Well said, I'm sure you're also typical of the vast majority of your colleagues.
I get frustrated by the jealous/envious arguments put out by rail staff (although I understand why they say it). In my own case, I'm not in the least jealous or envious, and wouldn't want the job anyway, but any comments I make are still just as likely to be taken as simply envy. It might help healthy discussion if rail staff stopped throwing out the same old terminology every time that anybody questions their actions.
I'm very well aware how fortunate I am to be in the job I am, and I will never take it for granted. But when I talk to people about the nitty gritty of my job they actually start to understand why we are paid what we are. Most pay talk disputes are to do with conditions and not just the headline salary. Of course people always look at the headline salary, and not the conditions that might be at the heart of the matter and not the headline salary.