• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink - Trainee Train Driver - Cricklewood (06/12/24)

PeteBre

Member
Joined
7 Mar 2025
Messages
17
Location
Shropshire
For me it was about an hour and a half. It all comes down to how broad your examples are and how deep they dive. Expect minimum of 1hr.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

DMIs next few weeks apparently :)
Congratulations, both yourself & Signalmaster.

Regarding your MMI, which I’m panicking about, did you gamble on the questions being asked (from the questions published on here) and did you memorise your answers, with practice?

Any advice would be appreciated
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kay_M

Member
Joined
18 Apr 2019
Messages
253
Quick question. If the dates that are presented to you is not feasible for you to attend the assessment would GTR accommodate you for another date?
 

Das85

Member
Joined
27 Jul 2024
Messages
26
Location
Sussex
Quick question. If the dates that are presented to you is not feasible for you to attend the assessment would GTR accommodate you for another date?
I was in a similar situation after already booking a date and time for my DMI when work commitments changed. I emailed the HR team who quickly responded with additional dates.

With the initial assessment center tests I believe you would just be placed back on the list for future assesment dates.
 

Kay_M

Member
Joined
18 Apr 2019
Messages
253
Theres not guarantee unfortunately
I see

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I was in a similar situation after already booking a date and time for my DMI when work commitments changed. I emailed the HR team who quickly responded with additional dates.

With the initial assessment center tests I believe you would just be placed back on the list for future assesment dates.
Thank you very much for this
 

signal89

Member
Joined
18 Feb 2025
Messages
20
Location
luton
Congratulations, both yourself & Signalmaster.

Regarding your MMI, which I’m panicking about, did you gamble on the questions being asked (from the questions published on here) and did you memorise your answers, with practice?

Any advice would be appreciated
Thank you.

I definitely didn’t gamble. You need to be well prepared. I thought about and put together about 14 topics that I was comfortable talking about in the STAR model. Then when the 6 questions come up you should be able to pick from what you’ve prepared. The MMI is very fluid and you cannot give a robotic memorised answer. My advice is to bullet point and know those so you have good talking points. Your topics also need to be deep and broad enough to talk about in detail as you get asked a lot of probing questions which you can’t just make up answers to!

Good luck :)

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Anyone heard back? I mean applicants for Cricklewood from December 2024
Heard back from which point? There are many of us here who applied for Cricklewood in Dec ‘24 who have been attending assessment days.
 

signalmaster

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2025
Messages
36
Location
wembley
Thank you.

I definitely didn’t gamble. You need to be well prepared. I thought about and put together about 14 topics that I was comfortable talking about in the STAR model. Then when the 6 questions come up you should be able to pick from what you’ve prepared. The MMI is very fluid and you cannot give a robotic memorised answer. My advice is to bullet point and know those so you have good talking points. Your topics also need to be deep and broad enough to talk about in detail as you get asked a lot of probing questions which you can’t just make up answers to!

Good luck :)

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Heard back from which point? There are many of us here who applied for Cricklewood in Dec ‘24 who have been attending assessment days.
I agree, the assessor would likely to ask how you felt at the time. However, don’t worry—the staff are very helpful and may ask you to adjust your example if they feel it doesn’t fully meet their expectations. Definitely BE PREPARED.
 

signalmaster

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2025
Messages
36
Location
wembley
no not yet i was asked about any annual leave booked in the next 6 months and the hogan questionnaire. Did you get the same?
 

signal89

Member
Joined
18 Feb 2025
Messages
20
Location
luton
I got offered Monday as well but unfortunately it was just too short a notice to move other commitments. They do appear to be on a go fast. People on these forums have had to wait months between stages but this process seems to be moving fairly swiftly!
 

signalmaster

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2025
Messages
36
Location
wembley
Yeah it was a short notice, I had to move around a lot of things to make it work. But it's the last process after this it's medical and referencing which is easy. So many people waited ages I think we are lucky to have it move that fast.
 

Katamatic

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2025
Messages
10
Location
London
Yes I have my DMI on Monday 24th, but I passed all my assessments including the MMI with Southeastern so only have to do the DMI. I’m nervous as this is the most important interview of my life but fingers crossed I’ll be ok on the day and give some strong responses on the day.
 

Mr 700

New Member
Joined
23 Mar 2025
Messages
1
Location
Crawley
Good luck all, im in my training course at the moment. When i applied last year (may 2024) it stated successful candidates would be going into a pool. However at the DMI i was told that they need drivers now, so no talent pool. So fingers crossed.
 

A2Jon

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2023
Messages
70
Location
Tring
Hey, is anyone still awaiting to be booked in for a stage 2 and MMI ?

Yes I'm Still waiting for stage 2, I got an email last week from HR asking me to book my assessment and then another to say don't book it as it was for Stage 1 which I have already passed, However she said I will be invited soon for stage 2 and should expect a date in mid April so that's some positive news.
 

taz01

New Member
Joined
7 Mar 2025
Messages
3
Location
luton airprot
Yes I'm Still waiting for stage 2, I got an email last week from HR asking me to book my assessment and then another to say don't book it as it was for Stage 1 which I have already passed, However she said I will be invited soon for stage 2 and should expect a date in mid April so that's some positive news.
Thanks mate, yeah similar thing with me I had passed stage 1 with another railway company earlier this year. Was told at the beginning of March that I’d be on a waitlist for April for stage 2. Haven't heard anything since or had any replies.
 

Katamatic

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2025
Messages
10
Location
London
Good luck all, im in my training course at the moment. When i applied last year (may 2024) it stated successful candidates would be going into a pool. However at the DMI i was told that they need drivers now, so no talent pool. So fingers crossed.
I passed my DMI on Monday and was told drivers were needed at the Cricklewood depot which was the depot I applied for so talent pool required either.
 

Katamatic

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2025
Messages
10
Location
London
Yes I received a call from Paula on the day but I missed the call then received an email on Tuesday
 

signal89

Member
Joined
18 Feb 2025
Messages
20
Location
luton
What was the DMI like? What should I expect? Any competency based/scenario led questioning or is it more of a ‘traditional interview’?
 

Katamatic

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2025
Messages
10
Location
London
It’s more of a traditional based interview, asked questions like why do you want to leave your current job/why do you want to be a train driver. Tell us what you know about GTR/Thameslink. Tell us about a time when you had to suddenly change your plans (work related) and how did you adapt. The MMI was more complex. Also the questions may be different for each individual based on how you answered the Hogan questionnaire.
 

signal89

Member
Joined
18 Feb 2025
Messages
20
Location
luton
It’s more of a traditional based interview, asked questions like why do you want to leave your current job/why do you want to be a train driver. Tell us what you know about GTR/Thameslink. Tell us about a time when you had to suddenly change your plans (work related) and how did you adapt. The MMI was more complex. Also the questions may be different for each individual based on how you answered the Hogan questionnaire.
Cheers! That’s really helpful. I couldn’t do Monday sadly, but hopefully won’t be long before I get another date!
 

signal89

Member
Joined
18 Feb 2025
Messages
20
Location
luton
That’s good to know. I have to give 4 weeks notice for work so extremely tight indeed. Fingers crossed to see you in the future on one of those :)
 

signalmaster

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2025
Messages
36
Location
wembley
I have 4 weeks notice aswell. I'm going to try and make it depends on how fast they are. I'm still waiting on a response for the DMI
 

Katamatic

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2025
Messages
10
Location
London
That’s good to know. I have to give 4 weeks notice for work so extremely tight indeed. Fingers crossed to see you in the future on one of those :)
Yeah i also had to give 4 weeks notice but i ended up giving 3 weeks notice, fingers crossed
 

Top