It's the busiest service (owing to the arrival time of 8:20), when I have caught it a few years ago for a course in London, it is pretty much standing room only from Andover. 10 cars is the limit for Salisbury, Grateley & Andover.
28th February – FOSS Day 2
Slightly later than normal Saturday start for me, but with no real plan in mind as I drove to Salisbury station, to think where I will end up, 20 or so minutes ponder at Salisbury where a Portsmouth bound 158/9 arrived and departed as a late running Cardiff service formed of 158951 decided to arrive (having got stuck behind a late running Southampton bound stopper after Fareham), so I bored, found a seat for the short journey for my 1st new station of the day in the shape of Warminster, with a bus stop outside which thinks it’s in London (see the picture below).
5 or so minutes later a quiet looking 158959 arrived on a Salisbury – Worcester service where it arrived into Westbury P3 where I spotted a familiar looking 158/9 on P2, one which I alighted from a mere 10 minutes ago, looking like it was going no-where, neither was 158959 going anywhere fast, the line was closed at Bath Spa following a bridge strike, quick check of RTT saw a couple options, either the Swindon service or a HST down to Taunton and head up towards Bristol. My decision was made when I saw required 153382 roll into P1. Quickly grabbing a seat before it was announced that no-trains were heading towards Bath so get on board the Swindon service. Rather full on departing Westbury the dog-box was, standing room only after Trowbridge, and Chippenham was just crazy, first Swindon bound service for an hour (2x HSTs delayed) so it was the “how many people can fit onto a 153” challenge, answer is a lot. 5 minutes late and leaving people behind, the service eventually reached Swindon.
The next Swansea bound service was running 20 minutes late, and the crowds were building, leading was dud 43036 but with required 43189 behind I jumped on board and managed to get a seat for the busy ride towards Bristol Parkway, to get some high-speed action. At Bristol Parkway I was waiting for any required units, of any type, couple dud voyagers arrived and departed, a non-required 150 arrived from Western Super Mere, before required 43025 arrived with required 43171 behind arrived on a Paddington bound service, 2 power-cars for the price of one, happy days. Across the platform at the boundary of Swindon to see what was next up, dud 43003 rolled in on a Bristol service with required 43186 behind so it was on board for the short hop to Chippenham (after checking RTT first to see what the connection was like at Chippenham, thankfully it suggested a 5 minute wait until another service was due back towards Swindon).
Next up was required 43168 with winner 43097 on the back, excellent, back to Swindon where my run of winners came to an end as I hit the station around a dead time, next HST departure west wasn’t for 25+ minutes, so I found myself onto dud 150263 heading towards Cheltenham Spa to see the Golden Valley line, all freshly redoubled. It was late arriving into Gloucester (2nd new station of the day) so I missed the XC connection towards Cardiff, also the HST back towards Swindon. 10 minute wait before an ATW service rolled in on a Gloucester to Fishguard service, formed of dud 158834, I decided to board as I wanted to re-do the Gloucester – Newport line, as it is quite pretty in places where it runs alongside the river (and gave me a chance to give my phone a quick charge). Changing at Severn Tunnel Junction, for the first time since June last year, and it is still bleak and awful as ever. Waiting for a Taunton bound service in the hope of scoring some 150 tunnel thrash.
Sadly it was a single busy unit (was hoping for a double set) and dud 150106, almost managed to catch a certain westbound service at Patchway which calls at a particular station between Patchway and Severn Tunnel Junction, but it will have to wait to be semi-planned. To Filton Abbey Wood and across the world’s longest footbridge to the island platforms 2/3 to await the next service heading towards Parkway, and I was in luck, it was winner 150104 (heading towards Gloucester I believe). Not the longest of trips, but back at Parkway for another “I will get on whatever pulls in and is required”. A dud 221 arrived heading south, a dud 220 arrived heading north, required 43141 (with dud 43070) arrived heading towards London, so it was back towards Swindon for me.
