• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
You have been busy! You still did well to rescue something from each of the trips where you picked up significant delays. Your remaining Marshlink shacks should not be too hard to get; it'll just be the effort of getting down to that part of the world again.

You logged 165001 on your little jolly down to Theale - I thought that all the 165/0s were part of the Chiltern fleet.

And it looks like a good day out in Chiltern land too. I certainly recognised some of my required shacks and units in your report so a timely reminder that I need to get back to that part of the world before too long.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,854
Location
West of Andover
I meant 165101 which was heading towards bedwyn on the 07:47ish departure from reading.

Looking at my available Sundays and going by engineering works along both coastways on RTT it probably won't be until mid November until it's a straight shot with no buses involved
 

Kristofferson

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2012
Messages
1,132
You're the most prolific basher here for sure, Kite!

The northern trip looked like one hell of a long day, and the railtour sounds like a good time. Shame about the Daysave issues - that's the railway for you!

Always a good read :)
 

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2012
Messages
2,131
Location
Rochdale
You're the most prolific basher here for sure, Kite!

The northern trip looked like one hell of a long day, and the railtour sounds like a good time. Shame about the Daysave issues - that's the railway for you!

Always a good read :)

I concur. Although if "Lord Quest of Hereford" lived somewhere less remote than the back of beyond in the Baskerville Badlands, he'd give you a run for your money!

I didn't realise that Pevensey Bay was a limited service shack - its one I've actually visited (campsite between there and Normans Bay in 2004). A lot of the others are unfamiliar to me, whilst Seer, Green and Jordans sounds like an accountancy firm!

Finally, I think there's a missing digit involved in your Angmering to Preston Park leap - although 37714 producing on the coastway would be rather outrageous!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
D841 Roebuck:2277848 said:
I concur. Although if "Lord Quest of Hereford" lived somewhere less remote than the back of beyond in the Baskerville Badlands, he'd give you a run for your money!

Comment of the month, I burst out laughing and still giggling while I type this!

Aye if I lived somewhere better than Nowhere Heath I'd be in a much better position of strength and show up Mr Kite! Finances don't help either to be fair, although if I have my way that will be changing by 2016. Certainly a lot of big plans await...

Baskerville Badlands must be a reference to something I'm not familiar with, although I still found it hilarious!

Seer, Green and Jordans sounds like an accountancy firm!

It does, you're not wrong :lol:

37714 producing on the coastway would be rather outrageous!

Outrageous isn't the word, move of the year that would be! Would sure turn some heads on the platforms...
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,854
Location
West of Andover
I concur. Although if "Lord Quest of Hereford" lived somewhere less remote than the back of beyond in the Baskerville Badlands, he'd give you a run for your money!

I didn't realise that Pevensey Bay was a limited service shack - its one I've actually visited (campsite between there and Normans Bay in 2004). A lot of the others are unfamiliar to me, whilst Seer, Green and Jordans sounds like an accountancy firm!

Finally, I think there's a missing digit involved in your Angmering to Preston Park leap - although 37714 producing on the coastway would be rather outrageous!

Sadly it wasn't a 37, was 377144.

Seer, Green & Jordans Sounds more like a law firm to me.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,854
Location
West of Andover
28th August – This is the Southern service to…

Another Southern Daysave was the plan for today, with a mild aim of clearing the shacks between Ford & the boundary of zone 6, all the little shacks served mainly by the Horsham & Bognor stoppers. Like last week I had a nice little drive to Romsey to find the station car-park rather empty, which is always a bonus, and onto the platform to buy my return ticket to Southampton, noticing that the TVM prints out in the new format. Under the subway and to relax for 10 minutes before my lowest miles FGW 158 rolled up in the shape of 158798, previously had twice on similar runs between Romsey & Southampton (so this will clear it for 24 miles!)

Into Southampton, where I had to exit the station to pick up my Daysave from the TVM, where I noticed a required 377 on the service to Victoria so it was a bit of a rush to pick up the ticket and back onto the platform to jump onto winner 377441 for the run to Barnham, keeping an eye out in case 313202 would show its lovely face, also keeping an eye out on what service would form the Southampton – Brighton, which was a dud /1. I found a little Co-Op outside Barnham station where I had a 15 minute fester between services, before the next service from Bognor rolled up, and it was another winning 377/4, this time 377473, although this is where my luck with required units came to a sudden end. Nice slow ride up the Arun Valley to my first new shack of the day at Billingshurst, nice enough station with a little Tesco outside which I noticed, but I didn’t have longish to wait before dud 377114 rolled up to take me back down south to Pulborough.

The first of a few tight connections, being a plus 5 before dud 377404 rolled in to take me back towards Horsham, and to the hourly served shack at Christ’s Hospital, where is where one of my tightest connections with a plus 2, made it to the other platform in time to see the Bognor bound service being 10 minutes late so there was no need to rush (did seem odd not to see the front unit rushing pass on route to Havant). At least the delay here meant my 20 minute fester at the other hourly shack on this part of the line would be reduced.

Dud 377457 eventually rolled up to take me to Amerbley which has a nice footbridge, but not a lot else, but I was happy I had cleared 4 of the 5 shacks along the Arun valley line, leaving just Arundel to do which should be easy enough to score. 377114 returned from Bognor to take me to Horsham where in the 10 minute wait before the unit from Havant-direction (think it would have been from Southampton), formed of dud 377131 rolled into the back of 114, to take me to Crawley. A brief rest at the station with an ugly office-block overlooking the platforms before dud 377468 rolled in to take me the 1 mile 17 chain leap to Ifield, where the connection was a rather hard +1, but somehow I made the dash down the ramp, up and over the bridge and to the other side, as duds 377445 & 377125 rolled in, front 5 coaches only at Ifield, so onto 125 to catch my breath back from the leap.

To Merstham with a good near 14 mile run, to cross over to the other platform (noting that it’s a station you need to exit the ticket barriers to get to the footbridge and re-enter the barriers to get to the other platform), nice enough hearing the non-stop services roaring pass on the Redhill avoider line as the Reigate bound service was running a few minutes late and was dud 377201 to take me towards Redhill, where it crossed over to the North Downs Line to take me to Reigate, where the 3rd rail comes to a sudden end at the level crossing. 10 minute wait before the same unit took me back towards Redhill and into the London zones to clear Coulsdon South, just for the sake of clearing it.

Another tight connection, and another barriers to exit and barriers to re-enter bridge, but it was easy to do, as I boarded 377407 & 377148 on a Horsham bound service, which is the first of the evening services which calls at a certain station, down pass Gatwick, pass Crawley where I alighted at Faygate, quite a basic shack, I was the only person alighting, but once crossed over the road bridge and down the road next to the little industrial park to get to the other platform (not one to do in a rush), there was another couple passengers, looked like another station basher and a ‘normal’. However this is where things went wrong, the service was late departing Horsham (awaiting a member of train crew), and was my first trio of the day (377457, 377162 & 377128) where I had hoped to catch to Earlswood for a quick linear bash (clearing Salfords & Horley), only to be took on approach to Gatwick that as the train was running late, it would be running fast to Redhill & East Croydon, so anybody wanting intermediate stations had to alight and wait for the next stopper.

