30th August A Day on the Southern in London
My first proper London Sunday for a good few months, with the aim today of clearing some of the Southern shacks within the zones before meeting up with Lord Techi for a spot of unplanned bashing, due to being a bit tired from the night before I sort of overslept and decided it wasnt worth the crazy rushing around to try and catch the first service from Grateley on a Sunday (7:38) so decided to watch a bit of the Last Leg and head out to catch the 8:38, from Yeovil Junction so it was a bit more busier than my usual Sunday morning service (the 7:02 from Andover). Formed this morning of 159009 & 159006, I took the pair all the way into Waterloo, although it does sit at Clapham for around 10 minutes on a Sunday morning (arrived a bit early) due to the slack in the timetable when the SWML runs as 2-track.
Before I got onto the Southern network, I had a spot of unfinished business with the northern end of the Thameslink network, mainly Radlett, so after thinking of ways to reach the Thameslink core (Jubilee to West Hampstead would be the easiest), I jumped onto a Northern line set, formed of units 505 & 504 for the 34 chain leap to Embankment (first time I believe Ive used the Northern line platforms at Embankment), before heading to the SSL platforms with a circle line service 2 minutes away... 5 minutes later it was 1 minute away, and finally arrived with S stock 329 & 330 for the trip to Blackfriars. Up the stairs and I was in luck a Bedford bound service was in the platform, however it was a dud solo 319 (319450 I think) which when I boarded I jumped straight off as there was sick everywhere in that coach, absolutely horrible. 10 or so minutes later dud 319449 rolled in on a St Albans terminator, which got some good miles as I took a seat and headed north, out of the zones to
Radlett, which is where problems started, there was no southbound stoppers, one service was cancelled and the next service was delayed. However the fasts to Three Bridges were still running (so how hard can it be for Thameslink to work out that maybe it might be worth putting some special stop orders onto one of the Three Bridges terminators to replace the cancelled stopper?). 35 minutes later, with the platform quite rammed 319449 rolled back in, and as it was on a Sutton loop service I decided to jump into the First Class area to grab a seat, as it got quite busy running down the line, but finally the northern end of the Thameslink was done.
I stayed on 319449 all the way down, passing Elephant & Castle and alighting at
Loughborough Junction, where I had a 15 minute break before the next Sutton bound service (via Mitcham), and with spotting a little Tesco, I headed down from the viaduct and grabbed some lunch, before heading back to the island platform to await the next service. I was surprised when duds 377516 & 377514 rolled up, although on taking a seat in the declassified first class section I wasnt happy as it looked like I left my plug for my charger at home (having used it overnight to charge my tablet up), so no chance of a quick charge of my phone. Boo, anyhow a few minutes later the pair of 377s arrived at
Hackbridge. Over the footbridge to await dud 377610 back up north to
Mitcham Eastfields, noting that the 377/6 stopped right at the end of the platform (and watching as 319449 returned from the loop to stop at the level-crossing end of the platform). Duds 319433 & 319439 took me forward to Sutton, where I had a few minute break before dud (i had no luck with required units this afternoon) 377624 took me the 69 chain leap to
Cheam. Under the subway and to the other platform and onto another dud, this time 455843 heading back to Sutton. So that is 4 of the 5 lines heading out of Sutton done, now to do the 5th line.
Bit of a short wait before 455832 rolled in to take me to
Carshalton Beeches with a brief wait before 455846 was next up to take me to
Waddon. 455814 rolled in to take me back towards Sutton to clear out
Wallington to complete the trio, 455807 was next up to take me to West Croydon, where I had a 15 minute break before 455814 returned on a Victoria bound service to take me to
Streatham Common. A brief wait before 455845 rolled in to take me to
East Dulwich, going out underneath the road and up to the other platform to wait before 455808 rolled in to take me to
Gipsy Hill, bit of a tight connection here, but not as tight as the next station with 455817 rolling in on time to take me to
North Dulwich with a +1, but thankfully easy to do with a footbridge to jump back onto 455845 to take me to
West Norwood. I believe that is now all Southern shacks cleared north of South Croydon apart from Birkbeck, all other my remaining Southern shacks within the zones are in zone 6, so a job for another day. Time was ticking so I decided to walk back to Tulse Hill, which was a very good call (even though it nearly ended up badly with my mapping software sending me up the wrong street) as the Thameslink service I would have caught was delayed and would have missed the connection at Herne Hill. Anyhow dud 319381 took me forward to Loughborough Junction, before 319437 & 319215 took me to
Herne Hill, a very annoying pair of 319s as my last 2 units with Thameslink are 436 & 214.
