• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,841
Location
West of Andover
Congratulations on the excessive shack scratching last weekend but I am so, so jealous. 150121 is the only Great Western 150 that I need outright. Saw it a few times on the GOBLIN but never caught up with it before it went westwards.

I'm sure it won't be long before you clear the Cornish shacks and Devon will follow soon after.....

The jaunt around the Surrey/Kent borders must have taken a little planning but looks like it paid off. And bagging some 375s and 377s in the process can't be bad. Don't feel guilty about wanting loads of 375s, even serious mileage men have shedloads of them on their lists!

I've got one more Saturday planned in November which will hopefully clear my remaining Cornish shacks and hopefully Topsham as well, although will leave Cranbrook for when it eventually opens [which should hopefully be an easy enough post-work trundle as the timetable suggests it's hourly rather than 2-hourly]

My last 2 FW 150/1s are 120 & 129, with 232 & 265 for the /2s, will probably take some blind luck in catching up with them as they can work pretty much anywhere in the former Wessex network


---

Plumpton is a nightmare, most Sundays between now and the end of the year has engineering works on, my original plan was to catch the 08:19 GW to Brighton from Romsey, linking up with the Ashford service to do Appledore, fester for 40 minutes before the same unit back to Rye, fester for an hour to head back towards Lewes, changing on route to an Ore-Victoria service to grab Plumpton before back to Lewes then to Brighton and back towards Southampton. Might have to be a weekday evening smash & grab.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
I've got one more Saturday planned in November which will hopefully clear my remaining Cornish shacks and hopefully Topsham as well, although will leave Cranbrook for when it eventually opens [which should hopefully be an easy enough post-work trundle as the timetable suggests it's hourly rather than 2-hourly]

My last 2 FW 150/1s are 120 & 129, with 232 & 265 for the /2s, will probably take some blind luck in catching up with them as they can work pretty much anywhere in the former Wessex network


---

Plumpton is a nightmare, most Sundays between now and the end of the year has engineering works on, my original plan was to catch the 08:19 GW to Brighton from Romsey, linking up with the Ashford service to do Appledore, fester for 40 minutes before the same unit back to Rye, fester for an hour to head back towards Lewes, changing on route to an Ore-Victoria service to grab Plumpton before back to Lewes then to Brighton and back towards Southampton. Might have to be a weekday evening smash & grab.

Everyone says that the ex Overground 150s are easy but your needs are another example that they are not.

Appledore to Rye or vice versa is doable by bike in about 40 minutes and it is virtually flat. Probably best to start from Rye as you can give most of Rye's one way system a miss. The only gradients that you would encounter are leaving Rye and they are far from severe. Once you get over the railway and into Military Road, it's flat all the way. It would save you an hour and if you missed the train at Appledore, then you'd still be back on schedule. Let me know if you want more hints and tips for Rye.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Did you ever see 150921 (3 Car) when it was in service?

Yeah, saw 921 (and 121 before then), just never ridden 121. I've had 921 but that's a completely different unit in my book as the power cars are different. I'll get it one day...
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,841
Location
West of Andover
Good call on ditching the train at Rye and riding to Appledore, I reckon I will have around 50 minutes to ride between the two stations (and google is suggesting 40 minutes) although will depend on the weather as I plan to attack them on the 22nd November (and Plumpton probably on a Friday evening).

Although I'm breaking out the bike for a little Daysave this coming Sunday as I've noticed the Uckfield line has got trains! Plus it will be useful in the South western corner of the SWT metro (Raynes Park towards Ewell West & Chessington) as some of those stations appear to be close together
 
Last edited:

Kristofferson

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2012
Messages
1,132
I'll admit I'm only up to the end of the "last 321" report so far, but will read the rest later!

I did enjoy the 323 action on the XCity during my time as a Brum commuter, and Kings Norton (as well as New Street of course) became very familiar to me.

I don't miss the constant trespassers, however. Will never forget the time I saw a child climbing the signals at KNN... :o And all this was so long ago that Alvechurch was still single track last time I was there!

I'm glad to see the 321s got a decent send off, tried out a 319 on the Abbey line myself this week and the 2+2 seating is most comfortable. The line itself is very disappointing though, I was under the impression it was scenic??

