ah, well yeah I do now, did you give her the intermediate destinations ?.
here's what I think it costs,
interrail 15 day pass £371
eurostar group travel
london-amstrdam £50
paris london £41
amsterdam-copenhagen £50.
nsb
olso-trondhiem Kr850 (2 beds, £90, so £45 each)
I dont have a quote for sweden actually, so call it the same £45
prague-vienna £35
seat 61
budapest-bucharest £35
bucahrest-istanbul £35
istanbul-sofia £20
sofia-begrade £10
rome-milan £45
renfe
geneva - barcelona e75
madrid lisbon e25
lisbon hendaye e30
£108
that's £935
there are then seat reservations for all the day trains
fortunately we dont get "day trains" in the deep south, I doubt you can get a little white ticket pinned to your seat down there.
i think only the following are reserve able
copenhagen-gothernburg
gothenburg-oslo
trondheim-fauske
narvik-boden
stockholm-copenhagen
copenhagen-hamburg
hamburg-berlin
berlin-dresden
dresden-prague
bratsilava-budapest
trieste-venice
venice-rome
barcleona-madrid
hendaye-paris
that lot is going to cost over £50. you wouldnt need to do it if you were traveling alone, but you arent, and it will be a mess otherwise.
estimate 50 quid a day for everything else (I'll make a more informed stab later but I think that's overkill on average) that comes in obviously at £1800 and the bar tab paid, london to london.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
so where did we get to, can ffestiniog do trains south of budapest ?, did anyone else get back ?.
sofia
go straight to base camp which will be not far from the nice market (my fav tourist attraction on my prev visit) eat and deposit luggage, then do supplies and dump that also
then tram trip
tram #18 south, tram #6 back, as it goes right across town, to obelyar and get a metro across to lublin then a #8 back
return to get bags and go
I need to look at the timings for that trip.
belgrade
there's a circle line, tram #2. job done. we are scheduled in at an appalling time in the morning, I cant find a timetable but i doubt it would take longer than an hour. belgradians call down town "the circle of line 2", it's also the route of the tourist tram so it's a no brainer (which at that time of the morning is just as well).
also, in budapest, may be we should get tram 2 all the way back from the market to kossuth lajos ter on the red line, i.e. back along the main section of the river. we did it half way on the way there, but only after we caught line #1, it may make no difference and be the more scenic route along the river.
oh, and we do have one balkan day train, the one out of belgrade after a pig early start. could be the roughest trip of the lot even with a block res.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
update on belgrade.
the market, zeleni venac, "green wreath", only a few hundred meters from the station, doesnt open till 8. we land at 04:30 but we'll be praying it's late.
sun comes up at 5 though, so after having a coffee and anything else on offer we can get the #2 tram on a whole circle for 50 dinars (40p), then go to zeleni, there is an egg mcmuffin option there if we are still before 8am and feeling sorry for ourselves.get supplies and back to the station.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
ouch, did I say arrive belgrade 4:30, i meant 3 flipping 57.
that's in total 3 hours to kill till 7, when we could get the tram in time to arrive at the market at earliest opening.
three hours in here doesnt look fun
http://www.flickr.com/photos/melita666/3028216542/
now of course we're only doing this because the other one straight from istanbul, is usually over 2 hours late and couldnt make the connection. That would be ideal, 1/2 hours coffee, 1 hour tram, 1 1/2 hour market, and most of another hour back at the station. I'm sure you can ge breakfast round this market before 8am, so we can do the tram as early after daybreak 5am) as we like. So that leaves a maximum of an hour
ooh, this looks much more hopeful
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-ph...st-beer-in-the-belgrade-station.jpg/tpod.html
i dont mind sitting an hour there if they are on the case at 4 in the morning.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
this new station in berlin is well worth looking at, I think they'd nearly finished it but still had loads of building stuff going on when i was there in 2006.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
barcelona
has a funky funicular railway
http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitxer:Funicular_del_Tibidabo.jpg
and a heritage tram to get to it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramvia_Blau
theres another funicular nearby,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funicular_de_Vallvidrera
not as funky but you can sit at the front and watch this
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/151830/10406610
I'm working out how we get from one to the other, they are on the same hill, I think there's a bus.