Leam! I haven't seen it in Chiltern colours yet.
It was a lucky shot, I was at Banbury on Friday evening around 18:00 having alighted from the Manchester bound Voyager, the 68 hauled service which normally connects with the voyager was first stop Leamington (sounded amazing going pass Banbury), with a Banbury - Snow Hill service departing soon afterwards.
I was at platform 3 hoping to get a picture of the 68 (as you do) when I spotted a 2-car coming up (at first I was thinking it was a 172 rushing up empty somewhere) until it went pass, and I noticed the unit number. A quick search of RTT saw a potential of a photo at Leamington with the 18:09 arriving before the 168/3 could head back down south.
That picture was taken from inside 168111 which was good as pretty much as soon as I got off 168111 and to the rear, 329 had started to move, I managed a couple other shots but they are not that great.
168111 next to 168329:
(I couldn't find a thread in the rolling stock which dealt with the creation of the 168/3s from the former TPX 170s, only what TPX are doing after losing them)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
11th September A positioning movement for Operation Pole
I had been planning Operation Pole for a few weeks now, mainly after seeing that I could get a cheap room in the Rugby Travelodge just outside the station for the Friday night, so I had a day to position myself for the Saturday. After a nice walk to the station arriving a tad early to wait for the 15:59 service to roll in, today formed of 159004 & 159020 for the near 25 mile run to Basingstoke, where I crossed over to platform 5 to jump onto the lovely (and quite busy) 150001 for the run to Reading. I had a booked seat for the XC from Reading and I was feeling a bit hungry so I made use of the time to grab a meal-deal from Boots (I do like the Cheese & Appleslaw sandwich they do).
Dud 221129 rolled in a few minutes late, and I managed to get my table seat in coach F for this heavily used service (departing Reading at 17:15), to relax for the 52 mile trip towards Banbury, the grumpy rude I will sit here without checking the reservation screen to see if this seat is available for the journey from a couple weeks ago and got very edgy when he got asked to shift (doesnt he know that coach B on the 221s is unreserved). Anyhow arrived into Banbury a few minutes late and I alighted and headed to the loo, as the next Marylebone Birmingham service was running fast to Leamington from Marylebone, dud 168111 was waiting on P1 to form a semi-fast to Birmingham. The next service from P2 was mentioned as being formed of 5 carriages which got me thinking that a 172 would be making an appearance.
Anyhow, I got a shock when I saw 168329 rushing pass just before an unknown 68 rushed passed sounding amazing, I jumped onto 168111 for the short run (if you can call nearly 20 miles short) to Leamington Spa, where I managed to get a couple pictures of the former 170309. I was in luck as I positioned myself near the end of the platform to await the 5-carriage service, winner
172102 was leading (just leaving 172104 left to track down) with dud 168110 on the rear. Taking a seat in the rather empty (Im guessing anybody wanting stations north of Leamington would have got onto that 68 hauled service which departed Marylebone a couple minutes before this one) 168 (as they are more comfortable than the 172s) for the ride north towards Moor Street.
We paused briefly at Dorridge, where a double London Midland 172 set was waiting to depart, I noticed a certain 172/2 leading the pair, my last LM 172, so I bailed from the Chiltern service at Solihull and made use of the time to buy a Daytripper from the ticket office. Back upstairs to wait as
172219 rolled in with dud 172211 on the back, and with a smile on my face I boarded 219, knowing that I didnt have to come back to search for it (as I only have one more 172 served shack left to clear). To Moor Street, where I had ~ 7 minutes to get across to New Street, so it was fast walk time. Thankfully not as busy as it has been along that little passageway and I got down to platform 11, a XC 170 bound for Cardiff was getting ready to be split up on P10 and I through I had missed the chance, but the doors opened and I (and other passengers) jumped onto
170114 for the short trip to University. The original idea was to catch the Longbridge bound 323 all the way to Longbridge to clear that shack, but I decided as it was running a few minutes late it was best to bail early.
