• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The 2024 US presidential election.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekC

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2015
Messages
2,443
Location
Hampshire (nearly a Hog)
Better word salad than word garbage, which seems to be all Trump can produce these days

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I am afraid Trump is going to win. It seems highly likely that Netanyahu will launch his strike against Iran next week, designed to make Biden look even more ineffective and anger potential Democrat voters so they stay at home. Trump will announce unconditional support for Israel.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,561
Location
Taunton or Kent
Today both candidates are going to somewhere in Texas to campaign, a sign perhaps this state is closer than commonly thought.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,169
Location
Wilmslow
Today both candidates are going to somewhere in Texas to campaign, a sign perhaps this state is closer than commonly thought.
We can always hope, but I don’t think Texas is other than Republican, Harris is only minimising the scale of her defeat there.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,169
Location
Wilmslow
Texas is strange state, it’s somewhat divorced from the federation in the opposite way to California, and I’ve only really been to Austin (which is not representative of the state at all) for any time. Driving back there from San Antonio and stopping off in a “sporting goods” shop I did a double-take to see a petite lady pushing a shopping trolley out of which some kind of sodding great gun was poking. It’s different.
 
Last edited:

Acfb

Member
Joined
12 Aug 2018
Messages
616
We can always hope, but I don’t think Texas is other than Republican, Harris is only minimising the scale of her defeat there.
I think it's plausible that Ted Cruz loses his Senate seat. Remember he only won by around 2% in 2018 and he is apparently concerned about the internal polls, not that I'm predicting it to happen. I would be astonished if it was closer than 2020 though in the General. There were alleged issues with ballot suppression in 2020 as well IIRC.

It's an interesting state, it was mainly the underperformance in Houston and the border counties that cost Biden in 2020.
 

EZJ

On Moderation
Joined
20 Jun 2022
Messages
198
Location
Shoreham
Trump is in Texas to do Joe Rogans podcast, which as the biggest podcast on the planet is a good move. Apparently they asked Harris but received no answer.
Trump is going to win isn't he?
I think there is a strong chance, but let's be honest up until a few months ago everyone who is singing her praises now we're saying how awful she was. I'm no Trump fan but Harris is a really poor choice imo.
 

sannox

Member
Joined
1 Mar 2016
Messages
652
I don't think Texas is in play presidentially, but the size of the state, the number of donors and other races likely means a presidential candidate has to visit, even if it isn't going to change much. See also Trump visiting California.
 

bahnause

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
1,047
Location
bülach (switzerland)
Kamala Harris is a typical woman. She has to work three times harder than any man. Or in the case of DonOld ten times harder. For years the media hasn't held the racist and facist DonOld to account. He got a freepass for almost everything he says or does. A short straw fire followed by silence. TV channels are too scared to even factcheck him during a debate. A lot of these journalists are a waste of space. "He gets to be lawless, she has to be flawless". Even CNN panelmembers are calling this out. Too little, too late.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
I think there is a strong chance, but let's be honest up until a few months ago everyone who is singing her praises now we're saying how awful she was. I'm no Trump fan but Harris is a really poor choice imo.
She's a better candidate than Biden, if Biden were still running it wouldn't even be close at this point in my opinion. Trump would be walking it. Something which I suspect he knows from the odd plaintive request for Biden to come back.

I have a really strong suspicion that Biden's legacy, which should actually across the long arc of his career as a politician be pretty positive, is going to end up being ruined by his failure to announce in around September 2023 words to the effect that: "I've given my life to the service of this country and it has been the honour of my life to serve as your President and achieve everything that we have over the last three years. But, it is time now for me to stand aside and let someone else take our country forward so I am officially stating that I will not be running for re-election in 2024." And therefore allowing Trump to win in November 2024.
 

Tezza1978

Member
Joined
22 May 2020
Messages
315
Location
Warrington
There was an interesting post in another forum I frequent (Spurs Community) about US Election polling. Will summarise the content below - essentially the polls have been badly wrong in all recent US elections:

* In 2016 the NYT presidential forecast was Hilary had a 91% chance of winning
*In 2018 the polls didn't predict the blue wave in the midterms.
* In 2020 the polls were wrong as they underestimated Trump's vote.
* In 2022 the polls predicted a red wave and underestimated the Dems vote in the midterms, and were wrong again and this with Biden having a 37% approval rating.

Its all to play for and 100% depends on turnout among younger voters in the battleground states. While a Trump win is certainly a strong possibility, a sweeping big victory for Harris while unlikely is certainly possible if pro-abortion rights women come out in numbers.

I think Harris has a 55% chance vs 45% for Trump. God help the world if he gets in..........
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,169
Location
Wilmslow
Separately, both the Los Angeles Times and the Washington Post have been prevented from endorsing Harris by their rich owners, Bezos in the latter case. So rich people buy up newspapers as trophies and interfere with their editors. Will either of their editors now resign?
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
Separately, both the Los Angeles Times and the Washington Post have been prevented from endorsing Harris by their rich owners, Bezos in the latter case. So rich people buy up newspapers as trophies and interfere with their editors. Will either of their editors now resign?
Cowardly. This is how democracy dies.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
The Washington Post’s proud history - Katherine Graham and Watergate - is long forgotten I think.
Exactly - they won a Pulitzer for reporting on the failed trump putsch irc!

Now they are scared to upset trump. America is collapsing into authoritarianism
 
Joined
3 May 2023
Messages
528
Location
Too far from an HST...
Exactly - they won a Pulitzer for reporting on the failed trump putsch irc!

Now they are scared to upset trump. America is collapsing into authoritarianism
It's a sad state to behold. I sometimes get clips of the late John McCain when his supporters called Obama all sorts but despite this he chose to defend his opponent. A far cry from the discourse and divide today.

On the topic of the elections, as I understand it two key issues are the economy and cost of gas...weren't both of these at least partially Trumps fault?
The OPEC deal and his low interest rate policy that created short term growth at the expense of economic flexbility come 2020s covid crisis.
(I'm no economist and have only read a little into these things - do correct if I'm wrong!!)
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,756
Location
Nottingham
On the topic of the elections, as I understand it two key issues are the economy and cost of gas...weren't both of these at least partially Trumps fault?
The OPEC deal and his low interest rate policy that created short term growth at the expense of economic flexbility come 2020s covid crisis.
(I'm no economist and have only read a little into these things - do correct if I'm wrong!!)
The inflation was a worldwide thing and a lot of it was to do with the post-Covid recovery and the energy price spike after Ukraine. But Biden was in power when the consequences were felt, so it can be portrayed as his doing.
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,561
Location
Taunton or Kent
Better word salad than word garbage, which seems to be all Trump can produce these days

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I am afraid Trump is going to win. It seems highly likely that Netanyahu will launch his strike against Iran next week, designed to make Biden look even more ineffective and anger potential Democrat voters so they stay at home. Trump will announce unconditional support for Israel.
Didn't take long.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
Separately, both the Los Angeles Times and the Washington Post have been prevented from endorsing Harris by their rich owners, Bezos in the latter case. So rich people buy up newspapers as trophies and interfere with their editors. Will either of their editors now resign?
Thinking about it a bit more I bet it is blue origin related. Musk is getting good press and contracts with NASA so Bezos must also.

All rocket based nonsense I suspect
 

bahnause

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
1,047
Location
bülach (switzerland)
Exactly - they won a Pulitzer for reporting on the failed trump putsch irc!

Now they are scared to upset trump. America is collapsing into authoritarianism
Where’s the media criticism of Trump’s interview with Joe Rogan? It’s barely listenable. Unlike with Biden after the debate, the press seems to ignore the cognitive decline of this uneducated wannabe dictator. Even Rogan looked uncomfortable, and that says something…

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I love historical documentaries. I’m currently watching one about the 1939 pro-Nazi rally at Madison Square Garden. Oh wait, it’s a live Trump rally! My bad.
 
Last edited:

nlogax

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
6,044
Location
Mostly Glasgow-ish. Mostly.
Been hunkered down in my favourite remote town in eastern CA since mid last week, and I've heard a lot of right wing views from other visitors in that time. The rather vocal lady wearing her hunting-camo Trump hat in the thermal pool yesterday afternoon was indeed a fount of knowledge and I feel far more informed as a result. I was unaware previously that Musk coming onboard was a campaign "power play", I was also unaware that Trump would stop all wars and immediately stop all immigrants coming across the border regardless of their legal status.

Oddly enough when a young Mexican family came and sat by the pool she suddenly became very quiet, mouth like a cat's arse. How peculiar.


(I'm sitting here waiting to board a flight home. Hopefully the UK has retained some sanity)
 

87electric

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2010
Messages
1,243
Where’s the media criticism of Trump’s interview with Joe Rogan? It’s barely listenable. Unlike with Biden after the debate, the press seems to ignore the cognitive decline of this uneducated wannabe dictator. Even Rogan looked uncomfortable, and that says something…

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I love historical documentaries. I’m currently watching one about the 1939 pro-Nazi rally at Madison Square Garden. Oh wait, it’s a live Trump rally! My bad.
Not even funny.
 

LUYMun

Established Member
Joined
15 Jul 2018
Messages
1,391
Location
Cancelled
Where’s the media criticism of Trump’s interview with Joe Rogan? It’s barely listenable.
A small transcript of the Joe Rogan podcast is enough to show him trying to criticise Trump's most profound claims: https://x.com/SwannMarcus89/status/1850066251659219451
Swann Marcus
@SwannMarcus89
Joe Rogan slowly seeming to realize that Trump is totally insane is an incredible read
GazBTSGWwAA-t5G
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,561
Location
Taunton or Kent
Trump had a comedian at one of his rallies yesterday, who made an offensive joke about Puerto Ricans by describing the territory as a "floating island of garbage", as well as saying Latinos "loved making babies". While the incident is unlikely to shift the dial much (because virtually nothing does these days), Trump has previously done well amongst Hispanic/Latino voters, so being associated with this could be costly amongst a core voting demographic. It's had bipartisan criticism, with Florida Senator Rick Scott being a notable critic, who is up for election himself and will no doubt be wary of a reliance on that demographic in Florida.


Republican senator among bipartisan backlash to 'island of garbage' comment​

​

As we've been reporting, there has been bipartisan criticism after a comedian addressing a Trump rally called Puerto Rico a "floating island of garbage".

Tony Hinchcliffe, speaking from the stage as a warm-up act, said "there is literally a floating island of garbage in the middle of the ocean right now", before adding the punchline, saying: "I think it's called Puerto Rico".

Among the Republicans criticising the remark is Florida senator Rick Scott, who posted on social media: "This joke bombed for a reason. It's not funny and it's not true.

He added: "Puerto Ricans are amazing people and amazing Americans!"
 

87electric

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2010
Messages
1,243
Puerto Rico is recognised for having a trash/garbage issue for a long time, as indicated by the Global Press Journal link here. I’ve certainly been aware of it.
Hinchcliffe is for sure a very controversial comedian to many. Has he highlighted Puerto Rico’s problem or is he calling the population itself garbage?


 

Acey

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2018
Messages
431
Hmm,for every Latino that takes offence there will be two rednecks who will be happy-clapping and saying "right on Don "
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top