It was worded "in the event that coronavirus cases were to continue to rise" which is so open-ended it's very difficult to quantify what people think.This thread remains the anti-mask, anti-lockdown, echo chamber it was when I last checked-in. Out in the rest of the country, the latest polling supports a second national lockdown. 66% for, 27% against. 6% don't know. And 1% presumably lost in the rounding.
Source: YouGov Poll 14 September Would you support or oppose a second national lockdown, similar to that in April and May, in the event that coronavirus cases were to continue to rise?
I strongly disagree with the suggestion that 64% of people would support a lockdown; 64% of the sort of people that have the time to spend doing those polls is quite a different prospect.
You'll find support for lockdowns will be greater among people who fit any of the following categories: people with work from home jobs that are perceived as secure; people who are in reasonably proportioned homes (many of whom may also have a garden too); people who are retired; people who are elderly; people who have been scared into thinking the actual case fatality rate is higher than it really is.
Support will be much lower among poorer/disadvantaged people; people who work in sectors that could be harmed by lockdowns; people who cannot easily work from home or do not have the right sort of home working environment etc.
So it will really depend on who you ask. But of the people I speak to, who tend to be working people who care about the prospects of younger people, the view is very different to portrayed in that poll. Very few of the people I know would have had the time to answer a poll carried out on 14 Sep 2020 as they would have been too busy.
I suspect a lot of the people who did that poll are people with plenty of time on their hands, probably retired, or enjoying furlough, or enjoying working in their secure, cushy, work from home job in a well proportioned house.
Meanwhile, in the real world...#
I also find this suspicious
Daily Question | 07/08/2020 | YouGov
Do you think that workers who can capably do their job from home should or should not return back to the office?
There was no answer for a blend of home & office working; why not?Do you think that workers who can capably do their job from home should or should not return back to the office?
Only 36% of respondents said "It should be up to them"; do 64% of respondents really believe they should be forced into an option they do not like?
I did a few YouGov polls before I realised they were a total waste of time; they take so long that only people with a lot of time on their hands can do them and the lack of appropriate answers skew the results.
Believe me, the real world is very different to what those polls say.
Last edited:
