• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station shop prices (in particular, beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxy321

Member
Joined
20 Jun 2016
Messages
449
My 'waiting room' after work in Brum is either the Wellington, Post Office Vaults or The Woodman near Curzon St. station building. Buy 5, get one free, which comes out at about £2.60 a pint. Rather good for the city centre.

The Old Contemptibles near Snow Hill station is a fiver a pint and full of lovies who don't know better.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
£2.95 may be a bargain for a good pint. I don't class a can of Stella as a good pint!

As with all these prices, it's supply and demand. Coupled with opportunity and inertia. There's a Tesco 5 minutes stroll from Crewe, though few people make that walk, though lack of knowledge, laziness or lack of time.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just go to the tap and have a nice pint in a relaxing atmosphere - easy.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My 'waiting room' after work in Brum is either the Wellington, Post Office Vaults or The Woodman near Curzon St. station building. Buy 5, get one free, which comes out at about £2.60 a pint. Rather good for the city centre.

The Old Contemptibles near Snow Hill station is a fiver a pint and full of lovies who don't know better.

Aye - but whats the ale like? ;)
 

HowardGWR

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2013
Messages
4,981
My 'waiting room' after work in Brum is either the Wellington, Post Office Vaults or The Woodman near Curzon St. station building. Buy 5, get one free, which comes out at about £2.60 a pint. Rather good for the city centre.

The Old Contemptibles near Snow Hill station is a fiver a pint and full of lovies who don't know better.

(see bold) The only snag I can see with that is finding the right platform (or as it's Brum, perhaps the right station) afterwards. :D
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,575
Location
Macclesfield
My 'waiting room' after work in Brum is either the Wellington, Post Office Vaults or The Woodman near Curzon St. station building. Buy 5, get one free, which comes out at about £2.60 a pint. Rather good for the city centre.
You're doing very well to get six pints at an average of £2.60 a go even with the sixth pint free offer in any of The Wellington, P.O.V. or Woodman: It's not a huge difference but my experience would suggest a minimum of £2.75 a pint for even the more regular ales (£3.30 a pint in real terms), and the Post Office Vaults in particular can be a bit of a rip off for some of the stuff they sell in my view.
The Old Contemptibles near Snow Hill station is a fiver a pint and full of lovies who don't know better.
The Contemptibles doesn't charge anywhere near £5 a pint. I typically find their prices to be only slightly greater than, and often comparable to, those charged in the Post Office Vaults, with a much better chance of finding what I want to drink, in a more palatable condition, in pleasanter surroundings to boot (I am very much in favour of time well spent in The Wellington, though, and don't have anything against the Post Office Vaults particularly).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
(see bold) The only snag I can see with that is finding the right platform (or as it's Brum, perhaps the right station) afterwards. :D
Lightweight. ;) Though two goes round on the "sixth pint free" deal and I could understand your point. :D
 
Last edited:

DeeGee

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,137
Location
Great Grimsby
You can get a can of Budweiser now with your Burger King at Sheffield Station for two quid.

That surprised me.
 

johntea

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2010
Messages
3,052
Funnily enough I was in this situation today - off to Blackpool for the day so fancied a couple of tins for the ride got to Leeds with a tight connection so checked Pumpkin Cafe - £3 odd for a 500ml can! (And no offers that I could see)

In the end I legged it to Sainsbury's and bought 4 x 440ml for a much cheaper price!

Another point about Pumpkin was even if I had fancied paying the price there was only one person serving so if anyone in front of you wanted a hot drink it would basically be game over anyway!
 

Be3G

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2012
Messages
1,599
Location
Chingford
I haven't used any SSP outlets for a good while in stations now, like Upper Crust, Delice De France, Camden Food Co etc, since a year or two back they substantially downgraded their products.

Upper Crust was guilty of this more than most, in the space of a month they
- Reduced the size of their baguettes
- Increased the price
- Reduced the Bite Discount from 20% to 10%
- Removed their 3 hours promise and changed it to 6 hours.

Yikes! Back in the mid–late 2000s I used Upper Crust regularly; a large well-filled baguette for between about £2.60–£3.30 after Bite discount seemed good value in central London. I remember being disappointed when they downgraded what was a two hour freshness promise to three hours. :(
 
Joined
10 Mar 2013
Messages
1,010
M&S have a standardised pricing policy, so station/airport outlets are no more expensive than high street, which actually makes them very reasonable along with the quality you expect from M&S.

which give the bad PR major supermarkets got for running 3 pricing systems ( express / local , 'metro ' and standard ) is perhaps unsuprising ...
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
I thought Nicholas Angel blew that place wide open!

Conveniently-placed supermarkets are often useful in these circumstances - Bangor, for example, has an ASDA close by. The Sainsbury's in Deal is another good one.