Winner
323216 arrived 5 minutes down which I decided to bail at
Bournville for no reason other than I needed the shack. Dud 323211 took me back to University, where I alighted to await the service from Hereford. Sadly my luck had run out and it turned out to be dud 170513, which took a few minutes to get from University to New Street, having to wait as it crossed over and ended up on a low numbered platform (as it was going to be forming the next Shrewsbury train). The next service to Euston was calling me, and it was sadly duds 350117 & 350234, which once the doors were released I took a table seat in 117 for the near 40 mile trip to
Long Buckby
I was originally going to wait 20 minutes to catch the next service to Northampton to clear that shack, however something appeared to have gone wrong somewhere and it was shown as being 15 minutes down, and with the connection at Northampton being 14 minutes I decided it wasnt worth the risk (not to mention that I was tired, hungry and it was raining) so jumped onto the New Street bound service, dud 350264 back to Rugby. Managed to locate the hotel with ease, and food was sourced from a Tesco Express located nearby, sadly I was on the railway side of the hotel, so I got to hear the station announcements (and the noise of 390 & 350 doors), and the bed was of the usual hard as nails style so I didnt get to sleep that well.
12th September The Day of Operation Pole & Some West Midlands Day Ranger shack attacking
There is a certain shack on the Trent Valley section of the WCML which is served by one train a day heading northbound (due to the footbridge being removed a few years ago and not being replaced), Im talking about Polesworth, the reason for my overnight stay at Rugby, so at 5:20 the alarm rung and I got myself up and ready for a busy day (although a bit later than I would normally), and headed to the station.
I made a note the previous night that the ticket office opened at 5:45 so I made use of the time and purchased my first West Midlands Day Ranger, the idea after clearing Polesworth was to head to clear the shacks between Stafford & Crewe via Stoke, and the shacks from Wolverhampton to the edge of the area at Gobowen, at just after 6am, the first train of the day arrived, and it was another dud 350, 350112, to take me to my first shack of the day at
Atherstone, just for the sake of clearing it. I had a couple options, either do as I had planned and have an hour fester at Atherstone to go to Polesworth, or catch a bus on route 65 heading towards Tamworth. As it was raining and Atherstone looked like it lacked shelter, I decided to go for the bus option.
I located the bus station at Atherstone and arrived just after a modern single decker bus arrived, sadly I didnt grab the unit number or what it was, but it had Wi-Fi and little USB charging sockets, useful to track the progress. Single fare of £2.50 to Polesworth and there was only me and another passenger on board (and he alighted at what looked like to be a distribution depot for a German supermarket) I made the slight mistake of bailing from the bus a tad early (as it goes around a loop passing a school in the village centre itself before doubling back to a main-road), so I had a little extra to walk, but even in the light drizzle I made it to
Polesworth, although the station itself is quite hidden with no signposts saying it is there.
As expected the single platform was rather basic, a timetable poster, and I suspect the gate to the platform is only unlocked 20 or so minutes before the train is due and relocked soon afterwards, as it seemed to be that sort of heavy-duty access gate. After a couple photos, and noticing that if Network Rail really wanted to, they could put in an access ramp to the other platform from the road-bridge, and give the station a decent level of service (as the village appeared to be quite large), anyhow winner
350263 tipped up and picked me up (and as expected I was the only person boarding). The guard was slightly disappointed as I bet she wanted to sell a ticket from Polesworth (similar to the guard a couple weeks ago on the Ashford service which called at Doleham) but as I had my rover I didnt need one. I sat back and relaxed for the journey north, and alighted at
Kidsgrove.
I was expecting a 20 minute fester here, but thankfully the EMT Crewe Derby service was running a couple minutes late, and so I managed to make an unexpected -2, and onto winner (although as my EMT 156 requirements are massive I would have been disappointed if it turned out to be a dud)
156411 for the short trip back towards Stoke to
Longport. Across the footbridge and to the other platform to await the train I would have caught from Kidsgrove, winners
153376 &
153383, 3 required EMT DMUs, happy days, and I took the pair of dog-boxes to
Alsager.
There is nothing much to report around Alsager, apart from a closed pub, a large dog, and some rain, the town centre being a fair distance from the station, so I stayed around the station to await fresh dud 350263 to roll back in, back towards Stoke passing Longport, pausing for a fair while (7 minutes) at Stoke before continuing on, passing the sites of the closed Wedgwood & Barlaston stations to
Stone which surprisingly had a RPI standing guard ready to catch any fare dodgers.
A couple 390s & voyagers later and the next Euston Crewe service popped up, and it was another dud, this time 350103 which I took to Stoke-Le-Trent, heading underneath the subway to jump onto dud 221123 for the run back to Wolverhampton. Over the footbridge to await the next Liverpool bound LM, and my god it was a winner,
350243 taking me back towards Stafford to
Penkridge to clear the West Midlands loop of the WCML. Nothing much at all around Penkridge, apart from a closed pub, a large dog & some ouths, with some long access ramps to the fairly basic platforms, an old station building is having some work done to it, but apart from that nothing. Dud 350253 rolled in to take me back to Wolverhampton where I had a 20 minute break before the next ATW service towards Shrewsbury, so I made use of the time to grab some lunch from Sainsburys.
The Glasgow bound 390 looked rather busy with football fans, but I stayed and waited for the ATW towards Holyhead, somehow finding myself 2 hours ahead of my schedule. Winner
158833 rolled in with 158831 at the back, 158831 detached at Shrewsbury and 833 carried on heading north, dropping me off at the edge of England, at
Gobowen. over the level crossing and to the other platform to await the delayed service towards Cardiff, the barriers went down, 158833 departed, the barriers went up, a large dog went across the level crossing, the barriers went down and I spotted a 175, would I get lucky with my first required 175 since March (ok, my 2nd 175 since March), and yippee as it was
175103. Back to Shrewsbury where I crossed over to board duds 158828 & 158837 heading towards Birmingham from the Welsh Coast, sadly this is when my plan doesnt work as I had planned to catch the Virgin service towards Euston which connected up with a LM stopper at Telford Central, but running 2 hours up did mean this couldnt be done.
To Telford Central, which is a horrible station, full of youths whom seem the sort to collect ASBOs as some people collect football stickers, anyhow I didnt have long to wait before duds 170511 & 170510 rolled in to take me to the tight connection shack at
Bilbrook, exiting over the ramp, over the road bridge and down to the other platform with a minute to spare before dud 170630 rolled in to take me back towards Shrewsbury to
Oakengates. Nice enough station, but I didnt have long to wait before winner
170505 and dud 170517 (the 3rd set on the Shrewsbury stopping diagram) taking me back the near 12 miles to
Codsall. 170510 & 170511 had returned from New Street with a short leap to
Shifnal which is a station on top of a viaduct of a small town, nothing else around the station, but strangely no large dog in sight.
Next up was another trip on 170630 to take me back towards New Street, this time alighting at
Albrighton with another short wait in a station with nothing much around, but had more around that
Cosford which is where 170517 & 170505 dropped me off, with a near 40 minute fester next to the airfield & RAF camp. 40 minutes later (at least it gave me a chance to listen to some music and read my book) 170510 & 170511 rolled back in for the 3rd time to take me to Wolverhampton. I was happy the local shacks between Wolverhampton & Shrewsbury all done.
Wolverhampton was in a mild state of panic, trespassers had gotten onto the line north of the station (between it & Penkridge), and so services were delayed heading south. My original idea was to see what was on the Virgin service and if that was a dud, to jump onto the XC service towards Bournemouth. Neither happened as a service from Liverpool was next up, so deciding it wasnt worth the risk of hanging around, I jumped onto dud 350251 back to New Street, an hour up from my original plan, so I did some research and decided it would be a good chance to clear the last 2 shacks on the cross-city line. First up was a delayed service towards Lichfield Trent Valley, formed of dud 323209 which I took to
Wylde Green with dud 323204 taking me to
Four Oaks. I had a couple options, either a nice fast service (non-stop from Sutton to New Street due to delays) or a chance to have a micro-grind of the bay platform.
My mind was made up when I saw a required 323 rolling into the bay, and the delayed service (and the one behind that) were duds, so I took a seat on winner
323222 for some action down to New Street, running a couple minutes behind a delayed service meant most passengers waiting at the other stations boarded the first service (which meant 222 was nice and quiet). Rolling into New Street, I had around 18 minutes before the XC towards Reading was due to depart, so a quick dash for a Tesco Metro raid was made to grab some food & a nice cold drink. I walked back to New Street, passing the gateline which was all lit up (cant be that long before they become active) and to the cave to await the service towards Reading, which was running a couple minutes late (according to RTT).
Lucky days, it was a winner,
220018 and like the previous time I caught this service a couple weeks ago was nice and empty going via Solihull to Leamington Spa, sadly losing some time so instead of arriving at Leamington a few minutes up, arrived 3 down, so no chance of a quick dash to Warwick on a Chiltern unit if required. Anyways, I didnt have long to wait before 168217 rolled in to take me to Banbury, where normally I would alight and wait for the XC, but tonight was slightly different, Im assuming due to works around the new Bicester curve the line south was closed and passengers to London were being routed to Oxford and onto a FGW towards Paddington, so I had the chance to sample the delights of a 168 all the way to Oxford, rolling into the micro-grind of P3, the bay.
I had an option to catch a FGW to Reading, however looking at RTT I spotted that all London bound services were being routed via the relief line platforms (P14/P15) at Reading with XCs going into P3, so got me thinking that I could score some rare track, mainly the festival chord from the relief lines, under the viaduct and into P3. Thankfully both 165s on the Paddington service were dud, so I gave them a miss to be rewarded with dud 220003, finding my table and rolling down to the GWML where I kept an eye out looking for clues, yes we remained on the relief lines, passing Tilehurst and spotting the outline of the viaduct before slowing down and crossing over, to go under the viaduct and out, where we came to a random stop for around 8 minutes before going into the station.
I spotted a turbo powering away as we arrived, but didnt think too much about it (thinking it was probably a service towards Bedwyn), but it was the Basingstoke train running 10 minutes late. Quite a fast reversal at Reading and we departed only a minute down, but the usual fast run to Basingstoke was ruined by slow running caused by that late running stopper, which meant we arrived into Basingstoke around 10 minutes down
which meant the service towards Salisbury was gone. Damn, a 55 minute fester at Basingstoke, not what I really wanted, so heading out of the station via the side gate (the main ticket office entrance all blocked off with some policemen standing guard) for a quick think, grabbing a nice cold can of drink from the little Londis before heading back to the station, awaiting the 23:12, the Poole service before was running 18 minutes down due to a police incident at Waterloo, which meant the Salisbury service was around 6 minutes down, and formed of 159004. Back to Grateley, arriving 1 hour 4 minutes down on my original plan, but hopefully I can get something back from XC for causing the delay.
Anyhow some pictures from a busy day:
Lord Technis favourite station
Old footbridge?
A 390 rushing pass:
The train now approaching stops here!
Old platform:
156411 getting ready to depart Longport:
A pair of dog-boxes departing Alsager
............Stone
Gobowen:
170511 & 170510 clagging away from Shifnal
Fast Train approaching:
Cosford...
168217 at Oxford P3:
13th September Reversing in the Valleys of the West
The aim of today was to clear 2 more branch lines in FGW land, mainly the Looe Valley Line and the Tamar Valley Line, two branch lines which involve a reversal on route, I had one shack remaining on the Looe Valley, and 3 shacks on the Tamar Valley, so with Basingstoke closed for engineering works I decided to Go West, where the skies are blue.
A nice drive to Salisbury saw me having to dump my car down another side-street as the usual street parking bays I park in were full, anyhow I had time to kill as I walked to P3 to wait for the doors to be released on 159104/159010 with 159019 coming along as far as Honiton where it detached to form another service back east. So I set off along the west of England line, a nice slow potter along a mostly single track route, it gets boring after a while. Anyhow, arrival was mostly on time into Exeter Central, but for some reason we were held up departure for 3 minutes, but eventually got going down the hill to St Davids.
Across to P4 to jump onto dud 150238, a bit of good news that it was a 2+2 seated /2 example rather than a 3+2 seating example, at least it had tables to rest on, heading down the coast pass the sea (I love the part of the line between Exeter & Newton Abbot, in fact this part of the world is very beautiful, perfect window watching). Into Plymouth where the 150 had a 10 minute break before continuing as a stopper to Liskeard where it terminated due to engineering works, with time to kill I headed over to P3 to await what was probably going to be a dog-box, and I was right as 153370 rolled in.
Interestingly the last time I had 153370 (to Pilning) the last train before hand was 150238, anyhow it had a brief layover as the Sunday timetable is a bit more relaxed than during the week, before it set off, as I requested my stop to the guard as he wrote it down before we reached the bottom of the hill, where the unit reversed outside the station, the guard jumping out to set the points before coming back in and continuing down the valley where it called at
St Keyne Wishing Well Halt, one of the few stations with Halt still in its name, and there is pretty much nothing around, a musical museum next to the station and that is about it, so after a wonder I came back to read my book and relax, waiting for the sound of the 153 making its way back in order to request it to stop.
153370 arrived back and I took it back to Liskeard, a nice little 3 and a half mile run, getting some good noise as it climbed the hill around the curve, such a mad line. Across the road and to the main-line station, where a sprinter was waiting and it was dud 150106, last had when attached to 153370 to Pilning, history has a strange habit of repeating itself. Anyhow it was running non-stop to Plymouth, where I had around 45 minutes to kill, so I went shopping to grab some lunch for now and lunch for later. Half an hour later I was back at the station, noticing a trio of 153s on one platform (service from Exeter?) before my eyes changed to the bay platform 3. 150106 had shifted to the other side, and super dud 150263 was waiting on the next Gunnislake train, so I jumped on board and had some food awaiting departure.
An on-time departure and down the main-line, calling at the likes of Dockyard & Devonport before coming away from the main-line, diving underneath it twice before running up the side of the Tamar before crossing over a bridge to reach the Bere peninsula, and with a reversal at Bere Alston taking us over the Calstock viaduct into Cornwall and into
Calstock where I alighted. With around 40 minutes to kill, I decided to go down the hill to get a few pictures of the mighty fine Calstock viaduct crossing the river Tamar, the distance between Calstock & Bere Alston might only be 1 mile 55 chain by rail, but by road its a good 9 miles, the next road bridge over the river being north of Gunnislake (although the distance between St Budeaux & Bere Ferrers puts that to shame, 4 miles by rail, at least 15 miles by road). Anyway after some ice-cream (it was sunny after-all), I went back to the station to await the return of 150263 to take me back over the viaduct to
Bere Alston, where I decided to go for a walk.
A nice 3.2 mile walk, and I nearly arrived in time to catch the unit heading back up towards Gunnislake, I failed to take into account the weird departure times from Plymouth, this one departed at X:40 rather than X:45, maybe if I didnt stop to try and get some pictures of the bridges, or sign-posts to Holes Hole, I would have made it. But I wasnt that bothered, my feet were hurting and for the first time in ages I had a mobile internet signal, so I spent the hour checking up on stuff, before 150263 returned to take me to Plymouth. I had 3 options to get back to Exeter St Davids, 2 FGW HSTs or a XC HST. I had hoped the XC HST would have arrived before the first HST had departed to give me a chance to see if either power-car was required (as it does give an unofficial connection at St Davids), but it was running late. But luck was finally on my side as the first HST to depart was winners
43130 &
43193, so taking a seat to relax for the run back to Newton Abbot. This gave the chance to spot a voyager from Paignton, which was dud, and gave me a chance to dash to the KFC for some food.
I dont really like KFC, its not as nice as McDonalds, but it will do as there isnt much else around Newton Abbot, the rain had started as I dashed back to the station, both power-cars on the HST from Liskeard were dud, so I allowed it to go to eat food and get in position for the XC. Leading was dud 43207 but at the rear was winner
43321, so only 2 power-cars left to get. Back towards Exeter, the sea was looking really bad, at one point a wave broke and hit the side of the coach, a storm was on its way, but arrival into Exeter St Davids was on time, so across to platform 3 to jump onto 159004 (again!) and 159020 for the 88 mile & 49 chain trip to Salisbury, unusually doing a bit of right hand running in Axminster loop, and waiting at Tisbury for another Exeter bound service to go into Tisbury loop.
Anyhow back into Salisbury, where I located the car and had a nice little drive home, the end of a nice relaxing day in the south west, 4 more shacks cleared & 2 more branch lines cleared, the end is in sight!
Anyhow some pictures:
150238 at Liskeard
We head this way, and reverse down to that track:
St Keyne Wishing Well Halt:
Some bridge
150263 departing Calstock
A mighty fine viaduct:
Devon is over the water
150263 is back!
Farewell Cornwall:
Bere Alston
Guard changing the points:
A I wish I had my proper camera moment:
Has Holes Hole got a Hole?
Bere Ferrers:
Has a pair of Hunslet shunters:
Good view of both Tamar Bridge & Prince Albert Bridge: