• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern (GTR) - Trainee Train Driver (Future vacancies) - Various depots (02/06/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

james1996

Member
Joined
25 Jan 2024
Messages
17
Location
Surrey
Does anyone know the percentage of pension contributions you pay with Southern?
 
Last edited:
Joined
17 Aug 2022
Messages
118
Location
London
Hi guys. Does anyone know what the salary bands are for trainee's and how long it takes to get through the various stages to the full drivers salary , i.e., how many months the various stages take. Also, was there a rise in the full drivers salary recently for GTR (Southern)?
 

REO Nate

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2021
Messages
278
Location
Up Front
Hi guys. Does anyone know what the salary bands are for trainee's and how long it takes to get through the various stages to the full drivers salary , i.e., how many months the various stages take. Also, was there a rise in the full drivers salary recently for GTR (Southern)?

I will DM an answer to this
 

train_freak

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2024
Messages
5
Location
London
Hi guys. Does anyone know what the salary bands are for trainee's and how long it takes to get through the various stages to the full drivers salary , i.e., how many months the various stages take. Also, was there a rise in the full drivers salary recently for GTR (Southern)?
I'd like to know this too please

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Anyone else on the November course?
Didn't think there were any more courses this year.

Congrats, hope it all goes well!
 

PG1996

New Member
Joined
25 Oct 2024
Messages
3
Location
Brighton
Morning all, I’ve just got into the talent pool for Brighton from the recruitment drive last june(I think!). Does anyone know a rough timescale of how long I’d be waiting? Not in a rush at all as happy in my current role but it would be nice to have a little bit of clarification!

Thanks
 

Sly Sloth

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2022
Messages
272
Location
Seat 1A
Morning all, I’ve just got into the talent pool for Brighton from the recruitment drive last june(I think!). Does anyone know a rough timescale of how long I’d be waiting? Not in a rush at all as happy in my current role but it would be nice to have a little bit of clarification!

Thanks
“How long is a piece of string” From what I’ve heard Barnham might be seeing a large intake if you happened to live that way!
 

PG1996

New Member
Joined
25 Oct 2024
Messages
3
Location
Brighton
“How long is a piece of string” From what I’ve heard Barnham might be seeing a large intake if you happened to live that way!
Barnham is bordering on a 1 hour drive so probably not the most suitable, but apparently theres 70 odd trainees there at the moment!
 

D3WY

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2019
Messages
134
Location
Horsham, West Sussex
Hi all

I'm in for interview next week, this is my second time applying after failing MMI in esrly 2020. Been in pending application for round 2 since. I seemed to have skipped the assessment day though as last time this interview was after the assessment day. Will I get fresh MMI paperwork at the interview next week you think? Everything seems to be suddenly moving very fast even compared to last time I applied
 

Sly Sloth

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2022
Messages
272
Location
Seat 1A
There’s 8 courses planned for next year! Could be 10 if they can fit them in now that the willingness to work rest days post pay deal continues to dry up!
 

Hazwa89

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2024
Messages
54
Location
Sussex
There’s 8 courses planned for next year! Could be 10 if they can fit them in now that the willingness to work rest days post pay deal continues to dry up!
Hi Sly,

I'm a trainee train driver waiting for a start date for Thameslink.

I was told there were only 3 courses next year, do you know if this has changed? Also apparently the course due to start in Feb may have been pushed back. I don't suppose you know anything about that?

Many thanks
Hazwa89
 

Sly Sloth

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2022
Messages
272
Location
Seat 1A
Hi Sly,

I'm a trainee train driver waiting for a start date for Thameslink.

I was told there were only 3 courses next year, do you know if this has changed? Also apparently the course due to start in Feb may have been pushed back. I don't suppose you know anything about that?

Many thanks
Hazwa89
I was referring to Southern! Have no idea about Thameslink I’m afraid
 

Hazwa89

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2024
Messages
54
Location
Sussex
I was referring to Southern! Have no idea about Thameslink I’m afraid
Hi Sly,

Thanks for the reply.

Out of interest are the training courses different for each franchise? So Southern trainee drivers on a Southern course and Thameslink on Thameslink, Gatwick express on a Gatwick express course Ect?

I didn't know if they would be mixed under GTR
 
Last edited:

REO Nate

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2021
Messages
278
Location
Up Front
Hi Sly,

Thanks for the reply.

Out of interest are the training courses different for each franchise? So Southern trainee drivers on a Southern course and Thameslink on Thameslink, Gatwick express on a Gatwick express course Ect?

I didn't know if they would be mixed under GTR

Yes they are, although SN and GX are the same company.
 
Joined
17 Aug 2022
Messages
118
Location
London
Hi Sly,

Thanks for the reply.

Out of interest are the training courses different for each franchise? So Southern trainee drivers on a Southern course and Thameslink on Thameslink, Gatwick express on a Gatwick express course Ect?

I didn't know if they would be mixed under GTR
They probably have to be at least for the Route learning part of the course and also assuming the trains are different with each franchise. So whilst the rules will be the same, there will be various elements that are specific to each brand.

FYI: Rules, traction and train handling are the three main parts of the course proper. The fourth, route learning, will certainly be touched on during training but most of which only takes place after you have passed out. So as you can see, there will be various parts of the course which are specific to the brand you are working for.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
 
Last edited:

Sly Sloth

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2022
Messages
272
Location
Seat 1A
Ah okay thabkyou

I got told in my line manager interview last week as I'm Horsham il be Brighton or Barnham, likely Barnham is my best bet so by sounds of it Barnham has the space for a new load of trainees soon
Barnham want at least 25 trainees next year!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hi Sly,

Thanks for the reply.

Out of interest are the training courses different for each franchise? So Southern trainee drivers on a Southern course and Thameslink on Thameslink, Gatwick express on a Gatwick express course Ect?

I didn't know if they would be mixed under GTR
There are no mix of brands on training courses! Gatex don’t take trainees normally. Thameslink require further rules due to the nature of the signalling system they use that Southern don’t
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top