Good reads so far :)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,841
Location
West of Andover
I wouldn't call the Abbey line scenic, it is quite forgettable, similar to the lines around South London.

Sadly my reports from my West Yorkshire trip on Saturday and today's Uckfield line [plus some random SWT metro shacks] trip will have to wait until I get back from my holiday, I did hope to get them done tonight but I got caught up in the engineering overrun at Victoria this morning [although did have a nice non-stop run on a pair of 377s between East Croydon & Oxted]. But only 4 Southern shacks remain :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Kite in Japan (days 1&2)

Firstly I'm sorry in advance for any spelling/grammar errors as this is being written on my nexus 7 via Google keep, so no spell check. Anyhow I was feeling a bit down after my China trip earlier in the year so I accidentally booked myself onto a 2 week touring holiday to Japan, using Cosmos Holidays for the first time (the company I normally book with didn't have a decent Japan trip which covers a lot of the strange country, the land of the rising sun)

Anyhow, it was time to depart to Heathrow T4 for the 16:00 to Doha, which connects with the 01:50 to Tokyo (no night restrictions in the middle East it seems), the first time flying with Qatar airways and on a Boeing 777. I managed to book a brother taxi (for the reasonable fee of lunch) and we set of around 11:00, not knowing what the M3/M25 would be like. Apart from the ongoing roadworks on the M3 resulting in a 50mph speed limit apart for a short distance between J5 & Fleet services it was free flowing. Lunch was provided in fleet services McDonalds which has touch screens in which you can order yourself and pick up from the collection point, how very modern.

The free flowing continued to J2, the M25, which is probably the first time that has happened to me (always has been stop/start at the junction) and onto a free flowing M25, coming off and going the long way (or so it feels) to the free drop off area where I said my goodbyes and went to check in. No Virgin style self check in machines here, just a slowish moving queue, but 20 minutes later I had checked in, collecting my two booking passes and had 2 and a half hours before boarding so I decided to head downstairs to the station to see if I could get lucky with some required 332s.

I was in luck as required 332008 was on the T2/3 - T4 shuttle service (was expecting a 360) and so to Terminals 2&3 as T1 is closed. The 332 departed back to T4 and a pair of 332s arrived from Paddington, sadly it was a pair of dud units, 332005 & 332013, I couldn't grab the number of the rear unit when they arrived as the numbers are horrible to try and get (as they are on a curved part) and the coach numbers don't relate to the set numbers as like some classes. 12 minute fester at T5 before the same pair took me back to T2/3 and 332008 rolled in to take me back to T4. At least one unit is better than none.

Security was next up, I was expecting a long wait... 3 minutes later I was putting my belt back on and stuff back in my bag, pretty much no queues whatsoever, plus no world duty free shop to walk through to get to the gate area. Via whsmiths to pick up a meal deal for later I headed over to gate 5 where the unknown 777-300 long/extended range was being loaded so I took a seat to wait as I was in row 11 and previously when I've flown it's been filled up from the rear so I was expecting to be called to board near the end. Located my window seat for the 6 and a bit hour flight to Doha. At a rough guess the section of the plane I was in was around 66℅ full on departure so I was going to shift to an empty row just for that extra bit of space (although not like I needed it as the seats were 3+3+3 rather than the usual 3+4+3) with lots of legroom. Much better than the Virgin Airbus which took me to China.

In the end I didn't have to move as the person in the middle moved after takeoff to an empty pair of seats in row 10 (first row of economy) I was in front of the engine so didn't have much in the way of engine noise, the most noise was coming from the AC. Had a drink run, followed by a food run, and that was it, no other drinks runs, the next time we saw the stewards after they cleared up dinner was an hour or so before landing when they brought out a light snack (a chicken wrap). I used the time watching some movies (Inside out, Home and Frozen {yes I know, but I hadnt seen it before}) and making a list of movies to try and watch coming back. Somewhere looked bright as we neared Qatar where we landed at around 00:35 (22:35 UK). Brilliant flight in terms of turbulence (none at all, the seat belt sign went off after take off and came back on shortly before landing)

At 00:50 I was off the plane getting some freshish air and a walk as passengers transferring at Hamar international (Doha) were diverted via a couple side doors to the departure area, with a handy screen in front, no messing around with security which was nice, after a quick PNB I was in the queue for the 01:50 to Narita International*airport which was due to take 10odd hours (expected arrival info Japan was at 18:30 local time, so around 11:30 UK time). This time it was a Boeing 700-200 extended range plane, and this time I was unlucky to get given a middle seat and as far as I could tell the flight was around 95% full, the only other seats I saw free were other middle seats, boo. Anyhow we were back in the air, this time I had my new book ready to read as I was going to attempt some sleep.