At Swindon, I got onto fresh duds 43097/43168 back to Parkway, at least it gives those 2 power-cars a few extra miles. Next departure was a Western-super-Mere bound service formed of winner 150247 so I jumped on for a short trip to Filton Abbey Wood, across the bridge to see the next service towards Cardiff (checking RTT saw a connection with a Taunton bound service at Patchway), and it was winner 150248, for the even shorter distance to Patchway. Across the bridge to await the Taunton train, and it was dud 150249. 47-48-49 in a roll, what were the odds of that happening I thought as I headed back to Filton, the new IEP depot looks like it’s coming along well. Next service northbound was in the hands of winner 150202 to take me to Parkway, for some more Parkway pondering.
My pondering didn’t last for long as required 220004 pulled in on a Bristol service, and employing the “Voyager” rule as I had no idea when the next time I might run into 220004 might be, I boarded for the hop to Bristol Temple Meads. Sadly I didn’t manage to catch a Paddington bound HST as the XC stopped outside the station for 5 minutes, so it was a short wait before dud 158955 arrived heading towards Portsmouth, I was tired and had enough travelling for the day so I stayed on bound for the 52 mile journey back to Salisbury, for a quick drive home.
New units scored today: 7x 43s, 4x 150, 1x 153, and 1x 220, so an interesting day.
1st March – FOSS Day 3
The aim of today was to get the rare track in Cardiff on the diversion between Cardiff Central and Grangetown which went via a reversal in Ninian Park. First step of the day was a nice little drive to Romsey to catch the 8:36-odd service to Romsey via Southampton Central (I swear those PIS used to say “Chandlers Ford via Southampton Central”) [see picture]. Anyways, as all SWT 158s are cleared it was going to be dud, and it was the return of 158887, not pretending to be a FGW unit today (like it was on Friday)
Nice short trip to Southampton where I had around an hour or so to kill before the first Cardiff bound service (which I didn’t want to miss as the next service would be 2 hours later), would 444017 be nice and pop up heading to Waterloo or on a stopper towards Bournemouth? First couple 444s spotted were not 017, until I noticed the XC service from Southampton to Banbury pull in and noticed the number was required 220027, damn that Voyager rule, but another 220 cleared for the 4 mile 33 chain trip to Southampton Airport (Parkway) (can’t forget the brackets for parkway). Across the bridge and I was limited in options, get onto the service towards Southampton Central with a 20-odd minute wait or risk a 2 minute connection to score a new station?
444019 pulled in, and after checking RTT saw the FGW service 2 minutes down and the SWT service back towards Waterloo on time, decided it was worth the risk, so stayed on until the next station of Totton, my only new station of the day. Across the footbridge, for a couple minute wait before 444038 pulled in, damn you wee 444017 I shall catch you one of these days, to take me back to Southampton Central with a mad manic dash across the bridge to see that the FGW service had managed to drop another couple minutes, so no need to rush whatsoever.
This train is formed of 5 carriages, customers for blah de blah should join the front coach only, potential of a winning 150 (and some additional 150 tunnel blast, great sound hearing those engines roar when under water with the window open), sadly it was not a winner as it was 150249 from Saturday (at least the full Southampton to Cardiff run would push this 150 high up my FGW 150 mileage list. Techniquests favourite 158/9 was behind (158960) and to make a chance I got a nice table seat in the 150, to read more of my boring HR book. Unit got rather busy after Trowbridge but emptied out at Bath where the race was already underway. Onwards to Cardiff with the reversal at Temple Meads, and managed to arrive into Cardiff a few minutes early, which gave me enough time to make a dash to the TVMs to purchase my Cardiff Central to Grangetown return and get back to P4 to catch an earlier train than I had planned.
Brucie bonus time as it was a winner as well, 150279, heading towards Barry Island, and set off towards Ninian Park, the train reversing and heading out towards Grangetown, lots of various units in the depot, and I alighted at Grangetown and went down to see if there was anything of interest in the local area, as I was getting hungry, apart from a little “premier” convenience store whose selection of sandwiches made the Woking Budgens look massive, I was back to the station, well hiding on the stairs away from the choppy wind. My luck didn’t last and dud 150267 arrived to take me back to Central. I noticed sitting on P2 XC 170397 on a Birmingham New Street service, a required 170 so I made a note, a Manchester bound service was due to depart unusually from P0, so I was going to see if that was required and change [well I would have to anyway] at Newport and link up with the 170 for a nice trip towards Gloucester or Cheltenham Spa, depending what RTT says.
A few minutes before departure required 175009 rolled in, and was quite busy from the word go, for the short 11 mile trip to Newport. Crossing over to P2, and 170397 arrived, and I managed to find a nice table seat on the right hand side, perfect for views of the Severn Bridge and the river. RTT suggested nothing was to be gained from changing at Gloucester, the next service from Gloucester being a FGW towards Swindon, which could be connected with at Cheltenham, so to Cheltenham, having just missed a double Voyager (something I haven’t had on XC), gave me a wait, annoyingly a required XC HST set arrived heading northbound, out of the limit as the next stop would be New Street. The FGW was a dud, the XC 170 was a dud, and I was pondering when required 220009 arrived on route to Bristol, a quick check of RTT gave me a 4-odd minute connection with a Portsmouth bound service, so it was time for Voyager action passing Parkway and arriving into Temple Meads, I was ready for the door to make a connection, thankfully the platform changed from what RTT suggested and it pulled into the platform opposite the FGW service, so no subway dash.
158955 was the unit in question for the 69 mile trip, I shouldn’t have rushed though, as the guard announced it was being held at the station due to a broken down HST at Bath Spa which was trying to be fixed, and we were the 4th in the queue to depart towards Bath Spa (SWT service, another HST & a Weymouth bound stopper?) The guard kept us upto date and got caught when making an announcement that another HST would be departing before us, so there would be a *whistle in background* no we are off now” 25 odd minutes down, managed to get back some of the lost time, but arrival into Romsey was around 20 minutes late. Arrival into a station with 5 policemen on the platform, another couple blocking the north exit, for a couple youths being met, 3 cars outside with a little van, with more policemen blocking the exits, must have been something serious.
Anyways, nice trip back home, the end of a quick day trip to Cardiff to score some rare track, plus some additional winners
I wonder if Oyster is accepted on this bus stop, especially with the Imber special?
Boarding a train to Romsey from Romsey? (Picture from another day)
Severn Tunnel Junction, a station you don't want to be stuck at for longer than needed
I spy with my little eye a bridge
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
7th March – The Scottish Weekender
The day begins, with me standing at a cold London Fields (1st new station of the day) at 5:10 in the morning awaiting a service to take me to Hackney Downs, watching various empty stock movements and Stansted Express services. It actually began 30 minutes earlier with checking out of the guesthouse near Homerton station in Hackney, with a 25 minute walk through the streets of Hackney as I had the choice of either walking to Hackney Downs or London Fields. I decided London Fields for the chance to scoring a new station and another potential required 315 or 317.
Back to London Fields, a station I personally wouldn’t like to be standing around for long, the time has come and in comes rolling what appears to be a 315, yes it is a 315, and a required 315 to boot, 315858. Shame it wasn’t a 317 as I could have make use of the toilet at this point. Short trip to Hackney Downs where I had a brief look outside, noticing the new ticket gates, before heading back towards the island platform, which confused a passenger as “Enfield trains always depart from P4, so why is it saying P2, I don’t believe you” and headed to P4 (only to ignore the Enfield bound service).
