221129
Established Member
Not even a thing here. Even herself has understood the importance of fitness and excercise for the health of the population.and presumably Scotland)
Not even a thing here. Even herself has understood the importance of fitness and excercise for the health of the population.and presumably Scotland)
This 'essential shopping only' rule:
What if a child is sick on their bedsheets and you can't go out to buy anymore?
What if your laptop packs in, you have an imminent university deadline, you have your work emailed to yourself, but can't go and get a new laptop, thus failing the assignment and possibly resulting in disciplinary action?
What if a microwave/oven packs in, are you to simply buy takeaways for 2 weeks?
What if your mouse/keyboard/monitor/computer packs in and means you are unable to work, potentially causing a loss of employment?
What if your washing machine packs in, are you to simply use the same smelly, dirty clothing for 2 weeks?
What if you end up damaging your phone/internet, are you to go without any interaction whatsoever for 2 weeks?
What if your fridge packs in, are you to go out multiple times a day to buy food just before you want to make it?
What if you tear some clothes you need for an online meeting, are you to simply ignore that?
What if your phone charger packs in, are you to simply go without a phone for 2 weeks?
There's so many problems with this absolutely ridiculous rule it's unbelievable anyone is even considering implementing it, let alone that it has actually happened.
But seriously, who buys laptops from a shop in 2020? I bought one in Dixons in 1999. Since then I have not bought computer hardware from an in-person store - and your typical student is tech-savvier than middle aged me.
The lunatics really have taken over the asylum if that story from Chester is true![]()
I suspect if they had said supermarkets had to close completely, with the army distributing basic rations to houses, some people would think it was a great idea.
Profiteering?If the supermarkets weren't profiteering by putting up their delivery charges (Tesco now £4.50 for all slots, used to be able to get them for £2 if you weren't too fussy on time), then more people wouldn't have to leave home for basic essentials.
Presumably Tesco etc. can still deliver items classed as non-essential if you're having a delivery anyway?
Many shops sell more than one type of product in their stores, and some – such as supermarkets or department stores – sell many types of products there. As of 23 October, there are now restrictions on what products may be sold in stores. Other products can only be sold through delivery services, whether that is conducted online, by telephone or mail order.
This has been done in view of the need for everybody to stay at home unless it is necessary to leave. People should not leave home to buy any goods that aren’t essential during the firebreak period. It also follows that in order to maintain a level playing field and to reduce interaction between people away from home, shops that sell multiple products should not be allowed to sell products sold by a shop that has been required to close.
If the supermarkets weren't profiteering by putting up their delivery charges (Tesco now £4.50 for all slots, used to be able to get them for £2 if you weren't too fussy on time), then more people wouldn't have to leave home for basic essentials.
To be fair, it's always been said that supermarkets make a loss on their home delivery services. And over recent months they've invested heavily in expanding it with extra vans and staff. £4.50 is not unreasonable really - I doubt they're making a huge profit given the costs involved. And with more people being at home during the day, there's probably less reason to charge different prices at different times.
Actually I find I spend way more when I shop in person. About £150 for a weeks groceries for the family. If I do it online I spend about £90.I guess £4.50 isn't going to cover their delivery costs, but if it encourages people to spend more than they really need to then surely they make it up that way.
Actually I find I spend way more when I shop in person. About £150 for a weeks groceries for the family. If I do it online I spend about £90.
Just the two of us and out two small children. But we eat quite well I suppose. About 40 quid of that will be fresh fruit and veg, which I guess is quite a lot. We get through gallons (and I mean about 3 or 4 gallons a week) of milk. There always seems to be a bottle of gin or Jack Daniels to be replenished. Don't buy a lot of meat as Mrs is vegetarian and I can't be bothered cooking multiple meals so me and the eldest son eat veggie too. I buy meat for the younger one and batch cook and freeze chicken casseroles and things like that for him. Things like cheese I'll tend to buy the expensive stuff because the sweaty blocks of anaemic cheddar aren't worth eating.Good grief, how big is your family?![]()
![]()
At one point, the city Government of Buenos Aires attempted to require elderly folks to call a hotline to get permission to leave their own house for any non-essential task, the idea being that some poor Government call centre employee would patronisingly explain to them all the risks (as if they had been living in some bubble or under a rock) and attempt to persuade them to stay at home. The most ridiculous thing? The elderly were expected to call and request permission to leave their home every time they needed to go out! And if they left their home without permission, they were threatened with – community service! (Presumably outside the home? One can only guess). The resulting outrage, not least from the elderly themselves, forced the city Government to backtrack rather quickly, not least because was no practical way to enforce this policy anyway.
It would be bettter if the article didn't contradict itself. In the first line, you have to call to leave your home for non-essential purposes. Later you have to call every time. Which is it? Either lazy writing or someone on a soap box.Argentina is known for having one of the longest and most extreme lockdowns on the planet, and it has achieved sod all. But this idea from their government is beyond bonkers:
![]()
Postcard From Argentina – The Daily Sceptic
by Thucydides I see you have already received a lot of postcards from around the world, but none yet from the country with the longest and most irrational quarantine on the planet! So, allow me to fill in some of the gap (be warned, this gets long). I am a professor in an area of […]lockdownsceptics.org
TfWM have started issuing rather odd advice on twitter, yesterday telling people to not travel to venues or services that were closed.
Er, yeah thanks for that.
This seems to be a rehash of current government travel advice that says you may use public transport to access venues or services that are open, again equally pointless advice.TfWM have started issuing rather odd advice on twitter, yesterday telling people to not travel to venues or services that were closed.
Er, yeah thanks for that.
My dad and my step mother decided to bravely venture out for a meal last night at a local pub/restaurant.
When they took a seat - he asked for a pint of bitter and a glass of wine while they viewed the food menu. My dad was told they wouldn't be served drinks until they had actually ordered a substantial meal off the menu. My dad pointed out that they weren't yet ready to order food but they just wanted to have some drinks first before their meal.
The bar staff said that because of the Covid restrictions in place - the pub is basically getting 'assurance' that people buying drinks are buying a substantial meal.
He did state that a few customers have previously been coming into the pub, 'pretending' to order a substantial meal, by purchasing drinks then spending an hour at a table with a menu card in front of them. The same customers then leave after a few pints having not bought any food - which they never intended to do in the first place.
I personally think this is a little over the top. I too like to have a pint or two before a meal, while I grace the menu card. It seems some places are really taking the 'substantial' meal policy very seriously.
CJ
Just heard on the BBC lunchtime TV news that the entire population of Denmark is to be culled...![]()
That’s the law, sadly, and a number of councils and police forces have threatened to oppose license renewals for premises not following the CovidSecure requirements to the letter. Complaints about the situation are best addressed to one’s MP.I personally think this is a little over the top. I too like to have a pint or two before a meal, while I grace the menu card. It seems some places are really taking the 'substantial' meal policy very seriously.
It is provable that he caught it from his stepfather
If there's no humans in Denmark then Denmark will have no community transmission anymore and can lift any restrictions! It just makes sense!
Is it? How?
Scotland’s 6pm rule for hospitality. Basically stops anyone going for dinner, can’t wait to enjoy a pizza in the freezing cold. Why not 8pm if it has to be different to other places?