Peter Sarf
Established Member
I doubt the batteries on a 398 are meant to be anywhere near the same cpacity as on a 756. After all the batteries in a 756 are fitted in a module the same size as an engine and occupy space above the floor.
I doubt the batteries on a 398 are meant to be anywhere near the same cpacity as on a 756. After all the batteries in a 756 are fitted in a module the same size as an engine and occupy space above the floor.
I doubt the batteries on a 398 are meant to be anywhere near the same cpacity as on a 756. After all the batteries in a 756 are fitted in a module the same size as an engine and occupy space above the floor.
They are coupled and prepared on depot, to uncouple them requires physical assistance from fleet. They also cannot be assisted by anything other than another 398.Out of interest, why does a fitter need to be there to uncouple units?
Is it not like normal trains where a button is pressed and move unit?
Tfw does not use the electricity from the overhead wires to power the traction motors directly. Instead they operate in battery mode and the pantograph is used to top the battery up. Yes you read that right.
That is just dumb beyond belief, but it isn't a surprise.They are coupled and prepared on depot, to uncouple them requires physical assistance from fleet. They also cannot be assisted by anything other than another 398.
They had a software update prior to introducing them at the request of tfw, we do not use the full feature of the units.I have seen this said before but I do not understand how it can work - I can't visualise the circuit that lets a battery simultaneously be charged and be providing power to the traction motors without this constituting a direct link between the overhead power and the traction motors.
I realise that from an operational point of view there may be a "direct power" mode and one in which the batteries are in the circuit, but I can't see how a battery can simultaneously be charging and discharging.
I can see that depending on whether the power demand is greater or less than the overhead can supply the battery can either be providing power in addition to the overhead power, or some of the overhead power can be charging the battery and some being used for traction.
Class 756 units for comparison can do 70-80 miles on a charge where these can do roughly around 6 miles.
Welcome to the forum your posts are very intriguing as to the set backs this program faces however I do find your statements regarding the battery performance of the 398s confusing.The 3-car units have an installed battery capacity of 447 kWh, whilst the 4-cars have a capacity of 559 kWh.
The class 398’s have lithium titanium oxide battery as well, with a capacity of 138 KWh. With no diesel generator.
Also the project afiak is fed from Pontypridd not Cardiff.
And I'd be hugely surprised if given the discontinuous electrification bits couldn't be turned off in pieces! It's not fully connected!
With respect @VR494 you joined the forum this week and we have no way to verify who are. Given inconsistencies around what you've said regarding air conditioning not existing, but actually existing but perhaps being broken (or misused). Along with lots of other hard to verify claims. So in my opinion the source is dubious. I'm not saying you're outright lying just I can't know either way.I’m afraid the source of this information is not dubious in anyway
It is interesting how the spec for rhymney does seem to have changed a few times as they've developed and implemented the plan at one point it was no wires past bargoed for example. So it shows they had flexibility, potentially that was late on enough in the project to make changes, but id have expected they could have changed TAM lines if it became clear it wasn't up to scratch.What I do find interesting is that the later electrification (Coryton/Rhymney) has fully powered sections that must have been originally planned to be permanently earthed. It looks as if they have been able to get away with smaller clearances than originally expected by using surge protectors. (My understanding is that the clearance is based not on the planned line voltage, but the potential voltage during a lightning strike).
This does suggest that should money become available, it might well be possible to reduce the number of permanently earthed structures on the lines that the 398s run on.
No. It definitely isn't a surprise. It's simply "the railway".That is just dumb beyond belief, but it isn't a surprise.
If the 756s are running up the TAM lines without using their engines then I can guess the overhead is strong enough to deliver power to lightweight 398s. How much use do the 756s make of their engines on the TAM lines ?.Traction batteries on the class 756 are (LTO) supplied by ABB, they and located in the centre ‘power-pack’ vehicle along with the diesel generator.
The 3-car units have an installed battery capacity of 447 kWh, whilst the 4-cars have a capacity of 559 kWh.
The class 398’s have lithium titanium oxide battery as well, with a capacity of 138 KWh. With no diesel generator.
Tfw does not use the electricity from the overhead wires to power the traction motors directly. Instead they operate in battery mode and the pantograph is used to top the battery up. Yes you read that right.
The wires on the valleys are not the same as you’d find on the mainline, they are not capable of producing enough power to run a full electric service and the flirts are pushing them to capacity. It’s not uncommon for the system to trip out on a daily basis. If it was not for the diesel generator many services would have to be terminated.