You might be asking why I would be hanging around Hackney at 5:38 on a Saturday morning waiting for an Enfield bound service. Very good question, as it is the 5:30 departure from Liverpool Street which makes use of 2 curves which otherwise are not used by passenger services on a regular service, formed of 315829 (another required 315 for a bonus), it set off towards Tottenham Hale only to dive off to the left before the station and onto the GOBLIN line, going past South Tottenham slowly before heading right and back onto the main line just before Seven Sisters where I alighted, and touched out with the Oyster. PSUL movement over the South Tottenham curves complete
After a 15 minute wait around Seven Sisters, picking up a bottle of juice from a little shop, I headed back to the station, tapping in with Oyster for the Victoria line trip to Euston. I was booked onto the 7:43 departure; I was at Euston for 6:23, an hour to kill before the platform was officially announced, an hour to kill at Euston, what fun, so after buying a light breakfast from Sainsburys, a newspaper from WH Smiths, I sat down in the waiting room and relaxed.
7:20 rolled around and I went towards the top of the stairs for P5, where RTT was saying the train would depart from, making sure I had £15 in my pocket, as I was booked into coach D, Voyager would be better as the seats in Coach D are better than A to C, 390 then I would jump into First Class and pay the weekend first upgrade, for a 5 and a half hour trip (going via Birmingham), it would be worth it for the extra legroom, bigger seat, free drinks & a view. Service was announced and I was down the ramp, passing the human gate line, and onto winner 390155 “Days of Future Past” and straight into the FC coaches. Half the seats were reserved, but I found myself an “available” single seat and make myself comfortable (after visiting the loo). My £15 on the table ready to give to the train manager if he comes through to check tickets, although sadly the free drinks were limited as there was no at-seat service due to a member of staff being unavailable, if you wanted the free coffee/tea/water you needed to do the long walk to the shop.
The snack boxes were rolled out before departure, and the train manager came through soon after to check tickets and collect upgrade monies, kicking a couple out who didn’t “realise” it was First Class. After Birmingham another member of staff came on board with drinks run before alighting at Crewe, where it looked like a Manager of some description came on board with another snack box run, filling up the little fridge with bottles of water and leaving the boxes on the top. All the time the member of staff in the shop was apologising for the lack of at seat service on today’s trip (but you won’t get that on East Coast). Nice relaxing journey, over the interesting part of the WCML, and before I knew it the train was pulling into Glasgow Central 10 or so minutes ahead of schedule.
Doing the long walk at Central onto the concourse, and to the ticket office to purchase my Roundabout ticket (produced as a “single” ticket) and with a short wait as I was heading over towards the lower-level platforms where I spotted a 156 getting ready to depart in a couple minutes, and checking my phone saw it was required 156449, so I jumped on (after checking RTT for connections back, saw a change at Pollokshaws West with a 2 minute and 12 minute connection), tickets checked pretty much straight away, and arrived at Crossmyloaf, before my 2nd new station of the day in the shape of Pollokshaws West. Quick walk down the stairs into the subway and up the stairs to the “up” platform, next train was in 2 minutes but the one after was coming up as “delayed”, which didn’t look good, so change of plan, and onto the 1st service formed of dudtastic 156494 (A trip to Scotland isn’t complete with 156494 popping up at some point) for the trip back to Central.
Buying lunch from WH Smiths and I headed to the Low-Level platforms to await the next service towards Partick, with my required list for both 318s & 320s being quite long the odds were in my favour…
….and a dud unit tipped up, so I gave that a miss and was rewarded with winner 318257 for the 2 mile hop to Partick (got to be careful not to call it Patrick), still with time to kill before check-in opens at 14:30 (as I wanted to ditch stuff from my bag and check-in early so I didn’t have to worry about doing it later on), next service towards the West was a 320, a winner 320, 320312, for my 3rd new station of the day in the shape of Hyndland, nice island platform, which is always a bonus for unit bashing (allows you to see what be coming in both directions). A dud 334 arrived on a fast Edinburgh service, but I held back and waited for the next service on a ‘slow’ Edinburgh service [going by the number of station calls] and was given winner 334011, back to Partick, down the stairs to hand over my Roundabout to get given an “all-day” ticket for the Glasgow Subway.
Down to the “outer” platform with a couple minute wait before a Subway unit pulled in for the short journey to Kelvinbridge (my 2nd Glasgow Subway station). Phone out to give me directions to the guest house and I arrived pretty much at 14:35 to the surprise of the owner as he hadn’t quite finished the prep (needed hovering), so emptying my bag of clothes, books & magazine, I departed the guest house and back down the slight hill, making note of many takeaway shops and a Co-Op which would be useful in the evening for dinner. To the “inner” platform at the work-site of Kelvinbridge and back to Partick, with a spring in my step, as I headed to the “westbound” platform to see what next was heading to Hyndland.
Noticing an old station site along the route, and a rusty looking loop at Hyndland to the north, out on 318262, back in on 320321/318266, out on 320313, back in with 334029, out again on 318254 and back towards Partick on 334004 with a bit of gap for the next westbound service (all those units are winners), next eastbound service was required 334040 which I stayed on for the short hop to Charing Cross (Glasgow), and I had forgotten from my last Glasgow trip in May how long the stairs are and how unwelcoming the platforms are (half covered in a tunnel, other half in a cutting with another tunnel at the end). To Partick on winner 334005, before diving over for dud 318254 back to Glasgow Central with a bit of a mad fast walk to jump onto the Newton service a few seconds before the doors were closing.
Back in May the only part of regular passenger service track uncovered (so excluding PSUL movements) was the curves used by the Central to Newton via Crosshill services (had the line between Central and Newton via Shawlands, but as the Crosshill also employs the use of a dive under back onto the main Cathcart circle. Staying on board until the 2nd to last station for another new station at Kirkhill, which unlike most of the other stations on the Cathcart series isn’t an island platform. Dud 314207 departed towards Newton and reappeared a few minutes later working an inbound service (looking at RTT suggest Central to Newton via Crosshill is used by the same unit all day long as the inbound at Central forms the next outbound), but I was going to ditch it at Queens Park (Glasgow) [would be a long trip on a toiletless unit to the other Queen’s Park station]. 5 or so minute wait before the next service arrived heading towards Neilston, and it was a winner, 314205, and this one I stayed on until Mount Florida.
314211 took me back into Glasgow Central, where I checked RTT for anything heading out towards Paisley Gilmour Street, for any 380s, first up was winner 380113 for the short hop to Paisley, next Glasgow bound service was a dud 380/0 so I stayed for the following service which thankfully was a winner, 380106 (I think the next time I do a roundabout I will try and cover the 380s). RTT time again for 314 action, and gave me an anti-clockwise Cathcart circle service which was winner 314204 for another new station at Langside, a service from Newton (via Langside) was next up with 314203 taking me to Polloshields West. Taking a moment to look at the TVM for the “top” tickets, with a surprise with “IBM Halt” being a top ticket, loophole ticket or do many people from Langside travel to the former IBM works at Valley Park?
Pollosheields West seems to be a station in a cutting, access by a footbridge between housing estates; at least it gave me a good chance to take a picture of the station, and of winner 314215 arriving, which I decided to stay on until Newton. Next Central bound service from Newton [not the 314] was cancelled, which messed up a rough plan of station attacking, with a concert being held at the exhibition centre I decided that station would have to wait. Dud 318262 took me to Glasgow Central, where it was busy and it departed a few minutes late full and standing (concert goers), and dud 320317 arrived to take me to Argyle Street. Across the island to quickly board dud 320314, less passengers boarding at Central, but staying in the front car worked as it was less busy as I alighted at Anderston. Back towards Central on unexpected winner 318252, where I linked up with winner 318269 towards Hyndland, boarding at the front where it was quieter (but still departed late, where the train emptied out at Exhibition Centre for Mr Noel ‘Gallacher’ [as the PIS were saying].
Time was getting on and back at Hyndland after a couple duds I boarded duds 320309/320322 for the short trip back to Partick, but was rewarded with winner 320318 back out to Hyndland and a quick dive across the platform with 320305 back into Partick. I decided to stick around to see what the next service towards Queen Street, winner 334002, to Queen Street. It was getting down to that time where the services were being reduced to a half hourly service, so I was going to board for my final unit of the evening, and it was dud 334011 back to Partick, down to the subway for the trip to Kelvinbridge and back towards the guest house via an independent takeaway (and the Co-Op to pick up another bottle of water for the following day). Once eaten to the guesthouse to relax and sleep. I had another mile long walk in the morning (Glasgow Subway doesn’t open until 10am).
