• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Great Adventure - Round 2 16/17 January 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2015
Messages
2,798
Location
Hull
Sit back, gentle readers, with a glass of sherry or port (or a cola or lemonade for backontrack and fishquinn) as you read about the fantastic Weekend Rover

Day 1 - Captain Ahab Gets His Great White Whale

The day started off with me arriving at Hull ready for the train to Sheffield - however this was CAPEd by a button tearing off my shirt as I got off the bus. An emergency return home was in order and when I returned 2C15 was ready to depart in the charge of 142088 which was taken all the way to Doncaster. Upon arrival, I connected to the free wi-fi network and asked if 142009 was in service and Northern confirmed that it was indeed. Jumping onboard 321901, I set off to Leeds and encountered issues. The free wi-fi service was cutting out after five or so minutes, so a report to Northern was sent and they promised to have a look at it. Upon arrival, I hurried over to the 1020 Leeds to Manchester Victoria onboard a very untidy looking 150137. Arrival was a minute or so down, but I connected to the wi-fi there and requested an update on #OperationPacerCapture as it had become known to me and Northern. They told me to go to the platform now and just as I stepped off the stairs, what rolled to stop in front of me but 142009.

142009 - Manchester Victoria by N7242C, on Flickr

"MISSION COMPLETE - ALL CLASS 142s ARE NOW CLEARED" I tweeted to Northern who had asked me to let them know what was happening.

"Congratulations and well done, Captain Ahab, for getting your Great White Whale!" was their reply

A picture was taken and then a trip out to Salford Crescent where the unit kindly asked me for a selfie with it - so I obliged the good unit

After that, it was a return to Manchester Victoria where a welcome coffee was purchased. Whilst I would have liked to have taken a much longer trip on 142009, it was bitterly cold and I didn't want to get cold and be unable to get out and about the following day. An unid 150 was just setting off and the guard allowed me to board via the private doorway - getting some raised eyebrows from my fellow travellers! Arrival into Leeds was on time and I quickly changed to the York service via East Garforth and waited for the next service home to Hull where a roaring fire awaited.

All in all, although Day 1 was curtailed a lot, it was still a partial success in that i set out to obtain all major objectives!

Day 2 - How I Battled Snow and Lived to Tell The Tale

A 158 was taken from Hull to Doncaster where I switched to 150137 for ride through the snowy lands of South Yorkshire and hence onwards to Sheffield.

150137 by N7242C, on Flickr

Whilst waiting, I spotted that there seemed to be an awful lot of pacers around - something that pleased me! of course, I wonder what happened to the DMSL of 144001

144001 DMSL 55824 by N7242C, on Flickr

Also spotted was the last vestige of British Rail!

British Rail Rides Again! by N7242C, on Flickr

Heading to the far side of the platforms where the stabling yard and depot is, yet more pacers of both types! This was turning into a wet dream for me...

Pacers, Pacers, Pacers by N7242C, on Flickr

However, it came time for me to board 150138 to Manchester Piccadilly which arrived after coming under heavy assault mid journey due to snowballs being thrown at the leading part

150138 by N7242C, on Flickr

As we came into the station, I doffed my hat, as is my custom, to Manchester Mayfield in respect and tribute to it. After catching the free Metrobus, and using the free wifi onboard, I got off and paid a courtesy call to Deansgate

Deansgate by N7242C, on Flickr

- where I found parts of the station still bore insignia and decals from Regional Railways days. As I was walking to tram stop, deciding to have a look at these strange vomit yellow coloured things, my Deansgate picture (the one above) got a like from a local bakery as well as Northern. I purchased a ticket from the machine and boarded Tram 3901 to Piccadilly Gardens

Tram 3091 by N7242C, on Flickr

Following this, I had a nice little walk past the shopping centres back to Manchester Victoria. Now, before we go on on this tale, I have to admit that going past Arndale for the first time in two decades sent shivers down my spine as, many years ago, I was on a tour to see Granada Studios and the coach went right past the devastated shopping centre shops - right through the middle of it. To this day, I can remember the gutted buildings and blood stains - very haunting images indeed

Happily, though, such matters were soon put off by finding a pub in the station and ordered a beer and chips. Whilst the chips were... acceptable (I would say something stronger but I am not allowed to do so here), there was not a good selection of beers on offer with them all seemingly coming from "Micro" Breweries or coming from places not of this world - had to settle for a Heineken. It was so watered down that you could see right through it

Heineken by N7242C, on Flickr

Oh well... Any port in a storm, I suppose!


Going back outside, I awaited a train to Hebden Bridge where I could get the connecting coach to Leeds. As I did so, 142009 was pulling out and, I swear this is perfectly true, it stopped and flickered the taillights at me before setting off again.

142048 was my weapon of choice to Hebden Bridge and a very snowy place it was too by the time we got there.

142048 by N7242C, on Flickr

Hebden Bridge Box by N7242C, on Flickr

I boarded BX12 CCE from Hunters of Leeds to Bradford Interchange where I got off as I needed the toilet and the one on the coach was InOp. After my PNB, I awaited a coach to complete the trip to Leeds and was given JRZ 7586 from Arrow Coach Travel of Brighouse which had the onboard radio set to Radio 2 with Paul O'Grady's show on - a very pleasant way to travel actually.

After arrival at Leeds, I decided to return to Bradford but to Forster Square to try out the 333s. The ride quality on 333015 was great although there was an issue with the toilet tissue (see what i did there?) which disintegrated upon the slightest touch. I reported the matter to Northern who have promised to look into it! After returning, I made a quick dash to McDonalds where I got two burgers and two portions of fries to fortify me on the trip to York via Poppleton with 155341 in charge.

155341 by N7242C, on Flickr

Upon arrival at York, I went into The Tap to try them out and had a pint of Yorkshire Blackout which tasted very much like chocolate. Whilst waiting, i used some of the last of my tablet's battery power and noticed there was a wi-fi setting showing Northern's free wi-fi service was in range... After finishing my pint, I went back onto the platforms and found epacer 144012 sitting in the siding next to Platform 2 shut down for the night. This surprised me somewhat as I had been told that, for testing purposes, the unit was confined to Scunthorpe - Sheffield - Lincoln trips so it had clearly managed to work its way up to York. I also discovered that the free wi-fi signal I was getting was coming from the unit - why it was not turned off overnight i do not know.

Sadly, as they say, all good things must come to an end and i boarded a 158 back to Hull and arrived just in time to get the last bus home.

Well, what do you think...?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kristofferson

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2012
Messages
1,132
Beer and Pacers... Is that a good combination? ;)

Enjoyed the read, a good couple of grand days out indeed.
 

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2015
Messages
2,798
Location
Hull
Beer and Pacers... Is that a good combination? ;)

Enjoyed the read, a good couple of grand days out indeed.

Thanks a lot... I got the tablet a few months before Christmas and have been playing around on it mainly to play music as I go along from day to day, but also to let me write out parts of fanfiction stories that I do - I'm quite the writer with over 50 fics and thousands of reviewers and followers. Took it out on a few trips, but nothing that counted as a spotting trip/expedition... What do you think to the pictures?

Yes, beer and pacers are a good combination... worked for me this weekend, didn't it?
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
A very nice couple of reads and you now have a friend for life in the form of 142009 ;)

Oh, and I forgot to mention earlier. The beer you had in Mancc (Heineken), you said that it was watered down? I thought that was just in the south ;)
 
Last edited:

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,578
Location
Macclesfield
Beer and Pacers... Is that a good combination? ;)
It's one of my favoured combinations when I wind up back in the north!
Heading to the far side of the platforms where the stabling yard and depot is, yet more pacers of both types!
Sheffield station is an absolute mecca for Pacers in general but even more so on a Sunday, when there are so many of both classes 142 and 144 stabled on the centre roads and the depot.

144001 is certainly looking rather "dribbly" in that photo! I think that someone must have overfilled the screen wash.
Happily, though, such matters were soon put off by finding a pub in the station and ordered a beer and chips. Whilst the chips were... acceptable (I would say something stronger but I am not allowed to do so here), there was not a good selection of beers on offer with them all seemingly coming from "Micro" Breweries or coming from places not of this world - had to settle for a Heineken. It was so watered down that you could see right through it
If that's The Beerhouse on Victoria station, then while it is ridiculously overpriced, I am surprised that it didn't have a better selection of more established ales - the last time I was in there, last year, there was a fairly solid selection from the likes of Greene King.
After finishing my pint, I went back onto the platforms and found epacer 144012 sitting in the siding next to Platform 2 shut down for the night. This surprised me somewhat as I had been told that, for testing purposes, the unit was confined to Scunthorpe - Sheffield - Lincoln trips so it had clearly managed to work its way up to York. I also discovered that the free wi-fi signal I was getting was coming from the unit - why it was not turned off overnight i do not know.
I was at Sheffield the Sunday before last and saw 144012 on a Penistone line working, so evidently it is beginning to be permitted to roam further afield now.

It goes without saying that the York Tap is superb. :)

A good read, thanks for posting.
 
Last edited:

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
Good read there skipper, not so sure I'd want my beers spoiled by pacers but each to thir own. Congrats on catching up with 142009, sure the Northern Rail staff on twitter, will miss your tweets now that 142009 is in the bag.
 

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2015
Messages
2,798
Location
Hull
A very nice couple of reads and you now have a friend for life in the form of 142009 ;)

Oh, and I forgot to mention earlier. The beer you had in Mancc (Heineken), you said that it was watered down? I thought that was just in the south ;)

Its a southerner's drink, hence why its watered down... And yes, I think I do have a friend for life in 142009

#

It's one of my favoured combinations when I wind up back in the north!

