Bletchleyite
Veteran Member
I for one am quite sympathetic to the idea of independence right now because one look at the current cabinet of crooks lead by Boris Johnson makes Larry the Cat a serious enough alternative for the office of Prime Minister. That said seeing how much of a mess leaving the EU has been after just 40 years, I question Scotland's position of being able to leave a 300-year-old integrated union. I can't say I'm surprised by the calls though because independence is one of the SNP's core ideals, so one can reasonably expect this of them anyway.
I think this sums it up quite well, to be honest. I can see why they might want it, and they can have it if they want (but let's be clear, it is full independence - no currency union*, no funding support etc and definitely no political influence over things like EU membership - it stands on its own two feet from day one). The CTA could remain for people, but there would need to be a hard border for customs purposes if the EU was joined (a bit like Switzerland and Schengen).
Ireland I see a bit differently - it's just merging into an existing country, and probably easier for Westminster too as the Troubles, if there is any resurgence, become someone else's problem.
* We can't stop Scotland unilaterally using the Pound in the way Kosovo does the Euro. However any influence on monetary (or any other) policy must cease immediately on "independence day".