Result of today:
1 x 156; 5 x 314; 2 x 315; 5 x 318; 5 x 320; 6 x 334, 2 x 380, 1 x 390
8th March – A Scottish Weekender Day 2
20 minutes walking, after departing the guest house I arrived onto a familiar road from May, Charing Cross, with the little guest house on the hill, so I could put my phone away and use my memory for the walk to Charing Cross station, purchasing a single ticket to Edinburgh and down to the platform. I had a couple options; either I could stay on the 334 stopper all the way to Waverley, or ditch it at Queen Street and take a service via Falkirk High. The DMU won the day, the 334 fast service is good, the stopper would be “We are now approaching so-and-so, this train is for Edinburgh Waverley, next station blah”, so for some peace I headed to high level after winner 334010 took me to low-level.
15 or so minutes I had spare, the train hadn’t been announced (although there was a double 170 sitting on P6 which I thinking it might have been), a single 156 on a Anniesland service and a 158/170 combo which might have also had another 158 attached to the rear towards Aberdeen, were the only other services departing, so I headed to the little Sainsburys for a quick sausage roll. A double 170 rolled into P5 from Glasgow and it was going to be the 9:30 departure, dud 170426 was leading with winner 170424 at the rear. The catering trolley was located in 426 (and I assume the guard was located in the rear unit as unusually for a Scotrail service there was no ticket check).
Into Waverley station, which is one of the most confusing stations for platform numbering, the service didn’t go into one of the west bay platforms, so a bit quicker to head to the ticket office to pick up a weekly season ticket between Waverley & Haymarket (making use of my photo card for my other season ticket). I then spent the day doing the slightly boring run between Waverley and Haymarket, required unit searching, and in a couple cases getting back on board a known dud if there was no required unit departing for 20-odd minutes.
Winner 158789 was up first, and it had an odd ‘first class’ section, 2+1 seating (I put first class, but as it was working a Central to Edinburgh via Shotts it doesn’t have first class). Waverley on required 158704 with dud 170478 behind, with Virgin WC providing the units for the next Haymarket run with a pair of Voyagers, winners 221112 & 221107 (always seems to wasteful to have Voyagers on the Euston to Scotland services which run under the wires, couldn’t Virgin magic up additional 390s to release some 221s for another TOC?). Winner 170422 (with dud 170402) back to Waverley and as there was no required units departing within 20 minutes they took me back out to Haymarket.
Winners 158726/158740 took me to Waverley after a bit of a wait at Haymarket (a 334 had broken down somewhere), next up was dud 170395 leading winner 158702 for the 1 mile 19 chain journey, and another pair of 158s back, with winner 158738 leading and dud 158727 behind. Next movement was going to be on a pair of 350s; technically pick-up/set-down only at Haymarket, but the chance of someone checking the tickets on the short trip was remote. Dud 350406 was leading with winner 350408 on the rear.
To Waverley again with another pair of lovely winning 158s, with 158739/158712, and back out with winner 170475. Slight dash over the platform and I was on winner 158721 leading dud 158871 back to Waverley, to hit at a time where the next 158s/170s were duds, so I went across to a dud 220033 (to clear a 220 over that trip), back into Waverley on dud 334023, and back out on duds 170402/170422. Back to winners with 158870 to Waverley and 158728/170407 to Haymarket, I had noticed a pair of required 350s pulling into Edinburgh earlier which would form the next Manchester service so I jumped onto the next Edinburgh bound service which was dud 170455.
350401/350403 were the pair of 350/4s which I was after, and a quick dash across the platform saw me on my first Virgin East Coast service, with winner 43299 leading and 43238 behind, which led me to the next VTEC service heading towards Aberdeen, and a case of I should have checked the power cars before boarding a quite busy (standing room only in Coach E, although aisles were clear), I think it must have been the former East Midland Trains set, seats looked different and the signs were EMT style. Both power-cars were duds with 43302 leading and 43251 at the rear. Never mind. I had spotted a Virgin 390 arriving which was required, so it was next train at Haymarket, a dud 220014 from Glasgow Central.
Across to the VTWC service, formed of winner 390045, to break up the 170s/158s, but I hit Haymarket at a bad time, a couple duds before a break of 20 minutes, so I decided to board the last of the 2 duds (158738/158727) to see what was around Waverley waiting to depart. My eye caught a pair of 334s departing in the next couple minutes (there was a XC Glasgow service due around the same time, but I decided it wasn’t worth the risk of trying to get across the footbridge to whatever platform the XC was waiting, dud 334002 was leading winner 334008 (and annoyingly the XC was a required 221, although I doubt I would have made it as the 334 doors closed mere seconds after I had boarded. Double winners 158722/170421 took me back into Waverley where for another time I hit several duds for the next 20 minutes worth of departures, so decided to take the next set out to Haymarket.
Hence for the 4th time of the day I was on 170402/170422, out towards Haymarket (I think that set was on a Queen Street – Edinburgh diagram). Winner 158716 back to Waverley where the backlog of duds had begun to clear as I had my eye on 170429 which formed the next required unit service, and back in on 170396 which was a bonus to clear another 170/3. It was that time where a Manchester service was next up and after passing it in the tunnels between Haymarket/Waverley (when it was heading into Waverley) sounded like a diesel, so I wasn’t surprised when I spotted a pair of busy looking 185s, leading was required 185132 with dud 185140 behind. Although in all fairness I probably would have jumped on them anyhow to have a 185 on that route (as I’ve had, 43, 67 90, 91, 156, 158, 170, 220, 221, 185, 350, 380, 390, so I think I’ve managed to cover it on most DMU/EMU/Loco which runs between the two, until the new sleeper comes on with 92s & 47/73s).
Time for some more VTEC action with required 43307 leading a set with dud 43274 on the rear, back for the final time on duds 43311/43320, before my final “First Scotrail” service with winner 170401. My first VTEC 91 to give some decent distance was led by new DVT 82230 with required 91121 on the rear for a peaceful if not bouncy journey down the East Coast. The Mk4 coaches do not ride as well as 390s, darkness had fallen after Newcastle, and apart from a stop around Retford, it seemed to missed the worst of the signalling issues at Kings Cross (Hull Trains service departing 40-odd minutes late) and arrived pretty much bang on time.
Across to Victoria on the Victoria line, for no reason other than I wanted to try and get a required 377, and was successful dud 377451 was leading winner 377118 (unusual in having 2+2 seating throughout the train?), towards Clapham. Mad dash towards P9 only to be told that P9 was closed and all services were from P11 currently, so back to P11 to get onto a Haslemere bound service, with winner 450122 leading dud 450126, to Woking with 15 odd minutes spare before a Basingstoke stopper was due (and fastest service to Basingstoke) so a quick dash to Subway for a late night dinner, and back in time for the Basingstoke/Alton train, Basingstoke part was dud 450555, and carried on for the short 23 mile trip to Basingstoke.
Due to engineering works around Andover, the Salisbury services were being diverted via Southampton, with a magic bus for Overton/Whitchurch/Andover/Grateley that time of night, to RTT the bus was due to leave around 30 minutes before I had got back to Basingstoke, even going the ‘back’ way home [via Overton/Whitchurch as the M3/A303 is boring that time of night], I managed to meet the bus at Grateley (I passed it heading towards the station as I was on the final couple hundred metres).
Anyways, a successful day in Scotland, many new units ticked off
Pics:
London Fields @ 5:18 in the morning
IBM Halt a top ticket at Queen's Park?
Pollokshields West
314215 approaching
Proper First Class seating on 158789 (Former SWT unit?)