(Detail removed- but I used a valid ticket that the gateline staff didn't like)
The ticket was accepted without question on the train (other than the guard making sure I knew this was a slower way), and I headed to the gateline. Ticket didn't work, as I expected.
Gateline staff didn't accept it and escorted me to the ticket office, citing that the ticket gates are always right (not quite the truth is it).
The woman at the ticket office was very very rude and confrontational. I know that's the usual line from people on this part of the forum, but she was not at all pleasant. She refused to accept anything from NRE and basically, I was wrong and she was right.
I said I didn't wish to purchase another ticket and would like to leave (my bus was due). Her response was to then demand that the BTP were called and the gateline staff member radioed through. Not, "pay up or we'll get BTP", just jumped straight to getting them involved.
At this point, I panicked and just paid for a new ticket. Again, maybe another cliche for this forum but I have horrible anxiety and cannot deal with confrontation. I really just wanted to get away. I however missed my bus and it was a damp trudge to my friend's place.
I appreciate that the ticket is a bit unusual, albeit a valid one. The new fare paid was £13 (so I was allowed to use my railcard, that's one plus I guess).
But was such an attitude really necessary? Practically yelling at me from the outset then getting police involved as soon as I say I wasn't going to bend over for them? BTP never materialised.
I was never abusive or confrontational. I did get somewhat panicky but didn't get personal or shout down the place. Granted, I probably could have just walked out, but I don't know what powers the barrier staff had/whether police were around, running off probably wouldn't have been a good look!
In summary- I used a valid ticket, they didn't like it, called the police, forced me to pay up and also retained my ticket (I do however have the new ticket).
The ticket was accepted without question on the train (other than the guard making sure I knew this was a slower way), and I headed to the gateline. Ticket didn't work, as I expected.
Gateline staff didn't accept it and escorted me to the ticket office, citing that the ticket gates are always right (not quite the truth is it).
The woman at the ticket office was very very rude and confrontational. I know that's the usual line from people on this part of the forum, but she was not at all pleasant. She refused to accept anything from NRE and basically, I was wrong and she was right.
I said I didn't wish to purchase another ticket and would like to leave (my bus was due). Her response was to then demand that the BTP were called and the gateline staff member radioed through. Not, "pay up or we'll get BTP", just jumped straight to getting them involved.
At this point, I panicked and just paid for a new ticket. Again, maybe another cliche for this forum but I have horrible anxiety and cannot deal with confrontation. I really just wanted to get away. I however missed my bus and it was a damp trudge to my friend's place.
I appreciate that the ticket is a bit unusual, albeit a valid one. The new fare paid was £13 (so I was allowed to use my railcard, that's one plus I guess).
But was such an attitude really necessary? Practically yelling at me from the outset then getting police involved as soon as I say I wasn't going to bend over for them? BTP never materialised.
I was never abusive or confrontational. I did get somewhat panicky but didn't get personal or shout down the place. Granted, I probably could have just walked out, but I don't know what powers the barrier staff had/whether police were around, running off probably wouldn't have been a good look!
In summary- I used a valid ticket, they didn't like it, called the police, forced me to pay up and also retained my ticket (I do however have the new ticket).
Last edited: