-stop run via Warwick rolling into Birmingham New Street, pretty much on time.

I had no signal to check my phone to see which platform the Manchester train was due out from, so up to the concourse to check the information board, before heading back down the same stairs and to the B-end of the platform, we rolled into 9A, and the next service was from 9B, a good connection, as dud 220034 rolled in from Cardiff. Grabbing seat 52 in coach D (also known as the best table seat in coach D) for the run to Stockport, arriving pretty much on time, as I alighted, working out from RTT I had 3 attempts at something required to get to Piccadilly in time to meet up with everybody. First strike was a dud 185 from Cleethorpes, 2nd strike was a dud 390 from Euston, and 3rd strike was dud 175002, which was quite busy (for it was a mere 2-coach unit, ATW should really try and grab some of those Scotrail 170s when they come available to boost long-distance services to being at least 3 coaches.

Anyhow I soon arrived into Piccadilly, and eventually met up with the others, and we split up with a few heading to the trams, and a few heading to a bus stop on Cholrton Street around a 5 minute walk from Piccadilly. The first bus of the day was a double decker, of which I didn’t get the fleet number, but it was a Lancashire Way route X41 final stop Blackburn, grabbing a front seat for the slow route out of Manchester, picking up the others at Prestwich, once out of the suburbs it was a nice area with rather good scenery and a good motorway run as we jumped off around a place called Haslingden. A short walk to another bus stop to await a single decker service from an operator called “Rosso”, a route 464 towards Rochdale (fleet number 222 I believe), and was a very interesting run looking out of the window at an area I haven’t visited before.

Leaving the bus around Rochdale town centre, we had a short break before walking to the metrolink stop, to await winning tram 3110 for the short run to Shaw & Crompton, where another tram was waiting in the bay platform working a Shaw & Crompton – Exchange Square service, so a bit of a micro-grind for the bay as after a short photo I boarded winner 3079 to await departure along the route through Victoria and onto the short section of the 2nd City Crossing which has been complete to Exchange Square. A short walk along the route to see progress (or the lack of in places), before arriving to Deansgate-Castlefield station, as I jumped onto winners 3097 & 3067 for the single hop to Cornbrook to await the rest to join me, before we headed off on required 3066 for the slow run towards the Airport, alighting at Wythenshawe Town Centre.

Crossing over to the bus interchange, I searched for a toilet, only to find one which you had to pay to use, so I decided to give that a miss, and as we boarded an Arriva operated bus working a route 18 service to the Trafford Centre (bus number 3102), and blimey the Trafford Centre looks massive. I can only imagine how chaotic it gets during Christmas time, but we weren’t staying around for long as we headed to stand 2 to await a Diamond bus (although branded Preston Bus, fleet 30919) route 300 service which was non-stop via the motorway to Bolton bus station, so some good bus thrash for a bus which departed full and standing. A short while later (time flies) we arrived into the dump of Bolton bus station, with a new interchange being built closer to the railway station the old bus station appears to have been left to rot away in places. Anyhow we walked to the train station for the first train of the trip, dud 156488 from Blackpool on route to Hazel Grove, where we were deciding where to go next.

We alighted at Oxford Road, and went to a small bar with the rugby on in the background (followed by loud music), which had a simple menu of some nice pie, I said farewell (the music was too loud for my liking) as I walked back to Oxford Road, and as I was heading through the barriers a pair of 158s from Liverpool rolled in, dud 158864 was on the front with required 158862 on the rear, so jumping on (only 3 EMT 158s left) for the short trip to Piccadilly, it was time to fire up RTT. Next Oxford Road service was a dud 175, so the next up was a required move to link up with two Picaddilly bound workings, so it was dud 319383 (first time with Northern) back to Oxford Road. 1st up was a pair of dud 185s from Blackpool, but the 2nd from Liverpool was required 185108, so I’m down to single figures for required 185s for the short 43 chain leap to Piccadilly.

With nothing else to do I walked over to where the 390 working the 20:35 Euston service was waiting, so avoiding the ticket check at the front of the platform as I headed down the stairs from the over bridge, to find it was dud 390016, and I grabbed a table seat in coach F, texting the others who were coming back with me, at my location for the fast run back. It was into the fast lines south of Milton Keynes, and I ‘accidently’ stayed on after Watford (didn’t fancy the 377/7 to Clapham) and we rolled into Euston a good 17 minutes ahead of schedule. Saying goodbye to the others I headed to the Southbound Charing Cross branch of the Northern line for a spot of linear bashing.

First up was 51593 & 51594 to Goodge Street, followed by 51640 & 51641 to Leicester Square, a minute later 51566 & 51565 made it 3 in a row to Embankment, where sadly my run was ended by dud 51513 & 51514 to Waterloo, swinging via Tesco to grab a light snack, before heading to the Windsor side. Nothing of interest, so I waited as dud 444043 rolled in working the 23:40, and through to myself “this is going to be interesting” (this service would normally have been the 23:35 to Southampton, but got pushed back 5 minutes to pick up passengers for the 23:40 Salisbury service which was starting from Basingstoke, so 2 lots of passengers on a single 444. I departed Waterloo and the service was full and standing, I think going via London was a very wise thing to do, as it got quite cosy at Clapham. The train was routed via Isleworth, but sadly we soon caught up with a stopper which was delayed leaving Waterloo, which meant by the time we rejoined the main-line around Feltham, we lost the path and felt like we were caught behind a Reading bound stopper, we eventually rolled into Woking, unusually onto platform 2, a good 25 minutes late, with announcements that the Salisbury service would be held (I guess SWT didn’t want to fork out the taxi fares!)

Rolling into Basingstoke on platform 3, 159105 & 159008 was sat on platform 2, so crossing over and a couple minutes later we were away, clearing 159105 for 1000 miles in the progress on the nice run back to Grateley, although even with some spirited running we didn’t make up any time. I alighted to the sound of 66s ticking over, with 66749 leading 66705 with some ballast wagons (no idea when I checked when I got home, RTT suggested it terminated at Grateley without any sort of next move, I’m guessing it would eventually head up towards London for the engineering work but who knows, but thankfully I couldn’t hear the tick-over of 705 from my room so once home was a case of heading to bed.

A quite enjoyable, and unusual (for me) day :)

Trams 3110 & 3079 at Shaw & Crompton:
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top