• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "Name the Station" game

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
This station is not in the NSE area (1)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'll let the spelling mistake and missing word pass, as it is obvious what you mean ;)

Severn Tunnel Junction is indeed correct.

I need ot learn to type :D
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
Not Workington

This station has 2 trains per hour terminating, Monday to Friday between 10:00 and 15:00 (4)
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
right, I'm giving clue 5 in spite of the fact theres been no guesses at clue 4

This station has a unique suffix, although similar ones are common.
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
Would just like to say that I think Clagmonsters old one might be Gilberdyke (certainly fits clues 4 and 5)
Indeed it was. I'll let Ivo adjudicate as to whether you get points as it had already been made an open floor.

Dzug 2, if you look at pictures of the road overbridge, it shows more current evidence of the two islands. Looking at the station itself know, I do agree the eastbound platform doesn't look much like a former island due to the roadway/car park/footpath on the old trackbed.
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
Well if it's open floor here's one I prepared earlier:

1.. This station is south of Wolverhampton
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
3. This station used to have a through service to London Euston, as well as the more obvious terminal currently served.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Explains my problem then. The Henley branch was my instinct at clue 4. I don't think a points deduction is in order either way.
To avoid one myself, I'd best make up a watery connection for Colwall. Erm, it has three of the letters from the word well. Water is normally col(d).

Actually there's a better connection - a Malvern Water bottling plant is - or was - nearby. Which I discovered checking the previous answer
 
Last edited:

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
Not Pershore

4 This station, as well as serving the settlement (settlements, strictly) after which it is named, is also these days the nearest station to another settlement(s) a few miles away which used to have its own branch line, now closed.
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
Hanborough (nearest station to Woodstock)

Correct - and yes the through service was in the 1850s.

The 5th clue would have been about the renaming about 20 years ago - from Handborough
 
Last edited:

Top