johnnychips
Established Member
I'm sure this topic must have been raised before, but I've done a few searches and can't find a thread. I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this in, but do move it if it isn't.
Ever since I've been able to buy alcohol, it's been accepted that prices of beers on train buffets, and later, trolleys, are quite expensive. This seems to be acceptable, and in some respects avoidable if you plan ahead and get beer in before you travel. So...
I was rather shocked tonight at Sheffield station, that a pint (568 ml) can of Stella cost £2.95 in the Whistle Stop shop. Now I might have expected it to be a bit more than normal, or perhaps half again on a supermarket price, but this did seem to be excessive.
I went to the beer shop at the top of the steel fountain and bought four cans (only 500ml though) for £6.20, which pleased me greatly, and I even had time for a pint in the Tap.
Is it a case of 'what the market will bear' and perhaps these shops have a great rent burden? Conversely, are there any good value shops in stations you know?
Ever since I've been able to buy alcohol, it's been accepted that prices of beers on train buffets, and later, trolleys, are quite expensive. This seems to be acceptable, and in some respects avoidable if you plan ahead and get beer in before you travel. So...
I was rather shocked tonight at Sheffield station, that a pint (568 ml) can of Stella cost £2.95 in the Whistle Stop shop. Now I might have expected it to be a bit more than normal, or perhaps half again on a supermarket price, but this did seem to be excessive.
I went to the beer shop at the top of the steel fountain and bought four cans (only 500ml though) for £6.20, which pleased me greatly, and I even had time for a pint in the Tap.
Is it a case of 'what the market will bear' and perhaps these shops have a great rent burden? Conversely, are there any good value shops in stations you know?
Last edited: