Why do I get the impression that there are a lot of
Firearms Spotters on this forum?

hock:

As for I: I could be considered to be many of the following...
"Sad-git" spotting list:
- Train spotter,
- High-speed train spotter,
- VERY high speed train spotter,
- Maglev spotter,
- Tram spotter,
- Light-rail spotter,
- Underground spotter,
- Suburban rail spotter,
- Transit system spotter,
- Bus spotter,
- Coach spotter,
- Large/heavy ship spotter,
- Large/heavy aircraft spotter,
- Structural engineering spotter,
- Mechanical engineering spotter.
And the more interesting stuff...
- Rollercoaster spotter,
- Thrill-ride spotter,
- Extreme sport spotter,
- Extreme speed spotter,
- Extreme engineering spotter,
- Viking re-enactment spotter,
- Mediaeval re-enactment spotter,
- Heavy Metal spotter,
- Black Metal spotter,
- Death Metal spotter,
- Speed Metal spotter,
- Thrash Metal spotter
Although I'd generally replace the word "spotter" in all of the above examples with "enthusiast" whenever mentioning them!


To be honest, I think the idea of referring to people as "[Whatever] spotters" is pretty pointless as it's really just another way of saying "enthusiast", in my opinion. Otherwise, we'd have car spotters, mod spotters, bike spotters, football spotters and what have ye. The Police force would all become both crime spotters and chav spotters overnight, and the word "spotter" would become subject to severe overuse!

hock:
Strictly speaking, everyone is an enthusiast about
something...As surely having no interests or hobbies would lead to a
very boring and empty life, wouldn't it?

ad:
Although I did once see some real train-"spotters" several years ago whilst walking past an LuL maintenance yard...It was a group of teenage kids spraying polka-dot graffitti onto the side of a District Line carriage...


Farewell...
>> Death <<