Rather than that, would it make sense to just have them per train and have all the booking engines (not just Trainsplit) cobble together a suitable split and just issue it on one ticket with one admin fee to change it?
I think the DaFT were talking about that, weren't they?
That might work. I was thinking more in the case of the current system continuing as it is but with more advances being sold.
I'm sure there are better ideas than just selling more advances.
I don't begunge paying to use the railways but I begunge three things under the current system:
There being no advances across multiple TOCs in the South East
There being no discount for making the same journey once a week for 30 weeks of the year - this only being avilable for those who travel regularly for 30 days.
Ray returns costing only slightly more than a single, which makes travelling overnight rather more expensive or doing shorter distance journeys more expensive.
For example Guildford to Farnham isn't valid via Woking. If one starts at Woking but wishes to end up at Guildford then it's cheaper to do the following:
1. Return Woking to Farnham £7.10
2. Single Woking to Guildford £3.80
Total:£10.90
If one was to take the shortest route the cost would be:
1. Single Woking to Farnham £7.00
2. Single Farnham to Guildford £6.60
Total: £13.60
If travelling overnight from Woking to Farnham the cost is £14, if travelling for the day £7.10, that is a massive increase just to stay one night away. If it's not a massive then maybe the day returns perhaps are priced too cheaply.
The TOCs are within their rights to operate in this way and I am within my rights to use trains split Web Site and knowledge of the routing guide to work things in my favour.
Not all staff like the idea of passengers saving money using the routing guide but not all passengers like the lack of advance public chase tickets to some destinations. It works both ways.