So I alighted at Gatwick, and with RTT in hand to work out a new plan, I could catch the next stopper and ditch the Earlswood call, and still get my remaining 4 wanted shacks to finish at a decent time. 25 or so minutes later (probably could have walked to Horley in that time!) 377457, 377125 & 377102 rolled in to take me to Salfords, a quick connection saw me onto Three Bridges bound dud 377139 (I believe this unit originally was a trio which splits at Redhill, with the middle unit going to Tonbridge and the rear unit to Reigate) for the short leap to Horley. Crossing over to the fast lines platforms, and I was rewarded with another trio of duds (come on Southern unit generator, give me a winner), this time 377419, 377432 & 377410 to take me non-stop to Three Bridges.

Next up was a trio heading towards Southampton & Bognor, running a couple minutes late, with 377441 leading, 377469 in the middle and winner (woohoo!) 377470 at the rear to take me to Littlehaven. A level crossing shack where a lot of passengers alighted, nothing much around the station (suburb of Horsham I assume), but pretty soon another trio of units rolled in bound for Bognor, with the PIS going overboard with “Front 7 for station x, front 6 for station Y, front 8 for station Z”, as 377122, 377423 & 377424 rolled in, and in all fairness the only times it opened all 12 carriages worth of doors (the rear set overhangs the level crossing at Littlehaven) was at Horsham and at Arundel, where I alighted for a mild wait before duds 377473 & 377404 took me to Ford, where I have options to getting back to Barnham. A dud 313 bound for Bognor was up first, followed by a dud 313 to Littlehampton, so my last hope was a 313 towards Portsmouth, and it was dud 313217.

Sitting in the motor coach for some motor noises, calling at Barnham, Chichester and running fast to Havant, so some good speed 313 action, giving me a couple options for a quick double back to catch the Southampton service, and sadly both were duds (a dud 377 towards Brighton, and a 313 towards Littlehampton), the service towards Southampton was running a few minutes late and hence lost its path at Havant junction for a trio of 450s bound for Portsmouth, and lost its path at Cosham junction as the FGW 158 I was hoping to catch from Southampton was put out in front… Bugger, my 30 minutes advantage from my original plan was lost. I had a couple options, either stay on dud 377153 all the way to Southampton, or bail at Fareham to see what unit I would have caught (from Brighton). I decided enough was enough for the day and stayed on until Southampton.

A quick visit to the little Co-Op outside the station scored me some dinner, and back onto the island platform, thankfully the service from Brighton was also a dud 377, so I waited until my SWT 158 with the most miles came around the corner (158887) to take me back to Romsey, the end of a mostly successful day, with the line between Ford & Three Bridges cleared (including my last limited service shack), and the BML is mostly cleared apart from Earlswood [which can be done on a Sunday]

Some pictures:

The former junction station at Christ’s Hospital
21090894225_86d49b4560_z.jpg
[/url]

377115 rushing pass on route to Victoria:


A nice and sunny Reigate


End of the line for 377s:


Faygate*:
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Crikey you really didn't have any luck with winners did you? I see you had 377470 which was also a score for me yesterday!

As always a grand read, well done on all those shack scores!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,854
Location
West of Andover
I think for my remaining Southern shacks (Oxted Line & Tonbridge Line mainly) I will go from Andover to Clapham, will cost extra compared to going from Romsey to Southampton, but cuts out the long dragged out trip along the west coastway, especially on a Sunday where they tend to stop everywhere
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Well done on grabbing another fistful of winning shacks. You'll have Southern cleared in no time.

Shame about the low score rate on winners but "that's bashing" for you. You mention 313202; that's the only Southern electric unit that I need for ten miles. You'll definitely get it before me as I have no plans to go anywhere near Southern in the near future.
 

James Wake

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2013
Messages
962
28th August – This is the Southern service to…

Crossing over to the fast lines platforms, and I was rewarded with another trio of duds (come on Southern unit generator, give me a winner), this time 377419, 377432 & 377410 to take me non-stop to Three Bridges.

Next up was a trio heading towards Southampton & Bognor, running a couple minutes late, with 377441 leading, 377469 in the middle and winner (woohoo!) 377470 at the rear to take me to Littlehaven. A level crossing shack where a lot of passengers alighted, nothing much around the station (suburb of Horsham I assume), but pretty soon another trio of units rolled in bound for Bognor, with the PIS going overboard with “Front 7 for station x, front 6 for station Y, front 8 for station Z”, as 377122, 377423 & 377424 rolled in, and in all fairness the only times it opened all 12 carriages worth of doors (the rear set overhangs the level crossing at Littlehaven) was at Horsham and at Arundel

Well done on doing some of my local stations I know, Crawley being one I use most days. I think you must have caught the 1722 ex LBG to Eastbourne between Horley and Three Bridges, the 1734 ex Victoria between Crawley and Littlehaven (I was on that train until Crawley, in leading coach of 441), then the 1750 ex LBG 12 car to Bognor as far as Arundel?
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,854
Location
West of Andover
Well done on doing some of my local stations I know, Crawley being one I use most days. I think you must have caught the 1722 ex LBG to Eastbourne between Horley and Three Bridges, the 1734 ex Victoria between Crawley and Littlehaven (I was on that train until Crawley, in leading coach of 441), then the 1750 ex LBG 12 car to Bognor as far as Arundel?

Sounds about right, the 12 cars was heading to Eastbourne and would be around the same times.


----

I must say I'm enjoying the free WiFi provided on the super luxurious 150002 :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
29th August – A West Midlands Daytripper Add-on cycling adventure

It was a very early start for me (out of the door at 4:45) to drive to Basingstoke to link up with the 5:40 XC towards Manchester, reason for the early start was a positioning move to put my car at Basingstoke for Monday night, and to give me a chance to get into the West Midlands area to purchase both the Daytripper ticket and the add-on ticket giving me access to Stratford-Upon-The-Avon, Kidderminster & Lichfield City, a ticket which is quite hard to try and purchase outside the area, so I could do the 8:30 Leamington Spa to Stratford ‘stopper’.

After a bit of hassle with the car-park machine refusing to admit that Monday was a bank holiday and charging me the regular daily rate (slight annoyance), I was onto Basingstoke to await the 5:40. Formed this morning of dud 220016 (last seen in May 14 from Bristol to Exeter), I took my reserved seat at a table for the 67 and a half mile trip to Banbury, after a long reversal at Reading. The other seats around the table were “reserved from Oxford” and a “reserved from Leamington”, so at Oxford someone boarded seeing the empty seats decided to just sit in the “reserved from oxford” seats without checking the screens and got a bit defensive when the passengers for those seats asked him to move. Anyhow at Banbury I didn’t have long to wait before dud 168111 (absent since March last year when used on a Moor Street – Marylebone run, a day which saw me bagging my first 139) for the nice 36 mile (and 9 chain) trip to Solihull, where I made my way down the stairs to purchase my tickets.

