telstarbox
Established Member
On the slammers, wheelchair users used to have to travel in the guard's compartment - not very dignified but the guard would have helped them on and off with the ramp.
Even just asking people to stand clear, and giving them the time to do so, before launching would have been better than what apparently happened here.
If that is the stupidest thing you have seen on the railway you obviously haven't travelled much!
If that is the stupidest thing you have seen on the railway you obviously haven't travelled much!
I think you'll find that Peter travels by train quite a lot!
While I am not saying its the best thing he could have done I'm one of these who get a bit fed up of our OTT safety culture we have in the UK these days.
I do; I am typically out and about a minimum of once a fortnight, about 50% of my trips being medium and long distance ones and the other 50% being London area and Home Counties area trips. I travel in excess of 10,000 miles a year - if that seems a bit low bear in mind I don't commute - I live a 5 to 10 minute walk away from work.
Oh, the drama of this thread. I'm sure the guy who decided to detrain himself in his wheelchair had done it many times before and was well aware of risks to himself and those around him. I wish I was a cartoonist, because the image of people leaping out of the way of a flying wheelchair is precious.
Quite why he should have to wait to be helped and lose his independence is beyond me if he can manage himself.
we don't know that he didn't warn people, or ask for his help- all we've got is an anecdote from someone, who might not have been close enough to hear warnings
If I was in this guys situation I'd jump off the train, if someone gets hurt it's their fault. On buses you'd let people off before jamming round the door, but impatient train passengers show no manners to those of lower mobillity, and it's they who should be charged for creating an obstruction.
On the slammers, wheelchair users used to have to travel in the guard's compartment - not very dignified but the guard would have helped them on and off with the ramp.
It is quite shocking how many anti disabled people there are on this forum! Most inconsiderate.
It is quite shocking how many anti disabled people there are on this forum! Most inconsiderate.
It's shocking, but I see inconsiderate behavoir towards my disabled Mum all time on the railways. They are a few who are helpful at stations (the hand lenders are great people), but most just push(or shove) past everyone like a stampede and leave no room for the disabled to move, if these selfish inconsiderate people get in the way and not give room for a wheelchair user to get off the train, and get their feet wheeled over as a result, it's what they deserve for being selfish and not considering the needs of those with reduced mobility.
I'm actually quite shocked by the 'disabled people can do no wrong' views that are so strongly pushed here. I'd prefer a bit more of a 'people ought to respect others' approach.
As it stands, half of this thread seems to want to discredit one member's opinion on what he saw based on the fact that the poster's assumptions on what must have happened.
I think this is all actually become a thread batting around people's entrenched views and probably won't achieve anything further now.
![]()
It is quite shocking how many anti disabled people there are on this forum! Most inconsiderate.
If a wheelchair user drives at full pelt into a crowd then it is the wheelchair user's fault.
If someone on the platform gormlessly wanders into the path of a wheelchair because they're not paying attention, then it is not the wheelchair user's fault.
If someone on the platform is politely asked to move out of the way of a wheelchair user and they do not do so within a reasonable amount of time, then it is not the fault of the wheelchair user.
If someone in a crowd shoves someone into the path of a wheelchair user then it is the fault of the person doing the shoving.
I'm not entirely sure why this is proving so controversial.
It is quite shocking how many anti disabled people there are on this forum! Most inconsiderate.
I'm actually quite shocked by the 'disabled people can do no wrong' views that are so strongly pushed here. I'd prefer a bit more of a 'people ought to respect others' approach.
As it stands, half of this thread seems to want to discredit one member's opinion on what he saw based on the fact that the poster's assumptions on what must have happened.
I think this has now become a thread batting around people's entrenched views and won't achieve anything further.
![]()
we don't know that he didn't warn people, or ask for his help- all we've got is an anecdote from someone, who might not have been close enough to hear warnings
Stay at home mostly?What did people in wheelchairs do before ramps and booked assistance became available? Hope for help from the people around them, and if none forthcoming, take the chance and go for it?
To play Devil's Advocate here.
Wheelchair user organises assistance with journey involving cross London transfer, All goes well at local station. Advised that there will be someone to assist him at the London end. He positions wheelchair exactly where advised to do so.
Train pulls in. No sign of any assistance. Moreover there are passengers on the platform waiting to board the train. He decides to leave the train without assistance risking injury to self ...
Wrong decision maybe but very understandable.
Instead of just launching themselves off with no warning because the ramp had not turned up and I am pretty sure had the person made a general request to those around, there would have been no shortage of volunteers to help them off. Despite what is often said about people not helping each, I see every day acts of kindness on public transport such as this would be.
What this has to do with his independence is beyond me. :roll: It is about showing a total lack of regard for other people's safety, and yes, even those in wheelchairs have a responsibility not to endanger others. That is equality.
If the guy had some sort of learning difficulty then I am willing to make some allowances. In that case, risk assessments for him being allowed out by himself may need to be revisited.
If I was in this guys situation I'd jump off the train, if someone gets hurt it's their fault.