Like the previous flight, lots of legroom and space (if economy is this good, what is it like in premium economy (those seats looked really lush), no drink run until the main food came (printed menus this time) and nothing to be seen of the stewards afterwards (although I did press the call button to ask for another drink as I needed it, no Delta/Virgin style endless drink runs. Anyhow the lights went down and I attempted to grab some sleep, attempt is the word as I kept on waking up. Eventually I did manage to get an hour or so of sleep as the lights came back up and breakfast was served (pancake for me as the other two options involved egg), after going via the rear to grab a couple small cans of diet coke before relaxing to continue my book as we began the process to land and as expected we landed pretty much on time, maybe 15 minutes early, another good flight for bumping wise.

Passport control was cleared and apart from the customs agent deciding he wanted to look in my hold bag for dodgy stuff and I was out to the arrivals area, whereas on previous packaged tour holidays I've been met by the main tour guide at the airport this time was different, apart from a couple other members of the party having their luggage misplaced in Dubai (seems there was an option to go via Gatwick using another airline) the group was all there (16 members) and we were took outside to wait for the bus, as we were given tickets for the 19:30 departure to The Akasaka area with drop offs at 6 other hotels plus the city air terminal, in the end only one other hotel was dropped off at.

Onto a comfortable bus with tons of legroom for an hour trip from the airport to the city centre via toll expressways. Alighting at the hotel the group went upstairs to check in (no tour guide to group check in) and I went upstairs to my single room on the 9th floor. Nice enough room, full of hotel related bits and pieces, and after doing a little sorting out and going via a little 7-11 shop just outside the hotel for some water (and some very nice Japanese bread with some cheese & ham on top), with my bed calling. A note on the envelope we were given with the room key said to be at the ground floor entrance for 08:45 on Wednesday to meet the tour guide.
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
Quite an interesting experience so far I see! Qatar isn't the best airline to fly with service wise it sounds like.

I didn't notice any spelling mistakes so you did well with your trip report on the move. Looking forward to the rest of it as it comes of course, dread to think how much this holiday cost you mind!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,841
Location
West of Andover
Going 300km/h is good fun, even though it's 3+2 in all airline seating (with lots of legroom) :)
CRRuyPtUEAE5r3I.jpg


(Hopefully that picture has worked)

The Japan railways system is confusing at times, the main operator is JR (east/central/west) but you get random private tracks and other companies thrown into the mix. For example http://www.jrpass.com/images/map/map_kyoto_metro.pdf
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
300km/h is a very nice speed; the same speed as the Eurostar!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,841
Location
West of Andover
300km/h is a very nice speed; the same speed as the Eurostar!

I know.

I was standing outside Kyoto station earlier eating lunch and there was a service arriving/departing pretty much every 5 minutes. So it is very heavily used (compared to HS1/CTRL)

I think they get upto speed within 3 minutes from the get go.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Wow! That is more frequent than the Cross City line in Brum! And there was me thinking we had it good down here! But 3 minutes from 0 to 186 is amazing. How many have you traveled on while over there?
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,841
Location
West of Andover
Only the one Bullet train, but quite a few other types of services. The best sounding one has been the Subway line in Osaka which uses linear motors
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Where did you go to/from in the Bullet train? What is the subway like?
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,841
Location
West of Andover
Where did you go to/from in the Bullet train? What is the subway like?