No issues, and with a smile I headed back up stairs to await the 07:12 Kidderminster to London Marylebone service, with had Business Class available, which might gives you a clue at what would be coming, and sure enough DVT 82309 rolled in with a nice shiny 68014 on the rear, my first 68 for haulage at last, boarding into the “quiet” coach (wouldn’t it be better to put the quiet coach at the DVT end away from the loco?) to have some 68 roar down to Leamington Spa, a very loud beast, mission one complete of the day, and now onto the shacks. Over to P4 (does anything ever use P1 at Leamington, in fact does it still exist?) and onto low mileage dud (previously had on a Wibbly Stadium to Marylebone hop) 168219 on the Stratford stopper, my bike was in hand as I got ready to alight at the single platform at Bearley, which bearely had anything around, no bears which was disappointing. Anyhow I had around 35 minutes to ride the 4 miles back along the line. I was the only passenger on board the front car, and the guard looked shocked when I got off at Bearley.

Nice enough country roads, a couple hills resulting in a push, nothing much around, and I arrived at Claverdon with a good 10 minutes to spare. I best not miss this train as the next one wouldn’t be for another 140-odd minutes, the two London Midland managed shacks but served mainly by Chiltern, good to get them cleared as I awaited the return of 168219, now slightly more busier than the previous trip, guard gave me a little nod as I boarded (along with someone else) to take the service to Warwick, after a 5 minute break at Hatton waiting for the junction to clear. Under the subway and to the other platform with a short wait before dud 168106 rolled in to take me to Warwick Parkway, my last Chiltern managed shack on the main-line (leaving just Islip, Bicester Town/Village & Oxford Parkway for when they reopen) so happy days for me.

Cat time again, this time with dud DVT 82303 leading with winner 68011 on the rear for the nice speedy run down to Leamington Spa, where I had the option of a quick linear bash on the 165 on the stopper duties to Warwick, but that was a dud 165 so I allowed that to go. Across to P2 to await the “fast” Stratford-upon-Avon service, calling only at Warwick before running fast to Stratford Parkway. This was in the hands of dud 168107 as I departed Chiltern land to alight at Stratford-Upon-Avon Parkway, bike unfolded and ready for another ride, this time a nice canal ride to Wilmcote (around 2 miles, although Google maps seems to ignore a short-cut to get to the canal).

A brief moment to relax and sort myself out, ready for my first London Midland request stop as winner (and 2nd last 172/3) 172341 rolled in, after a few minutes the guard appeared where I requested my stop, without knowing it was a local-door only shack, as I got into the rear coach, so it was a case of carrying the bike through the train to get to the front coach to alight at The Lakes, which has many lakes and tiny platforms, big enough probably for a single 153, this was my tightest connection of the day at 5 minutes (considering I needed to be on the other platform to request the next train to stop), but the Platform to Platform interchange at The Lakes is quite easy, up a ramp to a road, across a bridge and down another ramp.

Dud 172345 rolled in as I requested it to stop, and I took it back down south to Henley-in-Arden the only non-request stop along this part of the line, my bike was unfolded as I headed out to ride, firstly going the wrong way out of the station, and getting pulled to one side when I saw a Co-Op to pick up a spot of lunch, but I made it to Wootton Wawen with time to spare, time for a spot of lunch before 172345 rolled back in to take me to Wood End.

Wood End must get a vote for the most disable unfriendly stations in the country, it is in a deep cutting with steep steps attached to the side of the cutting with a long walk along an uneven path back to the road. I must admit I jumped onto my bike and rode back to the road and over the tunnel when I saw the signpost to the other platform along that uneven path back to the other side of the cutting, anyhow I made it (not one if you are a slow walker) to jump onto dud 172344 to take me one shack down the line (guard stayed in the back cab so thankfully it stopped) at Danzey. It was time for another bike ride, my longest of the day at 4.3 miles, via the very posh Tamworth-in-Arden (going by the cars on the side of the road and in driveways) to my final shack down the Stratford line at Earlswood (West Midlands) (so I made it to at least 1 Earlswood!).

Earlswood is an awkward shack to do normally as it is the cross-over point (you have something like a minute connection), however to get from one platform to the other is a long winded route which takes at least 1 minute, so unless you get lucky and the Northbound service is running late, you will have an hour to fester at a station which has nothing around [apart from a garden centre which does excellent coffee according to Techi]. I must admit I just sat down on the raised plastic part of the platform, the seats in the little waiting shelter didn’t look nice. Anyhow 15 or so minutes later 172344 returned to take me all the way to its journey’s end at Stourbridge Junction, where I confirmed that 139002 was out and about (with thanks to postye for the gem), but it would have to wait as I crossed over platforms to jump onto 172334 for the short leap to Hagley.

I saw a trio of 172/2s rushing pass out of service (caught up in the Worcester disputation I would imagine), before dud 172217 took me to Kidderminster, it was a brief wait before 172334 rolled back in, departing late due to a lookalike for one of the cartoon people on the old “contactless” payment posters on the underground boarding, which cut my connection at Blakedown down to 5 minutes, knowing it was a level crossing shack, but thankfully I made it with time to spare to board 172220 back to Kidderminster. Keeping my eye out for any sightings of 172219 or 172343 my last 2 LM 172s, as I spotted the next movement towards Worcester... it was 172343. I jumped back onto 172220 as it pulled in to take me back to Stourbridge Junction, a quick RTT saw 343 would be coming back in 30-odd minutes, so plan change time, but first to Stourbridge Town on 139002 to clear the class. Back to Stourbridge Junction as I looked at RTT for any likely connections I could do some leaps on if 219 showed up, but most of the units were single 3-car sets. 172343 rolled in, to clear my 172/3s as I took it to Birmingham Moor Street. A quick unfold of the bike to try and cross over to New Street, the road part was easy, what was hard was the path from the road to the entrance of New Street as it was busy.

To the cross-city platforms, my aim was to clear Shenstone & Lichfield City as the rest of the shacks are within the standard Daytripper area, but as the next service was a Four Oaks terminator it gave me a chance to do a couple extra shacks, dud 323213 rolled in to take me the 10 miles (and 10 chains) to Butlers Lane where a quick interchange saw me onto dud 323205 down south to Sutton Coldfield and onto winner 323204 heading to Lichfield Trent Valley to Shenstone. Easy to make the connection to a southbound service formed of dud 323221 which I took to Blake Street where a very fine connection was made to a late running dud 323240 to take me to the end of its journey at Lichfield City. Making that tight unplanned connection put me 30 minutes up, so I decided to call it a night with only Four Oaks & Wylde Green left to score on the northern end of the cross-city line.

After grabbing a spot of food from the little Boots at New Street, I headed towards the Reading bound XC service, formed this evening of winner 220025 which I took to Leamington Spa, as it heads there via Warwick it is technically covered by the Daytripper & add-on ticket and as expected arrived a good 4 minutes early, which allowed me to hop across to platform 2 for a quick hop, due to some rugby league happening at Wembley services were busier, and I was sadden it was only a single 168, but I saw a Turbo style front, and winner 168003, happy days for me as I took it for a short leap to Warwick, going underneath the subway and to the other platform and scored winner 165039 coming back from Stratford to terminate at Leamington. Only 1 more 3-car 165/0 left to try and locate (7 more 2-cars though). A brief moment of time elapsed before dud 168112 rolled in to take me to Banbury, with 220023 following close behind to take me to Basingstoke, arriving with time to spare to make the connection onto the 22:13 departure towards Salisbury, formed tonight of 159008, back to Grateley with a short ride home.

