Craig2601
Member
- Joined
- 8 Jun 2017
- Messages
- 202
How many TOCs left in the UK have a buffet/shop onboard? I’m aware of VTWCs “the shop” but am I right in thinking GWR will no longer have them once the HSTs are replaced?
TOCs' buffets/shops that are going nowhere anytime soon;
Virgin Trains West Coast
GWR (Night Riviera)
LNER
Caledonian Sleeper
ScotRail (Post HST)
Arriva Trains Wales (Premier service)
Greater Anglia
East Midlands Trains
Grand Central
Eurostar
EMT is mostly trolleys although I think some of the buffet cars still open at weekends.
I believe in the run up to Arriva getting the XC, there was a survey done with loaded questions such as "do you want at seat service?" answers were yes, so shop- gone!
TOCs' buffets/shops that are going nowhere anytime soon;
Virgin Trains West Coast
GWR (Night Riviera)
LNER
Caledonian Sleeper
ScotRail (Post HST)
Arriva Trains Wales (Premier service)
Greater Anglia
East Midlands Trains
Grand Central
Eurostar
A lot of this is down to very significantly shifting patterns of demand, fuelled by the much wider availability of food on stations and a lot of people being much fussier about what they eat.
Back in the fifties, it seemed that the prevailing opinion was that you'd die if you didn't eat a massive plate of meat and two veg every few hours, and so railways based their provision on that opinion. Until the seventies, there were Pullman cars serving three course meals on the Brighton line, a journey that took under an hour!
I think it's a shame that catering has disappeared from so many services, but I can see why. Appealing to the hugely varying and demanding tastes of modern travellers is very difficult, and profitability has always been poor.
I'd also argue people are more savvy about saving money and will take supplies from home or a supermarket rather than buy knocked up products on board.
Will Greater Anglia's not be disappearing with their new EMU fleet, replacing the Mk.3 sets on the Norwich runs?
That is, of course, another significant factor. The standard and value of food you can buy before boarding has improved hugely over the last 20 years or so. The supermarket pre-packed sandwich has probably done a lot to kill off railway catering.
This x1000. Even now quality is terrible: Lavazza coffee and a microwaved bacon roll? Yuck. Or maybe some warm cans of fosters or the cheapest wine option the buyers could find.
London terminals have a huge choice inside and immediately outside and you get much higher quality products which a lot of people look for these days. Even smaller stations have a mini supermarket or convenience store in or near them, plus a cafe that will have nicer products than the buffet.
Somebody usually pipes in with a 'you can have nice microwave meals these days' whenever this discussion comes up but that quite simply isn't true.
I enjoy a Bacon sarnie if cooked on a convector oven, not so when microwaved.
Yes, I believe so.With EMT are the Rail Gourmet staff now wearing EMT uniforms?
Nope.
Somebody usually pipes in with a 'you can have nice microwave meals these days' whenever this discussion comes up but that quite simply isn't true.
TBH I want either at seat service or a Bistrowagen where I can go and spend a decent chunk of the journey enjoying food/drink in convivial surroundings with proper crockery/cutlery/glasses/cups. Packing up my laptop and walking back and forth every time I want a cup of tea is a nuisance.
See the German ICE restaurant car:TBH I want either at seat service or a Bistrowagen where I can go and spend a decent chunk of the journey enjoying food/drink in convivial surroundings with proper crockery/cutlery/glasses/cups. Packing up my laptop and walking back and forth every time I want a cup of tea is a nuisance.

It *is* true, but you have to pick the things that microwave well - curries, chillies, spag bol, other pasta dishes, paella etc and *not* anything involving bread (so the classic BR gristleburger and bacon rolls are out).
True - meat-in-sauce with pasta/rice dishes work well. So do things with potatoes - Caledonian Sleeper's haggis, neeps and tatties is excellent.

What future for the buffet car: limited.
The options available at or close to many stations reduce the needs for a buffet. People can easily, and cheaply, obtain a variety of food before getting on board. I simply don't think there is a demand, in second class, for a service beyond that of very light refreshment: tea, coffee, kitkats etc. I think a trolley can offer that service but the quality and consistency of the offering needs to improve. I would reduce the number of products but increase the quality of service and quality of goods sold.