• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should the quiet coach be called the silence coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
Nobody is banned from it. It's just a question of them deciding if their priority is sitting down, or using their phone - they can't do both in that one carriage. Not a major hardship, in my opinion, and most passengers appreciate it.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rick1984

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2012
Messages
1,147
Why do people insists on taking there children into the quite coach? Unruly children are my biggest bugbear. Family coaches area good idea. Have them in switzerland. Also in germany on ice train I think they have carriages with improved phone reception. Good idea to discourage phone users from other carriages.
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
Why do people insist on taking their children into the quiet coach?

Perhaps because they have booked advance tickets, and that's where the reservation system has put them? It's happened to me on numerous occasions. (There generally never seems to be an "avoid quiet coach" option on booking websites, other than those which allow you to select specific seats.)
 

D1009

Established Member
Joined
22 Feb 2012
Messages
3,166
Location
Stoke Gifford
It almost beggars belief that you have this attitude towards young families. You seem to conveniently forget that you too were once a young restless child causing chaos in a public place.

What evidence do you have for that ? My recollection of being a young child (which was a very long time ago) was that I was not allowed to cause chaos in a public place, restless or otherwise. Nowadays many young children appear to be allowed to do whatever they want wherever they are.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
On busy trains why should a young family be made to stand up when there are seats available in the quiet coach? Trust me, a small child will be a damn sight happier / more content sitting down then it will be standing up. And its human nature that adults make a fuss over young children. A little more tolerance towards others would go along way on our densely populated island.

I've got no problem with young families travelling, but to my mind they have no place in the quiet coach. Also I find on the trains on which I travel, the quiet coach is usually the busiest, as was the case on the journey I described.
 

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Joined
12 Jul 2011
Messages
1,290
I got shouted at in the quiet coach for having a quiet conversations on a virgin service between stoke and Manchester by a pompous know it all who then decided to start up an even louder conversation with his wife. Bloody hypocrites!
 

jimm

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2012
Messages
5,277
Customers who are at the moment banned from the quiet coach would be allowed to enter it. Therefore more customers are able to get a seat.

No-one is banned from quiet coaches, they are just politely requested not to use mobile phones, listen to so-called 'personal' stereos or make lots of racket. What on earth is so hard about that?

Are you seriously suggesting that people are wedging themselves into the rest of the train in order to exercise their 'right' to do all those things? Maybe it is different elsewhere (though I doubt it), but they certainly aren't leaving swathes of empty seats in coach A on the FGW services operated by HSTs and 180s that I use peak and off-peak.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
It might be better to simply get rid of quiet coaches in view of the capacity problems we face.

Sounds more like you want rid of quiet zones because some people won't follow the guidelines (and I stand by the use of won't instead of can't). That would be selfish - if the train wants to market itself as a less stressful alternative to the car quiet zones need to stay

The Quiet Zones on the cross city are routinely ignored :( (but by the same token are poorly advertised)
 

Essexman

Established Member
Joined
15 Mar 2011
Messages
1,476
I'm glad someone mentioned C2C between West Ham & Barking.
That is by far the worse place for abuse of Quiet Coach I've seen anywhere on the network.
Not helped by Quiet Coach being at front of train (eastbound) so closest to the steps for the residents of Barking, who choose not to follow the quiet coach rules.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Didn't the 323s used to have televisions, and the quiet zones were free of them ?

The 323s did have televisions showing a loop of news/weather/"entertainment". Not 100% if the quiet zone was free but I think it was.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
QUOTE=railboy;1200316]I'm aware there have been topics before about the quiet coach but when traveling today on a cross country service I was in the quiet zone and the conductor asked a passenger to stop using a mobile phone. She was very confused when informed she could speak to other passengers but not on a mobile. So do you think that to completely clarify the policy in the quiet coach should it be renamed silence coach so no noise is permitted or would you keep it as is. I personally would rename it silence zone and have stickers advising this on every seat because I don't think the current system works very well[/QUOTE]

what wibble - what a stupid idea. Leave it as it is.

"Would passengers in coach A please note that this is the silence coach. If you need to sneeze, sniff, exhale or fart please do so in the vestibule area. Passengers may also not unwarp the sandwhiches provided by our buffet as this will create noise. Finnaly passengers are reminded that breathing is not permitted anywhere in the silence coach."

Jesus Christ Ray :roll::roll::roll:
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
No-one is banned from quiet coaches, they are just politely requested not to use mobile phones, listen to so-called 'personal' stereos or make lots of racket. What on earth is so hard about that?

Are you seriously suggesting that people are wedging themselves into the rest of the train in order to exercise their 'right' to do all those things? Maybe it is different elsewhere (though I doubt it), but they certainly aren't leaving swathes of empty seats in coach A on the FGW services operated by HSTs and 180s that I use peak and off-peak.

While I agree with your point, just to mention, the HST's I work do have swathes of empty seats in coach A - although this has more to do with passengers going to Reading being too lazy!
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
The whole concept of the quiet coach seems to be more trouble than it's worth to me.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,940
Location
UK
The whole concept of the quiet coach seems to be more trouble than it's worth to me.

I rarely use it, but did on a recent Virgin train to Manchester. Was fine until the guy next to me had his phone ring and then started talking extra loud in wannabe gangster style.

What's worse is he seemed to be fully aware of all the people turning to look at him and carried on as if to say 'What are you going to do about it?'. I suspect he was deliberately trying to goad people into doing or saying something.

And as mentioned before, nobody did - but I am sure that if he hadn't ended his call after a few minutes someone would and then goodness knows what would have happened.

On my return journey, it was quiet all the way. People all left to make and receive calls. However, these days, it's not how many people have a phone but how many have a smartphone. All people want to do now is surf the net, Tweet, access Facebook and text - so very few people want or need to speak to anyone!!
 

krisk

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2011
Messages
347
Scrap them, people don't obey the suggested rules of no phones and no noise from audio/video devices. It is more hassle than its worth.
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,562
Location
Somewhere
While spoil it for the majority of people that do want to have a quite coach and do abide by the rules just for the sake of a few?
 

krisk

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2011
Messages
347
Don't see the point of it, people don't obey it so why have it. I ask you to not use your phone. You ignore me or say no. Then what?

Should children be banned from QCs?
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
I rarely use it, but did on a recent Virgin train to Manchester. Was fine until the guy next to me had his phone ring and then started talking extra loud in wannabe gangster style.

What's worse is he seemed to be fully aware of all the people turning to look at him and carried on as if to say 'What are you going to do about it?'. I suspect he was deliberately trying to goad people into doing or saying something.

And as mentioned before, nobody did - but I am sure that if he hadn't ended his call after a few minutes someone would and then goodness knows what would have happened.

On my return journey, it was quiet all the way. People all left to make and receive calls. However, these days, it's not how many people have a phone but how many have a smartphone. All people want to do now is surf the net, Tweet, access Facebook and text - so very few people want or need to speak to anyone!!

Indeed. It just seems that if someone's determined to be annoying, they will be wherever they are on the train.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Agreed , change it to a smoking coach - a far better use of resources :p

Well, it would have a certain "classic" feel ;)
 

Class 33

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2009
Messages
2,362
I completely disagree about Quiet Zones being scrapped. Why should they?? For a number of people like myself, we specifically go in these carriages to get some peace and quiet during our journey. To get away from the annoying people babbling away on their mobiles.

It is particularly annoying when you see these mobile phone babblers specifically board these Quiet Zone carriages. For instance I've witnessed a number of times at London Paddington for the HST services to Bristol and South Wales, people who are talking on their mobiles and walk all the way down to the front carriage to board the trains and continue talking on their mobile. Yet this is the Quiet Zone! Mobile phone use not permitted! Why then do these people choose to walk to and sit in this carriage, and not one of the other coaches which are not so far to walk to?? Same things witnessed at London Fenchurch Street on the c2c trains. c2c trains Quiet Zones were a joke when I last used them 4 years ago. Loads of people allways talking on their mobiles in them. Complete joke. I expect they're still just as bad now, if not even worst. c2c did promise in a blaze of publicity that they would be installing mobile phone blocking filters on the windows of Quiet Zones, to stop the "mobile phone pests". But however this never happened.

What is needed is to make people even more aware that these carriages are Quiet Zones where mobile phone use is not permitted. More vinyl stickers on the windows and on the backs of seat stating these rules. Additionally stickers on the internal doors too clearly stating that this is a Quiet Zone - Mobile phone use not permitted. As to be honest the Quiet Zones on some trains are not clearly marked atall, and some people genuinelly unaware of this. That said there are a number of people are fully aware that they're sat in a Quiet Zone where mobile phone is not permitted, yet they don't give a toss about this and make and receive calls on their mobiles, with no consideration for other passengers atall.
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,144
Location
Redcar
c2c did promise in a blaze of publicity that they would be installing mobile phone blocking filters on the windows of Quiet Zones, to stop the "mobile phone pests". But however this never happened.

That is most likely because there is a debate about the consequences of this. What if some day a mobile phone is needed for emergency services and cannot be used because of this "blocking"?
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
That is most likely because there is a debate about the consequences of this. What if some day a mobile phone is needed for emergency services and cannot be used because of this "blocking"?

Is that not what the communication chord is for :idea::)
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,144
Location
Redcar
Is that not what the communication chord is for :idea::)

Not if the carriage is upside down and the recipient of that communication is in another coach, on it's side in the next field.

Although I'm pretty certain you knew what I was getting at.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
Not if the carriage is upside down and the recipient of that communication is in another coach, on it's side in the next field.

Although I'm pretty certain you knew what I was getting at.

Well, this is true.

Although I suspect the main difficulty would have been with jamming the signal in the quiet coach but not all the others !
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,144
Location
Redcar
Well, this is true.

Although I suspect the main difficulty would have been with jamming the signal in the quiet coach but not all the others !

I'd be inclined to agree, surely all coaches in the near vicinity would be jammed as well.

I'm the same as everyone else, mobile phones are probably the most common issue with the quiet coach due to the way they are used. But to cut the phones off from the world whilst in the coach isn't really the answer.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
I'd be inclined to agree, surely all coaches in the near vicinity would be jammed as well.

I'm the same as everyone else, mobile phones are probably the most common issue with the quiet coach due to the way they are used. But to cut the phones off from the world whilst in the coach isn't really the answer.

I must admit, I always have my headphones in so I don't have a strong view either way (and no, they're not those rubbish iphone ones that leak noise).
 

Rick1984

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2012
Messages
1,147
My mum used to be complemented on me and my siblings behaviour on trains, so no I have no time for screaming children on any form of transport and certainly not a quite coach.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top