Needless to say I soon headed to bed after a quick wash-down as I was knackered after a busy day, with 20 new shacks scored, anyhow some pictures:
Cat 68014 at Leamington Spa


Claverdon...not really a lot there


The 9:31 approaches:


Cat 68011 departing Leamington Spa


Rule 1 of station names – be clear to what is there:


If not in a village or other settlement, such as Wootton Wawen


I wouldn’t like to do the Wood End staircases in the dark


Earlswood done in the West Midlands, Surrey still needs doing *grumbles at Southern*


172334 & 172213 passing at Hagley


Don’t I have a season ticket for this station (I will use it one day) ;)?
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
One helluva productive time on my patch! Well done on clearing the 172/3s, fingers crossed on 172219 next time. Maybe I shouldn't mention what was stabled at Worcester Super Mare on Sunday...;)

Jealous of the 68 haulage, although as you'll see when my trip report goes up later I finally sorted that out...

I can't help wonder what you'll do when you clear the LM and Chiltern fleet and shacks, which it seems won't be far off now!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,854
Location
West of Andover
30th August – A Day on the Southern in London

My first proper London Sunday for a good few months, with the aim today of clearing some of the Southern shacks within the zones before meeting up with Lord Techi for a spot of unplanned bashing, due to being a bit tired from the night before I sort of overslept and decided it wasn’t worth the crazy rushing around to try and catch the first service from Grateley on a Sunday (7:38) so decided to watch a bit of the Last Leg and head out to catch the 8:38, from Yeovil Junction so it was a bit more busier than my usual Sunday morning service (the 7:02 from Andover). Formed this morning of 159009 & 159006, I took the pair all the way into Waterloo, although it does sit at Clapham for around 10 minutes on a Sunday morning (arrived a bit early) due to the slack in the timetable when the SWML runs as 2-track.

Before I got onto the Southern network, I had a spot of unfinished business with the northern end of the Thameslink network, mainly Radlett, so after thinking of ways to reach the Thameslink core (Jubilee to West Hampstead would be the easiest), I jumped onto a Northern line set, formed of units 505 & 504 for the 34 chain leap to Embankment (first time I believe I’ve used the Northern line platforms at Embankment), before heading to the SSL platforms with a circle line service 2 minutes away... 5 minutes later it was 1 minute away, and finally arrived with S stock 329 & 330 for the trip to Blackfriars. Up the stairs and I was in luck a Bedford bound service was in the platform, however it was a dud solo 319 (319450 I think) which when I boarded I jumped straight off as there was sick everywhere in that coach, absolutely horrible. 10 or so minutes later dud 319449 rolled in on a St Albans terminator, which got some good miles as I took a seat and headed north, out of the zones to Radlett, which is where problems started, there was no southbound stoppers, one service was cancelled and the next service was delayed. However the ‘fasts’ to Three Bridges were still running (so how hard can it be for Thameslink to work out that maybe it might be worth putting some special stop orders onto one of the Three Bridges terminators to replace the cancelled stopper?). 35 minutes later, with the platform quite rammed 319449 rolled back in, and as it was on a Sutton loop service I decided to jump into the First Class area to grab a seat, as it got quite busy running down the line, but finally the northern end of the Thameslink was done.

I stayed on 319449 all the way down, passing Elephant & Castle and alighting at Loughborough Junction, where I had a 15 minute break before the next Sutton bound service (via Mitcham), and with spotting a little Tesco, I headed down from the viaduct and grabbed some lunch, before heading back to the island platform to await the next service. I was surprised when duds 377516 & 377514 rolled up, although on taking a seat in the declassified first class section I wasn’t happy as it looked like I left my plug for my charger at home (having used it overnight to charge my tablet up), so no chance of a quick charge of my phone. Boo, anyhow a few minutes later the pair of 377s arrived at Hackbridge. Over the footbridge to await dud 377610 back up north to Mitcham Eastfields, noting that the 377/6 stopped right at the end of the platform (and watching as 319449 returned from the loop to stop at the level-crossing end of the platform). Duds 319433 & 319439 took me forward to Sutton, where I had a few minute break before dud (i had no luck with required units this afternoon) 377624 took me the 69 chain leap to Cheam. Under the subway and to the other platform and onto another dud, this time 455843 heading back to Sutton. So that is 4 of the 5 lines heading out of Sutton done, now to do the 5th line.

Bit of a short wait before 455832 rolled in to take me to Carshalton Beeches with a brief wait before 455846 was next up to take me to Waddon. 455814 rolled in to take me back towards Sutton to clear out Wallington to complete the trio, 455807 was next up to take me to West Croydon, where I had a 15 minute break before 455814 returned on a Victoria bound service to take me to Streatham Common. A brief wait before 455845 rolled in to take me to East Dulwich, going out underneath the road and up to the other platform to wait before 455808 rolled in to take me to Gipsy Hill, bit of a tight connection here, but not as tight as the next station with 455817 rolling in on time to take me to North Dulwich with a +1, but thankfully easy to do with a footbridge to jump back onto 455845 to take me to West Norwood. I believe that is now all Southern shacks cleared north of South Croydon apart from Birkbeck, all other my remaining Southern shacks within the zones are in zone 6, so a job for another day. Time was ticking so I decided to walk back to Tulse Hill, which was a very good call (even though it nearly ended up badly with my mapping software sending me up the wrong street) as the Thameslink service I would have caught was delayed and would have missed the connection at Herne Hill. Anyhow dud 319381 took me forward to Loughborough Junction, before 319437 & 319215 took me to Herne Hill, a very annoying pair of 319s as my last 2 units with Thameslink are 436 & 214.

Across to the South Eastern platform to jump onto the next Victoria bound service, formed of winner (oh my god, my first main-line winner of the day!) 465024 with dud 465163 on the rear for the 62 chain leap to Brixton. Eventually I located the entrance to the underground station (as it isn’t signposted from the national rail station) and the next Victoria line set was in the hands of 39 & 40 to take me to Victoria where I met up with my good friend, Techniquest. As he was limited to zones 1+2 we were more limited to movements, but first up was a South Eastern service running fast to Lewisham (as I wanted to clear St Johns if I could), dud 465196 was leading with winner 465182 on the rear. Alighting at the maze known as Lewisham and eventually locating the right platform for a New Cross bound service, with winner 465159 leading dud 465018 for the short 37 chain leap to St Johns, just to clear it. Next service was only a minute or so later and with dud 465043 leading winner 465021 took us back to Lewisham. 4 new 465s inside 30-odd minutes, quite a good score I would say. Down to the DLR, with my first trip on the system in over a year (blimey has it really been that long) with winning sets 126, 109 & 108 taking us to Limehouse (highlighted as it was the first time alighting from a DLR unit at Limehouse). Crossing over to the C2C platforms with the next Fenchurch Street bound service a few minutes away and sadly (for me, winner for Techni) duds 357045 & 357206 rolled in. Annoyingly I spotted the next departure which was leaving as we arrived was a double winner, but C2C can wait until the new timetable to do a spot of 357 hunting.

Eventually we found the entrance to Tower Hill and headed to the underground, next service was a District line D-stock service towards Barking way, with circle line 461 & 462 rolling in next to take us around to Liverpool Street. To the upper level, towards P1 & P2 to have a look at the Orange 315s, we were heading towards the next departure which was a winner for Techni, but when I saw the unit on the next departure was one of my last 2 LO 315s, I bailed, with a quick text to say meet you at Bethnal, as I scored 315812 for the short trip to Bethnal, as Techni jumped on board as he required 812 as well, so to the next stop at Hackney Downs. Dud (for me) 315811 took us back to Bethnal Green where we exited the station after noting nothing of interest on the next movements.

A nice walk took us to Bethnal Green underground station, as Techni had some unfinished business with the western end, with East Acton. A central line service formed of units 267, 110, 202 & 337 took us to Holland Park which was a required shack for me (as that service terminated at North Acton), the other platform was quite loud with carnival goers, but soon enough 103, 058, 012 & 335 rolled in to take us to East Acton, where it was raining. To the other platform with 021, 460, 008 & 159 taking us back to Shepherd’s Bush, where we transferred to the LO station, Techni thinking it would take longer to reach then it actually did, and with 5 minutes before the next 378 was due, we relaxed. Winner (and 2nd last) 378211 rolled in to take us to Imperial Wharf which is a required shack for Techni, and with 15 minutes to kill we exited the station, only to find the little Tesco Express closed. I had to be manually allowed back into the station, although the ticket office person didn’t look at my ticket, and we took 378220 to Clapham. Next Waterloo bound service was from P3, which was quite handy, and my god another winner for me, with 450078 & dud 450105 for a short Vauxhall leap. 8 x 450s left to try and locate so another unit ticked off. Sadly there was nothing of interest at Vauxhall for either of us, so we jumped onto dud 455858 for the ride to Waterloo.

I went to grab some dinner, and met back up on the concourse to have some food, after we finished and was thinking of moving, I heard the announcements with “passengers for station X should join the front 7 coaches”, which could only mean one thing, a double 458/5 (seeing as they are the only units with selective door opening) and we were in luck, dud 458504 was leading winner 458505 for a short Vauxhall leap, where we fell onto a Victoria line service (sets 92 & 91), where Techni bailed at Kings Crosss, I stayed on until the end of the line at Walthamstow Central, where I had a room (booked under Blind Traveller) at the Travelodge. After having a look at what LO units were floating around (just in case 808 or one of my last 2 LO 317/8s showed up), but neither was needed, so I went to check in and went up to the room. Location is excellent as it overlooks the platforms; however it is the standard rock-hard Travelodge style bed, I had spotted a little Tesco Express over the road and borrowed a plug from Techni to charge my phone up as I headed for a moderate sleep night, ready for the tour in the morning.

A successful day, 20 new shacks covered, anyhow some pictures:

A pair of 377/5s at Hackbridge on a Sunday??? (is that normal Keith?)

The wide platforms at Cheam


31st August – The Byways of Yorkshire Railtour

Nice little easy day for me, with a railtour over some forgotten tracks in the Yorkshire area, a chance to cover some uncovered red lines in my atlas and a good day with Techni. After awaiting from the hotel in Walthamstow, I headed to the station as I was running a bit later than expected, to see what unit would form the 06:3x towards Liverpool Street, thankfully it was a dud 317, so I headed towards the little Tesco for a supply raid and to the underground with Victoria line sets 73 & 74 taking me the 7 mile trip to Kings Cross St Pancras, where it was a tad wet.

Winner 66200 was up front with 66168 bringing up the rear, so happy days with two new 66s into the book, as I took a seat in the rearmost carriage and met up with Techni to relax and departed pretty much on time for a slow run north along the east coast main-line, picking up at Potters Bar, Stevenage and finally Peterborough, before bearing left onto the boring Oakham line, whose sole interesting feature is seeing a part of Rutland water. Bearing right at Syston junction and onto the MML to race north flying pass Loughborough & other local shacks before taking the high level bridge to enter Toton, with a brief pause to change crew, the journey continued northwards as it rejoined the passenger network before branching off at Pye Bridge Junction to score my first new track of the day with the line towards Kirkby In Ashfield and via Mansfield before taking a right after Shirebrook (isn’t that where the world’s most expensive Sports Direct is based?) and onto the former Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast railway route, heading eastwards.

Scenery in this area is countryside, and lots of it, former branch lines towards long closed collieries, with track either missing or overgrown, into the sidings before a reversal with 66168 getting its first miles under today’s trip and into the single track leading to the closed Thoresby Colliery, strange thinking that once the clear-up is complete, there will be no more need for this little track so this could possibly be the last charter train. 10 or so minutes later we had reversed and back onto the siding, further on the line is the RIDC Nework Rail test track, which will most likely take over the entire line back to Shirebrook as there won’t be much else on the line. One further reversal took us back towards the passenger line, completing the Shirebrook triangle and heading north on the Robin Hood line, before branching left at the end (where the regular traffic to Worksop bears right), we had a brief pause here (where I will admit, I fell asleep) before heading towards Sheffield and down into the station. Not knowing if we would be berthed into a platform or had to reverse in a central road, but we arrived onto P6, time for a bit of fresh air and a walk.

We were soon hurried back onboard for the trip back up towards Nunnery Main Line junction, and onto the track which runs alongside the tram network, where I scored the missing link of the Tinsley triangle, previously ran down into Tinsley sidings and back out again, so that was good. Back onto passenger lines for only a short while passing Rotherham Central before taking the Swinton avoider to rejoin at Mexborough. Next new track for me was with the Doncaster avoider line between Hexthrope junction and Bentley junction, which flies over the top of the ECML and rejoins the line towards Hatfield & Stainforth, where we went into the siding at the rear of the platform for one more reverse to take us back towards Doncaster, but bearing onto another freight only line (which eventually will reach Adwick area), to take the new Doncaster North Chord to join the line towards Knottingley junctions. Over the line and onto the Dearne Valley line, passing Ferrybridge power station, passing a point where I want to forget (due to spending 2 and a bit hours stuck on a 142 last year with failed points) and out to York, arriving a few minutes early.

Time for food, and to have a good walk, with Techni locating a little Sainsburys and KFC down “takeaway row”, grabbing some food for later from Sainsburys and food for now from KFC, before we headed back towards the station, going around in a circle, passing many pubs and nightclubs. York is an interesting city, but soon enough we were back onto the station, after a PNB we were back onto the train. We were heading forward but sadly right at the rear (and with no more reversals planned meaning we would probably walk forward nearer Kings Cross to reduce the platform walk). Setting off repeating the journey, passing the limited service shack of Ulleskelf, Church Fenton & Sherburn-in-Elmet (which I must get out of some trip planning mode as I’m getting ideas at how to clear them) before heading towards Ferry Bridge and back down via the rear of Knottingley and back out towards Doncaster, running a bit late, but with a 10 minute pathing slot before being allowed back onto the ECML and down towards Doncaster, heading into the yard area to the side of the station to change drivers, before heading along the various lines before joining the South Yorkshire Joint Line at Decoy South junction.

A bit of a long slow line be the South Yorkshire Joint Line, not a lot really to look at outside the window, a bit like the Middlewich line. Eventually we arrived back onto the Sheffield – Cleethorpes line passing Shireoaks & Worksop to join the ECML via the Whisker Hill curve at Retford (some new track for me, although I will need to return to try and get the track down the other way as it involves a flyover). A pathing stop at Retford and we were on our way heading back towards London, with light falling and with a nice peaceful trip (after Peterborough once a lot of passengers alighted). We moved forward after Potters Bar towards the first class area, just to reduce the walk. Arrival at Kings Cross was around 3 minutes down, which isn’t that bad all things considered, so it was down to the Victoria line with sets 13 & 14 taking us to Victoria, where we were going to jump on the first thing towards East Croydon for Techni, Clapham for me. The first service was heading to East Grinstead and was formed of double winners 377619 & 377609 for the short run to Clapham, where I said goodbye to my good friend Techni as he sped off to the night. I had a 10 minute fester, made easier with the arrival of a Colas 37 coming via platform 8 with some network rail yellow Mk3s behind, the driver opening up the noise in the platform (lovely noise).

Due to Winchester area being closed, the trains for Southampton & beyond where diverting via Guildford, with connections at Woking for a shuttle to Basingstoke, which saves a trip on a stopper (as even the last Salisbury service turned into a semi-fast between Woking & Basingstoke, calling at Farnborough & Fleet, replacing the 23:3X Southampton service I would imagine. Anyhow 444004 & 444001 rolled in, so taking a nice seat, firing up the wi-fi to check some emails and news, and arrived at Woking. Was going to be P1, but changed to P2 with dud 450073 rolling back out towards Basingstoke, where we arrived onto P3. A quick walk to the car and with a short drive home, only coming to a stop at the traffic lights over the bridge with the Ludgershall MOD branch, one day I will do a Basingstoke – Grateley drive (via Whitchurch as it’s more fun) without having to stop.

Anyhow a very good day, some good miles covered, some new track covered, and with some random pictures taken:
66200 at a wet Kings Cross

66168 (plus DVT 82202) at Kings Cross

Here be some random sidings:



-----

4th September – A Friday trip to the Cotswolds

Just a short mini report, 159002 took me to Basingstoke, where I managed to fill out a form to try and claim my overcharge for parking back, with XC 221127 taking me to Reading, where I transferred (via Boots for some food) to P9 to board a busy 180102, where I somehow managed to get a table seat (although the lady I sat next to wasn’t the best pleased she had to shift her bag), which I took for the long haul via Oxford, and onto the Cotswolds line to score Evesham. 40 or so minutes later 180103 on the Didcot – Malvern “all shacks” service (4 times in seeing that service and all 4 times it’s been 103!) to take me to my final FGW shack along that line at Pershore.

15 minutes later 180102 arrived back from Worcester to get an extra 76 miles, 72 chains under its wheels back to Reading, with a brief break before boarding the lovely 150002 to head back to Basingstoke, with 159017 & 159104 doing the honours to take me back to Grateley. A short and sweet day to clear two slightly annoying out of the way shacks of the FGW empire.
180106 (I think) departing Evesham with 180102 by the side:


“Hello, I’m back” with 180102 back at Pershore


Nothing really to do with this trip report, but gives you an idea what happened on the 5th
 
Last edited:

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
A pair of 377/5s at Hackbridge on a Sunday??? (is that normal Keith?)

What the blazes is going on? One minute Thameslink 377s are a big "no, no" around the loop, next minute they are chucking them out on a Sunday - in pairs as well. The only 377s I have seen are in the week on booked workings not that I have been out much on Sundays of late and no plans for several weeks to remedy that.

I see from your photos that even the normals are looking at the 377s in amazement -"I've seen green ones before but what are these new fangled blue things?" says one punter to another .

Oh, and looking forward to hearing about your exploits up the Buxton line last Saturday - you'll probably have run into many of my Northern requirements. ....
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,854
Location
West of Andover
I was shocked as well Keith when I saw them roll into Loughborough Junction, caused by a shortage of 319s caught up in over running engineering works?

75th September – A Greater Manchester Shack Attack Part 2

Today was going to be a day of shack attacking within the Greater Manchester Rail Rover area, continuing my attack visit from a couple months ago, but this morning would be slightly different, there would be no 08:00 service for me this morning as I had somehow managed to get myself booked onto the 07:35 Euston to Manchester service, well it saves some time and goes via Crewe to make a change.

159010 was the sprinter in charge for this morning’s run in the dark with the 05:27 departure towards Waterloo, unusually I wasn’t the only person boarding at this very unsocial hour on a Saturday morning. Straight enough run into Waterloo, and with northern line sets 575 & 576 taking me to Euston, I went off in search of something to munch on, plus a newspaper to read. This morning I was in coach E of dud 390010 for the 183 mile trip (plus 11 chains, never forget about the 11 chains) to Stockport, where I jumped off early. Nice enough run via Crewe to make that change of scenery. For my first shack attack I was going to head south, mainly towards Stoke-le-Trent, but first I had the chance of a little linear bash to Cheadle Hulme if the 323 heading towards the Edge was required.

It was required (which leaves 3 Northern 323s left), so I jumped onto 323225, bike in hand, for the short ride to Cheadle Hulme, crossing over the footbridge to get to the other platform on the other side of the triangle (so all 4 platforms now covered!) as dud 323233 took me to the very Welsh sounding Poynton. It was time for a quick ride, taking me back along the line to Bramhall where I made it with time to spare to relax before dud 323232 rolled in to take me back to Stockport, where I alighted and crossed over to platform 0, exiting via the ticket barriers as my bike was unfolded (couldn’t be bothered to carry it). A few minutes later dud 150206 rolled in on a Buxton bound service to take me to the edge of the very underused overhead wires at Hazel Grove, where another bike ride was waiting.

Not as nice as the ride earlier, but still some good exercise as I made the mistake in using Nokia Maps instead of Google Maps (as I wanted to try and save mobile data), and made a couple wrong turns, and because it seems to ignore bike paths it ignored the Middlewood way and sent me a strange way, eventually I found myself back onto the Middlewood way following a little sign post, and found myself at a 2 hourly shack with no road access, known as Middlewood. Time to sit down and relax to await the arrival of the train from Buxton, formed this morning of dud 150207 with winner 150142 on the rear. Taking a seat in 142 and making use of the toilet, we soon arrived at Davenport, where my original plan had me riding back to Woodsmoor thinking I wouldn’t make the connection. Thankfully the next train was running a few minutes late so I made the connection, however it was dud 150269 to take me to Woodsmoor.

A quite basic station, and with time to kill I sat down and relaxed, to await dud 150203 on a Hazel Grove – Oxford Road service, which took me back to Stockport, where I decided to have a quick spin of the wheel to see if XC would give me one of my last required voyagers for a short Piccadilly hop, but sadly it was dud 220031 for the 5 mile 69 chain leap. Over the footbridge, where I could have jumped back onto 150203 for the short hop to Oxford Road, but I noticed a Liverpool bound TPX a few minutes behind (and knowing that it would be very unlikely for the stopper towards Liverpool to be released ahead of the express), so I grabbed a quick wrap from WH Smiths and waited. Winner 185103 rolled in, so I jumped on board for the short run to Oxford Road, sadly it was delayed departing Piccadilly for some reason, which meant I had to dash to jump onto winners 150143 & 156472 (yes, my first non-150 Northern DMU of the day!) for the short run to my 1st shack along the Cheshire Line Committee line, a 2-hourly shack, Trafford Park.

As expected from a 2 hourly shack, it was very basic, but I didn’t have time to waste as I went for a little bike ride along some housing estate to reach Urmston, a station which has a pub on the side, but with an awkward looking platform to platform change. A dud pacer was running towards Oxford Road, which I knew I would be getting later, but I was in luck with winner 156460 to take me to another half hourly shack, this time in the shape of Irlam, which also had a pub on the platform. Over the other side, where I awaited dud 156486 to take me to another 2-hourly shack, this time Chassen Road, where I had my tightest connection of the day, 10 minutes to ride the 1.2 miles back along the line, but I made it with a couple minutes to spare at Flixton. Dud 142029 was running a couple minutes late, but it was a service which called at another limited service shack along the line, so it was back out over the Manchester Ship Canal, passing some building works of a large industrial building, passing some disused sidings before reaching Glazebrook.

Time to ride (again, as I didn’t fancy waiting the 3 hours before the next train which calls at Glazebrook), over the Glaze brook and via a housing estate (switched back to Google Maps, it might lack voice instructions at which way to go, but it shows up short-cuts which you can cycle down), and back to Irlam. Dud 156486 returned from Oxford Road to take me to the edge (and probably over the boundary) to Birchwood, with winner 150114 rolling back in to take me to my last shack along this part of the line to Humphrey Park, another 2-hourly basic shack. Winner 156426 rolled in with dud 156452 behind to take me back to Irlam for the 3rd time, where I crossed over and waited as fresh duds 156472 & 150143 returned from Liverpool, and now on a semi-fast which calls only at Urmston before it went into the bay (so a bit of micro-grinding at Oxford Road). Only shack left out towards Liverpool within the GM area on that line is now the very hard to get Manchester United Football Ground station.

Winner 185141 rolled in from Liverpool close behind the stopper, which was good as I jumped on board for the 43 chain leap to Piccadilly, however it was delayed arriving into the station, which meant I missed the chance to bag another required 185 heading out towards Liverpool, so it was a little fester before duds 350408 & 350404 rolled in to take me along the near 22 mile run to Wigan North Western, where I had unfinished business with another Welsh sounding station name, and was expecting some 319 action. Sadly it wasn’t 319 action, nor some pacer action, instead dud 150210 was sitting on P6 (and interestingly 150110 rolled in heading towards Liverpool from Blackpool, with a 142 heading the other way). Time arrived and it soon departed, and soon enough it was rolling into the first shack along the Wigan – Liverpool route at Bryn, a very tight connection here at Bryn but I made it over the road bridge and to the other platform before 210 had even departed. Happy days, another still no 319 action, as duds 142061 & 150145 rolled in to take me back to Wigan North Western.

A pair of hire-in 156s was next on a Manchester Airport TPX, sadly both were dud, 156429 & 156488, as they took me to Oxford Road, where with making that tight connection I was 30 minutes up, which gave me a couple options, either do a couple Oxford Road/Piccadilly leaps or head to Stalybridge 30 minutes up to reduce the mad rush of my final the bike ride. An EMT service was running late, but had winner 158866 on the front with dud 158806 which I took to Piccadilly, annoyingly a required 319 arrived onto P3 heading to the Airport as we departed, and I decided as it was getting a bit hairly with delays, to just jump onto the Scarborough service, it departed 10 minutes down and was dud 185104, as I spotted my last 350/4 heading towards Scotland from Piccadilly, bugger I through as I headed across the station throat towards Guide Bridge to alight at Stalybridge for my last ride of the day.

After getting a bit lost out of the town, and via some evil steep hills, I made it to Mossley with time to spare, lucky I took the 30 minute head-start, although it only gave me an extra 18 minutes due to delays, as it would have been cutting it a bit fine. The next units were probably the ones I was least expecting, as it was the return of 156472 & 150143 getting their 3rd ride of the day, to take me to my final new shack of the day with Greenfield. Quite a busy platform waiting for the service towards Victoria, and when winner 150118 rolled in, it was quite busy with various party-goers, it emptied out a bit at Greenfield, and emptied out a lot at Stalybridge as they had the same idea as me to jump onto the next TPX for Liverpool, formed of dud 185147. The end of my adventure, but I had the chance of a quick linear bash to Stockport before my advance ticket kicked in, but sadly the TPX for Sheffield was cancelled, and both XC & ATW services were duds, so after grabbing dinner, I took a seat in an empty coach E (coaches B, C & D were rammed) of dud 390127 for the ride back towards the south, the last London train from Manchester, and as always emptied out a bit at Stoke, and at Milton of the Keynes, as it was some slow-line running to Watford, where I alighted to cross over to the bay platform to jump onto the airy 377705 for the Southern service to Selhurst.

I do like the 377/7s when they are on the southern end of the WCML as they pick up a bit of speed, before the world’s seemingly slowest junction to join the west London line, via changing over to DC at the North Pole. Into Clapham, where I had a 20 minute wait for the Andover bound service, so I grabbed a quick snack from Sainsburys to wait as passengers came rushing up from the subway to seeing the Southampton bound 444s at the platform to try and get onto the rear unit (as it’s front unit only for a pair of 444s at Clapham Junction). Anyhow 159108 was the unit in charge on the 23:40 to Andover this evening, as due to engineering works, the lines around Salisbury were closed overnight, so it was onto a rail replacement bus for the final leg.

This morning the RRB was a Stagecoach Winchester, an R-reg Volvo B10M-55, example 20937, a classic bus with classic bench seats, for some bus thrash back to Grateley. Another coach was the backup in case there were a lot of passengers, but didn’t need calling into action, as I drove home after dumping the bike into the boot, and collapsed into bed, with nothing planned for the Sunday other than to rest.

17 new shacks covered, especially along a line I was expecting to hit into trouble with delayed TPX & EMTs either cancelling the stoppers or turning the stoppers into semi-fasts dropping stops, 5 more 2-hourly+ shacks covered which is always a bonus, anyhow some random pictures of various random shacks:

The road-access free Middlewood:


Under-used wiring at Woodsmoor:


Trafford Park – Quite basic


Urmston...next to a pub:


Flixton – Quite basic


But had nothing on Humphrey Park which had nothing:

“So I returned to Irlam”


What a lovely Northern Electrics 150 :p


Quite a low bridge at Greenfield:
 

hassaanhc

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
2,225
Location
Southall
What the blazes is going on? One minute Thameslink 377s are a big "no, no" around the loop, next minute they are chucking them out on a Sunday - in pairs as well. The only 377s I have seen are in the week on booked workings not that I have been out much on Sundays of late and no plans for several weeks to remedy that.

I see from your photos that even the normals are looking at the 377s in amazement -"I've seen green ones before but what are these new fangled blue things?" says one punter to another .

Oh, and looking forward to hearing about your exploits up the Buxton line last Saturday - you'll probably have run into many of my Northern requirements. ....

Exactly a month ago I saw blue 377207 on the 1446 Blackfriars to Sutton via Mitcham Junction service (should have started at Luton but it got heavily delayed, and even departed back to Sutton 15 late from the bay P4).

Of course, the green ones are normal on the Mitcham Eastfields to Sutton side, with most of the Southern services using them. But yes the blue ones don't normally get there!
I know both Mitcham Junction and Hackbridge need SDO7 with the 377s, but what about the Tooting to Sutton side? Most of those stations have the 8 car stop on the end slope, so surely SDO7 is also needed there? Wonder if that was the issue? :idea:
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Helluva good time had in Manchester fair play! I too need that bit into MUFC's ground, should be easy enough to figure out as you've mainly got to plan around a day they're playing at home. Which for me means planning carefully as I need to book time off for that!

At the rate you're going you'll have scored every shack in the country by 2017!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,854
Location
West of Andover
A great read there, Kite. Really enjoying reading about your shack scratching, keep it up!

Thanks Alex

My plan for the coming weekend involve an overnight stay at Rugby on the Friday in order to catch a certain LM Northampton - Crewe service to Polesworth

Google Maps is suggesting Arriva bus 785 departing from outside the station to Tamworth at 07:35, so hopefully that doesn't cost the earth :lol: Afterwards I plan to try and do the shacks on the Crewe - Stoke - Stafford loop and the shacks on the Shrewsbury line covered by the West Midlands Day Rover (plus Gobowen)

Sunday is a more relaxing day to clear the Looe line & Gunnerlake line in Devon/Cornwall
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Exactly a month ago I saw blue 377207 on the 1446 Blackfriars to Sutton via Mitcham Junction service (should have started at Luton but it got heavily delayed, and even departed back to Sutton 15 late from the bay P4).

Of course, the green ones are normal on the Mitcham Eastfields to Sutton side, with most of the Southern services using them. But yes the blue ones don't normally get there!
I know both Mitcham Junction and Hackbridge need SDO7 with the 377s, but what about the Tooting to Sutton side? Most of those stations have the 8 car stop on the end slope, so surely SDO7 is also needed there? Wonder if that was the issue? :idea:

In the clockwise direction, there's definitely SDO7 in operation at Morden South and Haydons Road. I am not sure about West Sutton or Sutton Common. And I'm not sure about the anticlockwise direction as, believe it or not, I have yet to do that way on an eight car 377. But now that 2V15 is turning up Electrocarts, I might have to find out one day.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Helluva good time had in Manchester fair play! I too need that bit into MUFC's ground, should be easy enough to figure out as you've mainly got to plan around a day they're playing at home. Which for me means planning carefully as I need to book time off for that!

At the rate you're going you'll have scored every shack in the country by 2017!

Kite, yet another marathon shack scratch! Presumably winning haulages were very much a secondary matter as you made little or no use of the NRDMUG last Saturday. Some of those shacks on the Liverpool line do look rather basic and/or desolate. My understanding with the MUFC shack is that exit is directly into the ground but could anyone confirm that? If so, presumably you will need a ticket for the game.

I need absolutely loads of Northern shacks but those can wait. Whenever I am in that part of the world, the concentration is on getting stuff scored for haulage and racking up the mileage.

At this rate of shack scoring, very soon you'll only need the remote Scottish and Welsh ones. What's the plan to get those sorted?
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,854
Location
West of Andover
I'm not sure about MUFC, pictures seem to suggest it exits into the area around the stadium, so it seems to suggest you can escape the area without going into the ground itself.

But I will post a new thread this evening asking for any ideas, I'm up in Manchester on the 5th December, and looks like Man Utd are at home playing West Ham that day so I might try and get it out of the way.

Looking at the Ghost station hunters site it looks doable.

Although if you are allowed to take the train paying the extra fare from Oxford road to Man Utd if your not heading to the ground.


--------


Keith, now that winter is coming in with the days getting shorter, I've only got one more day trip planned with the bike, and that is only for one shack leap, so my focus will mainly shift to clearing out the remaining SWT & Southern shacks and making a start at the many SET shacks within the London Zones. Before I can shift to the remote Scottish and Welsh ones I need to try and clear the non-remote Scottish & Welsh ones, i.e. in the central belt & valleys line.

As for the likes of the Far North, West Highland lines, that will take some deep thinking, with many hours festering at remote shacks and probably a week (if not longer), unless there are some shacks which are close enough to ride a folding bike between (unless I start taking my regular full-size bike out).
 
Last edited:

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
I'm not sure about MUFC, pictures seem to suggest it exits into the area around the stadium, so it seems to suggest you can escape the area without going into the ground itself.

But I will post a new thread this evening asking for any ideas, I'm up in Manchester on the 5th December, and looks like Man Utd are at home playing West Ham that day so I might try and get it out of the way.

Looking at the Ghost station hunters site it looks doable.

Although if you are allowed to take the train paying the extra fare from Oxford road to Man Utd if your not heading to the ground.


--------


Keith, now that winter is coming in with the days getting shorter, I've only got one more day trip planned with the bike, and that is only for one shack leap, so my focus will mainly shift to clearing out the remaining SWT & Southern shacks and making a start at the many SET shacks within the London Zones. Before I can shift to the remote Scottish and Welsh ones I need to try and clear the non-remote Scottish & Welsh ones, i.e. in the central belt & valleys line.

As for the likes of the Far North, West Highland lines, that will take some deep thinking, with many hours festering at remote shacks and probably a week (if not longer), unless there are some shacks which are close enough to ride a folding bike between (unless I start taking my regular full-size bike out).

Looks like you have cracked MUFC station! But looking at the fixture list, the TV companies have yet to have their say which Premier League games will be early/late kick-off, or indeed played on a Sunday so don't be surprised if the game "you are going to" does not kick-off at 15:00.

I am not doing too bad on South Eastern shacks in the zones - need 12 and they are splattered around but if I get a free Sunday or two, I will try to attack a few more.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
See I'm a little different in my way of thinking there. I'm considering a Highland Rover when the HSTs start operations on the Inverness to Aberdeen line, get some of the more remote ones done then carry on with the easier ones. Obviously it'll take several trips to get the Far North lot done and the West Highland lot of course, but I don't mind that too much.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,854
Location
West of Andover
Hi I'm new here, how do you do? ;)



Managed to walk the ~ 3.3 miles between the two Bere stations this afternoon, took me just under 55 minutes. Yes my feet are now killing me.

Polesworth is an interesting shack, I guess the guy in the pickup has the job to unlock the gate and lock it back up after the train has departed to prevent trespassers. A station which has potential if NR could be bothered highlighting its presence and gave it a new footbridge (or ramp from the nearby road bridge). But like Wedgwood & Barlaston it seems nobody wants to change the status quo (is it unsafe platforms for the reason why they don't see trains stopping?)
 
Last edited:

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
Managed to walk the ~ 3.3 miles between the two Bere stations this afternoon, took me just under 55 minutes. Yes my feet are now killing me.

Wow! The terrain around there isn't exactly the speed walking type either!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top