There's actually a lot of stations with close proximity to a supermarket. Windermere has the wonderful Booths next to the station.

Others I can think of where a supermarket is very close by;

Nuneaton (ASDA), Great Yarmouth (ASDA), Keighley (Sainsbury's), Rhyl (Morrison's), Burnley Central (ASDA), Skipton (Morrison's), New Pudsey (ASDA).

Anymore that you can think of?
 

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2009
Messages
3,852
Location
UK
Yikes! Back in the mid–late 2000s I used Upper Crust regularly; a large well-filled baguette for between about £2.60–£3.30 after Bite discount seemed good value in central London. I remember being disappointed when they downgraded what was a two hour freshness promise to three hours. :(

It was three hours, and for a very small time went to four hours in a select number of stores now there is no strict promise but I was told it was 6 hours at most in all but the smallest stores, but they are not openly advertising any promise these days like they used to which gives me the impression it's not that strict.

A lot of Upper Crust was changed to Pumpkin at smaller stores in the last year and the stations that had two reduced to one. The international stores had an even bigger price hike, in Dublin Airport the Hog Roast Baguette is €6.49 and the others are at least €5.50.

SSP stuff isn't bad actually quality wise, it's just that now there is no reason, to shop there, the changes in the last 12-18 months have downgraded the products and increased the price to the point where there is no reason to go there anymore when there are better options.

However how much that is due to them looking for too much and how much is due to the rates being increased by Network Rail is open to debate.
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
There's actually a lot of stations with close proximity to a supermarket. Windermere has the wonderful Booths next to the station.

Others I can think of where a supermarket is very close by;

Nuneaton (ASDA), Great Yarmouth (ASDA), Keighley (Sainsbury's), Rhyl (Morrison's), Burnley Central (ASDA), Skipton (Morrison's), New Pudsey (ASDA).

Anymore that you can think of?

New thread time!
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
which give the bad PR major supermarkets got for running 3 pricing systems ( express / local , 'metro ' and standard ) is perhaps unsuprising ...

Plus I find that these little metro/local shops never seem to have what I want.
 

syorksdeano

Member
Joined
7 Jan 2011
Messages
780
There's actually a lot of stations with close proximity to a supermarket. Windermere has the wonderful Booths next to the station.

Others I can think of where a supermarket is very close by;

Nuneaton (ASDA), Great Yarmouth (ASDA), Keighley (Sainsbury's), Rhyl (Morrison's), Burnley Central (ASDA), Skipton (Morrison's), New Pudsey (ASDA).

Anymore that you can think of?
Asda at Keighley is a hell of a lot nearer
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
275ml bottle of Peroni in Starbucks on Taunton station - £4.40.

Price list said 330ml. I queried this but because till scanned it at £4.40 that was the price they were charging.

Typical SSP pricing.
 
Last edited:
Joined
10 Mar 2013
Messages
1,010
Plus I find that these little metro/local shops never seem to have what I want.

depends on the expectations you have ... the locals/ express aren't they have 'corner shop' levels of stock and breadth of lines

the Metros like the other smaller stores ( e.g. ex netto Asda) carry a subset , i don;t know how much influence the store managers have on what that subset is ...
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
The Sainsbury's at Euston stocks eccles cakes, which surprised me.

Maybe they're catering for the North West market, after all Euston serves the region.

I was equally surprised a few years ago to see Tennents Lager on sale in Thresher there, but it also serves Scotland too. Why anyone would want to drink it though, I don't know. Awful fizz.
 

DeeGee

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,137
Location
Great Grimsby
275ml bottle of Peroni in Starbucks on Taunton station - £4.40.

Price list said 330ml. I queried this but because till scanned it at £4.40 that was the price they were charging.

Typical SSP pricing.

They charge that at Starbucks in Doncaster. In the Pumpkin days it was two cans for a fiver. If I've got more than 20 minutes to wait I turn right out the the station and go to the pub.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
depends on the expectations you have ... the locals/ express aren't they have 'corner shop' levels of stock and breadth of lines

the Metros like the other smaller stores ( e.g. ex netto Asda) carry a subset , i don;t know how much influence the store managers have on what that subset is ...

Providing decent beer in cans seems to be a particular blind spot.
 

Antman

Established Member
Joined
3 May 2013
Messages
6,840
The Sainsbury's at Euston stocks eccles cakes, which surprised me.

I think most branches of Sainsburys do?

I was going to buy some beers from an outlet on London Victoria station until I saw the price of them, went across the road to Sainsburys (since demolished) and bought the same beers for little more than half the price.
 
Last edited:

RailAleFan

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
337
Location
Midlands
275ml bottle of Peroni in Starbucks on Taunton station - £4.40.

Price list said 330ml. I queried this but because till scanned it at £4.40 that was the price they were charging.

Typical SSP pricing.

What style cap?

I've seen a couple of SSP Starbucks selling Peroni but they looked like "normal" bottles that require a bottle opener which I didn't think was ideal for taking on to a train, whereas the cider they were selling (didn't catch what it was) had some kind of ring-pull type cap...
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
M&S have a standardised pricing policy, so station/airport outlets are no more expensive than high street, which actually makes them very reasonable along with the quality you expect from M&S.

.

Are you sure about that? I thought motorway service M&S charged more, though not hugely so.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
The Sainsbury's at Euston stocks eccles cakes, which surprised me.

We do get eccles cakes down south you know!!

On the subject of beer though - I do often find myself buying the 4 cans of coors light in the whistle stop for £6.50 as its a better deal than on the train though I am now fond of the Hop on Board beer that VTEC have started selling even if it is a bit on the [pricey side but cheaper than the lager they sell.
 

Matt_pool

Member
Joined
9 Nov 2016
Messages
371
M&S have a standardised pricing policy, so station/airport outlets are no more expensive than high street, which actually makes them very reasonable along with the quality you expect from M&S.

The generically branded Cider is actually made by Westons, not sure what the beers are but it's all decent stuff.

They've been my first choice for years when the other options are very expensive station shops.

The M&S at Liverpool Lime Street charges £1.09 for 1 can of that cider, or £3.95 for 4.

I like their range of canned craft beers. Some of them are brewed by Fourpure (London).

The bottles of M&S "Citra" are £2.65 for a 500ml bottle and are actually brewed by Oakham, and is in fact a bottle conditioned and stronger version of the wonderful Oakham Citra that most decent real ale pubs have on from time to time!

There's also a Sainsbury's Local opposite Lime St station. Decent prices on 4 packs of lager and cider, and you can also pick up bottles of Sainsbury's brand "Porter" (can't remember who brews it) for £1.60. Badgers "Blandford Flyer" and a few others can be had for £1.60 - £1.85.

There's a Tesco Metro down on Clayton Square with an even bigger choice if you have more time.

And you've also got the North Western 'spoons at Lime Street station; but expect a very long wait to get served at the bar. It's quicker to walk over to the Richard J Blacker 'spoons across the road!
 
Last edited:

mirodo

Member
Joined
7 Nov 2011
Messages
649
What style cap?

I've seen a couple of SSP Starbucks selling Peroni but they looked like "normal" bottles that require a bottle opener which I didn't think was ideal for taking on to a train, whereas the cider they were selling (didn't catch what it was) had some kind of ring-pull type cap...

You need one of these: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Key-Shaped-Shape-Bottle-Opener-Novelty-Keyring-UK-Seller-/252417761397
 
Last edited:

johntea

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2010
Messages
3,052
It is something that I always forget to carry even though I own a keyring sized one. Aren't some manufacturers trialling tops you can remove by 'twisting' them these days?

For travelling though the only problem with glass bottles is what to do with them after consuming, can hardly chuck it in a train bin (I'm sure some people do! :roll: ) so have to carry it around until you find a suitable recycling bin
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,575
Location
Macclesfield
For travelling though the only problem with glass bottles is what to do with them after consuming, can hardly chuck it in a train bin (I'm sure some people do! :roll: ) so have to carry it around until you find a suitable recycling bin
Given the quantity of recyclable materials that undoubtedly get chucked into train bins, it seems a bit strange to me to single out glass bottles for special treatment. I've never had a problem with disposing of them this way, personally.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The M&S at Liverpool Lime Street charges £1.09 for 1 can of that cider, or £3.95 for 4.

I like their range of canned craft beers. Some of them are brewed by Fourpure (London).

The bottles of M&S "Citra" are £2.65 for a 500ml bottle and are actually brewed by Oakham, and is in fact a bottle conditioned and stronger version of the wonderful Oakham Citra that most decent real ale pubs have on from time to time!
In general I only buy beer or cider from on station retail outlets as a distress purchase when a short connection time or other constraints on my time preclude better forward planning or the opportunity to walk somewhere further afield, but I must say that on station M&S outlets are a godsend and I'll much more readily part with my cash in them: A truly excellent selection of ales and ciders (I think it's great that their own brand four pack cans of cider are produced by Westons) at not outlandish prices.

I remember the M&S at Sheffield station being a lifesaver when needing to replenish alcoholic supplies on a railtour that paused there briefly to reverse: While most of the passengers on the train charged off to grab photos of the locomotives (which we seemed to have in abundance at both ends of the train), me and my mate made a dash for the booze shelves of M&S. :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top