• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Class 313 withdrawal/storage/scrapping updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow1964

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2019
Messages
11,192
Location
West Wiltshire
The Government has just published the latest Thameslink contract, and on page 73 (of 518) the 57 class 313 vehicles (19 x 3car) end their lease on 4 September 2022

So appears to be just 2.5 weeks before lease ends

Class 313/2
57-3 Cars/Unit
Wheelchair spaces 2
Standing 108
First class seats 0
First class wheelchair spaces 0
Lease Beacon
Lease Expiry 4 September 2022

 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2014
Messages
6,594
Location
PTSO or platform depending on the weather

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
That document is dated 24th March 2022. It is fair to say the 313s are not going in September as per multiple sources.
 

315801

Member
Joined
12 Jul 2022
Messages
201
Also if I may jump in here, I read on rmweb I think it was that 313201 ( originally 313001 ) will pass into the ownership of the NRM in York once the units go off lease
 

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2008
Messages
2,999
Location
Cambridge
I believe it is because the trains are considered to be a dead-end; there is presumably no home for them after Southern so there is little reason to milk them for cash.
I sort of get that, but it seems uncharacteristically charitable of the ROSCO to charge practically nothing, it doesn't mean they don't have some kind of value, as they are useable trains for which there is a requirement. Even if it was 10% the price of, say, a 377/3. I would think there's an element of "getting them off the books" somewhere.

Unless of course they were a sweetener for a different deal for different stock on SN, or a gesture of goodwill for some screw-up!
 
Last edited:

Dhansak

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2021
Messages
54
Location
West Sussex
Also if I may jump in here, I read on rmweb I think it was that 313201 ( originally 313001 ) will pass into the ownership of the NRM in York once the units go off lease

313201 has been listed by the NRM/Railway Heritage Committee for preserving as it is the doyen of the Production second-generation fleet and an example of a suburban duel voltage unit. That said, not everything on the list makes it to the museum and those that do sometimes get disposed of (50033 being one such example and 84001 spent many uncertain years there despite being the last mainline North British co D&E design surviving).

Will 313201 survive? Until I see it safely at York or Shildon, the answer is still a big fat don't know (and even then it remains to be seen if someone decides they are bored with it and would rather its place goes to something else prettier, or more inclusive or just something that isn't an EMU). I'm afraid the most likely scenario will be one of the driving cars remaining and the rest chopped.
 

alholmes

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2012
Messages
477
Location
London E3
I wouldn’t read too much into the dates listed in that document. It states that the Class 717 lease expires in September 2023 - clearly that lease will be extended, as it’s new stock purpose-built for the Moorgate line.
 

Energy

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2018
Messages
5,135
I sort of get that, but it seems uncharacteristically charitable of the ROSCO to charge practically nothing, it doesn't mean they don't have some kind of value, as they are useable trains for which there is a requirement. Even if it was 10% the price of, say, a 377/3. I would think there's an element of "getting them off the books" somewhere.

Unless of course they were a sweetener for a different deal for different stock on SN, or a gesture of goodwill for some screw-up!
Not really, the scrap value won't change much, until the ROSCO has to spend money on them they can charge very little and still be making money.
 

Recessio

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2019
Messages
1,537
Location
London
Also if I may jump in here, I read on rmweb I think it was that 313201 ( originally 313001 ) will pass into the ownership of the NRM in York once the units go off lease

313201 has been listed by the NRM/Railway Heritage Committee for preserving as it is the doyen of the Production second-generation fleet and an example of a suburban duel voltage unit. That said, not everything on the list makes it to the museum and those that do sometimes get disposed of (50033 being one such example and 84001 spent many uncertain years there despite being the last mainline North British co D&E design surviving).

Will 313201 survive? Until I see it safely at York or Shildon, the answer is still a big fat don't know (and even then it remains to be seen if someone decides they are bored with it and would rather its place goes to something else prettier, or more inclusive or just something that isn't an EMU). I'm afraid the most likely scenario will be one of the driving cars remaining and the rest chopped.
313201 is the unit that was repainted into BR Blue (with a few changes/updates to meet accessibility). If they bothered to do that (and still bother keeping it non-standard whenever they repair graffiti damage, rather than repainting back into Southern livery), I figure it will eventually go to the NRM. Especially when you compare to the state the GN 313s were in at the end, they seem to be taking much better care of the units down here in Southern.
 

WizCastro197

Established Member
Joined
12 May 2022
Messages
1,468
Location
Reigate
Went To Brighton and Hove yesterday 313211 I think? Had all of its stickers and decals ripped off so much so I don't even know if it is 313211 as on the back the last number was sort of ripped off but it looked like a one. Sitting alone at the Montpelier Sidings In Lovers Walk.

But this was on Sunday 21st August where I don’t think many 313s werent used sur le the West Coastway.
 
Last edited:

MCT Trains

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2022
Messages
7
Location
Bosham
Little update I just got 202 at emsworth so now just need 215 and 217 to have all 19 remaining units on film ! Does anyone have an update on 217 ? Is it at selhurst or lovers walk ? Or having a repair or hopefully not withdrawn ?? I think 215 is just eluding me lol
 

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
Also out today are two 6 car sets in 313210 + 313212 and 313213 + 313216 on the Lewes football extras.
 

TST2022

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2022
Messages
152
Location
Brighton
Little update I just got 202 at emsworth so now just need 215 and 217 to have all 19 remaining units on film ! Does anyone have an update on 217 ? Is it at selhurst or lovers walk ? Or having a repair or hopefully not withdrawn ?? I think 215 is just eluding me lol
I believe 313217 is stored at selhurst depot

215 was in lovers walk on Saturday 27th
 

SNDave

Member
Joined
3 May 2019
Messages
29
Location
London
I believe 313217 is stored at selhurst depot

215 was in lovers walk on Saturday 27th
I'm hearing rumours that 217 is now being cannibalised of spare parts so other 313s can continue to run. The end is in sight.
 

TST2022

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2022
Messages
152
Location
Brighton
Yeah I heard 313217 has been scrapped today to
Big Shame as I only seen it twice lol

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I am going to miss it
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20220502_154846_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220502_154846_HDR.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 58

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2014
Messages
6,594
Location
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Looking at the twitter comments regarding the next one to be scrapped should be "big blue", aka 313.201, I disagree. It looks in great nick IMHO. Personally I think the next one to be scrapped should be 206 or 208; both really scruffy units ...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top