• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
No-one can say that was an easy day for sure, not with all that cycling! Certainly you're helping break the stereotype that it's not an active hobby!

Shame about the NRDMUG not being too helpful for you this time, next time you may have better luck!

As for Accrington, memory is a little lazy as it's been nearly 4.5 years since my Lancashire Day Ranger bash which took me over that way, but I recall a 142 over that curve was indeed noisy but not quite as bad as you'd expect. I could be wrong there, after all that trip is almost nostalgia territory!

Another high mileage bash there, putting me to shame with my low mileage bashes! 2016 may however change that significantly...
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
An enjoyable read, as usual.

I suspect we travelled on the same services, but at different pointsin their journey. You boarded 150226 at New Lane and alighted at Hoscar - I boarded at Atherton and alighted at Swinton, joining 156425 to head west again. You were working your way to Burscough Bridge and joined 156425 there - but I had already bailed out at Ince!

For guture travels with your folding bike - Snaith, Rawcliffe, Saltmarshe spring to mind. Its pretty flat round there!

I had a rough idea how to do the shacks on the Leeds - Goole line. Take a train to Knottingley before cycling to either Hensall or Whitley Bridge, catch the train to Rawcliffe and then ride back to Snaith before catching the train back to either Hensall or Whitley Bridge before riding back to Knottingley.

However it will be a task for a long weekend in Leeds due to tight connections with the last London train, so a job for 2016 (maybe making it a long-long weekend with trying to do that PSUL movement on a Hull bound TPE via Castleford)

There is quite a few limited service station generally in that area (Saltmarshe, Broomfleet, Eastrington, Wressle etc), so careful planning is needed.
---
Forgot to post this photo of Accrington


--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
26th July – A Sunday on the Tarka Line

Tarkalinelogo.jpg


My aim for today, was to have a relaxing day going back and forward on the Exeter – Barnstaple line (otherwise known promotionally as the Tarka Line) to clear my remaining 8 shacks, 4 of which normally see a very limited weekday service, but with the 2 hourly services on Sunday spilt between semi-fasts and all station stoppers, it would be a good way to clear some of them out of the way.

The day begins with a nice drive to Salisbury, where the rain was holding off until I got onto the 9-car monster forming the 07:06 towards Exeter St Davids, with 159003 at front with 159106 in the middle and 159107 at the back locked out of service as it was being removed at Honiton to form a service from Honiton to London Waterloo, taking a seat in a quiet 159106 I was surprised when the regular guard came through checking tickets for him to mention that revenue protection was on board, and sure enough a few minutes later 2 RPOs asked to see my ticket (and also my gold card, which is quite rare), nice surprise for any early morning fare dodgers wanting a free ride (unless they ask for a FOSS or a Devon Day Ranger which can’t be issued by a TVM). Rolling down the hill into Exeter St Davids, I had a rough plan how to fill the 50-or so minutes before the next Barnstaple departure, which was to catch a service down to Teignmouth and with a HST back to St Davids.

This is where it could have all gone horribly wrong, as I had 10 minutes I hopped over to the little WH Smiths to see if I could pick up a light breakfast, when I noticed the departure screens for the 09:49 departure for London Paddington was reading something like 10:08, so I decided to ditch my idea of going down to Teignmouth on the 09:05, and thankfully I did as the next arrival from Newton Abbot direction wasn’t until 11:19 (overrunning engineering works in the Plymouth area, the HST was cancelled and a XC service was running nearly an hour late, that would have pretty much ruined my plan. Anyhow, after thinking that not a lot was happening I decided to jump back onto 159106/159003 for the short 62 chain leap back to Exeter Central (departing from P3 at St Davids to arrive on P2 at Central), where I had a same platform interchange to a service bound to Paignton, thinking I might get lucky with the arrival of one of my 5 remaining FGW 150s. The rain at this point was pretty much constant so it was wet and cold, and the service back to St Davids was on a pair of pacers, 143612 & 143621, heading across to P6 to jump onto the Barnstaple service, formed this morning of 153305 leading 143617, and deciding I would want some comfort, I sat onto the 153 with its tables and carpet.

At departure time, the guard came on the PA saying that the service was delayed due to an air-leak, so the engines turned off, some fitters came, did some magic and the engines restarted as we departed 9 minutes down, which meant the returning service we passed at Eggesford was waiting for us to clear the single track. I do enjoy the nice run through North Devon towards Barnstaple, as it is very remote, and I requested (majority of the shacks on this line are request stops) to be leave the train at my first new shack of the day at Umberleigh. It’s in a little village, not a lot going on and it was raining so for my 50 minute fester, I sat in the little waiting shelter (which was rubbish as it had gaps at the top between the sides and the roof), waiting for the return of the units, alarm clock set on my phone to make sure I would be standing on the platform when 143617/153305 made their returning journey to request it to stop. 1 down, and I was back heading towards Exeter, sitting in the 153 as the pacer was quite busy. Request number 2 of the day was made and the train stopped for me (and another passenger) at Yeoford.

Part of the platform itself (plus the disused platform on the Okehampton line) was on a bridge over a fast running River Yeo, and the station was quite peaceful. I didn’t have long to wait (after spotting 153325 on the Okehampton service) before 143618 & 143620 rolled up, and shocking the conductor when I requested Chapelton “Your the 3rd person I’ve ever had to get the driver to stop at Chapelton for” and after a brief chat about my plan he agreed that it was easier to get Chapelton on a Sunday as the evening weekday service has a hour and a half gap (although you could probably get back to Umberleigh in that time). Sole passenger alighting at Chapelton and it was easy to see why it is in the bottom 20 station usage table, it is in the middle of nowhere, there is no path from the platform to the little lane (goes across some grass), however I’m pleased to report there is a public telephone on the platform in a well built shelter...

...But it didn’t work, the 20 minutes I spent there was quite boring as I put my hand out to get the train to stop and reboarded a busy 143620/143618 for the run back towards Exeter, asking to alight at another limited service stop, this time at Lapford. Another basic shack in the middle of nowhere, however the rain had stopped and it was time for the first bike ride of the day, a nice easy (ish) ride along the A377 for 4.1 miles to the crossing station on the line, one which normally involves a hour penalty as it’s a level crossing shack, Eggesford. The Exeter bound platform has a nice waiting shelter and a modern help-point listing departures, the Barnstaple bound platform had an old bus shelter with no seats and a leaking roof and an old help-point. Anywhere, I had time to relax, and recover from my ride, and to see what unit was on the next semi-fast to Barnstaple. It was 150216, after pausing for a moment outside the station so the driver could pull the rope to activate the level crossing (as the Tarka line is very high-tech) it rolled in.

Taking a seat for the 17 and a half mile trip to the end of the line, at Barnstaple, where it had a 20 minute wait before the next departure, and there is a large Tesco outside Barnstaple station, and I was hungry. 14 minutes (and with dirty hands for putting the chain back on) I was back on the unit, sat opposite someone who decided he didn’t want others to sit near him as he had bags over 2 other seats. It was a bit of a busy service, and I asked the conductor to arrange for the train to stop at Copplestone, a station on the edge of a housing estate, but apart from that not a lot, a nice oldish lady was maintaining the gardens at the station, as I sat back to relax, thinking what would the next units be. 153305 & 143617 had returned to the Barnstaple line, with another stopper, this time I asked the guard to stop at Portsmouth Arms, another station with hardly anything around (named after the Portsmouth Arms pub), but strangely I wasn’t the only person alighting, and I think it shocked a couple walkers that a train was stopping there. Anyhow, the rain had died down to a mere drizzle, as I unfolded the bike for my 2nd ride of the day to my last Tarka line shack, another limited service, and another 3 mile ride around the A377, up and down hills, but it sticks close by to the track, as I turned off and headed onto Kings Nympton with 20-odd minutes to spare.

Hiding under the shelter as the heavens opened, to wait the return of 143617 & 153305 to take me back to Exeter St Davids, sitting on the 153 for the 25 mile trip, a highlight seeing Tornado steaming away from Exeter St Davids (although I think some photographers weren’t happy when a pacer decided to show up when the Torbay express was passing), anyhow into Exeter St Davids, where I had a 55 minute wait before the next Salisbury service, so I hopped onto 150266/153373 for the short trip up the hill to Exeter Central, with the idea of catching what was on the next service down the hill, if required, but as they were a pair of pacers I gave them a miss and headed into the city centre to McDonalds, to sit at a table to eat a burger (bit hard carrying the meal on a bike), before I headed back to the station, on P2 to await the next Waterloo/Salisbury train (unit splits at Salisbury). Formed of 159004 & 159014, I wisely sat in 014 (and the guard was quite good at checking for any passengers wanting stations beyond Salisbury to get them to sit in the front unit), which emptied out after Yeovil, allowing me to relax for the near 88 mile trip back East along the mainly single track line to Salisbury.

A quick dash to the car (parked at the side of the road on the station approach road as it be free parking) as it was raining, and going via a nearby BP to give the beast some food, before a nice drive home via the Bourne valley (bit longer than the direct route, but a nicer drive). The end of a busy and successful day with the Barnstaple line cleared, leaving a mere 4 stations left to get in Devon. As expected no new units (only needing 150120, 150121, 150129, 150232 & 150265 of the Wessex FGW units means it was always going to be a lot shot)

Anyhow some pictures:
Umberleigh:


Yeoford:


Chapelton:


Lapford:


Eggsford:




Copplestone:


Portsmouth Arms:


Kings Nympton:

 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Grr at 150216 as I need that one, everything else there are duds for me. Apart from the shacks, I need all of them between St Davids and Barnstaple.

Such a shame you'll be on my stomping grounds when I'm not in the area!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
Grr at 150216 as I need that one, everything else there are duds for me. Apart from the shacks, I need all of them between St Davids and Barnstaple.

Such a shame you'll be on my stomping grounds when I'm not in the area!

I hope I've given you an idea how to clear those 4/5 shacks on the Barnstaple line which see limited services :)

-

The bike was a good idea, allows me to get two shacks done for the price of one, beats walking between them. If the weather is nice on Friday I will probably go for another little ride, either to do Pewsey (riding from Bedwyn) or a shorter easier ride from Charlbury to Finstock in Oxfordshire. West Midlands on Saturday, will try and aim to clear the shacks on the main-line between Wolves & Coventry if possible, maybe moving to do some of the cross-city line shacks if time allows (plus a trip to Stourbridge if 139002 is rolling about this week).
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
You've certainly given me some insight on the smaller shacks aye :)

I'll be due into New Street around 2005, I'll let you know what's happening there on the day, would be rude not to meet up while you're on my patch!
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Well done on the latest bagful of new shacks! I'm not even going to take a punt on the remaining ones but probably safe to say that your trusty bike may be called into action again. Your photos also help with the write up.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
I am heading out to the Midlands today so if I end up at Stourbridge I will view the 139 and report which one it is here. A great read as always!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
Well done on the latest bagful of new shacks! I'm not even going to take a punt on the remaining ones but probably safe to say that your trusty bike may be called into action again. Your photos also help with the write up.

Remaining ones in Devon are:
Topsham; Bere Alston; Bere Ferrers & St Budeaux Ferry Road.

If your interested, I've attached my "stations visited" sheet :)

The first three I've got a plan to do on a Sunday in August (along with Calstock over the border), with the limited service shack of Ferry Road hopefully being done on a mid-week trip in August (and yes the bike will be coming out to play in Cornwall)
 

Attachments

  • Stations Visited.xlsx
    163.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
A mini shack attack last Wednesday, as I wanted to get back onto the rails after a rather stressful day at work, with my eyes focused on the local stations between Basingstoke & Farnborough, plus a mild annoyance in the shape of Worplesdon.

Only one winning 450 (450110), which I was annoyed as if I passed up a trio of duds I could have scored another winner.

Anyhow, a couple pictures:
Worplesdon


A trio of 159s storming through Winchfield (159103 at the rear) (which strangely isn't showing?)



Fleet is nice, Winchfield has a large bridge and Hook has a tesco bolted onto the side.

----------

31st July – An Oxfordshire bike ride, part 2

Back in June I managed to 3 of the limited service shacks on the Cotswolds line (Combe, Ascott & Shipton), which just left me with Finstock to do, which only sees one train per day in each direction. So with my trusty yellow folding bike in hand (well on the ground wheeling it) it was time for a nice little gentle ride in Oxfordshire. The 14:59 service towards Waterloo today was formed of 159004 for the 30 minute journey to Basingstoke.

Last June I cut it fine with delays to the 15:47 XC to Reading, giving me a few minutes to dash across the platforms, so this time I decided to reduce the risk and jump onto 150001 for the short run to Reading, one day I will do the 2 required shacks along this line, arrival into Reading was mostly on time, where I set about to await the arrival of the service to Worcester. However I wanted to find out which voyager was on the XC service, so when required 221119 I jumped on board a busy service (managing to grab a seat in the former shop area in coach D) for the 27 and a bit mile run to Oxford avoiding Didcot Parkway.

Quite a busy Oxford station with many passengers boarding the XC, I made use of the time to have a PNB knowing that the last couple times I’ve caught the 180 which forms the 15:50 from Paddington, it’s been standing room only. I caught sight of 180 sitting outside Oxford station, waiting to be allowed in, and after making me go deaf (the brakes are loud), I noticed it was 180104, my first FGW 180 from last July. I’m guessing due to the summer holidays, it was less busy as normal as I managed to get a seat, all-be-it the seat in the vestibule in the rear most carriage.

20 or so minutes later (wasn’t really counting the time) the service arrived into classy Charlbury, with the new-old platform being put to good use as a HST was waiting for us to clear the single line section. World’s longest footbridge, and I got completely confused trying to find the way out of the station car-park, but eventually found myself on the road, and after a brief push along the pavement (due to the road being 1 way and I was heading against the flow of traffic), I departed the town and following the instructions of my phone, found Finstock.

A very basic station, although it as a PIS and auto-announcer, single platform down a long access ramp from the road-bridge, no wonder why it only has 1 service a day as it is quite far from any housing (although it does have a bus stop outside the station). The service turned into “delayed” before being given a time, running 5 minutes late and formed of 180103 (the same unit which I caught last month from Combe to Ascott). I was surprised when around 10 passengers got off the service, but I found a seat in the leading coach for the run to Moreton-In-Marsh, my final station in Gloucestershire.

Quite a busy little town, with a little Tesco Express next door to a little Co-Op and a large Budgens next to the station, useful to killing time as I awaited the next Hereford bound HST to take me one more leap west. Quite a few tourists around awaiting the next London train, but I jumped onto duds 43125 & 43143 to take me to Honeybourne, which like Charlbury & Moreton has a large footbridge to get to the other platform.

10, or so, minutes later 180104 returned from Worcester, as I took a seat for the 69 mile (and 52 chain) trip back into Oxfordshire, along some rather beautiful countryside, picking a few passengers up at Oxford before running into Reading, arrival was on time, which was nice as I didn’t have to run to get to P2 where 150002 was waiting to take me back to Basingstoke. Just when did FGW get round to fitting Wi-Fi to the 150/0s? 150002 had a nice Wi-Fi connection, which was useful as it allowed me to check up a couple news stories and to follow Mr Techni’s adventures in the north. Arrival into Basingstoke was a couple minutes down due to a late arrival of the 150 into Reading (departed Reading 5 down, so a nice bit of 150-thrash), across to P2 where 159006 & 159001 rolled in onto the final Exeter bound service (rear 3 continues to Exeter, front 3 terminate), which is where things went wrong.

20 minutes later, we were still sat at Basingstoke, the guard which was meant to board/take over at Basingstoke wasn’t there, I would imagine if it hadn’t been the last service to Exeter it would have been terminated at Basingstoke and everybody having to pile onto the next service, I’m guessing a guard was found as we eventually departed 25 minutes late, to arrive back at Grateley, the end of a busy-ish afternoon, 4 more shacks cleared on the Cotswolds line, with another new 221 into the book. Only Pershore & Evesham remain, which I had hoped to do on the 29th August (however the proposed FGW strike has put plans for an Oxfordshire day to clear the local stations between Reading & Banbury on hold).

Anyhow some pictures:
180104 departing Charlbury


Finstock:



Moreton-In-Marsh:



Honeybourne:



---------------

1st August – West Midlands shack attacking [/b]

A nice little day in the West Midlands was planned, to clear some more of the London Midland Empire, this time focusing on the local shacks between Coventry & Wolverhampton, with maybe the shacks towards Bloxwich if things work out well. As I was staying overnight in Birmingham, I decided to drive to Andover (owing to the 2-hourly nature of Grateley on Sundays), so after paying for 2 days parking in the soon to be multi-storey car-park at Andover, I crossed over to P1.

Thankfully when 159021 arrived, I went into the warmth as it was quite chilly. Nice run to Basingstoke pushes this unit closer to the 500 mile mark, across the platform, where after buying a newspaper I went to P5 to jump onto dud 165128 for the short run to Reading, for no reason other than to keep out of the cold. I’ve only previously had this 2-car 165 last year for a similar hop to Reading from Basingstoke. Into Reading, where I sat on the seat at P3, to await the arrival of the Voyager, which arrived on time and formed of dud 220008, where I got my usual seat (table seat in coach D) to relax for the 81 and a bit trip to Coventry.

Unusually I was on advance purchase tickets as it worked out cheaper than a period return, so no worry about having an enforced change at Banbury meant I arrived into Coventry for around 8:25. Over the footbridge where I purchased my daytripper from the ticket office, and back, making a leap onto the 8:30 departure towards Birmingham New Street. RTT time to determine where best to hop off, where I noticed the service from Birmingham was running a few minutes late, which changed a -2 at Berkswell into a +1, so I decided to risk it all. The 8:30 was formed of duds 350235 & 350112 (previously had on a Harrow to Watford Junction leap), where I alighted at Berkswell

Not knowing the station layout meant that I completely messed up the exit for the stairs, as the stairs for the bridge was at the Coventry end of the station, but I made it over and to the other platform in time for duds 350237/350126 for the just under 2 mile leap to Tile Hill/ The next service was only 10 minutes away so I had a brief fester, looking at the rather nice road-bridge. My first winners of the day arrived in the shape of 350370 & 350373 for the short run back to Coventry, where I had a 8 minute connection before the next New Street service. Winner 350238 was leading dud 350114 for the short (1 mile 38 chain) leap to Canley. Another quick P2P change (Platform to Platform) saw me back towards Coventry on duds 350107 & 350117.

Over the footbridge at Coventry and onto the next Virgin service, formed of winner 390153 which I took for the 10 miles (and 56 chain) trip to Birmingham International, crossing over the platform to jump onto winner 350129 leading dud 350104 for a short leap back towards Coventry to Hampton-in-arden, 4 shacks cleared in just over an hour, and it was back to Birmingham international on 350115. I had several options here for my next move, however when I spotted a required ATW 158 sitting on the platform ready to form the next Pwllheli/Aberystwyth service, my plans changed as I only need 5 of the ATW 158s (and as their operating area is quite wide I try and get them on my unplanned trips). Leading was winner 158830 with 158826 for the short run into Birmingham New Street, also known as Birmingham Construction Site.

Going via the reopened Navigation Street footbridge, I jumped back onto fresh dud 350115 for the run to Marston Green, a quick P2P change saw me onto dud 350113 for the short run back to Lea Hall. As I had a 30 minute wait for the next service, I looked at google maps and found that Stechford station was a mere 1.2 miles away by foot, so I went for a walk along the streets to Stechford station, a couple delayed services meant the local stopper from Birmingham International to New Street was delayed. 5 minutes late, dud 323220 rolled up to take me to the hourly shack at Adderley Park. I either had a 15-odd minute wait for the 323 to return, or I could go for a walk as Duddeston station was only 0.8 miles away and hopefully I could connect with a Walsall stopper.

Passing the yards and underneath the Cross country line towards Nuneaton/Tamworth I arrived into Duddeston with a few minutes to spare, and was rewarded with my walk with dud 323203, which I took back to New Street, where it due to sit on the platform for 10 minutes, which gave me a couple choices for a linear bash, either a Liverpool bound service to Smethwick, or a Shrewsbury service to Sandwell. First up was the Liverpool service and it was winner 350251 (the Shrewsbury service also had a winner 170/5 on (attached to a dud 170/5), to Smethwick Galton Bridge, with a little fester before 323203 rolled in to take me to Tipton.

Bit of an extended fester at Tipton as the next stopper was being held for a late running XC service so I could have made the negative connection at Coseley with ease. Dud 323212 rolled in 6 minutes down which put my connection at Smethwick Rolfe Street at risk (was a +7) and as the service lost more time, it arrived into Rolfe Street just as the other service had departed, so I went for a walk back towards Galton Bridge (around 0.7 miles away) to await the next Liverpool bound service which would connect with the next Walsall stopper giving a tight +3 at Wolverhampton. Dud 350101 was running 2 down, so at Wolverhampton it was a run from P2 to P5 which isn’t easy at the best of times, but thankfully I was behind somebody loading a large pushchair onto winner 323241 so I managed the connection by the skin of my teeth.

First stop where I jumped off was Coseley, a station where to get from platform to platform involves exiting, up a path, across the bridge and down another road, I would say at least 90 seconds if you are lucky and don’t get caught behind some slow moving people up the path. I didn’t have long to wait before winner 323240 took me back to Wolverhampton, where I had several options now that the WCML local shacks in the Daytripper area had been cleared (woohoo).

A service from Liverpool was running 25-odd minutes late, so that was out of the question, which gave a couple options to head back to New Street, either on a XC service or a 390, with me thinking the +1 onto a service from Shrewsbury, from P5 to P4 (which you need to get down the entire length of P1, up 2 flights of stairs across the footbridge and down 2 flights of stairs and go to the middle of P4, so not the fastest P2Ps which can be made), would have been gone by the time I made it to the footbridge. However it was running a few minutes late, and when I saw it roll in, noticing it was winning 170631, I jumped on board. Quick check of RTT to see what was the next movement towards the Chase line to give me a 18 minute connection from the Shrewsbury, so I was thinking of ditching at Sandwell & Dudley to see what 390 was on the service behind (annoyingly was a winner), but I was hungry and once into New Street, I exited and visited the Tesco Metro for a meal-deal.

The service from Rugeley Trent Valley was late, arrived 5 minutes after it was meant to have departed, which meant we were around 8 minutes down on departing New Street on dud 170507 which meant my connection at Tame Bridge Parkway was lost, but I got off there anyway and waited to jump onto 323240 for the run into Walsall. A strange station, partially inside a tunnel underneath a shopping centre, where to get from P3 (the only platform with overhead wiring, although the track next to a former platform also has overhead wiring), with P1 being a good walk from the P2/P3 island. Anyway, it had started to rain at this point, quite heavily, but only lasted for a few minutes, before winner 170630 rolled in to take me to Bloxwich North, a station which gives Walsall a run for its money to get from platform to platform, but I was heading for the run back south towards Bloxwich station itself, to await the return of 170507 back to Walsall, leaving just the 4 stations north of Bloxwich north to do which require an additional ticket to the standard daytripper, a job for another day.

I alighted from 170507 at Walsall and had a little walk into the attached shopping centre, before I headed back to the platform, and jumped onto 323212 when it arrived, the next service had been cancelled so I had to bare that in mind, so I jumped off 212 at Witton. With 20-odd minutes before the head Walsall bound service, I set off for a walk, only for Google to suggest a bus on a route 68C towards a shopping centre at Perry Barr, it was number 761 and I was the only passenger for the short ride up to Perry Barr. Heading down to the platform to await the arrival of 323241 to take me to Bescot Stadium, the station without much around (apart from Bescot yard, but sadly nothing much to look at loco-wise). It was a long 10 minutes to wait before 323241 arrived back to become my latest super-dud for a ride to my final shack on the Walsall – Wolverhampton service at Hamstead. A bit of a tight connection here at Hamstead (+1), thankfully I remember to alight from the rear most door and jumped over the road bridge and down to the platform to jump onto 323240 heading back towards Walsall. Alighting at Tame Bridge Parkway for a long hop across the platform, and onto dud 170508 for the run back to New Street, running non-stop via Aston.

I eyed up a required 170 on a Hereford service, so decided to board 170634 for the short run to University and crossing over to the other platform where I scored my first London Midland double 323 set, leading was dud 323205 with winner 323221 behind. Deciding to stay on for a quick city link shack score at Chester Road, where the heavens absolutely opened. Across to the other platform, and onto 323207 for the short run to Gravelly Hill, where I quickly brought up the instructions how to reach my hotel to check in, and after checking in & a quick freshen up, arrived back at the station to find that the next service towards New Street had been cancelled, messing up my plan to connect with a service at New Street to meet Techni at Wolverhampton.

A quick check of the timetable saw a connection to his (required) 390 could be made at Sandwell & Dudley, with the next Virgin service due to head towards Wolverhampton (closely following a delayed Preston bound service), and I was in luck, it was winner 390129. Under the subway and finding myself half-way down the platform to try and be in the location for coach F, but going a bit too far and boarding winner 390124 to meet up with Techni for a good little chat, back from the North West before he jetted off on a bus towards Scotland, sadly the queues in McDonalds meant a shaky connection with the 20:30 XC to York, so back to Tesco to pick up a reduced finest sandwich (and some pop).

Why was I going for the 20:30 XC to York, might you ask, well it covers the track north of Lichfield Trent Valley which remained uncovered. Formed of dud 220024 and it was quite quiet, easily finding a table seat in the rear coach F. Always a bit of a worry that a PSUL won’t pull off, but thankfully we headed over the flyover and onto the cross-city line, passing Aston and heading north, the first time since last march for me going up this line, and I forgot how open it suddenly becomes after Blake Street, going pass Lichfield City and onwards, the wires soon finishing after Lichfield Trent Valley and onto new track, not the most remarkable of track, a bit like the regular line, as it joined before running fast pass Burton-Le-Trent, must have been ahead of schedule as suddenly the engine in the rear car cut out (along with the power sockets & additional lighting), suddenly fell silence, before the engine kicked back into life on the approach to Derby.

Normally I could have crossed over and hopped onto another service bound for New Street, but when I was doing research I found the service from Nottingham which goes via the track between Kingsbury junction & Whitacre Junction, around the back of the triangle to go pass Coleshill Parkway, had no advance fares (nor any seat reservations available), but I noticed a return fare to Spondon was the same price as a return to Derby so it would be a bit foolish not to score a semi-limited service shack (looking at RTT it is probably best to hit Spondon early morning as 8 of the 15 trains call before 9:05 on a Saturday, with large 2-3 hour gaps between services. Anyhow winner 170521 rolled in to take me the 2 mile 50 chain journey to Spondon, old rusting tracks next to the running tracks which I’m guessing was for some old chemical works. Nothing else was happening so I stayed on the platform to await the service back to New Street.

Winner 170107 rolled in, and after fears that it would be rammed, standing room only, it was half-full, I managed to find a spare table seat (the leg room in the airline seats on a 170/1 I find are rubbish), so after a reversal it set off back towards New Street, it had gone dark so nothing to see, and arrived back into New Street, with last services being called. Strange to see a busy station like New Street departure boards looking empty. Last cross-city line track towards Lichfield had arrived and it was a winner, 323202 to take me back to Gravelly Hill, for a nice slow walk back to the hotel, a busy day with 21 new shacks cleared.

Sadly no photos for this report as I forgot to take them.
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Did the PSUL track happen on the way back to Birmingham?

Well done on such a productive trip around my part of the world, shame we couldn't have a full meet really. Never mind, we'll make up for it at the end of the month with the UKR tour. I must make sure I find the Costa at St Pancras before the tour off Kings Cross, not suffering Caffe Nero and most definitely not Frothbucks!

Talking of, I wonder where the rest stop is to be on that tour!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
I believe the rest stop is York

----

2nd August – A little trip to Manchester

The aim of today was to score both Styal station and also the airport avoider track on the Styal line, a nice quiet day compared to previous Sundays. After getting up and having my free breakfast in the little guest house in Birmingham, I walked back to Gravelly Hill station, to await the first Lichfield bound service of the day. Not the best place to stay if you want an early start as the first service towards New Street isn’t until after half-9, anyhow I jumped onto dud 323220 leading winner 323213 for the short hop up towards Lichfield to score my first new shack of the day at Erdington.

Under the footbridge and up to the other platform to wait the southbound service, as I alighted from 220/213 I heard a bang so it must have tripped something as it took around 5 minutes before it set off. Fresh dud 323202 (last train on the Saturday) arrived to take me to New Street, where I had a 40-odd minute gap before the Virgin service towards Edinburgh was due to depart, so after asking Techni, if he knew any little Tesco Express style stores around the city centre (so I can pick up an early lunch and some more drink), suggested a little Express near Moor Street, so that cut out some time. Back to New Street and down to the platforms to board dud 390047 (which only previously had on a small Preston – Wigan leap), taking my seat in C1. Seat reservations hadn’t downloaded (known fault with this unit, overhearing the train manager), so he was asking people to sit in their reserved seats. First stop was Wolverhampton; yes I was surprised it didn’t call at Sandwell & Dudley (Sunday thing?), and onwards to Crewe to arrive bang on time. Nice to see the works around Norton Bridge coming along well, after a spot of spotting of various units around the station (an ATW 150/153 on P12, a 221 sat on P7 with a 57 on P8).

On time, dud 175108 rolled in to take me towards Manchester Piccadilly, calling at Wilmslow along the way; first time doing the line between Crewe and Wilmslow in the light (previously had it coming back from Manchester on an evening), so it was good to see new scenery of Cheshire, and all the shacks along the way. Into Wilmslow on P1 (so happy days as it meant we would take the ‘Airport’ line), I do like the 175s, nice leg-room at the table seats which are firm but not that firm, only thing they lack is a wide window frame. Anyhow passing the lesser used station at styal as the train kept on the line as the regular line towards the Airport departed on the left, and onto new track (woohoo), and passing the little shacks along the way (which mostly look quite hard to get platform to platform), and with a couple minute wait outside the station, we arrived, pretty much bang on time.

Happy days, as it meant I could make a +3 for a service towards Alderly Edge via Stockport, formed of dud 323231 I took it to Wilmslow, where I had a 20 minute fester before the same unit was due back to head towards Piccadilly via the airport. Although I could have gave it a miss and did a spot of linear bashing to Stockport as 175108 arrived at Wilmslow a couple minutes before 323231 returned (so could have made that connection at Wilmslow, never mind).

After a mile and three quarters, 323231 pulled into my 2nd new shack of the day at Styal, which has the style, but not a lot else. I had a couple options here as Handforth looked close by map but according to Google to get to it by road involved a large loop, however looking at the “local area” map outside the station, it highlighted that yes there was no road, but there was a walking route between the stations, so I set off for a walk. Along the road pass the golf course and onto a farm track which soon gave away to a little footpath, slightly muddy and puddles due to the recent rain, but nothing that hard to pass, and then back onto a road in a housing estate, and following the signs found myself at Handforth station. Quite a nice looking station, with various name boards done up in the style of other railways (DLR, LU, Merseytravel, plus other foreign styles). I didn’t have long (well I did, 10 minutes) to wait before winner 323223 rolled in from Crewe to take me to another new shack of the day in the shape of Cheadle Hulme, the junction where the line towards Stoke departs from the line towards Crewe. I had 30 minutes to wait (didn’t really have much else to do), so after a visit to a little Tesco, I was back onto the curved platform with a large gap to board winner 323228 to Stockport.

I didn’t even have time to get the deckchair out as dud 150103 arrived with winner 150207 on the back from Buxton within a couple minutes, so I jumped onto 207 for the ride back to Piccadilly. Crossing over towards P13/P14 I spotted a required 350/4 pulling in on a service from Glasgow to the airport, so I jumped on board winner 350407 for the run down to the Airport. I had a few options for my next movement, a dud 319 was the first out, followed by a dud 185, after checking RTT to highlight that the stopper which was due in would be one of the units I previously had, I jumped back onto 350407 for the run back to Oxford Road. Across the footbridge to await the next Piccadilly bound service, and I got lucky as the first service was a pair of pacers on a Southport – Chester service, and both were winners, 142039 & 142061. As the 142s have a wide operating area, I decided to jump on board for the 43 chain leap back to Piccadilly.

RTT time, which suggested a connection could be made with the next Blackpool, bound TPE to a TPE from Blackpool, before I had to go. Annoyingly my last TPE 350/4 arrived in (and I didn’t fancy a +2 at the Airport for a 319 run to make a connection with the XC service towards Bristol), so I had to give it a miss. Next up was a winner 175 from Chester (grumbles) which terminated. Towards Southport rolled in a pair of dud 156s which I gave a miss, to be rewarded with winner 185144 for the short hop to Oxford Road, and dud 185132 back to Piccadilly.

Down to P7 (I think), and onto dud 220019, finding my table seat for the 82 mile 21 chain journey (if I managed to get rail miles working correctly) trip to Birmingham New Street, calling at Stoke & Wolverhampton, strangely omitting calling at Stockport & Stafford. Nice enough journey which was on time. With a planned hour to kill before the next service towards Reading, I headed to the Cross-city line platforms to board a quite busy dud 323241 for the run back to Erdington, crossing over the platform to be told “the next service is 6 cars, use the entire length of the platform when boarding” by the PA system, meant double the chance of a winner. Dud 323203 was leading with winner 323218 on the back. So it was back to New Street on a lively 218, after a brief moment of rest I was onto the platform where the service from Sheffield was to reverse to head towards Coventry, and it was dud 220008 (again).

Finding my seat and with a right time departure, but due to delays on the line we were held between Birmingham International & Coventry for around 5 minutes, before taking the mainly single line down to Leamington, passing a couple 68 hauled Chiltern silver sets (additional services due to the ping-pong at Wembley?), and I alighted at Oxford, ready for some turbo thrash back to Reading. This is when I looked at RTT and saw that the service to Basingstoke had been cancelled which was annoying. Anyhow at Oxford, the platform was quite busy, and announcements were made at trying to get passengers to stand back. Formed of 5 cars came on the display, and 165119 rolled in (causing everybody to dash towards it), followed by 165105 from Worcester. It was a busy service, and I felt the difference between a nice AC 220 to a 165 which had been sitting in the sun for an unknown amount of time. Departed around 10 minutes down, so I bailed at Didcot Parkway, mainly for a new shack and mainly for a spot of HST bingo.

Dud 43197 rolled in with required 43176 on the rear to take me to Reading, where I had a little bit of fester time, as for some reason the XC had been put behind the nearly-all station stopper, with the GWML being a 2-track railway between Reading & Didcot (everything in the reliefs), so it arrived a good 15 minutes after it was meant to have departed (and that includes a good lay-over to reverse). Winner 220001 took me down to Basingstoke where due to the late running we were put into platform 4 instead of going over the flat crossing to the east of the station. After a visit to the little Pizza takeaway outside the station, I settled down on the platform to eat the pizza and await the arrival of the service towards Exeter.

159018, 159107 & 158888 were the trio of units to take me back to Andover, running fast so the actual delay was only 55 minutes (the previous service I would have caught called at Overton & Whitchurch). A nice little drive home, the end of a good weekend :)

Anyhow some pictures
A Stylist 323231 at the style capital of Styal


I have no clue where I am:


The train approaching platform 3 does stop here!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
A nice little adventure there while I was a couple of hundred miles away north of your position!

Styal has long been on my list to do, mind you so are a lot of places!
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Kite, you have been busy of late. Almost as busy as me but somewhat more efficient at writing up your trip reports (I have two day trips to write up and not a prayer of doing so for several days yet).

I was particularly intrigued by your West Midlands wanderings with your coverage of shacks. You put me to shame!

Good luck with the next outing.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Kite puts me to shame too, I'd love to be able to go bashing more frequently! Mind you, in the next 6 weeks I've got 4 rather big trips coming up.

Mind you, after that there's nothing for ages, and if things go the way I'm expecting it could remain that way!
 

Kristofferson

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2012
Messages
1,132
Flipping 'eck Kite, you get around! Thoroughly enjoyed the Tarka Line report - request stops and shacks in the middle of nowhere are pretty alien to me, so certainly interesting reading about "old fashioned" railways!

Loved the photos throughout as well - again, the token change one was interesting indeed!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
A couple random pictures from some mid-week linear trips:
Mayflower getting ready to steam away from Basingstoke:

221135 sitting in Oxford platform 3, terminated due to the major disruption on Friday


8th August – A voyager of rediscovery part 1

Unusually today I wasn’t chasing shacks, nor chasing units, but undertaking a voyage of rediscovery, mainly wanting to do the line between Lancaster & Carlisle via the Cumbrian coast (of which the 37 loco hauled service might have had something to play with it), and the Settle & Carlisle line again (having done it northbound on a 70 hauled charter last year).

Due to engineering works closing the line between Salisbury & Andover, meaning the last service would terminate at Andover with a bus back to Grateley and to Salisbury, I decided to start my trip from Andover, so a nice early morning drive to Andover, where 159006 rolled in to take me to Waterloo, becoming my 3rd 159 cleared for 1000 miles. Arrival was early so as per usual we were held outside the station to await a Haslemere or Portsmouth bound service to clear the platform. Down to the underground where Northern line sets number 11 & 12 (yes, I’m going to start recording LU set numbers now, once I know what to look out for). Into Euston where I arrived just after 7am, giving me time to visit the shop for a newspaper. The 07:30 service to Glasgow was called as departing from platform 3 and was formed of dud 390040 (previously had coming back into Euston from Liverpool last September), where I had a seat in coach B reserved until Lancaster.

I decided to bail at Preston (I’m on a Freedom of the North West rover which I managed to get from the ticket office at Basingstoke the day before, one good thing which came from that day), thankfully the service was on time (I do like a non-stop Cave to Warrington run), so I could change platform and onto dud 185147 which was working a Blackpool North to Barrow in Furness service, thankfully I boarded at Preston as the train got quite busy at Lancaster. As there was a 35 minute gap between this service arriving into Barrow and the Carlisle train departing, I decided to make the most of the time and bailed at Roose, the stop before Barrow in Furness, and walked the 1.7 miles along the streets of Babylon, to Barrow in Furness station, via a Co-Op for some lunch. Saves a job for a later date as I arrived with 10 minutes to spare, to find my way onto the platform to use the subway to get to Platform 3, where winner (although the chances are it would be a winner as the only previous 37s I’ve had was a pair last April (although annoyingly I’ve only got 37612 down, with no reference to the other 37) when doing the Heart of Wales tour, and a 37 on the Wensleydale railway) 37423 was getting ready to depart with my first driving brake trailer (9707) on the rear.

Sadly the leading coach was busy, and the 2nd coach had no working AC (was like a sauna) so I found myself in the 3rd coach, a bit less noise from the 37, but still what a lovely noise, standing by the droplights was an amazing experience, along an utterly beautiful line, with stopping at every station on route (apart from Braystones & Nethertown), some was front 2 coaches only, some were rear 2 coaches only. Such a lovely trip, although after Maryport area it does get a bit boring when it heads in land. Arrival into Carlisle was a couple minutes early, just in time to see a Leeds bound service departing and also a Dumfries bound service departing (got to love the timetable connections, where the 37 would depart back to Barrow just as a service from Leeds and a service from Dumfries was arriving). Anyhow I had planned a little shack attack, so I jumped onto dud 350401 (although I’ve only ever had this unit on a Haymarket – Edinburgh leap, so a chance to put some miles onto it) for a short trip to Penrith North Lakes.

I had planned to have a 45 minute break here at Penrith as a northbound service was due to depart 2 minutes before the 350 had arrived, however the northbound service to Edinburgh was running 10 minutes late, so happy days as it was also a required 390, in the shape of 390137 which I took back to Carlisle. This also meant I could catch the earlier semi-fast service to Leeds which departed at the same time as the planned 390 would arrive (which would have also been a required unit). However checking RTT for options did highlight a northbound service at Appleby departing 10 or so minutes afterwards, however that didn’t connect into the southbound service in any way (the southbound service departed Langwathby a few minutes before the northbound arrived), so that was out, also a quick check down towards Settle found a service towards Leeds from Morecambe would depart Giggleswick 10 minutes after it would depart Settle (not to mention a Morecambe bound service departing Skipton 5 minutes before the semi-fast arrived, which is a bit rubbish as if the semi-fast called at either Long Preston/Hellifield or Gargrave passengers could make the connection to a Morecambe bound service without having a walk. Anyhow after grabbing some food from the little Tesco in Carlisle I headed to the bays where I noticed dud 158797 had arrived, which had the windows wide open (not a good sign).

Once everybody had alighted, the doors will locked and another 158 rolled in (from the sidings I would guess) and it was winner 158844 which I took a table seat on the right hand side and the service departed towards Leeds. Not the most scenic of routes at the start, a bit too much rubbish and urban, but it soon drops away to give some rather fantastic views, with some small stations sped pass as I decided to alight at Settle, just for the sake of alighting at the station. Nice little market town and a busy station when I got back to the station, standing on the footbridge just looking into nothing in particular, awaiting the arrival of dud 158797 to take me to Skipton, back underneath the wires, passing some 322s in the sidings, parked up for the weekend. Crossing over to the bay platform, I jumped onto winner 333002 on a Bradford bound service, alighting at Cononley, as I might as well get it out of the way so I can try and clear the 333 served shacks the next time I’m on a West Yorkshire rover. Level crossing shack, nothing else around to report, until winner 333010 rolled in to take me the 23 and a bit miles back to Leeds.

I had RTT open with a couple options for a quick spin to return in time for the final London train of the night, and required 142018 was sitting on a Huddersfield via Bradford service, so I jumped on board for the short run to Bramley, which isn’t as easy to cross over the platforms as Bramley in Hampshire (down a long ramp, across a busy road, up some long stairs), as I had a mild couple minutes wait before dud 158790 rolled in (previously had this unit doing the same run of Bramley to Leeds). The service to London Kings Cross was already on the platform (7), so it was easy enough to cross over from 11D back to board the MK4s, with new DVT 82229 up front with dud 91116 providing the power at the rear. I had a table to myself as the other passengers either didn’t turn up or decided to go to a quieter coach as there were a few football fans singing various songs (which thankfully got off at Doncaster). Nice enough run, apart from a 15 minute wait at Doncaster for the delayed service from Aberdeen (allowing passengers from that service to board for a couple of the stations between Doncaster & Peterborough as it was the final service). Down into Kings Cross, 20 minutes down but not really that bothered as I had 50-odd minutes before the final Andover service of the evening so to the underground.

Victoria line sets 59 & 60 (I believe, although I should know in future to take the last 3 numbers down) took me to Oxford Circus, where a Bakerloo set with 4352 included took me to Waterloo. A quick visit to the Tesco for a late night meal deal and I was back onto the concourse searching for any required SWT EMUs, keeping my eye on the suburban line platforms for the 455s (all duds), nothing of interest on the main-line side (mostly all 444s), and just as I was going to give up the search I went across to the Windsor line side to see what the units was on the next Windsor service, and my eyes lit up, dud 450115 was leading winner 450020, 10 to go, as I jumped on board for a spin to Clapham Junction, going via the subway to await the arrival of the final Andover service, which tonight was formed of 159020 in reverse formation (front class at country end). As per normal the train emptied out at Woking & Basingstoke, but was a nice run, with a nice drive home where unsurprisingly I beat the bus (which appeared to be a regular Stagecoach south single decker).

831 miles covered today which puts this day high up in the “distance covered in a single day” board, which excluding double backs (i.e. Penrith to Carlisle, Waterloo to Andover), puts it at a healthy 747 miles, which probably is my personal best.

350401 departing Penrith – The North Lakes


I had a score to settle at Settle:


9th August – A pacer of rediscovery part 2

It was back to the north west for me today, with the aim of going back over the line towards Leeds from Lancaster, going via Morecambe and the PSUL curve towards the WCML, bit of a later start for me as I drove back to Andover, and jumped onto 159006 (sensing a bit of déjà vu), this time only taking me to Clapham Junction (which knocked off 159002 from its position as long term most travelled 159). I was booked onto the 09:40 departure from Euston, so had around an hour to waste (was around 8:15), so I fired up RTT to see what London bound services (although that time of morning there wasn’t a lot floating around), my eyes focused on the Southern platform (everything was being put via P14/P15 this morning), a pair of dud 377/4s and a dud 455 later, with my eye keeping looking out on anything heading towards London Waterloo from P10, before my final 377/7 rolled up.

I wasn’t expecting to get 377706 this morning, working on a West Croydon – Victoria service , which I took to Victoria, nice little surprise for me. To the underground where instead of taking the Victoria line, I headed towards the SSL platform, where I jumped onto S7 stock 57 & 58 to St James Park, a few minutes later 41 & 42 took me to Temple, a pair of D-stock units (03 & 32) took me to Mansion House, with S7 70 & 69 taking me to Monument, where I transferred to the Northern line with set ending xxx21 & xxx22 to London Euston, 3 more LU shacks cleared along the circle line. Heading via Sainsburys to pick up some lunch (for later) and a reduced chicken fillet sandwich bun, I headed to P3, to board winner 390107. I was in seat C3, which is a table seat, with a limited view, and to give it a bonus the power sockets in that coach wasn’t working, so I went for a walk after departure and found a table seat which was “reserved”.

This is where I personally think the reservation system used on 22Xs is better when it would say “reserved from London Euston to Carlisle” where if you were boarding at say Milton Keynes and seeing that message above the seat you can safety assume you won’t be kicked out at say Crewe by someone saying “that is my seat”, whereas just saying “reserved” doesn’t give a lot of detail, could it be reserved from Euston to Milton Keynes with another reservation after that? Anyhow, sorry for the mild rant, but as this service seemed to take forever (slow track running after Rugby) to get to Warrington Bank Quay where I alighted to clear my last Virgin WC served WCML core route shack (Runcorn & Macclesfield remain on the branches).

Dud 390010 rolled in to take me to Preston, taking a seat in the new coach F as it was unreserved and was new (although the tables look like they have been in the wars), I alighted at Preston and went outside the station looking for the bus to Manchester Victoria via Bolton, where it was a coach, which had no leg-room whatsoever, which took me via road to Leyland, an interesting station with platforms on all 4 lines, I had a 15 minute wait before winner 156489 arrived with dud 150112 in tow to take me to Euxton Balshaw Land, not the easiest to get platform to platform as the ramps to leave the platform to the bridge are quite long, but I made it with time to spare to jump onto duds 142095 & 150133 back to Preston. I had a decision to make, as a Scotland bound TPE was running late, I could either wait to see if 350410 would produce, or jump onto the service towards Barrow. The service for Scotland must have arrived without me noticing as I was sat on dud 185114. Nice short run (if you can call 20 miles 71 chains short!) to Lancaster, and across to P2, where my heart stopped a bit when I saw what unit I would be on for the next ~ 2 hours, a 142. A unit which looked awfully familiar from Bramley on the Saturday, yep it was 142018, at least it was a 2+2 proper seated example, rather than a 3+2 bench seating unit.

