• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should OAPs and Disabled get free train travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gareth950

Member
Joined
3 Nov 2013
Messages
1,009
Is it maybe time for this thread to be closed? It's quite clear that there are entrenched opinions on both sides and the thread has wandered way off the original topic.
On the topic of free train travel for OAPs and disabled it looks like there's a consensus that the present railcard discount system works fine.
For many pages we've just been discussing free bus travel. Maybe that discussion should be taken into the bus travel sub-forum?

The inter-generational sniping isn't pleasant either.
 
Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,635
Location
Isle of Man
In several decades, when inflation has rendered their pensions worthless and they struggle to get by, I wonder how some of the posters here will feel?

Pretty much as I do now: that what little money I have is being wazzed up the wall by the Government on frivolity.
 

HH

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2009
Messages
4,505
Location
Essex
You will be taxed exactly the same amount no matter whom it goes on...

True. The level of taxation is set by one group of politicians; what it's spent on by another.

Still, it's very easy to think that if you can't personally see a benefit then it shouldn't be spent. About half of people think like that...
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,635
Location
Isle of Man
Still, it's very easy to think that if you can't personally see a benefit then it shouldn't be spent.

Now now, there are plenty of things that government spend money on that I don't get a personal benefit from, but would not see abolished.

The fact I think ENCTS is a spectacular waste of money has nothing to do with the fact I don't have one.
 

HH

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2009
Messages
4,505
Location
Essex
The fact I think ENCTS is a spectacular waste of money has nothing to do with the fact I don't have one.

That's not how several of your statements read. I do think ENCTS should start at an older age, but then it will, won't it? :p
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,635
Location
Isle of Man
That's not how several of your statements read. I do think ENCTS should start at an older age, but then it will, won't it? :p

There is a certain amount of resentment that I know that it won't exist when I finally get to retire, but that's not the same thing. I rarely, if ever, use libraries but think they should have the money spent on them.

I think ENCTS is a perk to people who can afford to pay for their own bus travel. If the rules were slightly changed, e.g. ENCTS passes would only be given to people who are medically prevented from driving, or who voluntarily give up their driving licences after a certain age, then I would probably change my opinion.
 

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Joined
22 Sep 2013
Messages
7,691
There is a certain amount of resentment that I know that it won't exist when I finally get to retire, but that's not the same thing. I rarely, if ever, use libraries but think they should have the money spent on them.

I think ENCTS is a perk to people who can afford to pay for their own bus travel. If the rules were slightly changed, e.g. ENCTS passes would only be given to people who are medically prevented from driving, or who voluntarily give up their driving licences after a certain age, then I would probably change my opinion.

As I've said before, I see no problem with free bus passes at State Pension age, within the authority of residence (and, probably, over the 'border' on a direct service into the adjoining authority). They should entitle the holder to child rates elsewhere.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top