I find it outrageous that anyone would find it outrageous, given the circumstances. It's already been mentioned that this privelege stems from the days when the majority of railway workers were working for buttons.
As an example, my father is 80 next year, he retired 16 years ago aged 63. He gave 42 years service to the railway, joining the gang at Ferryhill immediately after his national service. Naturally, he gets his pass every year with x amount of boxes but although he has no car and has never driven, he only uses half a dozen at best.
As the wages were so bad for a flat week, (everything was still cash in hand with a pay packet, even in the early/mid 90's!) he literally had no choice but to have his name down for every Saturday night, just to make ends meet. So not only do you walk many miles per day for 5 days with very little reward, you then have to completely mess your weekend recovery time up just to put food on the table.
When early retirement was offered, he took it, he was absolutely worn out, all those years had taken their toll on him physically and mentally. The initial payout was fairly substantial, but again nothing like what would be received these days, I have been involved with people who have retired since from other professions who received more for little over 10 years service. We then have the railway pension which amounts to very little and when coupled with the state pension, he still struggles, nothing has changed.
When he retired in the mid 90's, it was staggering to him to find that 3 years later when I started work, I earned more than his flat week as a button marker in a clothing factory!! :roll:
So, after 42 years of service, a pittance in wages leaving him constantly struggling which continues to this day due to little in the way of pensions, why the hell should he have this one final perk taken away from him? Obviously, for some, there is a difference in generation here, wages are far better now and many will have absolutely no idea of the state of play in those days but someone please give me a good reason.
Excellent post

It's about time some people started thinking before posting methinks.
In the mid-80's I started on the railway earning a pittance - mates could make more in 2 days labouring than I could with 80 hours in (including 12 hour SAT and SUNS).
As I was in the middle of nowhere in deepest winter at 0230 on a sunday morning earning time and 3/4 X crap they were crawling home after another night of beer and women(alledgedlly).
Fast forward 20+ years and I happen to make decent money and have no need to work overtime - I owe them nothing and I owe the hand-wringing,'I pay tax, I do' brigade absolutely nothing.
You (anyone reading this) think railway staff are paid too much and receive far too many benefits?
Simple - stfu and join the industry.
Or,fight for your own rights (as colleagues of mine have over 100+ years).
I won't be giving away my hard-earned benefits unless there's a nice bag of silver being offered.