Sheffield station is an absolute mecca for Pacers in general but even more so on a Sunday, when there are so many of both classes 142 and 144 stabled on the centre roads and the depot.

144001 is certainly looking rather "dribbly" in that photo! I think that someone must have overfilled the screen wash.

Yes, although it did look rather pornographic if you catch my drift...!

If that's The Beerhouse on Victoria station, then while it is ridiculously overpriced, I am surprised that it didn't have a better selection of more established ales - the last time I was in there, last year, there was a fairly solid selection from the likes of Greene King.

Yes, it was indeed The Beerhouse... A rather strange place where they serve food in beer glasses, it would seem, and they water down the beer. I would not be visiting again until the place has changed vastly

I was at Sheffield the Sunday before last and saw 144012 on a Penistone line working, so evidently it is beginning to be permitted to roam further afield now.

It goes without saying that the York Tap is superb. :)

A good read, thanks for posting.

Tap is not bad at all, except the Yorkshire Blackout was a little too chocolatey to be honest... Although it seemed rather popular with some Americans that happened to be there.

Thanks for the nice comments and I am glad you enjoyed it

#

Good read there skipper, not so sure I'd want my beers spoiled by pacers but each to thir own. Congrats on catching up with 142009, sure the Northern Rail staff on twitter, will miss your tweets now that 142009 is in the bag.

Yes... Murray and Will are already missing my questions about it, although they have promised to let me know if she's allocated to a hull service

Many thanks for liking the post
 
Joined
31 Oct 2015
Messages
241
Nice read and piccies. Not sure what context the word 'froth' has in railway enthusiast circles but that 144 is certainly demonstrating it's fair share! Have you cleared ALL the 142's or just Northern? Glad I had a hand in helping you get it anyhow.
 

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2015
Messages
2,798
Location
Hull
Nice read and piccies. Not sure what context the word 'froth' has in railway enthusiast circles but that 144 is certainly demonstrating it's fair share! Have you cleared ALL the 142's or just Northern? Glad I had a hand in helping you get it anyhow.

Thank you very much... With the tablet, I can now keep up to date with the latest information regarding train services - and even get a free upgrades by EMT on the way home from London the other week!

All 142s are cleared - including the two withdrawn and scrapped units

#

The pics are great.

What show/game/movie do you write fanfics for?

Thanks... I'm pleased the pictures seem to have been much liked.

I write for Harry Potter, Pokémon, StarTrek: Voyager, Teen Titans, Power Rangers, Les Miserables, Sonic the Hedgehog, Battlestar Galactica, Santa Claus, Lazytown, Titanic, StarTrek: The Next Generation, Star Wars, Captain Scarlet, StarTrek: The Original Series, Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica: 2003, Stargate: SG-1, Worst Witch, Flight of the Navigator, Swallows and Amazons series, and Thomas the Tank Engine
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
It means that he wrote my comment. Obviously the joke failed. :oops:

Of course, if 47403 wrote it, it would say:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:i didnt, Kristofferson wrote it for me:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:



Just kidding.
 

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2015
Messages
2,798
Location
Hull
Older folk...who write 'Lazytown fanfiction'? :|

I fear we are going off the topic here about my trip report, but I once had to spend three months in bed with a broken leg and knee. During my recovery, I got into watching kids shows and I liked Lazytown
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
Well, it looks like you're now an 'established member', so they can't stop you now! :lol:

Have you done the 144e yet? If so, what's it like?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Heading to the far side of the platforms where the stabling yard and depot is, yet more pacers of both types! This was turning into a wet dream for me...

Oooooo-kayy, then... :shock::P
 
Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2015
Messages
2,798
Location
Hull
Well, it looks like you're now an 'established member', so they can't stop you now! :lol:

Have you done the 144e yet? If so, what's it like?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Oooooo-kayy, then... :shock::P

No, but I have had chance to observe it closely and I do like the look of it. I was curious to know why they left the wifi running on whilst the unit was stabled overnight
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
I see.

Seeing as you are now Captain Abha AHAB, why not change your signature to represent this? Or, just add 'all 142s cleared' to it?
 
Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2015
Messages
2,798
Location
Hull
I see.

Seeing as you are now Captain Abha, why not change your signature to represent this? Or, just add 'all 142s cleared' to it?

Abha...? Hmmm...

My signature is a comment from a character in Star Wars: Rebels - however, I fear this is getting off topic from the trip report now... Lets get *smirks* back on track
 
Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
You haven't told us about your wet dream yet :P

Some, myself included, would view this as a triumph for mankind. :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I haven't congratulated you on getting all your 142s yet, so congratulations! Are you planning to go for the 144s next?
 

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2015
Messages
2,798
Location
Hull
You haven't told us about your wet dream yet :P

Some, myself included, would view this as a triumph for mankind. :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I haven't congratulated you on getting all your 142s yet, so congratulations! Are you planning to go for the 144s next?

Oh yes... That is already underway
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top