• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "Name the Station" game

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
4: This station typically has an hourly service in each direction.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No takers?

5: Trains built in Japan pass through this station without stopping.
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
I've never even heard of it!

1) This stations name do not start with any letter appearing in Derby Road or Twerp.
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
Just the word Twerp. It may or may not start with one of the letters found in Thorpe Bay that is not otherwise excluded

Clue 2) This station has both diesel and electric services in an average off-peak hour.
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
3) All diesel services stopping in the average hour are provided by one TOC, all electric services by another.
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
4) Two words in the English dictionary appear in this stations name

For the purpose of this clue, ignore the possibilty of plurals. Also, for verbs only consider, for example 'hop' as as opposed to 'hopping' or 'hopped'.
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
I'm afraid I don't want to state that one. It could be like either of those you mention, or it could be a mashup of the two (like salFORD CENTRAL - I've capitalised the relevant parts as I can't do colour easily from my mobile)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh, and one thing that I would like to add - both words that I referred to have at least 3 letters.
 

Trainfan344

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2012
Messages
2,305
I'm going to call 'foul' on this: clue 2 was: However, I cannot find confirmation that Whitstable is a city as defined by statue.

Do we give up?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It was Chestfield and Swalecliffe.

Open floor.

It's not, i had to wikipedia it, and while it's local authority is the city of Canterbury, the station is in the Village of Swalecliffe
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
This station had a ramp to one platform built this year. It was finished abiut 4 months behind schedule
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
I'm going to call 'foul' on this: clue 2 was: However, I cannot find confirmation that Whitstable is a city as defined by statue.

It's not in Whitstable, it's in the City of Canterbury.

That's why I specifically said "within the boundaries of a city". Which it undeniably is.
 

Buttsy

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,374
Location
Hanborough
It's not in Whitstable, it's in the City of Canterbury.

That's why I specifically said "within the boundaries of a city". Which it undeniably is.

Being extremely pedantic (;)), it depends on your definition of city boundaries. I concur that it is within the District of Canterbury, but city boundaries can be differently defined. You would say that Paddington is in the city of London, however, it technically isn't in the boundaries of the City of London... Pendantic I know. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D;);););)

Gripe over.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Hitchin?
 
Last edited:

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
I'm sorry, I thought that, despite me making a pigs ear of the grammar in the clue, I'd made it clear that I only wanted the starting letter. Incidentally, under your interpretation of that clue, Hitchin wouldn't have worked.
 

Buttsy

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,374
Location
Hanborough
I'm sorry, I thought that, despite me making a pigs ear of the grammar in the clue, I'd made it clear that I only wanted the starting letter. Incidentally, under your interpretation of that clue, Hitchin wouldn't have worked.

Fair call, but I was struggling bearing in mind my incorrect interpretation of the clue...:D
 

Robinson

Member
Joined
1 Aug 2010
Messages
623
Location
Helensburgh
The answer I wanted was Heald Green.

Gah <( I ruled that out as I thought NT still had regular diesel service stopping there... :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm sorry, I thought that, despite me making a pigs ear of the grammar in the clue, I'd made it clear that I only wanted the starting letter. Incidentally, under your interpretation of that clue, Hitchin wouldn't have worked.

Actually, more to the point, which TOC provides diesel services from Hitchin?
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
NT run infrequent diesel services, such as a Liverpool train at around half 7 and a Southport at around ten past 8, plus the Airport shuttle might get a diesel replacement for the 323, although there are other diagrams which will get replaced first (the Alderley Edges, then the Crewe via Stockports)

Anyway, for your next station
This station is not in a PTE area. For the purpose of this clue, any station at which Oyster can be used is in a PTE area.
 

Top