• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should the quiet coach be called the silence coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
If it gets to a point where a staff member has to quote the law, they've already lost, I think.

c2c excepted, a quiet word from the gripper normally sorts things if he's willing to have it.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kapuskasing

New Member
Joined
8 Oct 2012
Messages
2
Location
London
If it gets to a point where a staff member has to quote the law, they've already lost, I think.

c2c excepted, a quiet word from the gripper normally sorts things if he's willing to have it.

I ask as a passenger rather than a staff member. In my experience, the most difficult passengers are those who assert that the Quiet Zone guidelines are not legally binding, concluding that they're not therefore obliged to comply with them (often with the twist that I'm violating the QZ by speaking to them...).

As I have never heard a contrary argument until reading this thread, I wondered whether the law has decided that these byelaws govern the Quiet Zone. Byelaw 7(1)(ii) ("use any instrument, article or equipment for the production or reproduction of sound") would, for example, seem to ban the use of mobile phones in any carriage where they annoyed anyone.

A related question, which may expose me as a newbie: do TOCs offer QZs entirely in response to customer demand, or is there any regulatory or legislative requirement that they're fulfilling?
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
Customer demand, although I would argue that the "disturbing other passengers" bylaw could cover it - or with a bit of effort on my part, it could escalate to a general "disturbing the peace" and I have an excuse to kick them off :D:D (I can wind them up something rotten!)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top