Across to the South Eastern platform to jump onto the next Victoria bound service, formed of winner (oh my god, my first main-line winner of the day!)
465024 with dud 465163 on the rear for the 62 chain leap to
Brixton. Eventually I located the entrance to the underground station (as it isnt signposted from the national rail station) and the next Victoria line set was in the hands of 39 & 40 to take me to Victoria where I met up with my good friend, Techniquest. As he was limited to zones 1+2 we were more limited to movements, but first up was a South Eastern service running fast to Lewisham (as I wanted to clear St Johns if I could), dud 465196 was leading with winner
465182 on the rear. Alighting at the maze known as Lewisham and eventually locating the right platform for a New Cross bound service, with winner
465159 leading dud 465018 for the short 37 chain leap to
St Johns, just to clear it. Next service was only a minute or so later and with dud 465043 leading winner
465021 took us back to Lewisham. 4 new 465s inside 30-odd minutes, quite a good score I would say. Down to the DLR, with my first trip on the system in over a year (blimey has it really been that long) with winning sets
126, 109 &
108 taking us to
Limehouse (highlighted as it was the first time alighting from a DLR unit at Limehouse). Crossing over to the C2C platforms with the next Fenchurch Street bound service a few minutes away and sadly (for me, winner for Techni) duds 357045 & 357206 rolled in. Annoyingly I spotted the next departure which was leaving as we arrived was a double winner, but C2C can wait until the new timetable to do a spot of 357 hunting.
Eventually we found the entrance to Tower Hill and headed to the underground, next service was a District line D-stock service towards Barking way, with circle line 461 & 462 rolling in next to take us around to Liverpool Street. To the upper level, towards P1 & P2 to have a look at the Orange 315s, we were heading towards the next departure which was a winner for Techni, but when I saw the unit on the next departure was one of my last 2 LO 315s, I bailed, with a quick text to say meet you at Bethnal, as I scored
315812 for the short trip to Bethnal, as Techni jumped on board as he required 812 as well, so to the next stop at Hackney Downs. Dud (for me) 315811 took us back to Bethnal Green where we exited the station after noting nothing of interest on the next movements.
A nice walk took us to
Bethnal Green underground station, as Techni had some unfinished business with the western end, with East Acton. A central line service formed of units 267, 110, 202 & 337 took us to
Holland Park which was a required shack for me (as that service terminated at North Acton), the other platform was quite loud with carnival goers, but soon enough 103, 058, 012 & 335 rolled in to take us to
East Acton, where it was raining. To the other platform with 021, 460, 008 & 159 taking us back to Shepherds Bush, where we transferred to the LO station, Techni thinking it would take longer to reach then it actually did, and with 5 minutes before the next 378 was due, we relaxed. Winner (and 2nd last)
378211 rolled in to take us to Imperial Wharf which is a required shack for Techni, and with 15 minutes to kill we exited the station, only to find the little Tesco Express closed. I had to be manually allowed back into the station, although the ticket office person didnt look at my ticket, and we took 378220 to Clapham. Next Waterloo bound service was from P3, which was quite handy, and my god another winner for me, with
450078 & dud 450105 for a short Vauxhall leap. 8 x 450s left to try and locate so another unit ticked off. Sadly there was nothing of interest at Vauxhall for either of us, so we jumped onto dud 455858 for the ride to Waterloo.