The system is also fed from a limited supply of sub stations, and if you were to turn wires off in Cardiff, near enough the whole of TAM would go down. Yes, you read that correctly too. They didn’t install enough neutral sections and it’s all connected.
It will be how a description is being interpreted.I have seen this said before but I do not understand how it can work - I can't visualise the circuit that lets a battery simultaneously be charged and be providing power to the traction motors without this constituting a direct link between the overhead power and the traction motors.
I realise that from an operational point of view there may be a "direct power" mode and one in which the batteries are in the circuit, but I can't see how a battery can simultaneously be charging and discharging.
I can see that depending on whether the power demand is greater or less than the overhead can supply the battery can either be providing power in addition to the overhead power, or some of the overhead power can be charging the battery and some being used for traction.
Thinking about recent events with a 701 that lost its pickup shoes (overnight engineering work left things in the way I believe). A second 701 could not rescue all day, but that night a different 701 could. Coupling and uncoupling seems to be an art these days reserved for the chosen few. Things are just too damn complex and I doubt the problem(s) are exclusive to 398s, other fleets are suffering teething problems.That is just dumb beyond belief, but it isn't a surprise.
They will struggle on - tis the British way.The battery on the 398 are capable of 10 km (about 6.2 miles).
The electrification on the TAM is fed from Trefforest (Power station hill), Queen street and a small section north of Merthyr Vale. They have run the 25Kv cables alongside the track in cable troughs from these feeder stations to other areas. And switching the power off brings near the whole network down.
I think it’s unfair to compare this project to the 701’s, it’s more than a dispute over door operations. The 398’s are sadly not fit for purpose, and rather than continue to throw money down a well on pointless test runs that keep failing, they need to make a decision soon whether to go for a rebuild, upgrade the infrastructures or another form of rolling stock.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
There’s also the issue of Quakers Yard down platform, which still slopes towards the track. This was somehow overlooked during the planning of the rebuild, and it could not reopen. It could only reopen under interoperability provided there are persons there to warn the public of the risks of items running away towards the line. So we now have to pay security to stand there 24/7 as well. There are many other interesting things that would have you laughing for hours. But now let’s get back to these 398’s
I assume there is a blame going on between TfW and Stadler on this? And I bet the odds are that TfW have not specified them correctly...The battery on the 398 are capable of 10 km (about 6.2 miles).
The electrification on the TAM is fed from Trefforest (Power station hill), Queen street and a small section north of Merthyr Vale. They have run the 25Kv cables alongside the track in cable troughs from these feeder stations to other areas. And switching the power off brings near the whole network down.
I think it’s unfair to compare this project to the 701’s, it’s more than a dispute over door operations. The 398’s are sadly not fit for purpose, and rather than continue to throw money down a well on pointless test runs that keep failing, they need to make a decision soon whether to go for a rebuild, upgrade the infrastructures or another form of rolling stock.
Is that an 810 in the background there?View attachment 196333
My quick phone grab at Old Dalby yesterday from the footpath and I saw 398020 waiting to be collected, along with two 398s coupled together (seen above) with pantographs raised and staff onboard, so testing must be ongoing.
To answer your question therefore, I can confirm there are more than just one 398 left at Old Dalby.
Jus5t like the 458s as built. I understand that came as a surprise to the operating department at SWTThey are coupled and prepared on depot, to uncouple them requires physical assistance from fleet. They also cannot be assisted by anything other than another 398.
I think the long drawn out vision is for TAM to be exactly that. You could be looking at an Oldham loop project on a greater scale, and one that could potentially come with a huge impact on terms and conditions for future of train crew based out of Taffs Well.They will struggle on - tis the British way.
In reality I do think that even 18 months ago the 701s were looking pretty dire. Led to talk (on forums) of the 701s just being abandoned. Was not likely with the 701s and will not be likely with the 398s. Never underestimate the scale of teething problems these days and the fact that solutions will be found. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Personally I wish TfW had gone with proper trains (756s) and had a separate tram network like Croydon did. But thats just water under the bridge.
Yes.Is that an 810 in the background there?
The distance between Cathays and Ninian Park is under 3 miles (2 miles 53 chains according to RailMiles) which I think is the largest non electrified section they would need to bridge.The battery on the 398 are capable of 10 km (about 6.2 miles).
