• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snow related disruption (Jan 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
Still losing time by the look of things. 08:32' Edinburgh expected 10:02. Was 09:55 10 mins ago and clearly has held up the following Newcastle which will no doubt get pined at darlo I would expect.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
08:32 edb now 10:06, 08:50 Ncl now 09:35, 09:32 edb now 10:25

And York station is eerily quiet!!! No snowfall tho...
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,923
Location
UK
The news channels are still reporting the changed timetables as cancellations, which I presume will only go to make people angry (and panic). It's a shame that they couldn't say there are revised timetables in place to minimise possible disruption, and to check before travel (and of course, leave earlier).

Even though the Met Office suggested we'd get snow around midday-1pm, it's now 0936 and snow has been falling for around 40 minutes - and it's settling nicely. Fairly light snow for now, but if it ramps up then our road will probably be a nightmare to drive along before snow was even predicted.

Those that instigated special timetables today will probably be proven to have made the right decision, but most commuters won't appreciate it and will probably be angry - no doubt Twitter and Facebook already full of such comments.
 

D1009

Established Member
Joined
22 Feb 2012
Messages
3,166
Location
Stoke Gifford
In accordance with SWT's emergency timetable, Waterloo - Exeter trains are terminating/starting at Salisbury with a 2 hourly all stations shuttle Salisbury - Exeter. I'm currently on 2L72 1145 Exeter - Salisbury, a 6 car set with plenty of room. Rain is spreading eastwards, not much snow at Axminster, but according to LDB there's not much running between Cardiff and Portsmouth. Depth of snow is gradually increasing as we get further east.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
According to Network Rail, Southern are running a limited service from Bookham tomorrow. I thought such services only ran on weekdays.

Interestingly why are some train companies running a normal service. Is it only third rail companyes that need to reduce their speeds?
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,573
Location
Macclesfield
A fire was reported onboard 1A18 09:35 Chester to Euston at Bilsworth, between Rugby and Wolverton - All services were being diverted via Northampton, but this has been cleared now after 1A18 was got moving to terminate at Milton Keynes, 90 minutes late. 221143 was the unit involved.
 

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
Looks like an east last electric has sat down on the southbound platform at Durham. From my position in the down loop can just about make out a couple of orange vests line side by the 91 and the next two signals at the rear have XC voyagers standing at the signals

Some snow on the under frame and carriage ends, but not much to really make any difference, and Durham hasn't seen any snowfall today and the sun is out. There's not really much cloud cover either!
 

OuterDistant

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2010
Messages
609
Location
TOPS Area 43
I've left my car at work and taken a train part way home, then walked the rest. Good job - all the main roads were jammed up.

And it was a 158 as well. Luxury!
 

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,059
Location
Reston City Centre
Looks like the disruption is starting. XC arrivals in York from the south west are running 1 1/2 hours late already

Radio Sheffield mentioned a broken down train near Derby hampering the MML this morning (?), so that may be the reason for the XC arrivals in York being late
 

Monty

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2012
Messages
2,370
SWT using their snow plan timetable today so some lines are without a service and others are being rerouted, but I'm Waterloo now and so far so good and everything is still moving. :)
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
Not rail related but made I laff:

Pontypool Ski Slope is closed today because of the snow!!!
 

WCMLaddict

Member
Joined
20 Mar 2012
Messages
417
My 12:30 from Euston to Glasgow was held up around Stafford for 30 minutes but I can see that some earlier VT services have much bigger delays.
Virgin lifted peak restrictions on their all services out of Euston.
 

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
Looks like an east last electric has sat down on the southbound platform at Durham. From my position in the down loop can just about make out a couple of orange vests line side by the 91 and the next two signals at the rear have XC voyagers standing at the signals

Some snow on the under frame and carriage ends, but not much to really make any difference, and Durham hasn't seen any snowfall today and the sun is out. There's not really much cloud cover either!


On the move 14 late!
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
SWT using their snow plan timetable today so some lines are without a service and others are being rerouted, but I'm Waterloo now and so far so good and everything is still moving. :)

I've just come back from Southampton and I think the snow timetable has pretty much gone out the window. No service Eastleigh - Fareham I believe, southern only running into Portsmouth and everything else pretty much is delayed, though the SWML is open for business trains are crawling along it it.

However the snow has stopped and certainly the buses are starting to move again - I spent 3 hours at the bus station waiting for 1 this morning before giving up.

Heavy snow forecast for tea time so I wouldn't be surprised if the buses or possibly trains call it a day early today.

Edit:
Stageco0ach in Winchester are calling it off at 19:00.
 
Last edited:

Monty

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2012
Messages
2,370
I've just come back from Southampton and I think the snow timetable has pretty much gone out the window. No service Eastleigh - Fareham I believe, southern only running into Portsmouth and everything else pretty much is delayed, though the SWML is open for business trains are crawling along it it.

However the snow has stopped and certainly the buses are starting to move again - I spent 3 hours at the bus station waiting for 1 this morning before giving up.

Heavy snow forecast for tea time so I wouldn't be surprised if the buses or possibly trains call it a day early today.

Strange things down there are so bad, Waterloo is still moving and the worst arrival I've noticed is 20 minutes down. It's still snowing here and isn't scheduled to stop until tomorrow.
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
Strange things down there are so bad, Waterloo is still moving and the worst arrival I've noticed is 20 minutes down. It's still snowing here and isn't scheduled to stop until tomorrow.

This is why - thats on the Hill by Southampton Central with the line just the other side of the fence for those who don't Know Southampton.
 

michael769

Established Member
Joined
9 Oct 2005
Messages
2,008
South Easter are advising folks to head home early:

Southeastern has run a good service this morning with a full timetable and around 90 percent of trains arriving on time*.

Network Rail and Southeastern have been working together to clear the tracks of ice and snow however with more bad weather setting in, services this afternoon are experiencing disruption.

Southeastern is advising passengers to consider planning their journey home early and allow additional time for travelling.

Network Rail de-icer trains have been running on the network throughout the day and additional Southeastern staff have been helping to clear snow from platforms and stairs.
 

s3an

Member
Joined
8 Sep 2011
Messages
95
I am going from Paddington to Abergavenny (maybe). Told (by that infamous man on the gateline) to get the 15.00 Bristol TM and change at Reading because there are other trains to South Wales. I'm not sure I believe this and can't find anything online. Could anyone supply better information?

regards

sean
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
I am going from Paddington to Abergavenny (maybe). Told (by that infamous man on the gateline) to get the 15.00 Bristol TM and change at Reading because there are other trains to South Wales. I'm not sure I believe this and can't find anything online. Could anyone supply better information?

regards

sean

Doubtful as the best information will be that given out by the guys and girls working on the ground who know what the situation is, also be aware that in times like this the situation can change very rapidly and frequently. The best information will that given out at the station, no-one else will know what is running through the minds of the various controls who make the decisions.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The BBC live page is reporting
1517:
A Network Rail spokesman says 78% of trains are running on time in London and south-east England - down from 85% earlier.

Most of them aren't running on the SWML.
 

s3an

Member
Joined
8 Sep 2011
Messages
95
Got off at Reading and back on after speaking to the train manager who says travel to Bristol and change there because he knows of no reason that there would be a train to South Wales from Reading except the ones from Paddington.

Glad I didn't ask man at gateline about paying on train :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top