Quite busy so I sat in the middle of the unit, keeping my eye out when it arrived into Morecambe for the usual turning out of passengers as some passengers from a bay got up to leave I got up and grabbed a bay seat on the right hand side in the direction of travel, if I was going to spend an hour and a half on a 142, I would want to be comfortable. Calling at Bare Lane, before it took the curve towards the WCML heading northbound, before accelerating, before coming away at Carnforth, and onwards towards Leeds via the “Little North Western” route, which is very remote in places and very beautiful. Eventually we reached the wires and I decided to ditch the pacer at Bingley, to leave 2 shacks on the Airedale line to get (Crossflats & Steeton & Silsden).

I had a 10 minute or so fester at Bingley before dud 333013 arrived to take me to Leeds, where I had a 50-odd minute fester before my booked train home (HST from Harrogate), with no real options at a quick spin using the more limited services operating on a Sunday, so I went to McDonalds for a bit of an early dinner, before heading towards the platform where the service was due to depart (having decided to book on the service from Harrogate rather than the earlier service from Leeds, due to wanting a HST. Winning power-car 43290 rolled in with dud 43028 behind, where it due to reverse, my assigned seat wasn’t the best, another aisle airline seat (does the VTEC seat selector not determine between a HST & Mk4s)? So I shifted towards the unreserved coaches, the train was busy due to a Hull Trains service being directed via Goole (so passengers from Selby were allowed to use VTEC). Nice enough run into Kings Cross, arriving a couple minutes early outside the station and having to wait to gain access to platform 0.

To the underground, where in the hour and 10 minutes I had to kill before the 21:15 service towards Andover, so I was going to do a couple shacks, firstly was set 53 & 54 to Pimlico with 29 & 30 carrying on to Stockwell, where I transferred to the northern line with XXX78 & XXX77 to the narrow island platform of Clapham North. Back north on XXX11 & XXX51 to Oval, with 13 & 12 to Kennington where I crossed over to the Charing Cross branch with 23 & 24 to Waterloo. To the main station to see what was floating around, few 455s duds on 1-4, but I wanted to see what 450s was on a departure to Basingstoke & Alton, the rear was 450003 with winner 450010 leading, which I took to Clapham Junction. 159104, 159015 & 158884 were the trio of diesels which took me back to Andover, the end of a busy weekend.

The wheels on the rail replacement coach go round and round:


A 185 rushing pass Leyland:

Leyland:


Euxton Balshaw Lane:


I wonder who lives in a place like this?
 

crehld

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2014
Messages
1,994
Location
Norfolk
I wonder who lives in a place like this?

:) :) :)

An excellent couple of days there. Hope you enjoyed my neck of the woods. I wasn't about when you came by but I'd you ever find yourself that way again do let me know.

I had the Hest Bank curve on the first journey I recorded, which was a simple move from the Crewe base to Hellifield. Completely agree about the little north western, it's underrated by many in my opinion. Pacers are the norm on a Sunday I'm afarid, although you were unfortunate with 142 as it's often a 144 on the Sunday run. Still 25 miles on a pacer of any class over jointed track is not good for the bones! Nor for the ears on that curve at Carnforth! At least the windows offer a good view.

Settle is a great place. Again underrated as everyone usually only gets as far as Skipton. There are some great walks to be had along the S&C as well!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
I will be back in the north west this coming Saturday making use of the 3rd day of the FONW rover, probably aiming for the Windermere branch, plus a couple other odds (Lockerbie & Dumfries)
 

crehld

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2014
Messages
1,994
Location
Norfolk
I will be back in the north west this coming Saturday making use of the 3rd day of the FONW rover, probably aiming for the Windermere branch, plus a couple other odds (Lockerbie & Dumfries)

Haven't done the Windermere branch yet so this would have been the perfect excuse. Unfortunately I'm not about :(
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
I'm surprised that you did not try to get the Clitheroe to Hell in a field line in the book on the Sunday only workings to /from the Settle & Carlisle. Unless times have changed, an overnight stay is needed for us southerners.

But good write up as ever and hope next weekend is just as productive.
 

crehld

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2014
Messages
1,994
Location
Norfolk
I'm surprised that you did not try to get the Clitheroe to Hell in a field line in the book on the Sunday only workings to /from the Settle & Carlisle. Unless times have changed, an overnight stay is needed for us southerners.

But good write up as ever and hope next weekend is just as productive.
The Hellifield to Clitheroe service is oddly better during winter Sundays (2 trains each way), and timed more conveniently for southerners needing to avoid an overnight stay:https://ribblevalleyrambler.wordpress.com/timetable/
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
A fantastic time had, shame you couldn't be right up front for a 37 as the noise from the front vestibule will have been hellfire!

I'll detail Tube bashing in more detail later, when I have data signal again!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You'll see why I didn't text you this lot Kite, it would have taken more than a few texts! If I've missed something I'm sure someone will be able to add or correct bits.

As promised here's some tips on Tube bashing!

The commonly and generally accepted standard is to record the end coach of a set in use, which by line will vary on the numbers you need. I would highly recommend getting a stocklist of LU sets as this will aid you most significantly. Let's chuck in some examples:

On the Northern line, trains run in pairs of sets, so here you would record the front and back coach. So on a recent move I did I recorded it as 51511+51512. Some sets are 517xx numbers as I believe these are de-icing sets. Your recent recording as xxx21 and xxx22 (or whatever it was exactly) could represent 51521 or 51621 hence the importance of a book to cross-reference these.

Obviously you're not always going to get a chance to note the numbers before boarding, but carriage numbers are normally found above the connecting doors, so if nowt else note this then cross-reference with your list to get the relevant number later.

Central line is a bit of a nightmare for bashing, as the trains are formed of quadruple 2-car sets. Imagine the difficulty of trying to get them all by pen and paper/tapping them into your phone as they rush into the platform! I would provide examples of the accepted standard for recording these, but I am without my 2013 ST Publications combine (which has them in and is my sole use of it these days) so to do that means waiting until I have time later/tomorrow.

It is a lot easier with S stock you'll be glad to know, although you've still got to be careful here. I see you noted the last two numbers only, so you're stepping in the right direction. Don't forget the Met uses S8 sets (pairs of 4-car sets) while the others use S7 sets (pairs of a 4-car set with a 3-car set). They're also still in the process of delivering them, a long way yet to go until the final pair, 21565+21566 arrive!

Again it is the accepted standard to record the end coaches here, an example from a Met bash recently would be 21108+21107. Which is one reason why you can't just do the last two numbers, as it could be 21007+21008 for all you know, or indeed 21307+21308 if it was an S7 set!

Piccadilly and Bakerloo lines, again it's the end coaches you want. I haven't a recent example (I will at the end of the month...) so no exact numbers to back me up here but a move would be noted as 3543+3447. Piccadilly uses 3 digit numbers, which is rather different to the rest of the Tube. There it could be 106+145+178, again no recent moves to quote.

D-stock won't matter to you soon, admittedly I'd love to have another ride on those. End coaches again, so an example from March would be something like 7036+7501. Memory tells me the 75xx numbers are de-icing units. Not for too much longer in this world are D-stock sets, so if you get a chance to have a ride on some go for it.

I think that will cover the basics, I hope this helps a bit!
 

crehld

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2014
Messages
1,994
Location
Norfolk
A fantastic time had, shame you couldn't be right up front for a 37 as the noise from the front vestibule will have been hellfire!

I'll detail Tube bashing in more detail later, when I have data signal again!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You'll see why I didn't text you this lot Kite, it would have taken more than a few texts! If I've missed something I'm sure someone will be able to add or correct bits.

As promised here's some tips on Tube bashing!

The commonly and generally accepted standard is to record the end coach of a set in use, which by line will vary on the numbers you need. I would highly recommend getting a stocklist of LU sets as this will aid you most significantly. Let's chuck in some examples:

On the Northern line, trains run in pairs of sets, so here you would record the front and back coach. So on a recent move I did I recorded it as 51511+51512. Some sets are 517xx numbers as I believe these are de-icing sets. Your recent recording as xxx21 and xxx22 (or whatever it was exactly) could represent 51521 or 51621 hence the importance of a book to cross-reference these.

Obviously you're not always going to get a chance to note the numbers before boarding, but carriage numbers are normally found above the connecting doors, so if nowt else note this then cross-reference with your list to get the relevant number later.

Central line is a bit of a nightmare for bashing, as the trains are formed of quadruple 2-car sets. Imagine the difficulty of trying to get them all by pen and paper/tapping them into your phone as they rush into the platform! I would provide examples of the accepted standard for recording these, but I am without my 2013 ST Publications combine (which has them in and is my sole use of it these days) so to do that means waiting until I have time later/tomorrow.

It is a lot easier with S stock you'll be glad to know, although you've still got to be careful here. I see you noted the last two numbers only, so you're stepping in the right direction. Don't forget the Met uses S8 sets (pairs of 4-car sets) while the others use S7 sets (pairs of a 4-car set with a 3-car set). They're also still in the process of delivering them, a long way yet to go until the final pair, 21565+21566 arrive!

Again it is the accepted standard to record the end coaches here, an example from a Met bash recently would be 21108+21107. Which is one reason why you can't just do the last two numbers, as it could be 21007+21008 for all you know, or indeed 21307+21308 if it was an S7 set!

Piccadilly and Bakerloo lines, again it's the end coaches you want. I haven't a recent example (I will at the end of the month...) so no exact numbers to back me up here but a move would be noted as 3543+3447. Piccadilly uses 3 digit numbers, which is rather different to the rest of the Tube. There it could be 106+145+178, again no recent moves to quote.

D-stock won't matter to you soon, admittedly I'd love to have another ride on those. End coaches again, so an example from March would be something like 7036+7501. Memory tells me the 75xx numbers are de-icing units. Not for too much longer in this world are D-stock sets, so if you get a chance to have a ride on some go for it.

I think that will cover the basics, I hope this helps a bit!

Thanks Tech - incredibly useful info for me too :)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
I'm surprised that you did not try to get the Clitheroe to Hell in a field line in the book on the Sunday only workings to /from the Settle & Carlisle. Unless times have changed, an overnight stay is needed for us southerners.

But good write up as ever and hope next weekend is just as productive.

Did that route last year on a charter to the S&C :) (behind a roary 70)

Thanks for the tube advice Techi, I've been sent a sheet from Brian so I know what to look out for :)

-----------

I'm tempted by this rail tour in January next year: http://www.pathfindertours.co.uk/index.php/tour-calendar-reader/events/the-mini-tug.html

However I'm trying to work out how on earth I can reach a pick-up station in the early morning, without an overnight stay (as I can imagine hotels for the 1st January will be quite pricy). Best I can come up with is to drive to Reading and catch the 05:54 Great Malvern service to Worcester, although IIRC Reading station car-park is rather expensive for parking (anybody got any hints of cheaper all-day parking around Reading area?)
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Glad the Tube bits there were helpful crehld and Kite, any questions fire away :)

I like the sound of that tour for the freight branches, Round Oak has been one I've wanted to do for a long time. I have severe doubts as to being able to do it mind, as it's just after New Year which I'm sure is blocked to holiday time.
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
The commonly and generally accepted standard is to record the end coach of a set in use, which by line will vary on the numbers you need. I would highly recommend getting a stocklist of LU sets as this will aid you most significantly. Let's chuck in some examples:

On the Northern line, trains run in pairs of sets, so here you would record the front and back coach. So on a recent move I did I recorded it as 51511+51512. Some sets are 517xx numbers as I believe these are de-icing sets. Your recent recording as xxx21 and xxx22 (or whatever it was exactly) could represent 51521 or 51621 hence the importance of a book to cross-reference these.

Obviously you're not always going to get a chance to note the numbers before boarding, but carriage numbers are normally found above the connecting doors, so if nowt else note this then cross-reference with your list to get the relevant number later.

Central line is a bit of a nightmare for bashing, as the trains are formed of quadruple 2-car sets. Imagine the difficulty of trying to get them all by pen and paper/tapping them into your phone as they rush into the platform! I would provide examples of the accepted standard for recording these, but I am without my 2013 ST Publications combine (which has them in and is my sole use of it these days) so to do that means waiting until I have time later/tomorrow.

It is a lot easier with S stock you'll be glad to know, although you've still got to be careful here. I see you noted the last two numbers only, so you're stepping in the right direction. Don't forget the Met uses S8 sets (pairs of 4-car sets) while the others use S7 sets (pairs of a 4-car set with a 3-car set). They're also still in the process of delivering them, a long way yet to go until the final pair, 21565+21566 arrive!

Again it is the accepted standard to record the end coaches here, an example from a Met bash recently would be 21108+21107. Which is one reason why you can't just do the last two numbers, as it could be 21007+21008 for all you know, or indeed 21307+21308 if it was an S7 set!

Piccadilly and Bakerloo lines, again it's the end coaches you want. I haven't a recent example (I will at the end of the month...) so no exact numbers to back me up here but a move would be noted as 3543+3447. Piccadilly uses 3 digit numbers, which is rather different to the rest of the Tube. There it could be 106+145+178, again no recent moves to quote.

D-stock won't matter to you soon, admittedly I'd love to have another ride on those. End coaches again, so an example from March would be something like 7036+7501. Memory tells me the 75xx numbers are de-icing units. Not for too much longer in this world are D-stock sets, so if you get a chance to have a ride on some go for it.

I think that will cover the basics, I hope this helps a bit!

I have created a separate thread here on recording tube stock. Feel free to comment, enhance etc.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
Random picture from a little linear bash to clear the GWML local shacks between Didcot & Reading:



Part of me is thinking is it worth driving the extra miles to Bristol Parkway station for that tour on the 2nd January, clears the worry of any engineering works messing up the timings of Reading to Worcester services.


----

A couple random pictures from a little trip last Friday to get the Didcot - Oxford local shacks out of the way, harder than it looks due to alternating stopping patterns, close together by rail, by road just forget it (I think it was something silly like 1 mile between Appleford & Culham, but over 5 miles by road due to a river crossing.

165116 running away to Oxford after departing Appleford (middle of nowhere)


Please stand clear of the platform edge, the next service is not scheduled to call at this station:


I would imagine that road bridge will need to be made taller when the wires come around, but all those shacks are cleared, just 2 more shacks west of reading to clear in the "Thames Valley" area (which are Evesham & Pershore) so some good 180 mileage
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
15th August – Stuck outside the station awaiting a platform

Today was a day planned late to make use of a spare day on a FONW rover from the previous week, hence the reason for the early start, the 5:40 XC from Basingstoke, formed of dud 220003 for the long ride (just shy of 196.25 miles as I make it) on a table seat all the way to Manchester Piccadilly. Yes 4 and a bit hour on the same voyager, how lucky for me. The original idea was to ditch the Voyager at Stockport and change over to the Liverpool bound EMT set (for a chance of a quick hop to Deansgate on a Liverpool bound northern service if required). All was going well, pausing briefly at the disused Norton Bridge to await a green signal to cross over (a delay which will be soon in the pass once the flyover opens), until we were held outside Stockport station for 5 minutes awaiting a platform as the double pacer from Chester arrived 5 minutes down, by the time we were allowed in, the EMT was long gone, and put into the fasts to overtake the stopper.

Across to P14 at Piccadilly to await the TPX to Blackpool, and it was a pair of 156s, sadly both duds 156423 (which only previously appeared on a Oxford Road – Piccadilly leap) & 156452 (A nice run from Liverpool to Huyton), so I took a seat in 423, only because it was empty (and 452 was looking rather full), for the nice run to Wigan North Western for some sprinter thrash. Next service northbound was a Virgin, which was required as it met up with a Windermere service at Preston, and happy days it was when winner 390009 rolled in, it was a tad busy, but I managed to get a seat after asking a passenger to remove his bag from the seat.

Arriving at Preston with time to spare, allowing me to grab a quick meal-deal from the station shop, before heading to dud 185127 (another low mileage 185 with only an Airport – Piccadilly leap), so a nice run up the West Coast Main-line, the train getting busy at Lancaster, so I was happy I boarded at Preston where it started from, scoring the micro-grind of the connection to the branch line from the main-line at Oxenholme Lake District. Staying on board onto the single track branch line towards Windermere where I alighted at the last intermediate shack at Staveley. Nice enough little station on top of a bridge, so no disabled access, not any real features, apart from an electronic timetable display. Nothing much in the area around the station so I headed back and onto 185127 back towards Oxenholme, where I alighted at Burneside, the middle of the 3 stations. Why alight at Burneside, well the original idea was to go back to Kendal, then catch the same unit back to Burneside and then back to Oxenholme, however some services on Saturdays skip Burneside & Staveley. Thankfully it was sunny so I went for a walk (there looks like to be a bus service to Kendal as well).

2.5 miles (and a bit for a diversion into Kendal shopping to see if I could grab something for food and a nice cold drink) later I arrived at Kendal for a brief fester before 185127 arrived to take me back to Oxenholme, where I had a choice of 3 units northbound (2 Virgins, and 1 TPX). First Virgin was running late, and was a dud so I let that go, to be given dud 390135 for the 50 mile trip north to Carlisle, at least it clears 135 for 10 miles as my only other pervious on it was a Manchester – Stockport leap. Into Carlisle onto platform 4 so it was a bit of a think, either do a Scotrail service to Dumfries and try and clear the shacks on the southern end of the Glasgow line (Gretna Green & Annah) or stick to my original plan and get Lockerbie out of the way.

My decision was made as the 156 was a dud, so I crossed over to the island platform and awaited dud 350405 for the 25 and 3 quarters speed run to Lockerbie, just clears it out of the way, although it does give a 40 minute fester, which I used the time to visit the Tesco and have a little look around the town, before heading back to the station to await the Manchester bound service. Duds 350404 & 350407 took me back to Carlisle where I had 2 options, either the 156 to Dumfries and back, or the Northern 158 to Settle for a walk to Giggleswick to get back onto the last Lancaster service of the day. Annoyingly both services were duds, but I decide to treat myself to dud 158843 for the ride down the Settle & Carlisle line on the semi-fast service, alighting at Settle for a walk. It is such a beautiful line (in places), always worth a visit on a beautiful day. Phone out of pocket with directions to Giggleswick station around a mile away, and 20 minutes or so later I was at Giggleswick my 5th new shack of the day. Very basic station, barrow crossing at one end, no shelter on the Lancaster bound platform, so I decided to give the NRDMUG a quick spin...

....with no luck as dud 144015 arrived for the bouncing ride back to Lancaster where it joined up with a trio of 153s before heading to Morecambe. Over to the main southbound platform to await the arrival of the fast Euston service, and it was a winner, 390130 which is always good for the 20 mile run down to Preston where I had an option of a TPX service to Wigan North Western (front unit from Blackpool, rear from Windermere), and both units were dud, so I decided to give them a miss to see which 390 would be taking me back to Watford via Birmingham. As my assigned seat was C3, which is truly awful (one of the table seats with a view of plastic), I decided to head straight towards the unreserved coaches. Winner 390131 rolled in for the near 200 mile run. I managed to grab a table seat in coach U (which was good) as it set back via Wolverhampton (a pair of required 170/5s rolled in when we were waiting at Wolverhampton and a dud 221) before continuing down south, down the slows on the WCML after Milton Keynes, which did mean less of a walk at Watford Junction from P9 to P10 where dud 377701 was waiting on the Selhurst service, so I got straight onto the 377 for the slow trip to a busy Clapham Junction, where thanks to the rugby meant strengthen services, i.e. 12 cars to Alton (normally a 4), 10 cars to Southampton (normally a 5), I did hang around to see what was on the trio heading to Alton, but all were dud, so I jumped to Sainsburys for a quick meal-deal and back onto the station as long-term absence and lowest miles 159 rolled in (159103) along with 159108. Taking a seat in the refitted 159103 to just see what the changes were it had doing when out in Loughborough. New seat bases (quite hard thick foam), door buzzers you could hear from outer space, a new toilet base, and sadly the loss of 2 tables in the First/Standard coach, due to a larger area being put in for a wheelchair (which also meant the little luggage rack was rather useless at the bottom was full of boxes).

Nice enough run to Basingstoke, where a few minutes later I had walked to the car for the long drive home. The end of an unusual day, only 3 new units, but some new shacks which is always a bonus as it clears the Windermere branch and also Lockerbie which isn’t the easiest to do, anyhow some pictures:

185127 departing Staveley:

Kendal area:



Lockerbie:



Giggleswick:


My favourite place to sit... gone :( (on 159103)


18th August – A positioning move to Paddington for the sleeper[/b]

A short linear bash was the name of the game, with my bike in hand to clear some of the remaining shacks on the SWML before a forum meal in the Wimbledon area and to get to Paddington for the Night Riviera, so to Grateley with 159021 & 159009 taking me eastwards to Woking, crossing over to P1 and onto a trio of dud 450s (450546, 450560 & 450001) to get my first new shack in, Walton on Thames. Around 10 minutes later winner 455722 arrived with dud 455719 in tow to take me the 1 mile 13 chain leap to Hersham

Time to unfold the bike for a quick ride to the next station eastwards, although nearly ended in hospital as I hit the kerb at a low speed at such a time where I went arse over end and came off, bit of blood on my arms, but thankfully I was wearing my coat at the time so it wasn’t so bad, leg had a little cut, but again nothing serious. No idea why I hit the kerb, but it was bigger than normal. Anyhow, a bit shaken (but not stirred) I arrived at Esher with duds 455715 & 455907 taking me to Surbition where I alighted to await the service from Hampton Court. Winner 455850 and dud 455867 took me forward to the half-hourly shack of Berrylands where it was another bike ride to New Malden, nice enough ride along some cycle paths. Next up was duds 455858 & 455849 to Raynes Park, where I worked out I had 3 shots at a required unit to take me to Wimbledon. I only needed one shot at the wheel of requirements, as dud 455714 rolled in with winners 456002 & 456015 in tow, for the 1 mile 32 chain leap to Wimbledon which took around 10 minutes due to congestion.

Back to the station after the forum meal, and duds 455871 & 455904 took me to Clapham Junction with dud 378227 taking me to West Brompton, where I changed to the District line. S7 stock 369 & 370 took me forward to High Street Kensington, before a circle line service formed of 349 & 350 took me to Bayswater with 421 & 422 of the circle line taking me to Paddington, where I made use of the First Class lounge for a quick snack and can of pop before heading to the sleeper, being hauled tonight by 57604 Pendennis Castle. The route it took was via the Berks & Hants line towards Taunton (looked like was booked to pause at Westbury, but RTT suggests it went via the Westbury avoider). As like before I slept on and off in my solo cabin, but managed to get some sleep before being woken with breakfast (nice bacon roll) around the St Austell area, where I awoke to find the weather doing a complete change. Nice and sunny on the Tuesday, horrible and wet on the Wednesday.

19th August – A wet and windy Cornish trip

Alighting from the sleeper at Penzance, to have a quick walk/push to the little Tesco to pick up some supplies before heading back to a wet Penzance station, watching a dud 221 departing on the 08:27-ish service towards Glasgow Central, as my eyes was set on the 08:44 service towards Paddington, single ticket to St Erth in hand as the Ride Cornwall isn’t valid until 09:00, as dud 43021 was leading winner 43179. Nice bit of time to give my phone a quick charge as I alighted at St Erth to await the service towards St Ives from Penzance.

Micro-grind time as duds 150104 & 150202 rolled into St Erth platform 2, and using the connection line to the St Ives branch (used by a handful of services to/from Penzance), anyhow, pausing briefly at both Lelant stations before I alighted at my first new shack of the day at Carbis Bay for a brief wait before the same duo came back from St Ives to drop me off at the request stop at Lelant, bike unfolded and I was ready to get a bit wet in a mad cycle to the other Lelant station, Lelant Saltings inside the 12 minutes allowed. Made it with time to spare, a bit dripping as 150104 & 150202 rolled back in from St Erth to take me to St Ives, and back to St Erth on a non-stop run. St Ives branch cleared of shacks. At St Erth a London Paddington service was due, however this one didn’t call at Hayle, so it was back on my bike for another wet ride to Hayle.

Quite a basic station, where I had a 45 minute fester before the next service (just gets it out of the way), it had little waiting shelters on the up platform, however with wide open gaps where windows I assume once were meant they were rather useless at keeping the rain out, no seats inside meant I was standing against the wall for the time, watching the non-ending rain. Duds 43025 & 43063 took me forward the 5 miles, 71 chains to the next station at Camborne. The original plan was to ride to the next station (Redruth), but that got put on hold due to being wet, and with my phone deciding it wasn’t a phone, but a tea-pot, and deciding not to work. Anyhow 40 minute wait later and duds 150244 & 153369 rolled in to take me back east to Liskeard.

The rain had thankfully stopped as I made my way over to platform 3, as dud 150248 rolled in on the Looe service, with an hour to kill before the certain Looe service which went 9 chains further and into the platform at the 5th least used station in 2013/14 (according to the ORR usage figures), so I took the 150 requesting for the train to call at Sandplace, a very quiet and remote station, but with a guess at a connection which can be made to the next station northbound, however I wouldn’t recommend it, narrow lanes with high hedges meant I had no GPS signal (nor any mobile signal for that matter), so it was a guess at how far I should go, before I let out a sigh of relief when I reached the basic remote shack at Causeland, to request the train to call as I went back to Liskeard. Not stopping at the other intermediate station at St Keyne Wishing Well Halt in either direction. I stayed on board at Liskeard as 150248 went back towards Looe, this time going that little bit further as I jumped out (only passenger doing so) at Coombe Junction Halt.

However when I alighted, I noticed my back wheel of my bike was flat, so it was a long push, up the never ending hill (little hint for anybody wanting to do Coombe, is to head down from Liskeard), but I made it to Liskeard and with the rain starting again, I went down to jump onto dud 150130 for the ride to St Germans, with a 50 minute fester in a station without much around, before 153369 & 150244 rolled back in from Plymouth, to take me back west to the request stop in the middle of nowhere at Menheniot.

20 minutes late, 150244 & 153369 rolled back in to take me to St Budeaux Ferry Road, the lesser used of the 2 St Budeaux stations. Exiting the station to go over the road bridge and down to the other platform, to jump back onto 150130 to take me back west to Saltash, just over the Prince Albert Bridge. Exiting the station and eventually finding my way to the bus stop to jump onto First bus 48229 on a route 1 to Plymouth city centre, as I wanted to go over the Tamar Bridge, and it brought back memories of a few weeks ago when I rode from Plymouth to St Budeuax Victoria Road. Jumping off the bus at Plymouth station and onto the station, where I spotted a required 221 waiting on the next XC service gave me a puzzle as it gives a 4 minute connection at Exeter for a Waterloo bound service. Thankfully the Paddington HST from Penzance was formed of winners 43078 & 43087, I was going to jump at Newton Abbot, but when checking RTT saw that the XC was running 4 minutes late, so stayed on board.

Alighting at Exeter, and across to P1 to wait as 159007 rolled in, the doors weren’t released and 158887 rolled in to join up. Getting a seat in 007 as 887 comes out of service at Salisbury, for the long trip back east to Grateley, arriving back as the rain was still going, getting home and the first task was a nice warm shower to warm myself up before having some food (doing my best Swedish chef impression). 12 new shacks meant today was successful, clearing 4 limited service shacks was a bonus.

Anyhow some pictures:
57604 at Penzance:

A Voyager departing to Glasgow:

Carbis Bay:


Coombe Junction Halt:


A camping coach at St Germans:


St Budeaux Ferry Road


20th August – The New Guildford & Mole Valley lines

A nice easy day off to try and do some SWT & Southern shacks on the New Guildford line & the Mole Valley lines, however it turned into a bit chaotic when I rolled up at Grateley to hear the “we are sorry for the delay for your journey” from the road-bridge, to find delays, due to trespassers at Farnborough area. The 11:59 service was delayed by 25 minutes, the unit which formed the service only went towards Salisbury at around 11:50. I noticed the previous evening that the TVM was “out of service” so I was careful when buying my tickets to have a separate order for the ticket from Grateley. The later start was so I could attempt a bike repair and to recover from my long day yesterday.

12:25 rolled around and 159009 rolled in, making up a bit of time until it reached Worthing junction, where it took 20 minutes to reach Basingstoke. Sped up a bit after Basingstoke only to slow down again and taking ~ 30 minutes to get from Pirbright Junction to Woking where the train terminated 70 minutes down. To platform 3 where duds 455723 & 455849 was waiting to set off on a stopper, although departing 5 minutes late, meant my connection at Surbiton would be missed. I was originally going to jump on one of the semi-fast to Surbiton, but they were either cancelled or running fast to Waterloo.

At Surbiton, I had a 27 minute fester before the next Guildford bound service, formed of duds 455723 & 455736 which took me to Hinchley Wood, where I set off for a walk to Claygate a mile or so away. Duds 455849 & 455858 rolled in to take me to Cobham & Stoke d’Abernon with duds 455850 & 455867 back to Oxshott. Winner 456007 with duds 456024 & 455734 taking me to Effingham Junction. Dud 455703 with winner (and final 455/9) 455917 took me to Horsley. 455858 & 455849 (again) took me back east towards Ashtead[./b]. Brief wait before duds 455918 & 455862 rolled in on a SWT service which calls at Box Hill & Westhumble (as the majority don’t call there during the week). Southern dud 455821 rolled in to take me south to Warnham, nice bit of speed run on a 455, as I alighted crossing over the platform to jump onto winner 377416 to take me to Holmwood. Dud 455824 rolled in to take me to Ockley with 455821 returning to take me to Dorking, another good speed run on a 455.

Crossing over the platforms at Dorking to jump onto 455704 & 455909 for a nice run to Epsom, with a tight connection before jumping onto 455864 & 455725 to Bookham. Bit of a wait before Southern winner 455836 & 455801 took me to Leatherhead where I had a few options, made easier when dud 377626 and winner 377616 rolled in to take me to Ashtead, and duds 377621 & 377602 took me back to Leatherhead. Next SWT service to Guildford was a 455-456-456 combo, with dud 456017 leading winner 456012 with dud 455724 at the rear to take me to Clandon with a mild wait before duds 455723 & 455736 took me to London Road (Guildford), where I set off for a walk to Guildford station itself. Arriving with time to spare, to board 444038 for the 6 mile spin to Woking, with dud 455868 & winner 455856 taking me to my final SWML shack at Byfleet & New Haw. The rain was starting as I jumped onto 455851 & 455709 to take me back to Woking, before 159010 & 159005 took me back to Grateley, running a few minutes late, but not as bad as some of the London bound services, the delays from earlier in the day causing chaos for the long single track sections west of Salibury . But I had somehow managed to finish on time, with all my wanted shacks covered. Epsom to Horsham covered, plus the Guildford locals, so overall a good day.

21st August – A Southern Daysave which went wrong

If you look at a network map of Southern, there are 4 shacks which have the limited service symbol which are only served by Southern (so ignoring the once/twice a day calls at the likes of St Denys), my aim for today was to try and clear 3 of those, plus finish off the coastway east (Rye, Appledore & Ham Street), with maybe some local shacks between Horsham & the boundary of zone 6. At first it was going well, with FGW’s 158954 taking me the 8 miles to Southampton Central, where I had a winning 377 on a Victoria bound service (winner 377129), however checking RTT picked up one of the London Bridge - Horsham diagrams had been cancelled, the one which calls at Faygate.

So my plan was thrown out of the window, made so when I spotted one of my last 2, 313s rolling towards Portsmouth at Chichester, so I bailed at Barnham and onto dud 377131 back to Chichester to do some movements. Dud 313205 on a Brighton – Portsmouth service took me to Southbourne where winner 377443 took me back to Chichester. Dud 313212 linked in with the required unit, which I jumped off at Fishbourne (should have stayed on until Nutbourne), to wait as winner 313206 rolled in to take me to Chichester. I hung around to see what the next 377 to London would be, but that was dud, so I went for a quick walk to search for food. Little hint, avoid the sandwiches in the shop opposite the station as they are crap.

Back to the station, and dud 313205 took me for a nice speed run to Angmeing, where I bailed, with a brief pause before winner 377144 rolled in to take me to my first new shack of the day at Preston Park, bike unfolded for the long hill up and down to reach Brighton station. When rolling towards Hove, I was keeping an eye out to see if 313202 would make an appearance, but sadly I didn’t spot it. At Brighton, I had a couple options to get to Lewes, the 313 on a stopper was dud, so was a 171 to Ashford. I decided to jump onto 171724 for a run to Polegate, to make use of the Co-Op outside the station for some food and drink.

Onto Polegate station, passengers for Pevensey & Norman’s bay should join the rear 3 coaches, so I set off on dud 377462 for the run down to Eastbourne where the service reversed calling at Pevensey & Westham before making the call at Pevensey Bay, I could either wait for a Brighton bound service which had a +2 at Pevensey & Westham, or cycle back to Pevensey & Westham, little bit of advice is to avoid the instructions given by Google as it’s via a field & churchyard, best to keep to the road.

My phone decided to do a restart which meant I jumped onto 377106 blind, sadly it was a dud unit, but it took me to Eastbourne, a station last used to change back in 2013 time before I logged my trips. Anyhow I didn’t have long to wait before 171726 rolled in towards Ashford, the guard mentioning that the service might be terminated at Hastings due to points failure east of Hastings, so I felt a bit down (a bit like my phone, where foolishly I forgot to pack a plug for the charger cable, and my power-pack was a bit flat), but thankfully when we rolled into Hastings, the points had been fixed and we carried on (getting busier as the passengers from 171724 on the previous service which terminated at Hastings, boarded), as I alighted at Three Oaks. Bike unfolded for the short ride to a certain station. A couple narrow lanes and a slight uphill, before a massive downhill section as I found Doleham, which gets a bare handful of services a day, which the most are either early morning or late evening.

A very basic shack, not hard to see why it only sees the number of services it does as there isn’t anything around in the valley, a few houses and that is it. Anyhow I think I gave the guard of dud 171730 a shock when he had to open the local door at Doleham as “nobody ever boards or alights at Doleham”. I took a seat on the mostly empty former SWT 170 unit [I can’t recall ever catching one of the SWT 170s when they were running in this area years ago] and I alighted at Ham Street. Thinking it was odd that 171726 hadn’t passed us on route, only for it to speed non-stop through Ham Street a few minutes later, lights off inside and out of service. The 18:03-ish peak-time extra to Rye disappeared from the PIS, only to reappear a few minutes later as heading to Eastbourne, and when 171730 arrived, it was hard to get on, full and standing (being the first Southern service from Ashford for a few hours it seems), I ditched my idea of ditching at Rye and heading back to Appledore, as it wasn’t heading back. So I alighted at Hampden Park, and the next Victoria service being formed of dud 377126 & winner 377153 I jumped on. Having a quick look at RTT saw that this service called at Cooksbridge and a connection could be made with a Lewes service which would connect with a service towards Brighton which could connect with the final Southampton service.

So I stayed on and scored my 3rd limited service shack at Cooksbridge, crossing over and waiting for a delayed dud 377133 & 377159 to Lewes, meant I missed the potential of an unknown 313 stopper, but was instead rewarded with winner 171722 back to Brighton, to find that the west coastway was in chaos, a broken down train meant the 20:30 had been cancelled, so after a suggestion from the station staff put me onto a Thameslink branded service, formed of winner 377516 & dud 377520 (2 more 377/5s to go!) to Three Bridges, having just missed a Horsham stopper (was thinking of a quick shack at Crawley), before busy duds 377150 & 377413 rolled in, normally they would detach at Horsham with 150 running fast to Barnham, but for some reason the split didn’t happen (staff shortage?) and it was a long and painful trip stopping at pretty much every station between Horsham & Fareham, and rolling into Southampton 20-odd minutes late.

I was thinking I had missed the last Romsey train, and so would be taxied (although a passenger opposite me was trying to get back to Weymouth, no chance of that at 11pm, closest you would probably get is Poole with a taxi to Weymouth), but there was one final Salisbury train, so I made use of the time to get a Subway from outside the station before jumping onto low millage 158886 back to Romsey.

5 new shacks covered, including 3 limited service ones, not the best result, but with Preston Park done means the BML south of Gatwick is covered, just leaving Plumpton in that area, plus Rye & Appledore out east (a job for a Sunday me thinks). Faygate and the others on the Horsham metro could probably be done on a linear bash in an evening peak.

Anyhow some pictures:
Surprisingly I wasn’t the only person alighting at Pevensey Bay:


But I was the only sole around Doleham!


Big hill:


-------------

22nd August – Woodham’s Phoenix Railtour

My first rail-tour for a couple months, plus a UK Railtours tour which didn’t have an early start in London, as it came west, allowing me to pick it up at Reading, but still an early start for the 5:59 service to Basingstoke with 159016 adding to its total, a dud 165 was on the FGW service, so I gave that a miss to wait for the XC service. Winner 220010 was on the 06:47 departure (6 more 220s to get!) so a nice little ride to Reading, where I was going to jump onto the Newbury stopper for a short run to Theale to see what would tip up. One of my last 2 FGW 165s (165101) was on the following Bedwyn service, which I couldn’t get, but instead I was given a required 166.

166203 was on the Newbury service (3 to go), which I took for a short run to Theale. The little used ‘temporary’ platform put in on the freight line when Reading was closed still exists (will it be a temporary platform which will eventually be forgotten about?). Dud 165114 took me back to Reading, where after a visit to Boots and the Land’s End Pasty shop (can’t beat the home-made sausage bap). To platform 14 to await the arrival of the charter service, which was formed of winners 66113 and 66116 on the back, getting a bit confused when looking for coach F, as it turned out to be a First class coach. Nice little bonus with the larger chairs with proper armrests. Nice easy trip in the relief lines and pausing briefly in a goods loop west of Didcot for a passing HST, before picking up at Swindon and running fast via Bristol Parkway for some tunnel thrash, and pausing at Newport having arrived a bit early.

Next stop after Newport after running pass Cardiff (going slowly), the new platform slowly taking shape, before coming off onto the line towards Barry, passing the likes of Grangetown & Barry Docks before coming off the tracks at Barry and into the “long siding” next to Barry station, where the service reversed and onto the Barry Tourist Railway tracks, running alongside the main NR rails to the end of the line at Gladstone Bridge before another reversal taking us to the main shed area where 66113 was detached and former Gatwick Luggage van 489110 was attached in its place before continuing down towards the viaduct, before another reversal to take the train to the Waterfront station, if you could call it a station, a platform in the middle of a building site.

Another reversal back to the main track and back to the main-shed, where 66116 was detached and replaced with former Eurostar thunderbird 73118 to take us over the viaduct to the end of the line, calling at both Plymouth Road and Barry Island, the distance between the platforms being tiny. After a brief photo shot, a 101 set called “Iris 2” formed of RDS 977963+RDB 977964 arrived, where I gave the first couple runs a miss as it departed rather full. After a brief look around the seaside resort, and grabbing some food from a fish & chip shop, and eating it looking at the beach, before I headed back to the station where i managed to grab a ride on that 101 to the Main Shed Platform. An interesting set where the majority of seats was first class (or club class). I had a couple runs before it finished at Barry Island.

30 minutes to kill on a hot & humid day, so to grab a couple drinks before the tour departed back over the viaduct to the main shed, where the 489 & 73 was detached, with one of the 66s put onto the front, where it ran (avoiding the track next to Woodham Halt) to the end at Gladstone bridge, where we could alight and wait as the other 66 was attached, taking us back via the link to the long siding and then back onto the main-network. Back towards Cardiff and taking the curve towards Ebbw Vale, before coming away onto the branch which led towards Machen Quarry, a nice enough freight line, although it was a thunderstorm with a bit of rain. A final reversal at the quarry and back out to the main network, taking the curve between Park Junction & Gaer Junction leading towards Newport, where the first set-down station was.

Next up was Swindon, where we departed a few minutes early, giving me a little hope of being able to grab the 20:38 service to Basingstoke, sadly we slowed down outside Didcot, and even some main-line running meant the delay at Didcot meant it wasn’t to 20:41 when we rolled in. Ah well, that was always going to be the longest of long shots, 2nd option was a dud XC, and with the Bedwyn service being a dud, meant I had 20 minutes of festering time before dud 165137 rolled up to take me to Basingstoke, where after a KFC I was back to the station which was seeing some large delays, I was expecting the worst, but 159006 was only delayed for 5 minutes, dropping me off at home, the end of a very interesting day in Wales.
Some pictures:
66113 leading the train into Reading:

Pacer land!


The new 3rd platform at Barry:

66116 at the Waterfront (station – seemingly quite far from any actual water)


My name is Barry and I live on an island

Served by Pacers


73118


(lots more pictures here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/27666294@N02/albums/72157657757717965)
----------

23rd August – A trip to Chiltern land

To Andover to meet up with the 07:03 service to Waterloo, formed this morning of 159001 moving it ever closer to the magical thousand with a good 66 and a quarter mile trip to Waterloo, where we arrived a few minutes earlier than expected which was always a bonus as it allowed me to purchase my required tickets from the guard on the train. To the Bakerloo where sets 554 & 231 took me to London Marylebone where I was hoping to score my remaining Chiltern shacks south of Banbury. First service of the day was dud 168107 to my first new shack of the day in the shape of Gerrards Cross. My bike was unfolded and ready for a ride, which I took for an enjoyable ride to Seer Green & Jordans, with the world’s longest road from the main-road to the station platforms, seemed to go on and on. Anyhow super dud 165014 was on a Aylesbury – Marylebone service which took me to play a spot of golf at Denham Golf Club.

Nice enough station at Denham Golf Club, but I didn’t have long to wait before winning turbo 165025 rolled in for a nice long trip to Little Kimble where I was due another ride, this time to Monks Risborough to clear that little branch line, where I was at the station awaiting what I had assumed would be 165025, but infact was surprised when dud 168217 rolled up, unexpected 168 which is always good compared to a turbo. Next stop was Saunderton with 165014 reappearing to take me to Princes Risborough.

Crossing over to platform 1 at Princes, as the next Banbury service (line was closed north of Banbury today), formed of winners 165030 & 165021, taking me to Haddenham & Thame Parkway which has a very long bridge, and not a lot else, the little cafe was closed, and it had just started to rain, so I seeked out shelter from the storm, and waited as dud 165019 with winner 165002 rolled in to take me to Bicester North, passing the ground works of the new Bicester curve which looks nearly complete. I had just enough time to cycle to the town centre to see what was about and buy lunch from Sainsburys before rushing back to the station to catch the return of 165021 & 165030 for the run to Beaconsfield, where I waited as 165016 rolled up to take me to Denham, my final Chiltern shack south of Banbury, until the line to Oxford Parkway reopens.

165014 had its 3rd ride of the day back to Beaconsfield, where I noted previously a double winning Turbo set would hopefully be making its way south, but I had a couple options, either a quick hop to Gerrards Cross to score an unknown unit coming back to Beaconsfield, or an unknown unit to High Wycombe, sadly the service to Marylebone departs before the service towards High Wycombe, and that was a known dud (165002 & 165019). My gamble didn’t pay off, as I had duds 168214 & 172101 for the short hop to High Wycombe (where I noticed if I had caught the service to Gerrards Cross, I could have had another winning turbo). High Wycombe is getting a face life, the access from the up main platform is via a temporary footbridge as the old subway has been filled in. I didn’t have long to wait before winners 165035 & 165005 rolled in to take me to Marylebone.

I decided to try and save some time by riding to Baker Street, and the signs just disappeared, and I got lost, eventually finding the entrance and S7 stock 449 & 450 on a circle line duties took me to Liverpool Street, where my tight plan (caused by a later arrival than planned due to spotting those turbos) collapsed. Thinking on my feet, and I spotted a Hertford East bound service departing inside the next 6 minutes, my eyes passing to what 379s was going to be on the next Stansted service, and it was dud 379004 leading winner 379028 for a short hop to Tottenham Hale, where I attempted to purchase a BZ6 – Ware ticket but failed as the ticket office was closed, and the gate guards couldn’t be bothered, telling me to buy at the other end.

I couldn’t help noticing the queue for the single TVM was around 10 passengers deep, for an interchange station, Tottenham Hale could do with being rebuilt, with a lift to get from one platform to another, how many passengers from Stansted has alighted only to have to lift their bags over the footbridge to get to the Victoria line? Anyhows, winner 317505 rolled in to take me to Ware, where a quick unfold of my bike later and I was on the road to St Margarets, and after purchasing a ticket which cost the same as the BZ ticket I originally requested, found 317505 making its way back where I took for the tiny leap to Rye House. It was time for another ride, this time to Broxbourne, not the most welcoming of stations, building wise.

Anyhow I didn’t have long to wait before dud 379023 took me to Cheshunt, where I was surprised when dud 317890 rolled in, I was expecting a 315, taking a seat in the former 1st class area for the short ride to Southbury, where it was back onto my bike for the short ride to my final London Overground shack at Bush Hill Park, interestingly has a couple shops outside the station for future reference as normally it involves a fester as the Enfield bound service passes the Liverpool Street bound service south of the station. Anyhow happy days all the stations have been cleared again, and as a bonus I scored winner 317891 for the short ride down to Hackney Downs, where I had a couple options.

My mind was made up when I saw required 317658 on a Hertford East bound service, so a quick visit to Tottenham Hale, where I had 2 options to get back to Liverpool Street, first was a dud 379 from Cambridge, the 2nd was a service from Stansted and I was happy when winner 379022 rolled up, only 6 more 379s left to get into my book. Anyhow to Liverpool Street, where I through I would be clever and ride to Moorgate to get onto the Northern line, a big mistake as the route Google suggested was blocked off for Crossrail work, so I changed my mind and headed to Bank station, and eventually got onto the Northern line platforms with 617 & 618 taking me to London Bridge, where I eventually got to the Jubilee platforms with 26 & 89 to Waterloo. Up the lift and a fast walk saw me onto 159107 & 159005 forming the 19:15 service, clearing 107 for 1000 miles (4th 159 cleared), for a nice fast run back to Andover, and home via the local Papa Johns pizza place for a pizza and a cold drink.

A very busy and successful day, Hertford East branch done, Chiltern south done and London Overground cleared (which allows me to do some Liverpool Street hunting for my remaining 315s & 317s)

Anyhow some pictures:
How handy, the golf club has its own station

165025 disappearing at Little Kimble


Monks Risborough


Bicester curve:


And with this, London Overground is covered (for the 2nd time)
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top