• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

the most over the top restrictions introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,797
I see they are now claiming that even a vaccine won’t be enough for things to return to normality
A vaccine never stopped the most vulnerable of dying from "normal" influenza, yet they still took it. So if any vaccine works, it won't ever be 100% (???)
 

A Challenge

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2016
Messages
2,837
A vaccine never stopped the most vulnerable of dying from "normal" influenza, yet they still took it. So if any vaccine works, it won't ever be 100% (???)
Most deaths from flu amongst vaccinated people will be because they have caught a strain of flu that was not protected against by the vaccine.
 

DB

Guest
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
5,036
A vaccine never stopped the most vulnerable of dying from "normal" influenza, yet they still took it. So if any vaccine works, it won't ever be 100% (???)

We know that, but I do get the impression that some of the more terrified out there really do think that once a vaccine appears (they assume that this will definitely happen), the virus will be completely eradicated very soon afterwards.
 

adc82140

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2008
Messages
3,415
First contact with my GP surgery today since this all kicked off. I've booked for a flu jab as I had an invitation letter for a free one. The whole surgery is being run from a tent in the car park. I asked how long for, and they said indefinitely, including throughout the winter. This is unacceptable. We are not a third world country, we do not do healthcare in tents. Perhaps we should go the whole hog and have UNHCR printed on the side, and supply the staff with those blue helmets.
 

DB

Guest
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
5,036
First contact with my GP surgery today since this all kicked off. I've booked for a flu jab as I had an invitation letter for a free one. The whole surgery is being run from a tent in the car park. I asked how long for, and they said indefinitely, including throughout the winter. This is unacceptable. We are not a third world country, we do not do healthcare in tents. Perhaps we should go the whole hog and have UNHCR printed on the side, and supply the staff with those blue helmets.

Why?
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
First contact with my GP surgery today since this all kicked off. I've booked for a flu jab as I had an invitation letter for a free one. The whole surgery is being run from a tent in the car park. I asked how long for, and they said indefinitely, including throughout the winter. This is unacceptable. We are not a third world country, we do not do healthcare in tents. Perhaps we should go the whole hog and have UNHCR printed on the side, and supply the staff with those blue helmets.
I assume @DavidB has the same question as me.

Why operate from a tent?

Is it inherently safer than a brick and mortar premises?

Is it just the admin (ie being run) from the tent and consultations / examinations in the proper building?

Perhaps you could buy them a copy of M*A*S*H for Christmas!
 

adc82140

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2008
Messages
3,415
I would like to know why as well. The building is huge. There are two entrances as well so they could even separate out anyone with respiratory illnesses if they wanted to. I had seen the tent there over the summer and assumed it was just an overflow waiting room to maintain distancing, but no, it's where they are actually seeing the patients. I feel another letter to my MP is about to be written.
 

MarlowDonkey

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2013
Messages
1,877

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
Government guidance seems to go on a lot about ventilation and keeping doors and windows open all the time.

There's a link at www.tes.com/news/coronavirus-open-windows-leave-teachers-freezing-winter-looms

in which
Indeed yes, same with bus windows.

Yet the virus apparently thrives, and spreads more rapidly, in cold environments - such as meat processing plants. Best turn up the heat in the corridor, blast it through the classroom and straight out of the window then.
 

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,514
Location
Northern England
Posting from a coffee shop having looked around some local charity shops...

It's surprising how many of them think an exemption is a physical object that one is expected to show...

also, and I swear I'm not making this up, at one of them the sanitiser ran out and they have replaced with a bottle of skin moisturising cream. Pathetic.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,432
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
Posting from a coffee shop having looked around some local charity shops...

It's surprising how many of them think an exemption is a physical object that one is expected to show...

also, and I swear I'm not making this up, at one of them the sanitiser ran out and they have replaced with a bottle of skin moisturising cream. Pathetic.

We had something similar at work. One place (not mine) got a load of hand gel off ebay during the time when it was hard to get hold of. After it had been in use for a few days it turned out to be water.
 

kristiang85

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2018
Messages
2,745
We had something similar at work. One place (not mine) got a load of hand gel off ebay during the time when it was hard to get hold of. After it had been in use for a few days it turned out to be water.

That made me laugh!

I was in a pub recently where the sanitiser station was actually hand soap. It was blooming annoying realising after a few minutes of rubbing my hands that it was never going to evaporate. It just meant everyone would go on unnecessary trips to the small toilets to wash it.

Speaking of pubs, this week I was in one waiting for my mate, and our allocated table was 3 steps from the entrance. My mate came and saw me, but was told off by the staff for not wearing his mask to walk to the table. So they made him walk back, put his mask on, then he came to the table where he was allowed to take it off. Two seconds later. Needless to say, we won't be going there again.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,757
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
also, and I swear I'm not making this up, at one of them the sanitiser ran out and they have replaced with a bottle of skin moisturising cream. Pathetic.

Have they actually done that, or have you come across one of the sanitisers which includes a moisturising product? There are a few "odd" ones about. I commented to a member of Booths staff that I thought they'd put hand soap out by mistake, as that's what it felt like, but as he said it would it magically evaporated after about 30 seconds. I think the reason it felt like soap was that it was one that included a moisturising product.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I was in a pub recently where the sanitiser station was actually hand soap. It was blooming annoying realising after a few minutes of rubbing my hands that it was never going to evaporate. It just meant everyone would go on unnecessary trips to the small toilets to wash it.

Was it actually, or was it... (see above)
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
We had something similar at work. One place (not mine) got a load of hand gel off ebay during the time when it was hard to get hold of. After it had been in use for a few days it turned out to be water.
That made me laugh!

I was in a pub recently where the sanitiser station was actually hand soap. It was blooming annoying realising after a few minutes of rubbing my hands that it was never going to evaporate. It just meant everyone would go on unnecessary trips to the small toilets to wash it.

Speaking of pubs, this week I was in one waiting for my mate, and our allocated table was 3 steps from the entrance. My mate came and saw me, but was told off by the staff for not wearing his mask to walk to the table. So they made him walk back, put his mask on, then he came to the table where he was allowed to take it off. Two seconds later. Needless to say, we won't be going there again.
Have they actually done that, or have you come across one of the sanitisers which includes a moisturising product? There are a few "odd" ones about. I commented to a member of Booths staff that I thought they'd put hand soap out by mistake, as that's what it felt like, but as he said it would it magically evaporated after about 30 seconds. I think the reason it felt like soap was that it was one that included a moisturising product.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==



Was it actually, or was it... (see above)
Soap is more effective than sanitiser. Sanitiser is a workaround for when a proper 'soap and water wash' cannot be achieved. Far better to start converting all those free-standing office water dispensers into hand washing stations, and placing them at the entrance to premises. Bring your own towel - do not dry your hands on your trousers!
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,797
So a thoroughly wet Saturday night in Manchester and the 10pm curfew sends everyone out of the pubs and restaurants to seek shelter waiting for their bus home.
So 9.30pm - 50+ in a bar with table service, all socially distanced, tracking completed, sanitisers available.
10.05pm, dozens sheltering in a tiny bus stop possibly enclosed on three sides, little distancing, no sanitisers, no tracking.
Which do you think covid would prefer?
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,757
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
So a thoroughly wet Saturday night in Manchester and the 10pm curfew sends everyone out of the pubs and restaurants to seek shelter waiting for their bus home.
So 9.30pm - 50+ in a bar with table service, all socially distanced, tracking completed, sanitisers available.
10.05pm, dozens sheltering in a tiny bus stop possibly enclosed on three sides, little distancing, no sanitisers, no tracking.
Which do you think covid would prefer?

If it was also blowing a gale like here last night, then the indoor bar, without doubt. Outdoor spread has been repeatedly evidenced to be negligible as the wind disperses it quickly.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,986
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
If it was also blowing a gale like here last night, then the indoor bar, without doubt. Outdoor spread has been repeatedly evidenced to be negligible as the wind disperses it quickly.

I wish they would back up all these figures they keep throwing at us with some sort of breakdown of who/how/where all these infections allegedly occurred. The figures are pretty pointless as a preventative measure without this.
 

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,601
If it was also blowing a gale like here last night, then the indoor bar, without doubt. Outdoor spread has been repeatedly evidenced to be negligible as the wind disperses it quickly.
The wind disperses aerosols very quickly, probably dozens of times more effectively than is required. If people are standing significantly less than a metre from each other though then they're still at a lot more risk from droplets.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,986
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
I find the whole concept of "droplets" rather gross. Perhaps sneezing produces them, but normal breathing if you haven't got a cold surely doesn't release a stream of contaminants into the air.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,757
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I find the whole concept of "droplets" rather gross. Perhaps sneezing produces them, but normal breathing if you haven't got a cold surely doesn't release a stream of contaminants into the air.

Yes, it does. It's how things like colds spread. You can see it in the winter when your breath fogs.
 

initiation

Member
Joined
10 Nov 2014
Messages
432
Called into a coffee shop this morning with my partner and a friend.

The waitress was insistent that despite being in a group we all had to provide independent/individual track and trace details (no app). When I queried it the response was 'the government have mandated it'.

Right... No they haven't. I'm fine with establishments if they want to make their own rules stricter (I'll avoid unnecessarily strict places) but don't blame the government or say it is mandatory when it is not.
 

Jamiescott1

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2019
Messages
1,116
Called into a coffee shop this morning with my partner and a friend.

The waitress was insistent that despite being in a group we all had to provide independent/individual track and trace details (no app). When I queried it the response was 'the government have mandated it'.

Right... No they haven't. I'm fine with establishments if they want to make their own rules stricter (I'll avoid unnecessarily strict places) but don't blame the government or say it is mandatory when it is not.

Me and my partner had the same in a pub. The person on the door insisted we both complete track and trace even though we live together.
When I asked why, he replied "its because you could of been to different places like work".
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Me and my partner had the same in a pub. The person on the door insisted we both complete track and trace even though we live together.
When I asked why, he replied "its because you could of been to different places like work".
If you were referring to the NHS app then he was acting correctly. The legislation requires either everyone check in on the NHS app or one person provide contact details on behalf of a party of up to six.

(Where a party of seven or more is permitted, for example a large household, one person per six attendees must give details, rounding up.)
 

Jamiescott1

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2019
Messages
1,116
If you were referring to the NHS app then he was acting correctly. The legislation requires either everyone check in on the NHS app or one person provide contact details on behalf of a party of up to six.

(Where a party of seven or more is permitted, for example a large household, one person per six attendees must give details, rounding up.)

It was the pubs own t&t system. I dont have the nhs app
 

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2019
Messages
1,517
First contact with my GP surgery today since this all kicked off. I've booked for a flu jab as I had an invitation letter for a free one. The whole surgery is being run from a tent in the car park. I asked how long for, and they said indefinitely, including throughout the winter. This is unacceptable. We are not a third world country, we do not do healthcare in tents. Perhaps we should go the whole hog and have UNHCR printed on the side, and supply the staff with those blue helmets.

My own GP surgery is like a fortress. If you don't have a face to face appointment with the GP - you don't get through the door. Sadly, reception staff are not pleasant people at the best of times, but since the lockdown they have turned into Rottweilers at my surgery.

I went to collect some medical forms a few weeks ago. I rang the bell outside the main surgery door and one of the reception staff came to the window at the side. She was either having a very bad day or it was her time of the month. I politely told her I was merely collecting some medical forms signed by the GP. She then abruptly returned with a brown envelope and tried to push it threw a letter box from the inside. However, it wouldn't fit so I suggested she unlock the door and hand the forms to me (I was wearing a face mask). She then said - ''I'm not doing that, I'll send it through the post.'' I then pointed out the GP had said it was okay to collect them and she replied ''the GP doesn't run this surgery, I do!''

I was actually a bit flabbergasted - was there any threat to her safety by unlocking the door and simply handing me an envelope with an out stretched hand? I couldn't believe it at the time, I've chuckled about it since because it was so ridiculous.

CJ
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,683
Location
Solihull
Brilliant so now you have to wait longer, risk it getting lost in the post, had a wasted journey and she had wasted her surgery's time and money.

Everyone's a winner :P
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top