I went to grab some dinner, and met back up on the concourse to have some food, after we finished and was thinking of moving, I heard the announcements with passengers for station X should join the front 7 coaches, which could only mean one thing, a double 458/5 (seeing as they are the only units with selective door opening) and we were in luck, dud 458504 was leading winner
458505 for a short Vauxhall leap, where we fell onto a Victoria line service (sets 92 & 91), where Techni bailed at Kings Crosss, I stayed on until the end of the line at Walthamstow Central, where I had a room (booked under Blind Traveller) at the Travelodge. After having a look at what LO units were floating around (just in case 808 or one of my last 2 LO 317/8s showed up), but neither was needed, so I went to check in and went up to the room. Location is excellent as it overlooks the platforms; however it is the standard rock-hard Travelodge style bed, I had spotted a little Tesco Express over the road and borrowed a plug from Techni to charge my phone up as I headed for a moderate sleep night, ready for the tour in the morning.
A successful day, 20 new shacks covered, anyhow some pictures:
A pair of 377/5s at Hackbridge on a Sunday??? (is that normal Keith?)
The wide platforms at Cheam
31st August The Byways of Yorkshire Railtour
Nice little easy day for me, with a railtour over some forgotten tracks in the Yorkshire area, a chance to cover some uncovered red lines in my atlas and a good day with Techni. After awaiting from the hotel in Walthamstow, I headed to the station as I was running a bit later than expected, to see what unit would form the 06:3x towards Liverpool Street, thankfully it was a dud 317, so I headed towards the little Tesco for a supply raid and to the underground with Victoria line sets 73 & 74 taking me the 7 mile trip to Kings Cross St Pancras, where it was a tad wet.
Winner
66200 was up front with
66168 bringing up the rear, so happy days with two new 66s into the book, as I took a seat in the rearmost carriage and met up with Techni to relax and departed pretty much on time for a slow run north along the east coast main-line, picking up at Potters Bar, Stevenage and finally Peterborough, before bearing left onto the boring Oakham line, whose sole interesting feature is seeing a part of Rutland water. Bearing right at Syston junction and onto the MML to race north flying pass Loughborough & other local shacks before taking the high level bridge to enter Toton, with a brief pause to change crew, the journey continued northwards as it rejoined the passenger network before branching off at Pye Bridge Junction to score my first new track of the day with the line towards Kirkby In Ashfield and via Mansfield before taking a right after Shirebrook (isnt that where the worlds most expensive Sports Direct is based?) and onto the former Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast railway route, heading eastwards.
Scenery in this area is countryside, and lots of it, former branch lines towards long closed collieries, with track either missing or overgrown, into the sidings before a reversal with 66168 getting its first miles under todays trip and into the single track leading to the closed Thoresby Colliery, strange thinking that once the clear-up is complete, there will be no more need for this little track so this could possibly be the last charter train. 10 or so minutes later we had reversed and back onto the siding, further on the line is the RIDC Nework Rail test track, which will most likely take over the entire line back to Shirebrook as there wont be much else on the line. One further reversal took us back towards the passenger line, completing the Shirebrook triangle and heading north on the Robin Hood line, before branching left at the end (where the regular traffic to Worksop bears right), we had a brief pause here (where I will admit, I fell asleep) before heading towards Sheffield and down into the station. Not knowing if we would be berthed into a platform or had to reverse in a central road, but we arrived onto P6, time for a bit of fresh air and a walk.
We were soon hurried back onboard for the trip back up towards Nunnery Main Line junction, and onto the track which runs alongside the tram network, where I scored the missing link of the Tinsley triangle, previously ran down into Tinsley sidings and back out again, so that was good. Back onto passenger lines for only a short while passing Rotherham Central before taking the Swinton avoider to rejoin at Mexborough. Next new track for me was with the Doncaster avoider line between Hexthrope junction and Bentley junction, which flies over the top of the ECML and rejoins the line towards Hatfield & Stainforth, where we went into the siding at the rear of the platform for one more reverse to take us back towards Doncaster, but bearing onto another freight only line (which eventually will reach Adwick area), to take the new Doncaster North Chord to join the line towards Knottingley junctions. Over the line and onto the Dearne Valley line, passing Ferrybridge power station, passing a point where I want to forget (due to spending 2 and a bit hours stuck on a 142 last year with failed points) and out to York, arriving a few minutes early.
