• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The real facts behind the ATW potential strike please

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDK

Established Member
Joined
19 Apr 2008
Messages
4,164
Location
Crewe
I think if you check I posted the RMT press release which was totally on topic. It was a poster who insisted on coming on subsequently making personal remarks which drag it down. I agree that those that continue to make comments about members intelligence should be given a firm kick. I guess I am at fault for being a bit mischievous in altering a quote and posting tongue in cheek remarks but its all a bit of fun, light hearted banter in response to personal insults from CS which are unnecessary.

I see your point 1V53 - so in your opinion then are the RMT/guards in connection with ATW going to wait and see the outcome with the drivers dispute forst before taking any action, I spoke to 2 ATW guards yesterday and they both said they are not interested in the money as long as their T & C stay as they are
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1V53

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2011
Messages
368
I see your point 1V53 - so in your opinion then are the RMT/guards in connection with ATW going to wait and see the outcome with the drivers dispute forst before taking any action, I spoke to 2 ATW guards yesterday and they both said they are not interested in the money as long as their T & C stay as they are

The RMT have had quite an enlightened approach to this and instead of jumping straight in and balloting on the pay offer (which is what Aslef did with the drivers) they are holding a series of special Branch meetings. Several took place last week, I believe Cardiff has theirs this week and Crewe next week. RMT are fielding a couple of key officers including the regional organiser and an EC member. They are listening to the members and asking questions and explaining the process and the options.

I am hoping they approach the company afterwards and explain the strength of feeling and ask that they reconsider their approach. If they won't reconsider (and they haven't up to now) then we have two options. One is to accept, the other is to not accept. The first option means we allow them to change our conditions against our will and pay us peanuts for a major change which forces us to work Sundays, the second inevitably leads to an industrial action ballot. I'm not sure what else we are supposed to do? Cave in and accept changes we didn't ask for, aren't necessary and force us to commit to overtime at the whim of the company or.....? I'm not sure what those on here knocking us would do in our shoes tbh.

It would be helpful if our detractors could offer some constructive ideas of a way forward, wouldn't it?
 

TDK

Established Member
Joined
19 Apr 2008
Messages
4,164
Location
Crewe
The RMT have had quite an enlightened approach to this and instead of jumping straight in and balloting on the pay offer (which is what Aslef did with the drivers) they are holding a series of special Branch meetings. Several took place last week, I believe Cardiff has theirs this week and Crewe next week. RMT are fielding a couple of key officers including the regional organiser and an EC member. They are listening to the members and asking questions and explaining the process and the options.

I am hoping they approach the company afterwards and explain the strength of feeling and ask that they reconsider their approach. If they won't reconsider (and they haven't up to now) then we have two options. One is to accept, the other is to not accept. The first option means we allow them to change our conditions against our will and pay us peanuts for a major change which forces us to work Sundays, the second inevitably leads to an industrial action ballot. I'm not sure what else we are supposed to do? Cave in and accept changes we didn't ask for, aren't necessary and force us to commit to overtime at the whim of the company or.....? I'm not sure what those on here knocking us would do in our shoes tbh.

It would be helpful if our detractors could offer some constructive ideas of a way forward, wouldn't it?

It certainly would, I feel there is only one option for both the guards and the drivers and that is to hold tight until the ATW management see that they will not get any of you to do the enforced overtime. It may be a long drawn out process but I certainly wouldn't be dictated to by management like that.
 

CosherB

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2007
Messages
3,041
Location
Northwich
Oh and I don't need to defend myself. As I say I am well paid, have a cushy job and can strike if I dont get what I want. Life is good.

Yeah, but you're still down there with the creepy things in my pond. Your statement above helps confirm that.

I agree Metro is far more polite than I am. It amazes me how patient he is in the face of such childishness. But he's probably younger than me and used to dealing with small naughty childeren; my days of that are way behind me (though at least my kids are intelligent!). I don't suffer fools so gladly as he does. At my stage of life I don't have to.

I'm glad that message is getting through.

Oh, and I have to say that if you three are even remotely a representative example of railway employees, then it confirms the view that the railways offer a nice comfy and undemanding billet for some who might shrivel if exposed to the the non-cosy real world outside. You have done your more able collegues no favours with your posts on here. I hope that when the cost cutting comes (and it will) railway management is smart enough to weed out the likes of you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

1V53

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2011
Messages
368
If you were so mature and clever you would know you can't judge people from a few tongue in cheek comments on a forum, wouldn't you!

Me? Well I've been in post for just under 10 years now. Good letters of praise from customers, pats on back from management, all good. Just because I am well paid and won't be bullied doesn't mean I am not an exemplary member of staff. You just can't deal with it can you, the fact we are well paid and get what we want, its really eating you up and making you bitter it seems, and all you can do is throw insults at me even though you don't know me and haven't seen me do my job!

You see by posting more of this drivel you just show yourself up even more, and every time we try to be mature and discuss things you have to wade in with pointless insults and assumptions. Its very sad, but never mind, we shall rise above it.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
I think at this point it's right to call time on these daft trade union discussions as the ideology is so intrenched that it will lead to tears in the end and the same points keep cropping up time and time again.

We have had some useful points raised here, in particular post #47, but it just leads to too many arguments.
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
Please cut out the insults. Infrations have had to be issued due to the inability of some people to remain civil.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top