I expect such tripe from the public but not those who I would expect to have a bit of insight. The problem is I think one or two people on here (Metroland and Captain Speaking) are too busy writing and don't spend enough time reading.
Managers say an offer of a 12% rise over two years is extremely generous, but the Aslef union disagrees.
The union has accused the company of paying Welsh drivers less than their English counterparts.
It called for industrial action on Monday and asked for drivers working overtime on the Sunday shift not to turn up for work in protest.
No I'm just not a pompous pratt like you
an ability to get anothe rjob quickly is never taken into account by an employment tribunal that is solely considered with findings of fact and how these facts operate in a legal sense.

People do use the rail network through choice. If you'd had a cheaper or more convenient way to travel, you would have used it. Patchway has a good bus link to Bristol, but considerably slower. Driving at peak time is also slower and there is the expense of parking all day in Bristol. Alternatives are there, it's just that you chose not to use them.
The right to legally withdraw labour is something that is not unusual to rail staff and is available to everyone irrespective of their employer or the industry they work in. It is a "last resort" option that unfortunately has to be taken where a workforce is in dispute with an employer.
Give me a packed express chuffer and a 30 min ride to Wigan from manchester anyday compared to a 2 hour drive stuck in traffic, burning diesel like no tomorrow and being utterly fed up, ANYDAY!
Of course, it's not always about money. Some people got to a tribunal to clear their name, or seek justice because they have been treated unfairly. Either way, it can be stressful and expensive!

You do have a right to question it, but your, mine, and others opinions count for very little with regards the actual dispute, which is between staff and management.
Indeed; I have no idea of the salaries of those affected by the proposed changes but it takes substantial "cojones" to throw that away and take your chances before a tribunal and a hostile enemy solicitor
You're right - it will ALWAYS be stressful AND expensive.
Those involved need to weigh these things up before considering what action, if any, they are going to take........and sometimes, the view from the other side of the fence hasn't always been available to them before they make those decisions.
If I've opened one person's eyes to the possible pitfalls, my posts have not been in vain![]()
So you are acknowledging that it is managements responsibility as well, and ATW management have a responsibility to try and prevent the situation arising?A few on here seem to have that attitude; that it's a matter entirely between rail workers and rail management.
I agree. It is!
BUT the rail industry makes it their customer's problem by going on strike!. IT IS NOT THE CUSTOMERS' PROBLEM! So don't make it so! Sort it out between you like adults!
You only have to look at the recent BA strikes to see its not that easy to get rid of staff
Staff are not always going on strike as some would have you believe. They have indeed grudgingly accepted less than inflation several times before.
How many trains an hour from Wigan to Manchester?
1?
And if one of those regularly turns up shortformed so you can't get on?
Still game?
So you are acknowledging that it is managements responsibility as well, and ATW management have a responsibility to try and prevent the situation arising?
So all this talk of other peoples experiences in office or shop or factory jobs is in reality completely irrelevent
Again this is all really pointless. If the company were to recruit hundreds of drivers they would need the cooperation of the existing staff to do route knowledge and the 225 hours supervised hours needed.
So all this talk of other peoples experiences in office or shop or factory jobs is in reality completely irrelevent
Oh yes, I forgot. It's not the real world on the railway, is it. :roll:
Are you saying the staff enjoy 100% solidarity?
IME there will always be those who are actually quite happy with their lot, aren't overly bothered about new terms and conditions and will cheerfully do as they're told.
Not so - 225 hours is 14 days x 16 hours........If I was unemployed, I'd undertake that short-term harsh training commitment if you told me I could have a job by the middle of March paying me £25k (or whatever).
Office and factory workers apply here? Sure, the majority might fail but lots would pass.
Yes there are indeed 30% of the drivers who are happy with their lot and voted against the strike. However if you gave them the role of sharing your cab for ridiculously long shifts knowing you would be paid £10k less than them when you passed out I suspect they might have something to say about it!

So at what point can fares stop going up and subsidy not increase?
Ok, so it takes a month to train me rather than two weeks.
You're splitting hairs.
The 30% training me aren't the 70% who will soon be unemployed so I'm not a threat to them.
I was trying to maintain an impartial stance in this matter but I'm starting to form the opinion that there's an element of militancy here![]()
