• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW - Travel Investigations Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,131
The OP can't be held liable for a statement made by their wife. But in any case it may be pointless arguing with TIL about this point.
Indeed, I think they would be ill advised to adopt anything that might be taken as an argumentative approach.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,830
they have no evidence of any attempt to short fare on my part and it would the travelling without a valid ticket that I'm guilty of (which I agree with, the reasons above detailing this)
The difference this would make in court is not worth worrying about.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
TIL normally do offer an out of court settlement (we saw them offer one last week when someone was travelling with an Advance ticket on the wrong train) but it often takes 2 or 3 letters.

I would write a short, concide letter and see what they say. I suggest you post a draft in this thread so we can proof read it for you.
 

Dan8801

Member
Joined
23 Mar 2025
Messages
23
Location
Rugeley
TIL normally do offer an out of court settlement (we saw them offer one last week when someone was travelling with an Advance ticket on the wrong train) but it often takes 2 or 3 letters.

I would write a short, concide letter and see what they say. I suggest you post a draft in this thread so we can proof read it for you.

Thanks Hadders, following advice further up this thread I've tried to focus on the apology, remorse and lessons learned rather than getting in to detail about the offence.

Below is redacted version of what I've drafted today, any feedback is of course much appreciated

Further to my initial letter, I would like to once more offer my sincere apologies for not being in possession of a valid ticket prior to my journey between Lydney and Cardiff Central on Saturday 15th March, an uncharacteristic decision which I am embarrassed and ashamed of

From a personal perspective, this experience has been particularly difficult and sobering, one which has reinforced the responsibilities incumbent upon me as a rail passenger. It is of deep personal regret that it has taken this situation for me to be fully aware of these and this is an experience I never wish to repeat.

I am fully mindful of the severity of this situation and the significant consequences that could follow should I be convicted of an offence within the magistrate's court. I understand that beyond personal repercussions, my actions have adversely affected Transport for Wales, which in turn also impacts fellow passengers for this I am very sorry.

Owing to the severity of the situation I understand that a summons may now be issued; however, I would once again like to formally offer to pay any outstanding sum to avoid this action being taken and reassure you that for any future travel, I will always possess a valid ticket in advance and assure you that I will never place myself in this position again.

Should it be possible to resolve this matter without a summons being issued I would be extremely grateful and I can assure you that I will promptly pay any and all outstanding costs incurred.

Once again, I would like to apologise and I appreciate your time in reviewing my response.
 

Dan8801

Member
Joined
23 Mar 2025
Messages
23
Location
Rugeley
Morning All,

Third letter recieved from TIL today as below, which appears to be another templated one as none of the comments I've made in any previous ones have been referenced.

What is the general advice for responding to letter 3 other than reaffirmimg apologies and showing further contrition and effectively pleading once more for a settlement?

Thanks in advance
 

Attachments

  • 17478209945818052806363696649411.jpg
    17478209945818052806363696649411.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 89

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
I think all you can do at tghis stage is a re-hash of what you've already sent to them. I think the potential issue you're gong to have is if TfW are of the opinion that you tried to purchase a short fare.

  • There are certain circumstances where direct prosecution is most likely:
    • attempted fraud
    • giving false personal details
    • knowingly claiming a shorter journey than actually travelled
    • repeat offender - travelling without a valid ticket on more than one occasion.
  • You’ll then receive a court summons giving you the opportunity to present your case in court or to submit a written plea.
  • Our process is in line with the Rail Delivery Group Code of Practice titled “Arrangements for Travel Ticket Irregularities” and the Transport Focus publication “Ticket to Ride”.
 

Dan8801

Member
Joined
23 Mar 2025
Messages
23
Location
Rugeley
By way of an update, administrative disposal offered (and paid) following 3 letters being sent back by myself

Thanks for those who've supported and continue to good advice
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,655
Location
Merseyside
By way of an update, administrative disposal offered (and paid) following 3 letters being sent back by myself

Thanks for those who've supported and continue to good advice
Glad you got an outcome that was desired.

It would be interesting to know what sort of figure TIL were after.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top