Time for food, and to have a good walk, with Techni locating a little Sainsburys and KFC down takeaway row, grabbing some food for later from Sainsburys and food for now from KFC, before we headed back towards the station, going around in a circle, passing many pubs and nightclubs. York is an interesting city, but soon enough we were back onto the station, after a PNB we were back onto the train. We were heading forward but sadly right at the rear (and with no more reversals planned meaning we would probably walk forward nearer Kings Cross to reduce the platform walk). Setting off repeating the journey, passing the limited service shack of Ulleskelf, Church Fenton & Sherburn-in-Elmet (which I must get out of some trip planning mode as Im getting ideas at how to clear them) before heading towards Ferry Bridge and back down via the rear of Knottingley and back out towards Doncaster, running a bit late, but with a 10 minute pathing slot before being allowed back onto the ECML and down towards Doncaster, heading into the yard area to the side of the station to change drivers, before heading along the various lines before joining the South Yorkshire Joint Line at Decoy South junction.
A bit of a long slow line be the South Yorkshire Joint Line, not a lot really to look at outside the window, a bit like the Middlewich line. Eventually we arrived back onto the Sheffield Cleethorpes line passing Shireoaks & Worksop to join the ECML via the Whisker Hill curve at Retford (some new track for me, although I will need to return to try and get the track down the other way as it involves a flyover). A pathing stop at Retford and we were on our way heading back towards London, with light falling and with a nice peaceful trip (after Peterborough once a lot of passengers alighted). We moved forward after Potters Bar towards the first class area, just to reduce the walk. Arrival at Kings Cross was around 3 minutes down, which isnt that bad all things considered, so it was down to the Victoria line with sets 13 & 14 taking us to Victoria, where we were going to jump on the first thing towards East Croydon for Techni, Clapham for me. The first service was heading to East Grinstead and was formed of double winners
377619 &
377609 for the short run to Clapham, where I said goodbye to my good friend Techni as he sped off to the night. I had a 10 minute fester, made easier with the arrival of a Colas 37 coming via platform 8 with some network rail yellow Mk3s behind, the driver opening up the noise in the platform (lovely noise).
Due to Winchester area being closed, the trains for Southampton & beyond where diverting via Guildford, with connections at Woking for a shuttle to Basingstoke, which saves a trip on a stopper (as even the last Salisbury service turned into a semi-fast between Woking & Basingstoke, calling at Farnborough & Fleet, replacing the 23:3X Southampton service I would imagine. Anyhow 444004 & 444001 rolled in, so taking a nice seat, firing up the wi-fi to check some emails and news, and arrived at Woking. Was going to be P1, but changed to P2 with dud 450073 rolling back out towards Basingstoke, where we arrived onto P3. A quick walk to the car and with a short drive home, only coming to a stop at the traffic lights over the bridge with the Ludgershall MOD branch, one day I will do a Basingstoke Grateley drive (via Whitchurch as its more fun) without having to stop.
Anyhow a very good day, some good miles covered, some new track covered, and with some random pictures taken:
66200 at a wet Kings Cross
66168 (plus DVT 82202) at Kings Cross
Here be some random sidings:
-----
4th September A Friday trip to the Cotswolds
Just a short mini report, 159002 took me to Basingstoke, where I managed to fill out a form to try and claim my overcharge for parking back, with XC 221127 taking me to Reading, where I transferred (via Boots for some food) to P9 to board a busy 180102, where I somehow managed to get a table seat (although the lady I sat next to wasnt the best pleased she had to shift her bag), which I took for the long haul via Oxford, and onto the Cotswolds line to score
Evesham. 40 or so minutes later 180103 on the Didcot Malvern all shacks service (4 times in seeing that service and all 4 times its been 103!) to take me to my final FGW shack along that line at
Pershore.
15 minutes later 180102 arrived back from Worcester to get an extra 76 miles, 72 chains under its wheels back to Reading, with a brief break before boarding the lovely 150002 to head back to Basingstoke, with 159017 & 159104 doing the honours to take me back to Grateley. A short and sweet day to clear two slightly annoying out of the way shacks of the FGW empire.
180106 (I think) departing Evesham with 180102 by the side:
Hello, Im back with 180102 back at Pershore
Nothing really to do with this trip report, but gives you an idea what happened on the 5th