Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!
The system doesn’t retain your image because once the transaction has completed it is deleted. As the image isn’t retained, your image won’t be used to improve the algorithm.
To the best of my knowledge at stores that do it, the kiosk has a view showing what is happening on the self-checkouts with the ones that need attention highlighted in red. I've noticed it at Tesco Express stores that the person at the kiosk has their till and a screen showing the self-checkout data. Yes they would need to be cautious of which they are looking at but I expect they would need to push two seperate buttons for each check-out.
To the best of my knowledge at stores that do it, the kiosk has a view showing what is happening on the self-checkouts with the ones that need attention highlighted in red. I've noticed it at Tesco Express stores that the person at the kiosk has their till and a screen showing the self-checkout data. Yes they would need to be cautious of which they are looking at but I expect they would need to push two seperate buttons for each check-out.
What will happen at the stores that Tesco is continually destaffing, so that the poor person in the kiosk has to go out to fulfill a Whoosh picking, and now nobody is around to manage the self checkouts (or the 'staffed' checkout)?
I can very much see that the next step would be for Tesco to send the footage off site for someone (or a computer) to determine age and therefore use the staff for other things and not risk needing extra staff.
With all the issues with shoplifting, I was rather surprised to hear that Tesco is considering (or already doing) a reduction in security staff at many locations. Staff will have a safe room to run to if needed, but otherwise it seems some more losses are acceptable if it means one less staff cost.
Staff are only effective against the somewhat civilised thieves, they are powerless against the gangs clearing out the whole booze isle.
Same thing on the railway. While no TOC would ever say it publically, I expect they would be happy with slightly higher fare evasion in return for destaffing.
This is what happens at my local Co-op. If I go to a self-checkout I normally see the staff member at the kiosk looking over to check. I don't know if the facial recognition AI thing yet.
-----
On a separate issue, I note that Sainsbury's and Morrison's were in negotiations about a merger but nothing came of it.
Deal would have created a supermarket with a market share of 23.6%, still well behind Tesco’s 27.8%
www.theguardian.com
Deal would have created a supermarket with a market share of 23.6%, still well behind Tesco’s 27.8%
Sainsbury’s held merger talks with rival Morrisons this year to discuss a multibillion-pound deal that would have been the biggest shake-up for UK supermarkets in decades, according to reports.
The two companies held exploratory negotiations, according to the Financial Times and Sky. It is believed they are no longer in live discussions.
Morrisons, which was once one of the big four UK grocers alongside Sainsbury’s, Tesco and Asda, was bought by the US private equity firm Clayton Dubilier & Rice in 2021.
The deal loaded it with more than £7bn in debt on its balance sheet, and it has since struggled to grow as fast as its rivals. The German discounter Lidl overtook it in market share this year.
A merger between Sainsbury’s and Morrisons would have created a business with a 23.6% market share, putting it still some way behind Britain’s biggest retailer, Tesco, which has 27.8% of the market, according to analysts at Worldpanel by Numerator.
The last attempt to merge two of the big four supermarkets was in 2019, when Asda and Sainsbury’s almost joined forces. That £7bn deal was blocked by the Competition and Markets Authority on the basis that it would result in a loss of competition and higher prices for customers.
The CMA would have almost certainly reviewed any merger between Sainsbury’s and Morrisons, and could have required the former to sell some of its stores to gain approval for any deal.
Reducing competition in the grocery sector could also be politically sensitive, given that millions of households have grappled with persistent food inflation in recent years.
Clayton Dubilier & Rice, however, is open to a tie-up between Morrisons and another major supermarket, according to Sky. It reported that Asda, which is majority owned by the private equity firm TDR Capital, could also be drawn into deal talks.
On the final point, I'm not sure which other major supermarket Morrison's could tie-up with other than Asda. Any combination with Tesco would give the enlarged organisation too big a market share. Morrison's and Asda combined would be around 20%. Do M&S and Waitrose count as "major supermarkets"?
This is what happens at my local Co-op. If I go to a self-checkout I normally see the staff member at the kiosk looking over to check. I don't know if the facial recognition AI thing yet.
-----
On a separate issue, I note that Sainsbury's and Morrison's were in negotiations about a merger but nothing came of it.
Deal would have created a supermarket with a market share of 23.6%, still well behind Tesco’s 27.8%
www.theguardian.com
On the final point, I'm not sure which other major supermarket Morrison's could tie-up with other than Asda. Any combination with Tesco would give the enlarged organisation too big a market share. Morrison's and Asda combined would be around 20%. Do M&S and Waitrose count as "major supermarkets"?
Waitrose, yes. But M&S are only really supermarkets in very few locations - most of their food halls aren't a full style supermarket. I would say M&S would be categorised more as a department store.
Waitrose, yes. But M&S are only really supermarkets in very few locations - most of their food halls aren't a full style supermarket. I would say M&S would be categorised more as a department store.
M&S has been expanding its food-only estate considerably round my way - the one that's recently opened near me occupies the whole of what was previously a Homebase store. It's about the same size as the nearby Waitrose, and probably has a similar retail area to the food section of the local Sainsbury's (though that also has a household goods and clothing area). I've read of similar M&S new openings in other towns in the area as well.
On the final point, I'm not sure which other major supermarket Morrison's could tie-up with other than Asda. Any combination with Tesco would give the enlarged organisation too big a market share. Morrison's and Asda combined would be around 20%. Do M&S and Waitrose count as "major supermarkets"?
Two businesses drowning in debt forced on them by their owners. I said last year at least one of them will be gone by 2028
Its been discussed before on here, I think, but you only have to go in a Morrisons or Asda that you're familiar with from five years ago to see the decline in infrastructure and standards
Staff are only effective against the somewhat civilised thieves, they are powerless against the gangs clearing out the whole booze isle.
Same thing on the railway. While no TOC would ever say it publically, I expect they would be happy with slightly higher fare evasion in return for destaffing.
Supermarkets can employ security that can protect stock by pushing people out and taking back items, and we've seen videos of where it has happened - not all resulting in that staff member being sacked.
Likewise Travel Safe Officers on the railway can grab someone and physically eject them to prevent travel.
However many security guards despite the accreditation, protective clothing and training don't get involved for whatever reason.
I think it is now becoming a bit of a myth that staff can't intervene. Your normal shop or rail worker can't, but you can bring in people who can.
St Pancras, Blackfriars, West Hampstead and St Albans now have more TSOs who can and will get involved to protect the railway and they will touch people - causing a lot of shock because I think the reason things are so bad now is because everyone believes they won't be touched.
If Tesco gets rid of security the problem will get worse for society in general. Obviously Tesco doesn't care about the bigger picture and I guess they're not worried about the local losses either which can just be passed on.
I have certainly given up with Asda in the past few years - once WallMart abandoned it there was a constant decline and I find the place depressing to visit. As for Morrisons, I’m lucky enough to have a brand spanking new build which looks good and has a bakery, cafe and pharmacy as well as a petrol station. Prices there are higher than I would like, but with the recent news of cafe and pharmacy closures across the estate, its future looks decidedly uncertain.
Its been discussed before on here, I think, but you only have to go in a Morrisons or Asda that you're familiar with from five years ago to see the decline in infrastructure and standards
My Asda has become even worse than when I already thought it was on its final legs. The staff seem totally demoralised.
There are lots of rumours about what might happen to the store going forward, including the sell off of the car park for flats (which either means they'll close the store entirely, build a multi-storey on part of the current car park, or potentially build a store above a car park (which would be a massive undertaking and also take up part of the shop space with lifts/travelators to take people up and down).
I don't know if the store has already been sold off and leased back, but if there are bigger plans waiting to be announced then it may explain why it is looking worse for wear inside.
I've been to some of the newer stores and they look bright and fresh, so I suppose there is going to be a lot of variation.