Hiroshima to Kyoto.
I think it was set X03 (coach 16 was numbered 784-2003 and coach 14 was
786-2203) and going by the info on Wikipedia seems to suggest it was aa modified 700 series)


The various subways systems are fun, the stations are in English as well as Japanese, plus they have numbers, so using London as an example, Waterloo would be B3 on the bakerloo line (3rd stop) so you keep an eye out for the station number. Mix of full platform edge doors, half doors (chest high). A mix of modernish stock and older stock (where AC is a fan attached to the ceiling)
 
Last edited:

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Isn't that about 200 miles?

The numbering on the subway sounds like a pretty good idea.
 

Kristofferson

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2012
Messages
1,132
Japan sounds epic... Somewhere I've always wanted to visit, but can't stomach the thought of 16 hours on a plane!

Looking forward to this being continued :)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
Surely it's not a 16 hour flight! If so I wouldn't fancy it either, but I've always wanted to go to Japan.

The picture worked Lord Kite, those bullet trains look well weird!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,841
Location
West of Andover
If anybody is interested in what Japanese railway tickets looks like:


Starting from top left and working downwards:
Osaka JR
Matsue JR (a return ticket, with Nogi being the only unstaffed station which allowed me to keep the proper ticket)
Osaka Subway
Tokyo Subway
Nagoya Subway
Kyoto - Kintetsu

2nd column:
Hiroshima Astram Line
Kyoto Subway
Hiroshima JR
Tokyo Tobu [with Ginza Line Subway 'Add-on']
Nagoya Subway

3rd column:
Tokyo JR
Kyoto JR

(If anybody is interested in why some of the days have 27, it's due to the Japanese calender years starting with the emperor, so this year is currently "Akihito 27", the amounts are the cost, as Japan works on a distance based system where the further you travel the more it will cost, with additional fares for faster services, although when buying my tickets I tended to buy a proper ticket for myself and the cheapest child single to keep)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,841
Location
West of Andover
3rd October – Welcome to the Leeds Train

Shacks in the west Yorkshire area was the name of the day, mainly to do a bit of a tidy up with my last remaining EMU served shacks and with some out towards Manchester Victoria, so the day began with the usual 05:27 service towards Waterloo, formed this morning of 159022 which was happily one of my sub-500 mile units, so the extra 72 miles (and 49 chain) trip to Waterloo pushes it closer to that milestone. A right time arrival due to having to sit outside the station for 5 minutes to allow a Portsmouth bound service to clear the platform. To the Bakerloo line platforms, with set 253 & 550 providing the power to Oxford Circus before Victoria line sets 47 & 48 took me to Kings Cross St Pancras.

I had time to kill so I went up to Kings Cross to see what GN units were floating around for a Finsbury Park leap (something I haven’t done for a good few months), first out was a dud 365 to Peterborough, so I turned my attention to the next departure which wouldn’t be a 313, with 15 minutes to go before departure I spotted required 317343 sitting on P9, so after grabbing a quick bite to eat from WH Smiths, I took a seat for the 2 and a half mile trip to Finsbury Park, knowing I only had one attempt at a winner (the next service would be a 313 from Welwyn), and so I saw the sight of a 317 (at this point only needing 2), and blimey it was required 317340, so I was quite happy as I rode back to Kings Cross, and headed towards the Leeds train.

Sadly it was dud 91132 leading, but with a new DVT (82207) at the back, so not all bad news, and surprisingly it kept to time (although the 5 minute call at Doncaster probably helps). I noticed the Grand Central towards Sunderland was a 180 instead of the usual HST, but as the ECML is rather boring, and the ride on a Mk4 isn’t the best but it was a nice enough run, time for some 333 action, as I headed from P6 towards another bay to board dud 333012 for the near 13 mile trip to my first new shack of the day in the shape of Burley in Wharfedale. Couldn’t help noticing there was a revenue block from the Leeds bound platform exit, but the exit from the Ilkley bound platform was open.

Anyhow I had a brief 5 minute connection before dud 333011 rolled in to take me back one stop to Menston, over the footbridge and onto my first winning 333 of the day in the shape of 333014 to take me to Ben Rhydding, where I managed to pull off a tight connection to jump back onto 333012 back towards Guiseley. A brief wait before 333014 arrived back (with the guard remembering my ticket from before) to take me to Baildon, on the single track section. 15 minutes later dud 333004 took me back to Guiseley before winner 333003 took me to Shipley. Across the triangle to P5 before dud 333013 arrived to take me to Steeton & Silsden which isn’t the nicest of stations to get from platform to platform inside a tight connection time, but I somehow pulled off a +2 (woohoo) to jump onto dud 333002 to take me back to Bingley. Dud 333016 arrived (not really having that much luck with 333s today) to take me to my last 333 served shack of Crossflatts

Super dud 333012 rolled in again to take me back to Leeds, where I had time to kill before the next stopper towards Doncaster so it was time for some RTT planning, but sadly I couldn’t work out much of a quick plan which would get me onto that Doncaster service, so I had took 20 minutes to have some lunch, noting that the next VTEC service towards London had a required 91 on. After a Boots provided lunch, I went to the end of P6 to grab the DVT and it was a double win (although I don’t have DVTs listed on my phone so at the time I knew only that the 91 was required). DVT 82225 was leading 91128 for the short hop to Wakefield Westgate, where I had the potential of a quick hop back to Outwood if the service from Sheffield was required.

It was a dud 142, so I gave it a miss and for a wait before winner 322481 rolled in to take me to Fitzwilliam, my final shack between Doncaster & Leeds, sadly Fitzwilliam is pretty much a 30 minute wait as the units pass each other (and it isn’t the easiest to get across the platforms, think Earlswood in the West Midlands). One thing which surprised me is that there are no announcements for when a XC/VTEC comes thundering pass at high speed, and that the PIS was a bit rubbish in saying that the service was “On Time” but didn’t say what that time was meant to be (and it isn’t true as dud 142087 was held up for a late running VTEC from Doncaster).

Back to Leeds, where I met up with Starmill for a bit of bashing, first up was dud 158790 for the short run to Batley before dud 144023 took us back towards Morley. A busy 150214 was up next to Brighouse before a short wait before dud 152047 rolled in to take us to Halifax. Bit of confusion as there was delays due to signalling problems and the Manchester Victoria train disappeared from the PIS replaced with a train to Blackpool, but it soon appeared (although starting short at Bradford) with dud 158753 taking me to the edge of the West Yorkshire area at Walsden, sadly this is where things went wrong. A quick check of RTT saw a delay to a service I was hoping to catch from Sowerby Bridge to Mytholmroyd was delayed by around 15 minutes which put the connection at Mytholmroyd at risk, so we decided to ditch it for a quick shack attack at Cottingley. Dud 150119 rolled in and all was good until it was held up at Mirfield junction for a late running TPX.

Lost more time at Dewsbury so we decided it wasn’t worth the risk, with the evil looking footbridge, and a good thing to as the connection at Cottingley was cut back to under a minute (the next service rolled in just as we departed). So it was to Leeds, and that time of night there wasn’t a lot of options, so it was to Wakefield Westgate on dud 221131 to grab a VTEC HST towards Harrogate. Sadly luck was against me and it was duds 43309 & 43239 back to Leeds, where I said goodbye to Starmill who was going to ride the HST to Harrogate, and I headed over to P7 to grab the DVT first, and it was 82225, and I knew before I saw it the rear 91 would be a fresh dud, and it was 91128 again (same set as I had earlier). Nice enough run back to Kings Cross, nothing much to report from the last train, other than the train from Aberdeen which the last Leeds normally is held at Doncaster for was running 30+ minutes late, so we had a nice clear run after Peterborough (as the Aberdeen service calls at Stevenage), and into Kings Cross a good 5 minutes ahead of schedule.

Due to the rugby I decided I was going to board the last Salisbury at Waterloo, as I had a better chance of a seat so I had time to kill, so I powered up RTT to see what Great Northern movements was about and spotted required 365516 getting ready to depart in around 10 minutes, so I jumped on board for a quick hop to Finsbury Park. Next Kings Cross train was due from P4, but suddenly changed to P2 (due to that late running HST), and dud 365507 was leading required 365520 back to Kings Cross (so I actually scored more required Great Northern units (4) today than I did Northern units (3)!).

To the underground as Victoria line set 75 & 76 took me to Oxford Circus and a Bakerloo line train formed of 250 & 564 took me to Charing Cross, where after a long walk (is it quicker to stay on the Bakerloo to Embankment and walk to Charing Cross station from there?) took me to Charing Cross, where I hit a mild gap in services, nothing out for 10 minutes with the first being a 10 car hateful 376 set (I dislike 376s as much as Quinn dislikes Voyagers), wouldn’t be so bad if they had AC, or half-decent seats. Winner 376035 was at the front with dud 376031 at the rear for the short hop to Waterloo East. Heading via Sainsburys for a quick sandwich before heading towards the main station to jump onto 159015 leading 159007 on the 23:40 towards Salisbury, got slightly busy at Clapham Junction but not as busy as I was expecting (as I guess the only passengers waiting for this particular service would be for stations west of Basingstoke, with any Woking/Basingstoke passengers already departed on earlier trains).

Back to Grateley, the end of a busy day 12 new shacks was a couple less than I had hoped, but delays put an end to a couple (as I didn’t fancy tight connections), I have no idea when I will next get back to Yorkshire
 
Last edited by a moderator:

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
You did well with Great Northern units, not so much with Northern ones though.

How was Japan?
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,841
Location
West of Andover
It was amazing :) Although hopefully I will have some reports (and pictures) up at some point, but they have to wait before I can play catch-up on my OU work.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
An excellent time had in Yorkshire, shame it wasn't as many scores as you'd like but next time could well be better than you'll be expecting!
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Fitzwilliam is certainly an odd place but the shack scratch just has to be done. As ever an excellent read for what must have been a very long day out. No wonder you needed a holiday in Japan to recover.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
I suspect Lord Kite needs a UK bash to recover from all the Japanese stuff now :lol:

Always a weird feeling being on UK rails after a long foreign holiday, but strangely welcome too
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,841
Location
West of Andover
4th October – A trip down the Uckfield line

My original idea of getting the shacks down the Uckfield line was to try and hit the line during an evening peak period where services are half-hourly for some of the shacks, however when playing with RTT I saw there was trains on the line on the 4th October, I through to myself, why not have a go at clearing the shacks, one last spin with the bike, before parts of the line closes so that the platforms can be extended so that East Croydon passengers have 10 car 171s in the peaks (haven’t Southern heard of making peak-time extras fast to say Oxted to avoid the East Croydon crowd, similar to how SWT skips Woking and even Basingstoke on some peak-time services)

Anyhow, Daysave in hand (most likely my last Daysave for a while) I drove to Andover to pick up the 07:4X formed today of low mileage 159018 and high mileage 159002 for the gentle roll into Clapham Junction, where things went a bit wrong, the lines around Victoria was meant to reopen around 08:45, but there was an engineering overrun so after the first service (one to Bognor I believe) came and went an announcement came over saying that “there would be no trains to/from Victoria for at least 30 minutes”, so I headed over to P10 to jump on the first thing heading to Waterloo (thankfully I had a travel-card today as I planned to do some SWT metro shacks later), first thing was a rather busy super dud 455711 (which emptied out a bit at Vauxhall), but to Waterloo.

Down to the underground, where the first Jubilee line service was formed of sets 77 & 98 for some lovely noise (for how I love the noise of the motors on the Jubilee line stock) to London Bridge, where a short walk later found myself at the Low level side of the station, with two options to getting to East Croydon in time for the next East Croydon – Uckfield train (before they are cut back to running between Oxted & Uckfield), a 455 stopper which was a dud, or a pair of 377s heading towards Horsham, first stop Norwood Junction (so in theory I could have changed at Norwood if the 455 was required). Required 377474 was leading dud 377449 (last seen in May with Lord Techni), which I took to East Croydon.

East Croydon was in a bit of chaos, trains from Victoria were starting to run with heavy delays (30+ minutes) so were skipping stops left right and centre, but I still arrived before the train I would have caught to East Grinstead finally rolled up, which was going to be running fast to Oxted and fast to East Grinstead to try and regain some of the time lost, dud 377151 (last seen with 449 back in May) was leading required 377426 so I jumped on board for the nice fast run to Oxted (which I would imagine is quite rare for a 377). With 25 minutes to kill before the 171 would show up, I decided to head to the little Sainsburys outside the station to pick up items for lunch (to save a job for later). In theory another East Grinstead train was due before the Uckfield service, but that must have been running late and the Uckfield departed East Croydon before hand, and in rolled my 2nd last 171/7, 171727.

How unexpected to get a winner for the 23 and a half mile trip to my first new shack of the day at Buxted, down the mostly single track sleepy branch line, parts of the old double track were still in place, rusting away. The old platform at Buxted was rotting away (and yet someone asked me “is this the platform for the train to London?”) It was time for a fester to wait for 171727 to come back in to become my latest super-dud, as it rolled to Eridge, where a heritage railway towards Tunbridge West was based (although it wasn’t running today from Eridge), nice enough station. Next up was the other 171 on the Uckfield line duties today, dud 171722 (which previously only had a Brighton – Lewes leap in the book) so it was down to Crowborough, for a long fester.

40-odd minutes later, 171722 had returned to take me back to Edenbridge Town, the last diesel only shack towards Oxted, where a quick unfold of the bike later saw me back on the open road, directions to Hever station on display, down a main B-road before turning off down a country-road before another turning down a little narrow lane which I think hasn’t seen much in the way of traffic due to the state of it (many pot-holes) and high levels of vegetation. Eventually I reached the little private road which led to Hever station, a station which is worst than Doleham for being near anything, it has a little private business in the old station house, the rail replacement bus-stop is a mile and a half away on the main-road (30 minute walk according to the sign), I couldn’t see any houses nearby, but it has a TVM hidden away on the up platform. Anyhow 171722 had returned for the short trip down to Ashurst, which is one of those awkward stations where the trains pass each other.

Anyhow it was time for another ride, with an hour or so to kill to reach my last shack on the branch line, and it was so hard-going, it was a main-road, however felt like it was up-hill most of the way, so was more of a push rather than a ride. Eventually reached Cowden, another basic shack, one probably best to ride from Cowden to Ashurst. I sat down to try and get my breath back. 171727 rolled in on route to Uckfield before departing being replaced with 171722 for the 4th (and last time) of the day. To Oxted where it terminated, as I waited for the hourly service from East Grinstead, today formed of duds 377626 & 377610 for the nice trip back to Clapham Junction where I crossed over to P11 for some SWT action.

The first 455 was dud so I let it depart as I was waiting for the next service towards Dorking, formed of dud 455910 for the trip to the edge of the travelcard area at Ewell West, and it was back onto the bike for a short ride back up the line to Stoneleigh, nice little island platform. Unexpected winner 455741 rolled in to take me back up the line to Motspur Park where I had a short wait before another unexpected winning 455 popped up in the shape of 455716 working a Chessington South service. I stayed on and alighted at Chessington North before another short bike ride saw me back at Tolworth with time to spare. Fresh dud 455716 returned to take me back the mile leap back to Malden Manor and it was one final bike ride (and most likely last bike station hop of 2015) to my final shack of the day at Worcester Park.


Dud 455874 rolled in to take me back to Clapham Junction before a quick cross-over to P9 saw me onto a rather busy (due to being a Honiton/Bristol service) 159002 & 159018, the same pair as this morning, however it does mean 159018 is now cleared for 500 miles, which leaves 4 (or 5) units left below that figure. 159002 returns to the top of the distance chart. So 14 new shacks cleared, everything of the SWT metro cleared south of the main-line, and only 4 Southern shacks remaining, so overall a good day (with some money back from Southern for the hour delay reaching Buxted).

Anyhow some pictures:

171727 at Buxted


Eridge:


171722 at Crowborough


Hever... Has a footbridge (and that is about it!)


Now onto attempting to sort through my many pictures taken in Japan :)

--------

Keith - Agreed, it needed doing to clear that line.

Techni - Yep, I'm itching for a quick spin on the rails, might try and do something tomorrow evening if not on Friday (Portsmouth Direct Line is calling)
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
Good work clearing that lot out, I don't envy the bike rides though! Fingers crossed your last 171 turns up soon, although you'll have more to go and find soon enough when they finally finish the works on them!

I really need to get on with some DaySave action, I hope to do so in the spring when the weather's better but we'll see.

The job of sorting out the photos must be quite a daunting one!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top