BillStampy
Established Member
DVT tonight.Morning
Will 1W96 tonight be loco or DVT leading from Chester to Holyhead please ?
Thank you
Dave
DVT tonight.Morning
Will 1W96 tonight be loco or DVT leading from Chester to Holyhead please ?
Thank you
Dave
Plan for tomorrow is:
67029 on 1V91 etc
67017 on 1W13 and 1V39
67025 on 1V31 1W55 1V42 then 1W96
67012 on 1W63
67020 on a Hereford test run
67008 to move to Crewe ATC
So 6 sets are doing 2 diagrams plus one service. Is that a new low?Update - 1V31 is now 197101.
Just to give some context, almost every day this week the number of 197 diagrams that have either been covered by a 150 (possible due to the Rhymney line closure) or uncovered (hence short formed) has far outnumbered the number of 197s subbing for other classes.So 6 sets are doing 2 diagrams plus one service. Is that a new low?
Like the general public who don't follow rail data sites, I look forward to visiting the buffet on the timetabled Mk4 on 1V62. I know that it is a 197, but only because I do check these things.
75% of this working week it has been a 2-car on 1W12 to provide cover for the Mk4s. Another example of the discomforting experience the general public get from the unreliability of the sets.
The lived experiences of Mk4s.
experiences-diagram-updates-etc.274261/page-119#post-7445336
At any given availability level for 197s the need to cover for Mk4 will impact. The point that the shortforms would be less if the covering 197s were available stands.Just to give some context, almost every day this week the number of 197 diagrams that have either been covered by a 150 (possible due to the Rhymney line closure) or uncovered (hence short formed) has far outnumbered the number of 197s subbing for other classes.
Yes this the mk4 thread but you keep bringing up 197s. So make your mind up!At any given availability level for 197s the need to cover for Mk4 will impact. The point that the shortforms would be less if the covering 197s were available stands.
It also stands that the decision to use Chester as the depot is binding on TfW. First it lowered maintenance on the 175s, then added mileage to the 150s that were covering the 175s and now means that there are stored Cambrian 197s that could be used otherwise. All of this has seen TfW paying leasing on trains that cannot be used. That is another ship that sailed a long time ago.
There is also the further point that the various classes of new train for the Cardiff Metro are not in use yet which would again change the picture. Hopefully there is an end in sight there. I am sure the Cheltenham passengers will be glad not to need to use 150s.
I think we all want all classes of train to be performing better. But as this is the Mk4 thread then the availability of Mk4s is the focus. No issues with another class change the position with the Mk4s (would that they did)
I'm just pointing out that the 197 situation this week has been such that even if all 5 of the loco-hauled diagrams had been loco-hauled, there's absolutely no guarantee that 1W12 would not have been short formed.At any given availability level for 197s the need to cover for Mk4 will impact. The point that the shortforms would be less if the covering 197s were available stands.
It also stands that the decision to use Chester as the depot is binding on TfW. First it lowered maintenance on the 175s, then added mileage to the 150s that were covering the 175s and now means that there are stored Cambrian 197s that could be used otherwise. All of this has seen TfW paying leasing on trains that cannot be used. That is another ship that sailed a long time ago.
There is also the further point that the various classes of new train for the Cardiff Metro are not in use yet which would again change the picture. Hopefully there is an end in sight there. I am sure the Cheltenham passengers will be glad not to need to use 150s.
I think we all want all classes of train to be performing better. But as this is the Mk4 thread then the availability of Mk4s is the focus. No issues with another class change the position with the Mk4s (would that they did)
I mention the class of train that is covering for the Mk4s. On the Marches that means the 197. If the 197s were not being used to cover then I would focus on the trains that were being used as cover instead.Yes this the mk4 thread but you keep bringing up 197s. So make your mind up!
True, having been on enough 150s up the Marches whilst there were 197s on the Maestegs, I do know that TfW may well have chosen to shortform 1W12 anyway and put the saved 197 (that was no longer covering the Mk4) on something near Cardiff.I'm just pointing out that the 197 situation this week has been such that even if all 5 of the loco-hauled diagrams had been loco-hauled, there's absolutely no guarantee that 1W12 would not have been short formed.
Update - 1V31 is now 197101.
@sd0733
@37052 xb mr
@MP393
@BillStampy
Morning
What is due to be on 1W96 tonight ? - and will it be loco or DVT leading from Chester to Holyhead please ?
Thank you
Dave
67005 Is en-route to rescue it67017 has shut down on 1V39 and has reportedly come to a stand at Whitchurch station.
Going straight to ETDDragged back to Crewe - 16.30 over five hours after it first left.
Simple answer to a huge chunk of the problem is the locos. Theres no desire whatsoever to get rid of the coaches.Sorry to ask a rookie question 119 pages in, but what exactly is the problem with these trains? It just seems endless. At what point does TfW give up and order more 197’s?
Another issue is finding an appropriate locomotive to replace the 67s, although with all the new builds around I'm sure they could find something to do the job. I feel most things would do better than the 67s at this point.Simple answer to a huge chunk of the problem is the locos. Theres no desire whatsoever to get rid of the coaches.
More 197s are extremely unlikely as it stands, they have their own share of problems.
Like you say the new build locos open up possibilities. Without saying more than I can things are happening behind the scenes.Another issue is finding an appropriate locomotive to replace the 67s, although with all the new builds around I'm sure they could find something to do the job. I feel most things would do better than the 67s at this point.
It's not a big surprise that TfW want to get things sorted out. I'm just thankful I haven't gotten myself caught up in any MK4 failures just yet (unless you include a window wiper fault!)Like you say the new build locos open up possibilities. Without saying more than I can things are happening behind the scenes.
What about the 68s which are about to be displaced from Chiltern by their ex-TPE classmates that have been adapted to work with the Mark 5a stock? Certainly they would have to be modified to work with the Mark 4 stock....but I would imagine that the cost of such modifications would be far outweighed by the reduction in delay penalty payments incurred by the ailing 67s.Another issue is finding an appropriate locomotive to replace the 67s, although with all the new builds around I'm sure they could find something to do the job. I feel most things would do better than the 67s at this point.
I'm not an expert on Chiltern's 68s but two things:What about the 68s which are about to be displaced from Chiltern by their ex-TPE classmates that have been adapted to work with the Mark 5a stock? Certainly they would have to be modified to work with the Mark 4 stock....but I would imagine that the cost of such modifications would be far outweighed by the reduction in delay penalty payments incurred by the ailing 67s.
I asked this question a week or two back in this thread -- the consensus in the answers was that much effort has already going into modifications and in particular driver training for the 67s, which would need to be repeated almost from scratch to make the 68s compatible with mk4s, and to train the drivers on them. See page 111 of the discussion, in particular below:What about the 68s which are about to be displaced from Chiltern by their ex-TPE classmates that have been adapted to work with the Mark 5a stock? Certainly they would have to be modified to work with the Mark 4 stock....but I would imagine that the cost of such modifications would be far outweighed by the reduction in delay penalty payments incurred by the ailing 67s.
As they are right now, no they're not fully compatible with the MKIVs, but then neither were the 67s originally. Could they be modded in the same way? Probably. Would they? There's been no signs of that happening yet.
The vast majority of the 3 week traction course for TfW drivers on 67/MKIVs is dedicated just to the locos. Converting about 160 drivers to 68 would not come cheap, even before you factor all the other expenses of switching over the locos. And a lot of money has already been sunk into the 67s.
There is a good thread on options for replacement that ran this summer: TfW Replacement ThreadAny investment in new/different locos would have to make sense for the remining lifetime of the Mk4s, already around 35 years old with many miles on the clock.
Would TfW go for loco-hauled replacements? Probably not.