Tetchytyke
Veteran Member
Absolutely.A PS: A private education is beyond the means of most professional middle class people these days. A fairly standard sort of private school in the north of England is asking around 15k a year. Bedford School is asking £25k a year. Eton is £16 to 17K per term
I’m the definition of middle class, my household income is £120,000 or so. The private school here charges £25,000 per year for a day student. I can’t afford those fees for two children, I probably couldn’t afford it for one tbh. I’m on a damn good wage and private school is beyond my means.
The fact is that I’m subsidising people to buy something that is way beyond my means. Time for change.
The people this affects are extremely wealthy. The trouble is they don’t consider themselves that way. Hence the wibble about the “suffering” of having to change schools, as though poorer children never that trouble when a parent loses a job and has to move to find work.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
If things are that tight then it will happen within two years anyway, as schools are putting their underlying fees up by 10% a year at the moment. Interesting that the school intends to pass the VAT on in full; so much for their charitable aims to help people!My sister isn't wealthy and if her father in law hadn't stepped in to offer to pay the VAT then moving to a new school would have been a reality for my nephews
Of course starting a new school is nerve-wracking. What it isn’t is “suffering”.
Last edited: