I reckon there's a good chance of 153365 being next to go down that way
As always, an excellent read and several steps closer to conquering the South East!
153371 is down this week
---
20th February A day in Nottingham
The Nottingham Express Transit is one light rail system which remains uncleared for me, my only prior use of the system was back in April 2014 with a one way trip from the now closed Station Street stop all the way to Hucknall, so the Phoenix Park branch and the southbound loop remained uncovered even before the extensions was opened up, so with a forum day out it was into the diary.
With a nice walk to Grateley for the 05:27 (which I must admit I didnt sleep that well the night before, so was a bit of a zombie), which was formed this morning of 159009, which I decided to bail at Clapham Junction as I spotted a pair of 450s working a suburban service and misread the number of the front unit, as it was duds 450078 & 450564 for the short leap to Vauxhall, we paused for a couple minutes before the station, and when I left on duds 458534 & 458505 from the other platform, the pair of 450s was still sat on the platform (and a look at RTT suggested that they remained there for a further 8 minutes). The SWT £15 day return wasnt on this week (due to half term) so I was on a regular ticket to London Terminals, which meant a short walk over to Waterloo East, with 4 options to get to Charing Cross.
First up was a pair of dud 376s, followed by a pair of 465s, before required
465909 rolled in attached to 465161, wasnt expecting a 465/9 to tip up this morning, but I wasnt going to turn it down for the 61 chain leap across the mighty Thames to Charing Cross, and heading via the Co-Op outside the station I went down to the Bakerloo platform, with time to kill I decided to do a spot of linear hopping, and
3545 rolled in with dud 3231 for the tiny distance to Piccadilly Circus, followed 4 minutes later with dud 3535 leading required
3235 to Oxford Circus. Luck was on my side this morning as required
11079/080 was up second for a Warren Street leap, followed by a couple dud sets before
11028/027 to Euston followed a minute (or 2) later with
11083/084 to Kings Cross St Pancras, arriving with a good 20 minutes to go before departure time of the HST to Nottingham.
The 08:15 to Nottingham this morning was formed of required
43076 leading dud 43054 (last seen in January bringing me back from Edinburgh) so I was happy one of my required EMT 43s was on this service, and as I was in 1st class, I had a nice single seat for the trip northbound to Nottingham, arriving pretty much on time (maybe a couple minutes early), alighting at Nottingham where I headed towards the tram platform (anybody else thing that the ticket barriers at Nottingham are the biggest waste of time, seeing as the side gate is wide open and you can exit the station via the tram platform if you really wanted to dodge paying), anyhow with my Kangaroo ticket purchased and 15 or so minutes to kill before the next Matlock service, I jumped onto my 2nd NET tram (the 1st I didnt grab the number of, so a lot of required trams today). It was one of the original Incentro trams,
203 for the short leap to
Lace Market with Citadis tram
230 taking me back to Nottingham Station.
The Matlock service was in Nottingham East, behind a required XC service (first stop Derby), behind a required Northern 158, the far end of platform 4, but it was worth the walk as it was required
156406 which I was going to take to the mostly hourly served
Attenborough, which has a +3, and a footbridge which makes it easier to get across to the other platform (although finding the entrance to the platform was hard work as it isnt sign posted), but I made it to be rewarded with winner
153355 for the short run back to Beeston. I decided to purchase a day return and headed to
East Midlands Parkway on dud 158852. Wow those cooling towers of the Ratcliffe-on-Soar power station are massive, and the station itself isnt much to shout about. 7 minutes later dud 156411 rolled in to take me back to Beeston, followed by an extended wait for a delayed 222 from St Pancras, which was dud 222012.
To Nottingham, where I met up with other forum members who arrived around the same time, and a quick visit to the Tesco outside to pick up lunch and tickets before meeting on the platform, after introductions we jumped onto tram
213 for the long trip down the first of the southern extensions to
Clifton South, nice enough tram ride, mix between road running and own space. At Clifton South, we crossed over the road to meet up with a double decker bus working a route 48 (bus 970) to head back towards the City, going in a different way. Back to the station and with a short fast walk we jumped onto tram
220 for the run down the other branch towards
Toton Lane.
I think the original plan had us walking to the bank overlooking Toton depot, but as the weather wasnt the best we jumped back onto the same tram to double back to
Beeston Central for a walk crossing many roads to Beeston. Half of us jumped onto dud 156473 heading towards Lincoln, the other half stayed to wait for the 222. We arrived on time, the 222 was late (seemed like most of the Nottingham stoppers yesterday from St Pancras were running late), but after a much needed toilet break on the 156 we headed from Nottingham East (far end of platform 1) and headed to the tram platform to see the system in a bit of a chaos, something had happened earlier which meant there was delays floating around. After everybody else joined us, the next Phoenix Park tram wasnt due for 20-odd minutes, so it was onto tram
211 for the run to Hucknall, nice bit of speed when alongside the Robin Hood line.
Like at Toton, we stayed on the same tram to head back towards
Highbury Vale. The next Phoenix Park tram was approaching with another a minute behind, so me and Starmill decided for a quick shack attack and jumped onto tram
221 for the short run to
Cinderhill before tram
235 closely followed as I rejoined the rest of the gang to
Phoenix Park, the single track section causing chaos as 221 was soon out followed by us, as we went into the double track section at Highbury Vale, there was already another couple trams waiting to head down the branch. I stayed on 235 down the southbound loop to
The Forest where I said farewell to the rest of the gang and I went back north on tram
219 to
Basford which was closely followed by tram
231 for a nano leap to
David Lane.
Tram
224 was up next to take me to
Bulwell Forest where the island platform allowed me to score tram
212 to
Bulwell NET. A few minutes at the joint station later and I joined tram
201 to
Moor Bridge, before joining tram 224 back to Bulwell, annoyingly it means one stop remains at this end of the line, but I met up with Mr Quinn as I crossed over to the hourly served
Bulwell national rail station and winner
158865 rolled in to take us back to Nottingham station itself. After spotting an old friend (the SWT 158) I said farewell to Quinn as I jumped onto required
156404 bound for Skegness. The line between Nottingham and Skegness has quite a few very limited service shacks, some are every 2 hours, some have a tiny handful of services calling daily and some are like Elton & Orston which only see one service. Basically it is a line which will take a lot of planning and bike riding, but I might as well start as I alighted at
Netherfield, the first stop which is an island platform (although looked like it might have had a bay platform in the past). Unsurprisingly I was the only person alighting, but I saw someone else boarding.
Netherfield is probably the easiest of the limited service shacks, as there is a nearby station a mere 5 minute walk away, bit more as I went via a Co-Op for some food, before arriving at a basic
Carlton. A pair of required dog-boxes were spotted heading towards Lincoln, as dud 156411 reappeared running a few minutes late to take me back to Nottingham. Just under 2 hours to kill, but as I spotted a required XC 170 working towards Birmingham which called at Beeston, I couldnt turn it down, so it was to Beeston on winner
170522. An inbound service from Matlock was running late and was formed of a required 153, which I turned down, before seeing a HST roll pass, noting that both power-cars were needed and it should form the 18:32, first stop East Midlands Parkway. A quick check of BR Fares found a day return wasnt that much, so after a dud 170 and a 156 I joined dud 222017 back to Nottingham, running 7 minutes late. A quick hop to the TVM, waiting for someone to collect tickets that didnt have either card or reference number at hand, purchasing my ticket before taking a seat on
43064 leading
43050 for the nice enough trip to East Midlands Parkway.
I turned down the Nottingham bound HST as I knew it would form the 19:32 which I was booked on, and I knew if I caught it into Nottingham it would be pretty much game over in terms of potential leaps. So it was onto dud 156411 for the 3rd time of the day to Beeston, and after a while dud 222005 working to Lincoln rolled up to take me to Nottingham. Dud 43061 was leading dud 43052 for the 19:32, so taking a seat in the 1st class coach (this time at the rear of the train on departure), I settled back and relaxed for the nice enough trip, before Leicester there was only me and someone else in the coach, so was nice and peaceful.
Arriving into St Pancras pretty much on time, I headed to the Victoria Line (before loading up departures from Charing Cross), and the 2nd service was required
11001/002 (13 sets remain) so happy days as I took it to Oxford Circus, and duds 3231/3545 (same pair as I had in the morning) on the Bakerloo took me down to Charing Cross, and I exited via the subway and entered into Charing Cross by the main entrance. RTT in hand to highlight departures, first up was a pair of 465s from P5 (and a pair of 375s from P6), I didnt go through the gateline to see what was on the front but the rears were duds, so I went across to the P1-P4 barriers, and spotted a required blue 375. Leading was dud 375827 with required
375617 behind for the short hop to Waterloo East. Changing to RTT for Waterloo, where I noticed the inbound Exeter service was delayed by around 45 minutes, which got me thinking that it will most likely be capped at Woking, and with me being a bit hungry I jumped onto duds 450545/450081 for the non-stop run to Woking. As 450545 has Wi-Fi I checked RTT and yep the 22:20 was starting from Woking tonight, so a good call I reckon, as I headed out of the station to grab a McDonalds, witnessing some chavastic behaviour from some locals, before heading back to Woking station to have a seat to await the 159 to roll in from wherever it was sent to keep out of the way).
159001 rolled in around 22:40, so I took a nice table seat and was expecting not to get away until the 22:30 towards Portsmouth arrived, not sure what was displayed at Waterloo for passengers to board, but it must have been the 22:12 Basingstoke stopper (which appeared to have been held up to depart at 22:20 going by RTT). Not a lot of passengers boarded after that 450 rolled in (although I was in the rear coach so the front 2 coaches could have been busy), but we were away on time which is always a bonus. Nice enough run to Andover where the train terminated for some engineering works, so it was out of the station to join a rail replacement bus, a regular Stagecoach service bus a ADL Dart SLF going by the fleet number of 35254, a bit shake rattle and roll as it got up to speed to drop me off at Grateley, where I had a nice walk home to relax for another Sunday off, although this time it is due to engineering works in the Woking area.
Anyhow, here be a picture of 156404 running away from the rather bare bones Netherfield: