• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should there be protests against another lockdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotrail12

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2014
Messages
840
I feel that it’s beyond a joke that they are contemplating another lockdown. I have never attended a protest before but I feel that we need to in order to save the economy, mental health and other forms of physical health.

Are protests against lockdown a good idea? Should they happen?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adc82140

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2008
Messages
3,412
I believe in the right to protest against anything as long as it remains peaceful.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,402
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
I feel that it’s beyond a joke that they are contemplating another lockdown. I have never attended a protest before but I feel that we need to in order to save the economy, mental health and other forms of physical health.

Are protests against lockdown a good idea? Should they happen?

I think a protest as such would cause more hassle than its worth, as there are people who seem wedded to the idea of constant lockdowns.

In my view it would be just as productive to simply ignore as much of it as we can. If enough people do that then it becomes unenforceable with our thin-on-the-ground police.
 

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
5 Jul 2018
Messages
1,670
Location
Oxford/Newcastle
Not really. While I'm dead set against another lockdown, any protest would just attract the likes of Piers Corbyn and other conspiracy theorists. It would therefore massively damage the case against restrictions.
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,243
Location
UK
In my view it would be just as productive to simply ignore as much of it as we can. If enough people do that then it becomes unenforceable with our thin-on-the-ground police.

I'm not sure, Boris is the sort that gets very upset when people don't do as he dictates.
 

adc82140

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2008
Messages
3,412
He can get as upset as he likes. There are still only a finite amount of police.
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,506
Location
Cheshire
Not really. While I'm dead set against another lockdown, any protest would just attract the likes of Piers Corbyn and other conspiracy theorists. It would therefore massively damage the case against restrictions.

Indeed, I plan a very different type of protest. Based on the percentage of restrictions placed upon me, I shall inform my department of a corresponding reduction in productivity... ;)
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,243
Location
UK
He can get as upset as he likes. There are still only a finite amount of police.
Perhaps, but he seems like the sort that will enjoy "making examples" of people.
 

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2016
Messages
3,497
Location
Over The Hill
He had a chance to do that with Dominic Cummings, but bottled it.

Don't think he bottled it: it simply never occurred to him! He does not have the backbone to do anything that resembles leadership. As for Covid-related restrictions, whether mild or extreme, there is no genuine belief among Conservatives in their necessity as it is contrary to their view of "freedom". If people want to protest then they should be free to do so in whatever legal manner they choose. Not that it would make any difference...
 

nlogax

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
6,041
Location
Mostly Glasgow-ish. Mostly.
I feel that it’s beyond a joke that they are contemplating another lockdown. I have never attended a protest before but I feel that we need to in order to save the economy, mental health and other forms of physical health.

Are protests against lockdown a good idea? Should they happen?

Protest as much as you like. It won't make much difference - that's protests in general for you - but if it makes you feel better or heard then go for it. It's your right and another lockdown is a pretty daft idea to say the least.

Word of warning to anyone planning such a protest. You'll likely get lumped in with anti-vaxxers and covid-is-a-hoax-ers such as those that I personally encountered while walking through the centre of London this afternoon when there was an anti-lockdown protest on. Being associated with those conspiracy frootloops and nutcases won't be a good look on the evening news.
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
Word of warning to anyone planning such a protest. You'll likely get lumped in with anti-vaxxers and covid-is-a-hoax-ers such as those that I personally encountered while walking through the centre of London this afternoon when there was an anti-lockdown protest on. Being associated with those conspiracy frootloops and nutcases won't be a good look on the evening news.

Footage from Trafalgar Square today suggests you are very much correct.

Plus the I-won't-wear-a-mask-for-20-minutes-once-a-week-to-do-the-supermarket-shop brigade, of course.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,428
Location
Yorkshire
I am not keen on protests organised by extremists.

I don't think the sort of protest that occurred today works, nor is it a good idea.

However the majority of the population is not being listened to, nor are their interests represented, and the rise of authoritarianism is a major concern.

I'm not sure what the best approach to deal with this might be, but things cannot continue as they are for too much longer.
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
Compared to what I saw today those sorts would likely come across as mild-mannered and reasonable.

The mild-mannered reasonable people (those without exemptions) at least begrudgingly comply with mask rules, even if they disagree with it.
 

crablab

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2020
Messages
1,299
Location
UK
I don't think the sort of protest that occurred today works, nor is it a good idea.

However the majority of the population is not being listened to, nor are their interests represented, and the rise of authoritarianism is a major concern.

I'm not sure what the best approach to deal with this might be, but things cannot continue as they are for too much longer

What Yorkie said.

I think lockdown was necessary in March. Given what we've learnt since then and the way we're now controlling and mitigating covid, I think a national lockdown now is unnecessary. It therefore follows that one would be executive overreach and authoritarianism (imho).

I too am deeply worried about the current government's attitude towards the law and the people they serve.
 

Camden

Established Member
Joined
30 Dec 2014
Messages
1,949
I don't see any authoritarianism in the UK, or the prospect of it.

What I do see is people at all levels of decision making grappling with something that has never been seen, and doing their best. Some things will go wrong and some things will not work.

Far from the UK state being some oppressive force, what I've seen so far is the government being very flexible and accommodating of those who won't play by the rules (as opposed to other countries where you may meet confrontational soldiers on stepping outside), along with quickly stepping up to pay up to 80% of people's wages, rather than let them starve. The work with the supermarkets to shore up the food supply chains at the start of all this was nothing short of outstanding.

There are suggestions here that "the majority" don't support the government's efforts, but no quantification of that. My belief is that the majority do largely support the government, and that it's those that let the side down that lack support. In the Manchester Evening News I note the story from Bolton of one single ignorant man refusinik being responsible for mass infection. That hardly helps us get back to normal.

I point out that at the start of this the government were accused by some of being cruelly willing to allow the disease run rampant. That is exactly what they'll be accused of if they don't intervene.

People on here get to carp about them and whine about fairly trivial restrictions, but they are the ones having to make the life and death decisions (and live with the judgements). If you think you can do better, then stand for election.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,428
Location
Yorkshire
@Camden you are entitled to that view, but it is not one shared by many people I speak with. I think you're very out of touch with what the majority want.
 

philosopher

Established Member
Joined
23 Sep 2015
Messages
1,513
Word of warning to anyone planning such a protest. You'll likely get lumped in with anti-vaxxers and covid-is-a-hoax-ers such as those that I personally encountered while walking through the centre of London this afternoon when there was an anti-lockdown protest on. Being associated with those conspiracy frootloops and nutcases won't be a good look on the evening news.

This is the big issue with the protests. Because most of the attendees, or at least the most vocal ones in general are conspiracy theorists, the protests in effect lose all creditability. This I think makes it easy for the government and media to ignore the protests.
 

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
5 Jul 2018
Messages
1,670
Location
Oxford/Newcastle
This is the big issue with the protests. Because most of the attendees, or at least the most vocal ones in general are conspiracy theorists, the protests in effect lose all creditability. This I think makes it easy for the government and media to ignore.

Or worse, makes it easy for the Piers Morgans of this world to say, "Look at the people against these measures, they're all a load of conspiracy theorists!", discrediting any opposition at all.
 

crablab

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2020
Messages
1,299
Location
UK
I point out that at the start of this the government were accused by some of being cruelly willing to allow the disease run rampant. That is exactly what they'll be accused of if they don't intervene

Our outstanding of how the virus spreads, and what steps are effective to prevent it spreading are much improved since March, when it was running out of control.


People on here get to carp about them and whine about fairly trivial restrictions,

I have absolutely no objection to most of the rules. However, I believe a national lockdown again would be hugely damaging in so many more ways than covid related infection, within reason.

I don't think national lockdown can be considered trivial.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,384
Location
Yorks
I don't see any authoritarianism in the UK, or the prospect of it.

What I do see is people at all levels of decision making grappling with something that has never been seen, and doing their best. Some things will go wrong and some things will not work.

Far from the UK state being some oppressive force, what I've seen so far is the government being very flexible and accommodating of those who won't play by the rules (as opposed to other countries where you may meet confrontational soldiers on stepping outside), along with quickly stepping up to pay up to 80% of people's wages, rather than let them starve. The work with the supermarkets to shore up the food supply chains at the start of all this was nothing short of outstanding.

There are suggestions here that "the majority" don't support the government's efforts, but no quantification of that. My belief is that the majority do largely support the government, and that it's those that let the side down that lack support. In the Manchester Evening News I note the story from Bolton of one single ignorant man refusinik being responsible for mass infection. That hardly helps us get back to normal.

I point out that at the start of this the government were accused by some of being cruelly willing to allow the disease run rampant. That is exactly what they'll be accused of if they don't intervene.

People on here get to carp about them and whine about fairly trivial restrictions, but they are the ones having to make the life and death decisions (and live with the judgements). If you think you can do better, then stand for election.


It remains to be seen how much the public are prepared to share your rosy view of another round of national restrictions, potentially including some mooted, which will destroy livelihoods.

We shall see what we shall see.
 

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2013
Messages
3,168
However the majority of the population is not being listened to, nor are their interests represented, and the rise of authoritarianism is a major concern.

I'm not sure what the best approach to deal with this might be, but things cannot continue as they are for too much longer.

@Camden you are entitled to that view, but it is not one shared by many people I speak with. I think you're very out of touch with what the majority want.

This thread remains the anti-mask, anti-lockdown, echo chamber it was when I last checked-in. Out in the rest of the country, the latest polling supports a second national lockdown. 66% for, 27% against. 6% don't know. And 1% presumably lost in the rounding.

Source: YouGov Poll 14 September Would you support or oppose a second national lockdown, similar to that in April and May, in the event that coronavirus cases were to continue to rise?

It shows me that this little corner of the forum continues to be very out of touch with the majority.

I'm sure the usual suspects will pop up to say the poll was wrong, what about the margin of error, 5 days is far too long ago to even be considered valid. We seek out support and friends, in the main, whose views align with our own. We apply our own confirmation bias to much of what we take in and this is aided and abetted by those social media companies that pander to our previous selections. Many of the threads in the COVID subform are a testament to this.

It remains to be seen how much the public are prepared to share your rosy view of another round of national restrictions, potentially including some mooted, which will destroy livelihoods.

Quite a few looking at that poll.
 

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2013
Messages
3,168
I find you get "echo chambers" to some extent. This Forum is clearly mostly against measures. Another Forum I use is mostly for.

I think in this Forum it largely aligns with the way people don't like TOCs doing things to their disadvantage even if they benefit the majority.

Well - clearly we were posting the same thing at the same time!
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,384
Location
Yorks
This thread remains the anti-mask, anti-lockdown, echo chamber it was when I last checked-in. Out in the rest of the country, the latest polling supports a second national lockdown. 66% for, 27% against. 6% don't know. And 1% presumably lost in the rounding.

Source: YouGov Poll 14 September Would you support or oppose a second national lockdown, similar to that in April and May, in the event that coronavirus cases were to continue to rise?

It shows me that this little corner of the forum continues to be very out of touch with the majority.

I'm sure the usual suspects will pop up to say the poll was wrong, what about the margin of error, 5 days is far too long ago to even be considered valid. We seek out support and friends, in the main, whose views align with our own. We apply our own confirmation bias to much of what we take in and this is aided and abetted by those social media companies that pander to our previous selections. Many of the threads in the COVID subform are a testament to this.



Quite a few looking at that poll.

Maybe so.

I'm not sure how that fits in with all the people I see out and about, getting on with their lives.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,384
Location
Yorks
Confirmation bias.

That's a lot of confirmation.

Out of interest, and I know we disagree generally on the issue.

Given that we've had around two months of economic activity which haven't coincided with a large rise in in infection rates up until very recently,

Even if you agree with another lockdown, would you agree that those couple of months of economic activity have left the country in a much better position for the economy and general wellbeing of people than if they hadn't have happened ?
 
Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
It remains to be seen how much the public are prepared to share your rosy view of another round of national restrictions, potentially including some mooted, which will destroy livelihoods.

We shall see what we shall see.
This thread remains the anti-mask, anti-lockdown, echo chamber it was when I last checked-in. Out in the rest of the country, the latest polling supports a second national lockdown. 66% for, 27% against. 6% don't know. And 1% presumably lost in the rounding.

Source: YouGov Poll 14 September Would you support or oppose a second national lockdown, similar to that in April and May, in the event that coronavirus cases were to continue to rise?

It shows me that this little corner of the forum continues to be very out of touch with the majority.

I'm sure the usual suspects will pop up to say the poll was wrong, what about the margin of error, 5 days is far too long ago to even be considered valid. We seek out support and friends, in the main, whose views align with our own. We apply our own confirmation bias to much of what we take in and this is aided and abetted by those social media companies that pander to our previous selections. Many of the threads in the COVID subform are a testament to this.



Quite a few looking at that poll.

My concern about a second lockdown of the scale of March / April is having the same people who were 'thrown under the bus' (so to speak) thrown under it again.

The "66%" I suspect weren't in this group and still haven't grasped the effect lockdown had on others.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top