• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sorry TPE, it's Virgin from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,796
New TPE electric trains Preston - Glasgow, middle of January, on time. Only a tenner booked in advance. So far so good - but the whole journey was spoiled by the blasted air-con. Apart from ten glorious seconds when the darned thing shut itself off, I had to endure the noise and cold it provided :cry:.

Coming back on a Virgin it was so much nicer to return to a warm, quiet and altogether more comfortable carriage.

It looks like TPE can't do anything about it - their diesels were blighted by the same thing, I would have thought they would have got the train manufacturers to sort it by now. Nope.

So, in future, regardless of cost it's a Virgin for me, even if the windows are a lot smaller!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,461
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
I would suggest that too. All well and good moaning on here but if you are that bothered let them know. Lots of similar complaints they may alter the settings then you can choose cheap tickets and also benefit others.

A written or e-mail complaint sent to a TOC is worth a thousand postings of annoyance on an internet forum, even a highly respected rail one such as RailUK.
 

Topgun333

Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
165
I've yet to try 350/4 but regularly travel between Manchester and Glasgow. My preference is for the Pendos and a change at Preston rather than a 185 for sure.

Although my issue with the 185s is lack of adequate seating, especially in the Spring and Summer when you are clambering over rucksacks owned by tonnes of people getting off at Oxenholme.
 

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2011
Messages
1,704
I've yet to try 350/4 but regularly travel between Manchester and Glasgow. My preference is for the Pendos and a change at Preston rather than a 185 for sure.

Although my issue with the 185s is lack of adequate seating, especially in the Spring and Summer when you are clambering over rucksacks owned by tonnes of people getting off at Oxenholme.

In the meantime I'll choose any option other than a Pendo because I find the Pendos remarkably uncomfortable!
 

Monty

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2012
Messages
2,370
Unfortunately the issue with the air conditioning is a universal problem with the Desiro family of trains. I'm not entirely sure if this is an issue than can or will be rectified anytime soon.

I will agree its a bit of a b*****d during the winter but come summer time you'll forget all about the noise, trust me. ;)
 
Last edited:

Monty

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2012
Messages
2,370
I travel on Desiro's down south everyday, you get used to the noise. It's quite a shock when it turns off!

Yup normally when it shuts off for a period of time you have lost power for one reason or another! My first thought when it happens is normally "crap! Not again!" :lol:
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,796
I did contact them by email and facebook before writing on here. Had a reply back via facebook they said "something might be amiss and can I provide details of the journey times".

Maybe they will provide slapheads (like me!) with a free cap when boarding if they can't get it sorted!
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
They are a bit noisy now you come to mention it! That said it tends to lull me to sleep which has its own set of problems! Ha ha. What is it with modern transport and really loud air conditioning? I don't recall mark 2D's and onwards being so loud. Probably my rose tinted spectacles.

Boeing 777's are incredibly noisy inside as well I found and I don't think it is engine noise.
 
Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,796
Boeing 777's are incredibly noisy inside as well I found and I don't think it is engine noise.

All the aircraft I have been on - admittedly *budget* so not the most modern ones - have had personal air flow, which you can adjust and turn off if you like. Think that used to be the case on inter-city trains??

Much better system IMO than the one-size-fits-all they have now.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Unfortunately the issue with the air conditioning is a universal problem with the Desiro family of trains. I'm not entirely sure if this is an issue than can or will be rectified anytime soon.

I will agree its a bit of a b*****d during the winter but come summer time you'll forget all about the noise, trust me. ;)



Sadly not my experience, or certainly not with LM - Did quite a high milage on there 350s last summer and for alk the racket found the Air Con did very little.

As to it being a universal unrectifiable issue, the CL380s dont appear to suffer and even compared to the still fairly young 350/2s have a better regulated climate controll and thermostatic setup all together.↲given that 380s and close relatives of the themeslink CL7 Deyiro City trains currently building I hope that we've heard the last of it!↲
 

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
6,906
Location
Richmond, London
They are a bit noisy now you come to mention it! That said it tends to lull me to sleep which has its own set of problems! Ha ha. What is it with modern transport and really loud air conditioning? I don't recall mark 2D's and onwards being so loud. Probably my rose tinted spectacles.
Boeing 777's are incredibly noisy inside as well I found and I don't think it is engine noise.

Thats true but the noise of the brakes more than made up for it!
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
All the aircraft I have been on - admittedly *budget* so not the most modern ones - have had personal air flow, which you can adjust and turn off if you like. Think that used to be the case on inter-city trains??

Much better system IMO than the one-size-fits-all they have now.

Those 777's have a constant blast of air noise a bit like the Desiros. I've been lucky enough to travel on other large aircraft types and of course plenty of trains which don't seem to have quite the same problem.

The 777 isn't that modern a design any more, although like all things it is still being built and updated. You will probably find that the plane you are on with Ryanair or Easyjet is a lot newer than many of the planes British Airways and the like are flying.

That said Jet 2 and Thomas Cook seem to have loads of rather old second hand planes that have been all over the world. Still perfectly safe of course.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thats true but the noise of the brakes more than made up for it!

Ha ha, that is true! And that intriguing smell of hot brake pads being wafted through the carriage.
 
Last edited:

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
They are a bit noisy now you come to mention it! That said it tends to lull me to sleep which has its own set of problems! Ha ha. What is it with modern transport and really loud air conditioning? I don't recall mark 2D's and onwards being so loud. Probably my rose tinted spectacles.

Boeing 777's are incredibly noisy inside as well I found and I don't think it is engine noise.

I don't find Electrostar air conditioning noisy, only on Desiros. That said, the loud but consistent ventilation noise on the latter helps contribute to the 'no outside noise' feeling. Electrostars are quiet inside compared to contemporary stock, but you don't quite get the 'sealed bubble' effect that Desiros provide.
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
I don't find Electrostar air conditioning noisy, only on Desiros. That said, the loud but consistent ventilation noise on the latter helps contribute to the 'no outside noise' feeling. Electrostars are quiet inside compared to contemporary stock, but you don't quite get the 'sealed bubble' effect that Desiros provide.

Never been on an Electrostar I am ashamed to say but that is true about the Desiros. Like I say I find it really odd, it kind of rocks me to sleep, I only notice the noise when it stops and I realise how quiet things are. Ha ha.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,311
Location
Bolton
Hmm. Nobody seems to have pointed out that the Air Con on a 390, certainly in Coach C, can be far from quiet at times!
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
Hmm. Nobody seems to have pointed out that the Air Con on a 390, certainly in Coach C, can be far from quiet at times!

To be honest I normally find I'm too busy trying to find natural light on 390's to notice the noise. It's like being stuck in a small plastic cave.
 

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
6,906
Location
Richmond, London
Hmm. Nobody seems to have pointed out that the Air Con on a 390, certainly in Coach C, can be far from quiet at times!

To be honest I generally find that the old IPod / wife and children tend to block out the noise! Although I use the Pendolinos a lot I've not noticed that particular coaches tend to be noisier than others although I don't doubt what you say is true.
 

transmanche

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
6,021
Is it that the air con is much noisier? Or is it that we notice the noise more now because of better track and better insulated carriages?
 

BuhSnarf

Member
Joined
22 May 2010
Messages
858
Location
Leicester
The Desiros are noisy but I find in the summer are the coldest trains to travel on. And if the noise bugs I just listen to some music. Much prefer being cool.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
 

rdeez

Member
Joined
7 Apr 2013
Messages
354
Boeing 777's are incredibly noisy inside as well I found and I don't think it is engine noise.

Off topic a bit but...it likely is engine related! Boeing 777 engines (especially the GE90 ones which the extended range ones use) are especially noisy, and huge!
 

ianhr

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2013
Messages
534
Is it that the air con is much noisier? Or is it that we notice the noise more now because of better track and better insulated carriages?

YES! I have often wondered that. However, I actually miss the noise of jointed track AND the rather pleasant noise of the old DC motored electric stock when I would choose to sit in the motor car to hear it doing some work! About the only thing near that experience now is the pantograph motor car of a non-aircon 321 or 322 climbing the gradient out of Leeds up to Ardsley tunnel. Wigan-Southport had jointed track about a year ago but I think that has gone now?
 

rebmcr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
4,005
Location
St Neots
Hmm. Nobody seems to have pointed out that the Air Con on a 390, certainly in Coach C, can be far from quiet at times!

I have certianly mentioned this more than once. Neutral sections can be such a short, bittersweet experience.
 

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Joined
13 Feb 2011
Messages
3,275
Off topic a bit but...it likely is engine related! Boeing 777 engines (especially the GE90 ones which the extended range ones use) are especially noisy, and huge!

They're not that noisy. They're fairly average for a high pass turbofan from the 90's.

Now turbojet engines, they're noisy.

EDIT: Back on topic.

I don't recall there being a brake smell on Mk2s. IIRC they used cast iron tread brakes. Mk3s on the other hand.... ;)
 
Last edited:

hassaanhc

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
2,225
Location
Southall
I don't find Electrostar air conditioning noisy, only on Desiros. That said, the loud but consistent ventilation noise on the latter helps contribute to the 'no outside noise' feeling. Electrostars are quiet inside compared to contemporary stock, but you don't quite get the 'sealed bubble' effect that Desiros provide.

Never been on an Electrostar I am ashamed to say but that is true about the Desiros. Like I say I find it really odd, it kind of rocks me to sleep, I only notice the noise when it stops and I realise how quiet things are. Ha ha.

Yeah I agree with what both of you have said about the lack of outside noise on Desiros, their ride is also very smooth and both those reasons are why to/from the Hounslow area I take SWT over LUL Piccadilly Line to go to/from uni. Same with the Heathrow Connect ones, far better than the noisy diesel Networkers that FGW have. I think I've been on an Electrostar once (Purley Oaks - Norwood Junction) but don't really remember too much about the ride :P
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top