• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Class 313 withdrawal/storage/scrapping updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class360/1

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2021
Messages
652
Location
Essex
Looking at the twitter comments regarding the next one to be scrapped should be "big blue", aka 313.201, I disagree. It looks in great nick IMHO. Personally I think the next one to be scrapped should be 206 or 208; both really scruffy units ...
I thought the NRM wanted 201?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

physics34

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
4,093
Looking at the twitter comments regarding the next one to be scrapped should be "big blue", aka 313.201, I disagree. It looks in great nick IMHO. Personally I think the next one to be scrapped should be 206 or 208; both really scruffy units ...
201s off to the NRM?
 

TST2022

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2022
Messages
152
Location
Brighton
Looking at the twitter comments regarding the next one to be scrapped should be "big blue", aka 313.201, I disagree. It looks in great nick IMHO. Personally I think the next one to be scrapped should be 206 or 208; both really scruffy units ...
It's not being scrapped it's going to nrm york
 

WizCastro197

Established Member
Joined
12 May 2022
Messages
1,468
Location
Reigate
Looking at the twitter comments regarding the next one to be scrapped should be "big blue", aka 313.201, I disagree. It looks in great nick IMHO. Personally I think the next one to be scrapped should be 206 or 208; both really scruffy units ...
Hasn't the 'Big Blue' been badly vandalised (graffiti wise) I remember seeing it on some twitter post when looking for another 313? Maybe it is another unit or something? I don't believe Ill be able to find it again hence why I haven't linked it...

EDIT: I think I am actually wrong.


If the aforementioned twitter link is correct, and at least 1 more will be scrapped by the end of the year, I think it should be 313211 it already looks really tired and doesn't look too well maintained. But that is of course considering that the scrapping order is in fact not done by mileage. However there may be more that are in a far worse derelict and deteriorated condition that 313211


This perhaps has been mentioned avant, but is it looking unlikely that any 313s will be preserved? If so it doesn't necessarily have to be 313201? Does it? Because any unit can just be painted back into BR colours or is there some significant meaning behind this particular unit having this paint scheme?
 
Last edited:

TST2022

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2022
Messages
152
Location
Brighton
Hasn't the 'Big Blue' been badly vandalised (graffiti wise) I remember seeing it on some twitter post when looking for another 313? Maybe it is another unit or something? I don't believe Ill be able to find it again hence why I haven't linked it...

EDIT: I think I am actually wrong.


If the aforementioned twitter link is correct, and at least 1 more will be scrapped by the end of the year, I think it should be 313211 it already looks really tired and doesn't look too well maintained. But that is of course considering that the scrapping order is in fact not done by mileage. However there may be more that are in a far worse derelict and deteriorated condition that 313211


This perhaps has been mentioned avant, but is it looking unlikely that any 313s will be preserved? If so it doesn't necessarily have to be 313201? Does it? Because any unit can just be painted back into BR colours or is there some significant meaning behind this particular unit having this paint scheme?
313211 was meant to be the first to scrap but they changed it because it's more reliable

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hasn't the 'Big Blue' been badly vandalised (graffiti wise) I remember seeing it on some twitter post when looking for another 313? Maybe it is another unit or something? I don't believe Ill be able to find it again hence why I haven't linked it...

EDIT: I think I am actually wrong.


If the aforementioned twitter link is correct, and at least 1 more will be scrapped by the end of the year, I think it should be 313211 it already looks really tired and doesn't look too well maintained. But that is of course considering that the scrapping order is in fact not done by mileage. However there may be more that are in a far worse derelict and deteriorated condition that 313211


This perhaps has been mentioned avant, but is it looking unlikely that any 313s will be preserved? If so it doesn't necessarily have to be 313201? Does it? Because any unit can just be painted back into BR colours or is there some significant meaning behind this particular unit having this paint scheme?
313201 was repainted because it was the first 313 (313001)

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

But is the entire unit going to the NRM/Shildon or just one of the motor coaches? I thought it was tight on space up there
Yeah the whole unit
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,883
Location
Cambridge
That hardly looks like the most verified of sources. Mind you, I don’t trust anything that awful Phillip Sherratt has published either, and magazines like his are supposed to be rather credible, certainly more so that poor RAIL which gets a rather unfair tongue-lashing from this forum.

Looking at the twitter comments regarding the next one to be scrapped should be "big blue", aka 313.201, I disagree. It looks in great nick IMHO. Personally I think the next one to be scrapped should be 206 or 208; both really scruffy units ...
Not nice to have a scruffy looking train but surely you’re not suggesting they should be withdrawn in terms of cosmetic appearance rather than the condition of the undercarriage and motors, etc.
 

WizCastro197

Established Member
Joined
12 May 2022
Messages
1,468
Location
Reigate
That hardly looks like the most verified of sources. Mind you, I don’t trust anything that awful Phillip Sherratt has published either, and magazines like his are supposed to be rather credible, certainly more so that poor RAIL which gets a rather unfair tongue-lashing from this forum.


Not nice to have a scruffy looking train but surely you’re not suggesting they should be withdrawn in terms of cosmetic appearance rather than the condition of the undercarriage and motors, etc.
If you click on the account of the Twitter Poster, it seems as if he works for Southern as a conductor so now I am unsure.
What has made you find him 'awful'?
Modern Railways doesn't seem too awful...
 

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
Worth waiting for a more official confirmation I think.

Just to add, the Twitter poster claims that 313217 was the 313 used as a COVID testing centre. It was actually 313207.
 

MCT Trains

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2022
Messages
7
Location
Bosham
Looking at the twitter comments regarding the next one to be scrapped should be "big blue", aka 313.201, I disagree. It looks in great nick IMHO. Personally I think the next one to be scrapped should be 206 or 208; both really scruffy units ...
208 is in poor condition

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

My understanding is that the unit has been withdrawn at Selhurst rather than scrapped.
Stripped for spares to keep others going for the last few months I guess
 

TST2022

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2022
Messages
152
Location
Brighton
208 is in poor condition

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Stripped for spares to keep others going for the last few months I guess
208 is very rough

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I do have to say that Twitter post is very naughty and he will probably get into trouble with southern
 
Last edited:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2014
Messages
6,594
Location
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Hasn't the 'Big Blue' been badly vandalised (graffiti wise) I remember seeing it on some twitter post when looking for another 313? Maybe it is another unit or something? I don't believe Ill be able to find it again hence why I haven't linked it...
It had a graffiti attack a good few weeks ago but was cleaned up. I photographed it last Saturday and it looked really good considering


Not nice to have a scruffy looking train but surely you’re not suggesting they should be withdrawn in terms of cosmetic appearance rather than the condition of the undercarriage and motors, etc.
I was half joking :)

Yes I reckon they'll be scrapped in the order of high mileage/cost of heavy overhaul etc or even corrosion
 

trainmania100

Established Member
Joined
8 Nov 2015
Messages
3,035
Location
Newhaven
313217 showing on road 7 at lovers walk on my colleagues Gtr software, but it was at selhurst the other day, scrapping sounds premature.

Reading more of the tweet from the previous page, it does actually state he has no idea if it's scrapped or used as spares...
 

MCT Trains

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2022
Messages
7
Location
Bosham
I finally got 215 tonight at bosham meaning I just needed 217 to have them all on film. What a shame after todays news. I did suspect having not seen it. Also got 201, 202 and 212
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,883
Location
Cambridge
If you click on the account of the Twitter Poster, it seems as if he works for Southern as a conductor so now I am unsure.
What has made you find him 'awful'?
Modern Railways doesn't seem too awful...
I personally find him to have a rather unbearable stuck up air about him in the many times I’ve seen him featured in press launches and Geoff Marshall’s videos, matter of opinion but off topic anyway. I just don’t tend to go by news I see in magazines as they’ve often been wrong.

Where was 217 scrapped then (if it was)?
 

Fincra5

Established Member
Joined
6 Jun 2009
Messages
2,636
I personally find him to have a rather unbearable stuck up air about him in the many times I’ve seen him featured in press launches and Geoff Marshall’s videos, matter of opinion but off topic anyway. I just don’t tend to go by news I see in magazines as they’ve often been wrong.

Where was 217 scrapped then (if it was)?
217 isn't scrapped its currently in Lovers Walk awaiting parts...

I'd wait for anything more official.
 

WizCastro197

Established Member
Joined
12 May 2022
Messages
1,468
Location
Reigate
I personally find him to have a rather unbearable stuck up air about him in the many times I’ve seen him featured in press launches and Geoff Marshall’s videos, matter of opinion but off topic anyway. I just don’t tend to go by news I see in magazines as they’ve often been wrong.

Where was 217 scrapped then (if it was)?
Absolutely Of Course! You are entitled to your opinion and I don’t have one on this subject so I will decline to challenge

I guess you were right, that Southern Rail guard was not a credible source at all!!
 

TST2022

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2022
Messages
152
Location
Brighton
313217 showing on road 7 at lovers walk on my colleagues Gtr software, but it was at selhurst the other day, scrapping sounds premature.

Reading more of the tweet from the previous page, it does actually state he has no idea if it's scrapped or used as spares...
Will it go Newport?
 

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
Does anyone know the when the 313s received their last major underfloor overhaul? Was it done in tandem with the DDA mods back in 2016-17 by any chance?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top