The brakes on the 398’s are not the same as the 756’s and the wheels are also of a resilient design, the tyre has a rubber band lining which reduces noises and vibration for on street running. The wheel profile is also different to regular train wheel, and are not as robust.The distance between Cathays and Ninian Park is under 3 miles (2 miles 53 chains according to RailMiles) which I think is the largest non electrified section they would need to bridge.
Given they will also leave the electrified section at line speed in either direction in normal operation this likely helps too. Are the units capable of regenerative braking to recover some lost energy between stations?
Transport for Wales Chief Executive James Price says he wants ‘political and social pressure’ applied to train manufacturers because the financial penalties in contracts do not produce all the desired results.
He told a Senedd committee in January that TfW was still: ‘experiencing delays from our manufacturers, both Stadler and CAF, and it’s important to both work in partnership with them and to hold them to account in every way possible.’
His briefing paper for the committee, dated 13 January, recorded that 58 out of 77 Class 197s were in service, along with all 11 of the Stadler Class 231s, 10 out of 24 Stadler Class 756s and none of the Stadler Class 398s. Delivery of all new fleets, apart from Stadler Class 398 tram-trains, was expected to be completed by the end of the year.
Modern Railways invited CAF and Stadler to respond to Mr Price’s comments. CAF declined the invitation.
A Stadler spokesperson said: ‘We are proud to have successfully delivered all trainsets on time from our factory, demonstrating Stadler’s can-do attitude and commitment to reliability. Our strong partnership with Transport for Wales has been instrumental in achieving this milestone.
‘We are particularly pleased that Transport for Wales has begun introducing the innovative tri-mode FLIRTs into passenger service on the Core Valley lines. These state-of-the-art trains represent a significant advancement in rail technology, offering enhanced flexibility and significantly reduced carbon emissions.
‘Stadler’s sister fleet in operation on the Greater Anglia network now boasts record performance levels. Through our Strategic Partnership Agreement with Transport for Wales, we are working with our client to enable the new state-of-the-art FLIRTs reach and hopefully exceed these enviable measures of success, ensuring that passengers in Wales enjoy a seamless and high-quality travel experience.’
This is exactly how industrial online/double conversion UPS systems work. The key is that the AC supply is rectified to DC to charge the batteries (via the Battery Management System), and the DC from the battery bus is connected to an inverter to convert it back to AC to supply the load, so there is no direct link between the AC supply and AC output (or traction system on a train), though it has the disadvantage of conversion losses at each step.I have seen this said before but I do not understand how it can work - I can't visualise the circuit that lets a battery simultaneously be charged and be providing power to the traction motors without this constituting a direct link between the overhead power and the traction motors.
I guess the question is, what's the alternative? I imagine that any change in rolling stock would be 3 years down the line, if that's even an option. Unless Stadler have a load of spare FLIRTs knocking about.@VR494 's comments about Stadler made me think of this Modern Railways article from March last year:
It's worth noting here that the Stadler PR spokesperson talks exclusively about the FLIRTs and makes no mention at all of the 398s. Given that they would have said something positive if they could have, it suggests that James Price was unhappy about the 398 situation at least 12 months ago.
6Q37 was activated earlier on today so i take it this will be on the move in an hour or so.. Any idea which one it is?Realtime Trains | 6Q37 1355 Old Dalby to Kings Norton Ot Plant Dept | 26/01/2026
Real-time train running information for 6Q37 1355 departure from Old Dalby to Kings Norton Ot Plant Dept on 26/01/2026. From Realtime Trains, an independent source of train running info for Great Britain.www.realtimetrains.co.uk
Realtime Trains | 6Q38 1000 Kings Norton Ot Plant Dept to Pengam Sidings | 27/01/2026
Real-time train running information for 6Q38 1000 departure from Kings Norton Ot Plant Dept to Pengam Sidings on 27/01/2026. From Realtime Trains, an independent source of train running info for Great Britain.www.realtimetrains.co.uk
Realtime Trains | 6M39 1544 Pengam Sidings to Kings Norton Ot Plant Dept | 27/01/2026
Real-time train running information for 6M39 1544 departure from Pengam Sidings to Kings Norton Ot Plant Dept on 27/01/2026. From Realtime Trains, an independent source of train running info for Great Britain.www.realtimetrains.co.uk
I guess the question is, what's the alternative? I imagine that any change in rolling stock would be 3 years down the line, if that's even an option. Unless Stadler have a load of spare FLIRTs knocking about.