• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shrewsbury-Crewe Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon C

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2022
Messages
5
Location
Merthyr Tydfil
Hi, just a quick question as I’m a regular on the Shrewsbury-Crewe line and have noticed that, for example, on 28th Jan the 1054 from Shrewsbury arrives at Crewe at 1147. It doesn’t stop at any other stations.

I’m wondering why the journey time has increased to 53 mins. I was thinking maybe engineering works and/or a diversion but the trains before and after that one only take 34 / 35 mins, so I’m wondering why there’s an increase of almost 20 mins for the 1054 departure, especially when it doesn’t stop at any intervening stations.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tomuk

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2010
Messages
2,009
Is it running on the wrong line from Prees to Crewe due to engineering work?
 

m4tt

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2021
Messages
179
Location
London
Just had a look on RTT and the service has 18 minutes of pathing allowance between Shrewsbury and Crewe, slowing down the service as you saw. Not particularly sure why but could be engineering works or a lack of platforms available at Crewe due to TFW services terminating there instead of Manchester. I would assume the latter as services going towards Shrewsbury do not have this pathing allowance. Hope this helps

 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,985
Location
Airedale
Just had a look on RTT and the service has 18 minutes of pathing allowance between Shrewsbury and Crewe, slowing down the service as you saw. Not particularly sure why but could be engineering works or a lack of platforms available at Crewe due to TFW services terminating there instead of Manchester. I would assume the latter as services going towards Shrewsbury do not have this pathing allowance. Hope this helps

Looking further, 12 is occupied until 1135 by an Up mail service, then 11 by a Down Avanti from 1142, which blocks access to 12. I imagine the planning rules say there is insufficient time between those two moves for the Cardiff to sneak in earlier, and thus offer its passengers an extra few minutes to enjoy the delights of Crewe before their Manchester connection leaves :)

There are some other pathing delays, caused by all Shrewsbury trains using 12, but in single figures.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top