• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The future of seating on UK rail network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Joined
20 Oct 2012
Messages
4,563
I can't speak for anyone else, and i certainly wouldn't add 30 minutes at each end of a working day just to sit in a slightly more comfy seat in a traffic queue. How much longer would you tolerate for such a furniture enhancement.

I said leisure travellers. Not everyone who uses the rail network is a commuter even though the DFT believes it to be so.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
I said leisure travellers. Not everyone who uses the rail network is a commuter even though the DFT believes it to be so.

OK, fair comment, but not every traffic queue forms during the rush hour, especially on routes into London where off-peak, trains frequently have all seats occupied. So even those wanting to make a leisure visit from the Home Counties into London may prefer to get their journeys over quickly and safely (as is also the case with leisure travel on the Tube).
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,853
Location
Oakham
I agree. Has anyone ever seen passengers taking their own cushions on trains to increase comfort? I have seen it done at football matches.

I saw it done on a Mk4 once - ironically enough, I was having an on-board meeting with a senior bod from GNER or National Express ( can't remember which lot it was at the time ) on the journey in question and I was discussing the seats with him. A few minutes later, at the next stop, someone sat down on the opposite side of the aisle to us on her own cushion...
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
I am sure that if seats in trains carry on getting harder there will eventually be less forums like this because who the hell would travel on them for fun. It might become more of a fetish website.
 

Dave1987

On Moderation
Joined
20 Oct 2012
Messages
4,563
Not every single service is full and standing. In fact many off peak services have plenty of seats available.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
I've been sat on a Southern Electrostar and the seats seemed harder and more uncomfortable than I remember. Perhaps I've been mixing them up with the South Eastern examples which are more befitting my ideas of what a train seat should be.

Anyhow, I'm eager to compare the new Gatwick units on the way back.
 

physics34

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
4,094
I've been sat on a Southern Electrostar and the seats seemed harder and more uncomfortable than I remember. Perhaps I've been mixing them up with the South Eastern examples which are more befitting my ideas of what a train seat should be.

Anyhow, I'm eager to compare the new Gatwick units on the way back.

the early 377s have a spring under the seat cushions.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
the early 377s have a spring under the seat cushions.

One of the electrostars I was on yesterday seemed to have a mixture of carriage styles, some with proper seats (as with the south eastern ones) and others with ironing boards.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,891
Location
Cambridge
One of the electrostars I was on yesterday seemed to have a mixture of carriage styles, some with proper seats (as with the south eastern ones) and others with ironing boards.

There are no ironing board and original seat hybrids. Surely you must be thinking of the thin 3x2 seating. They are very hard yet not Fainsa. :)
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
There are no ironing board and original seat hybrids. Surely you must be thinking of the thin 3x2 seating. They are very hard yet not Fainsa. :)

Having been brought up in softer times with CIG's, they seemed like ironing boards to me.

Now you mention it, they were like the worst choice out of the Northern Rail seat roadshow ! I noticed that these carriages also had electric sockets where as those with proper seats didn't for some reason.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,891
Location
Cambridge
This is the original 3x2 seating I think you mean. It is not the Fainsa “ironing board” seat.
5ED1C797-35C7-4A5F-9659-84AA31D8FC2C.jpeg This next one is.

EB388C3A-34FF-4BBA-9757-F10124D84967.jpeg
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
This is the original 3x2 seating I think you mean. It is not the Fainsa “ironing board” seat.
View attachment 40613 This next one is.

View attachment 40614

I think I sat on the bottom type on the way down and the top type on the way back.

The top type seemed to be integrated with carriages with normal 2+2 electrostar seats (I call them normal as they operate on the Kent coast routes).
 

Domh245

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2013
Messages
8,426
Location
nowhere
The top type seemed to be integrated with carriages with normal 2+2 electrostar seats (I call them normal as they operate on the Kent coast routes).

I think certain sub fleets of 377 have got 2+2 seating in driving cars and 3+2 in middle cars. I think someone (physics34 maybe) detailed the differences between them all.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
I think certain sub fleets of 377 have got 2+2 seating in driving cars and 3+2 in middle cars. I think someone (physics34 maybe) detailed the differences between them all.

I was a bit surprised to find so much variety !
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,814
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I think certain sub fleets of 377 have got 2+2 seating in driving cars and 3+2 in middle cars. I think someone (physics34 maybe) detailed the differences between them all.

Yes they indeed have, they're a bit odd. The seats aren't ironing boards though they're as hard and have wider backs which makes them a bit claustrophobic (the benefit of ironing boards is the narrowing top that means you don't feel as hemmed in).

Those sets really are odd hybrids, I prefer the Brighton Express layout that has 2+2 throughout.
 
Last edited:

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
On a lot of trains the seats have to be fire resistant as some people have a habit of using lighters against seats. I know on the Metrolink a lot of seats have scorch marks from people trying to set fire to seats.
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
On a lot of trains the seats have to be fire resistant as some people have a habit of using lighters against seats. I know on the Metrolink a lot of seats have scorch marks from people trying to set fire to seats.
Its a shame isn't it. I don't get the mentality, I live in a really nice area and frequently the bus shelters are smashed up or the timetables are scorched by ciggie lighters.
 

Kneedown

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2007
Messages
1,837
Location
Nottinghamshire
I'd be happy if they could find a way to redesign Sprinter cabs to enable fitting 222 type drivers seats, or even 170 type Chapmans, instead of the minimalist, tip down, back-killers we spend hours in!
 

dp21

Member
Joined
10 May 2017
Messages
358
I know that the industry is aware of the seat comfort issue and the RSSB are currently starting up a research project into how this can be improved whilst also meeting the stringent fire safety and other appropriate regulations which have led to such thin seats.

Don't ask me for details as there aren't any as of yet but hopefully this should lead to things getting better in future!
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,950
Location
UK
21tcto.jpg
 

hwl

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2012
Messages
8,292
Don't joke - the spec for the 700s includes the ability for the ironing boards to be ripped out and replaced with LO style longitudinal if required to increase capacity (Sits back and waits for some GN users to explode...)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top