The British Retail Consortium crime report estimates that 1,600 incidents per day (down from last year) happen which includes 118 incidents of physical violence a day, 36 incidents a day involving a weapon. I'd imagine their reason is that they want to get home to their family at the end of the day. Both the security staff AND the shoplifters know that they have limited powers to do anything and knowing it's unlikely there will be a police officer near by to support so it emboldens the shoplifter to be more abusive / threatening as they 'will get away with it.'
Two businesses drowning in debt forced on them by their owners. I said last year at least one of them will be gone by 2028
Its been discussed before on here, I think, but you only have to go in a Morrisons or Asda that you're familiar with from five years ago to see the decline in infrastructure and standards
I would say ASDA is further down the road of decline. But for Morrisons (my nearest supermarket) I can see a decline in the last five years. More gaps on the shelves new stock shoved in front of existing stock (I have watched shelf fillers do it and it is because they have no time to do it properly - so no stock rotation). Less putting back of abandoned items (by lazy shoppers).
Supermarkets can employ security that can protect stock by pushing people out and taking back items, and we've seen videos of where it has happened - not all resulting in that staff member being sacked.
Likewise Travel Safe Officers on the railway can grab someone and physically eject them to prevent travel.
However many security guards despite the accreditation, protective clothing and training don't get involved for whatever reason.
I think it is now becoming a bit of a myth that staff can't intervene. Your normal shop or rail worker can't, but you can bring in people who can.
St Pancras, Blackfriars, West Hampstead and St Albans now have more TSOs who can and will get involved to protect the railway and they will touch people - causing a lot of shock because I think the reason things are so bad now is because everyone believes they won't be touched.
If Tesco gets rid of security the problem will get worse for society in general. Obviously Tesco doesn't care about the bigger picture and I guess they're not worried about the local losses either which can just be passed on.
I have certainly given up with Asda in the past few years - once WallMart abandoned it there was a constant decline and I find the place depressing to visit. As for Morrisons, I’m lucky enough to have a brand spanking new build which looks good and has a bakery, cafe and pharmacy as well as a petrol station. Prices there are higher than I would like, but with the recent news of cafe and pharmacy closures across the estate, its future looks decidedly uncertain.
The British Retail Consortium crime report estimates that 1,600 incidents per day (down from last year) happen which includes 118 incidents of physical violence a day, 36 incidents a day involving a weapon. I'd imagine their reason is that they want to get home to their family at the end of the day. Both the security staff AND the shoplifters know that they have limited powers to do anything and knowing it's unlikely there will be a police officer near by to support so it emboldens the shoplifter to be more abusive / threatening as they 'will get away with it.'
Well, when I lived in Liverpool between around 2005 and 2010 quite a few local stores operated with all items behind a perspex screen. Customers only allowed in to a small "standing area" that had no stock in it, you could look at the products through the perspex and then the staff member would get what you wanted. It was like an indoor night pay petrol station arrangement.
It felt very odd when I first moved there, but quickly adapted.
new stock shoved in front of existing stock (I have watched shelf fillers do it and it is because they have no time to do it properly - so no stock rotation)
I don't know what Morrison's policy is, but at Safeway I was advised not to rotate ambient stock.
Anything approaching its best before date was picked up by the store hygiene team as they did their regular shelf cleaning and recorded on a freshness control form. The grocery staff just made sure that the shelf was filled and moved onto the next item.
Obviously this policy didn't apply to perishables where rotation is essential.
The British Retail Consortium crime report estimates that 1,600 incidents per day (down from last year) happen which includes 118 incidents of physical violence a day, 36 incidents a day involving a weapon. I'd imagine their reason is that they want to get home to their family at the end of the day. Both the security staff AND the shoplifters know that they have limited powers to do anything and knowing it's unlikely there will be a police officer near by to support so it emboldens the shoplifter to be more abusive / threatening as they 'will get away with it.'
I know its easy to buy into the doom and gloom and stuff, but the report linked above shows the number of incidents is down on last year so things are going in the right direction. I would be careful about spending too much time looking at social media when it comes to things like this as it makes it sound much more prevalent than what it actually is.
I know its easy to buy into the doom and gloom and stuff, but the report linked above shows the number of incidents is down on last year so things are going in the right direction. I would be careful about spending too much time looking at social media when it comes to things like this as it makes it sound much more prevalent than what it actually is.
I read that as number of reported incidents. The number of assaults on staff will be down if staff are declining (rightly or wrongly) to intervene. I suppose the true statistic is how much stock is getting stolen.
The small shopkeepers seem to include those who are unfairly targeted and may indeed take their own action 'off camera', and those who are buying the stolen goods to resell.
I wonder if those that buy stolen goods to resell (saving on going to the local wholesaler) are also victims of theft. It would almost amusing if it was the same people stealing goods who sold the same goods to them in the first place...
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
I don't know what Morrison's policy is, but at Safeway I was advised not to rotate ambient stock.
Anything approaching its best before date was picked up by the store hygiene team as they did their regular shelf cleaning and recorded on a freshness control form. The grocery staff just made sure that the shelf was filled and moved onto the next item.
Obviously this policy didn't apply to perishables where rotation is essential.
Supermarkets seem to be telling staff to spend less time on facing up, and making sure to do other more important/profitable stuff instead - such as dropping everything for Whoosh in Tesco (I believe they're apparently now imposing limits on what people can buy because some people with more money than sense were using it like an online grocery order and picking 60+ items and spending £100+ as a way of not having to do a normal online order and pick a delivery slot that could be days in the future).
One supermarket chain (Morrisons perhaps?) are installing cameras on opposing shelves to spot gaps on shelves and items that need facing up - and I assume they'll work to get AI to alert staff and tell them where to go, rather than have people just wandering around looking to tidy things up because they could be doing something more productive.
They have to get the most from the staff, especially if they have fewer staff because they stopped hiring people to replace those that left. And, again, in the case of Tesco if staff want overtime they'll have to agree to take on more duties.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
I know its easy to buy into the doom and gloom and stuff, but the report linked above shows the number of incidents is down on last year so things are going in the right direction. I would be careful about spending too much time looking at social media when it comes to things like this as it makes it sound much more prevalent than what it actually is.
I can't remember if it was last year or earlier, but the BBC had a programme on tonight that I think said there were some 500,000 reported cases. I'm assuming the real figures are higher because a lot of stores probably don't report everything. The small shopkeeper may not have the time, or figure the police won't turn up, while the bigger stores may find it ties staff up too much doing reports.
So, while cases may be down, it's still way out of control and there's a LONG way to go.
One supermarket chain (Morrisons perhaps?) are installing cameras on opposing shelves to spot gaps on shelves and items that need facing up - and I assume they'll work to get AI to alert staff and tell them where to go, rather than have people just wandering around looking to tidy things up because they could be doing something more productive.
One supermarket chain (Morrisons perhaps?) are installing cameras on opposing shelves to spot gaps on shelves and items that need facing up - and I assume they'll work to get AI to alert staff and tell them where to go, rather than have people just wandering around looking to tidy things up because they could be doing something more productive.
The big chains already have predictive gap identification from their stock and till systems and use it for the faster moving articles - the systems know the average selling frequency of products by hour across the day, and if a product shows positive store stock but nil sales for a defined period (eg the average gap between sales + 100%) it prompts a check.
There are then three outcomes:
1 it’s a false alarm, there is stock on the shelf
2 there’s a gap and stock in the back so it’s replenished
3 there’s a gap and no reserve stock so the store stock file is corrected to zero
The faster moving the product the more accurate and useful it is. For slow sellers you get too many false alarms.
When I was at the Coop we did a load of trials with it, but it’s not really suitable for convenience retailing because there just aren’t enough products that sell fast enough, but for the superstores it can be very useful
We are aware of an issue with emails from the Forum to Microsoft-based email accounts (hotmail/outlook/live.com email addresses). This is being looked into currently, thanks for your patience meanwhile.