A Challenge
Established Member
- Joined
- 24 Sep 2016
- Messages
- 2,837
That's effectively saying never, then?I see they are now claiming that even a vaccine won’t be enough for things to return to normality
That's effectively saying never, then?I see they are now claiming that even a vaccine won’t be enough for things to return to normality
A vaccine never stopped the most vulnerable of dying from "normal" influenza, yet they still took it. So if any vaccine works, it won't ever be 100% (???)I see they are now claiming that even a vaccine won’t be enough for things to return to normality
Most deaths from flu amongst vaccinated people will be because they have caught a strain of flu that was not protected against by the vaccine.A vaccine never stopped the most vulnerable of dying from "normal" influenza, yet they still took it. So if any vaccine works, it won't ever be 100% (???)
A vaccine never stopped the most vulnerable of dying from "normal" influenza, yet they still took it. So if any vaccine works, it won't ever be 100% (???)
First contact with my GP surgery today since this all kicked off. I've booked for a flu jab as I had an invitation letter for a free one. The whole surgery is being run from a tent in the car park. I asked how long for, and they said indefinitely, including throughout the winter. This is unacceptable. We are not a third world country, we do not do healthcare in tents. Perhaps we should go the whole hog and have UNHCR printed on the side, and supply the staff with those blue helmets.
I assume @DavidB has the same question as me.First contact with my GP surgery today since this all kicked off. I've booked for a flu jab as I had an invitation letter for a free one. The whole surgery is being run from a tent in the car park. I asked how long for, and they said indefinitely, including throughout the winter. This is unacceptable. We are not a third world country, we do not do healthcare in tents. Perhaps we should go the whole hog and have UNHCR printed on the side, and supply the staff with those blue helmets.
Why operate from a tent?
Government guidelines has said that schools should look to maximise ventilation by opening windows and propping open doors to reduce the risk of Covid-19 spreading.
Indeed yes, same with bus windows.Government guidance seems to go on a lot about ventilation and keeping doors and windows open all the time.
There's a link at www.tes.com/news/coronavirus-open-windows-leave-teachers-freezing-winter-looms
in which
Posting from a coffee shop having looked around some local charity shops...
It's surprising how many of them think an exemption is a physical object that one is expected to show...
also, and I swear I'm not making this up, at one of them the sanitiser ran out and they have replaced with a bottle of skin moisturising cream. Pathetic.
We had something similar at work. One place (not mine) got a load of hand gel off ebay during the time when it was hard to get hold of. After it had been in use for a few days it turned out to be water.
also, and I swear I'm not making this up, at one of them the sanitiser ran out and they have replaced with a bottle of skin moisturising cream. Pathetic.
I was in a pub recently where the sanitiser station was actually hand soap. It was blooming annoying realising after a few minutes of rubbing my hands that it was never going to evaporate. It just meant everyone would go on unnecessary trips to the small toilets to wash it.
We had something similar at work. One place (not mine) got a load of hand gel off ebay during the time when it was hard to get hold of. After it had been in use for a few days it turned out to be water.
That made me laugh!
I was in a pub recently where the sanitiser station was actually hand soap. It was blooming annoying realising after a few minutes of rubbing my hands that it was never going to evaporate. It just meant everyone would go on unnecessary trips to the small toilets to wash it.
Speaking of pubs, this week I was in one waiting for my mate, and our allocated table was 3 steps from the entrance. My mate came and saw me, but was told off by the staff for not wearing his mask to walk to the table. So they made him walk back, put his mask on, then he came to the table where he was allowed to take it off. Two seconds later. Needless to say, we won't be going there again.
Soap is more effective than sanitiser. Sanitiser is a workaround for when a proper 'soap and water wash' cannot be achieved. Far better to start converting all those free-standing office water dispensers into hand washing stations, and placing them at the entrance to premises. Bring your own towel - do not dry your hands on your trousers!Have they actually done that, or have you come across one of the sanitisers which includes a moisturising product? There are a few "odd" ones about. I commented to a member of Booths staff that I thought they'd put hand soap out by mistake, as that's what it felt like, but as he said it would it magically evaporated after about 30 seconds. I think the reason it felt like soap was that it was one that included a moisturising product.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Was it actually, or was it... (see above)
So a thoroughly wet Saturday night in Manchester and the 10pm curfew sends everyone out of the pubs and restaurants to seek shelter waiting for their bus home.
So 9.30pm - 50+ in a bar with table service, all socially distanced, tracking completed, sanitisers available.
10.05pm, dozens sheltering in a tiny bus stop possibly enclosed on three sides, little distancing, no sanitisers, no tracking.
Which do you think covid would prefer?
If it was also blowing a gale like here last night, then the indoor bar, without doubt. Outdoor spread has been repeatedly evidenced to be negligible as the wind disperses it quickly.
The wind disperses aerosols very quickly, probably dozens of times more effectively than is required. If people are standing significantly less than a metre from each other though then they're still at a lot more risk from droplets.If it was also blowing a gale like here last night, then the indoor bar, without doubt. Outdoor spread has been repeatedly evidenced to be negligible as the wind disperses it quickly.
I find the whole concept of "droplets" rather gross. Perhaps sneezing produces them, but normal breathing if you haven't got a cold surely doesn't release a stream of contaminants into the air.
Yes, it does. It's how things like colds spread. You can see it in the winter when your breath fogs.
You can see it in the winter when your breath fogs.
Breathing through your nose but not your mouth?Strictly speaking that's just the moisture in your breath that condenses rather than droplets. Droplets in the context of COVID is referring to droplets of 5-10 μm diameter - the NHS website refers to them in the context of " sneezing, coughing or speaking" Simply breathing doesn't produce droplets
Called into a coffee shop this morning with my partner and a friend.
The waitress was insistent that despite being in a group we all had to provide independent/individual track and trace details (no app). When I queried it the response was 'the government have mandated it'.
Right... No they haven't. I'm fine with establishments if they want to make their own rules stricter (I'll avoid unnecessarily strict places) but don't blame the government or say it is mandatory when it is not.
If you were referring to the NHS app then he was acting correctly. The legislation requires either everyone check in on the NHS app or one person provide contact details on behalf of a party of up to six.Me and my partner had the same in a pub. The person on the door insisted we both complete track and trace even though we live together.
When I asked why, he replied "its because you could of been to different places like work".
If you were referring to the NHS app then he was acting correctly. The legislation requires either everyone check in on the NHS app or one person provide contact details on behalf of a party of up to six.
(Where a party of seven or more is permitted, for example a large household, one person per six attendees must give details, rounding up.)
First contact with my GP surgery today since this all kicked off. I've booked for a flu jab as I had an invitation letter for a free one. The whole surgery is being run from a tent in the car park. I asked how long for, and they said indefinitely, including throughout the winter. This is unacceptable. We are not a third world country, we do not do healthcare in tents. Perhaps we should go the whole hog and have UNHCR printed on the side, and supply the staff with those blue helmets.