Bromsgrove123
Member
Hi All,
New poster here looking for advice.
I received the following email yesterday from WMT and have been reading the forum with sheer fear since. I struggled to sleep last night and it’s been incredibly distracting and I really can’t believe I have been so stupid (over such a lengthy period of time).
When I was stopped by someone who scanned my ticket, they let me on my way, nothing was said about it not being valid etc. but I knew at the time I’d paid for a short journey and it wouldn’t be potentially the last I’d hear of it given the fact it was scrutinised in person.
It is clear from the email however that my digital footprint has been analysed and they have drawn a conclusion, away from the journey in question where my ticket was scanned.
I’ve carried out a review of my account activity and I can see I have done this c.20 times over a 2 year period. Saving on average £3.50 a time (vs an anytime single fare for the same route).
My first question is - Given the email does not state a time period for response, is there an implied time period to engage with the TOC? Or is it on a sooner rather than later basis?
I’ve seen plenty of advice on the forum around composition of a return for similar items, in fact many emails sent out seem to take this guise (short fare fraud). If possible, I’d like to seek the advice of the forum around a drafted reply (which I’ll draft ASAP).
I of course would like to avoid the most serious treatment outlined in the email at all costs if possible, and am prepared for a significant financial penalty to be imposed if I am lucky enough.
“We have recently been handed a file relating to an incident on XX XXXXXX XXXX when approached by staff carrying out their revenue duties, you were asked to show your valid ticket you offered a ticket that was not valid for the journey you had completed, possibly committing short journey fraud.
Further investigations into this matter have been carried out, including a review of the ticket records. It would appear, at this stage, that this may be a case of fraud. West Midlands Trains take travel fraud extremely seriously and is committed to prosecuting all cases of fare evasion to the full extent of the law. Travelling on the railway with the intent to avoid paying the full fare is an offence under the Regulation of Railways Act 1889. Such an offence carries a maximum fine of £1,000 and/or three months’ imprisonment and, in either case, a criminal record. It must also be considered whether this matter amounts to a much more serious offence under the Fraud Act 2006.
At this stage we would be grateful if you would provide any evidence to support the claim that none of the above legislation has been contravened to prevent further action being contemplated.
We look forward to hearing from you.”
Any help would be appreciated and any pointers around the time given to reply would be great.
New poster here looking for advice.
I received the following email yesterday from WMT and have been reading the forum with sheer fear since. I struggled to sleep last night and it’s been incredibly distracting and I really can’t believe I have been so stupid (over such a lengthy period of time).
When I was stopped by someone who scanned my ticket, they let me on my way, nothing was said about it not being valid etc. but I knew at the time I’d paid for a short journey and it wouldn’t be potentially the last I’d hear of it given the fact it was scrutinised in person.
It is clear from the email however that my digital footprint has been analysed and they have drawn a conclusion, away from the journey in question where my ticket was scanned.
I’ve carried out a review of my account activity and I can see I have done this c.20 times over a 2 year period. Saving on average £3.50 a time (vs an anytime single fare for the same route).
My first question is - Given the email does not state a time period for response, is there an implied time period to engage with the TOC? Or is it on a sooner rather than later basis?
I’ve seen plenty of advice on the forum around composition of a return for similar items, in fact many emails sent out seem to take this guise (short fare fraud). If possible, I’d like to seek the advice of the forum around a drafted reply (which I’ll draft ASAP).
I of course would like to avoid the most serious treatment outlined in the email at all costs if possible, and am prepared for a significant financial penalty to be imposed if I am lucky enough.
“We have recently been handed a file relating to an incident on XX XXXXXX XXXX when approached by staff carrying out their revenue duties, you were asked to show your valid ticket you offered a ticket that was not valid for the journey you had completed, possibly committing short journey fraud.
Further investigations into this matter have been carried out, including a review of the ticket records. It would appear, at this stage, that this may be a case of fraud. West Midlands Trains take travel fraud extremely seriously and is committed to prosecuting all cases of fare evasion to the full extent of the law. Travelling on the railway with the intent to avoid paying the full fare is an offence under the Regulation of Railways Act 1889. Such an offence carries a maximum fine of £1,000 and/or three months’ imprisonment and, in either case, a criminal record. It must also be considered whether this matter amounts to a much more serious offence under the Fraud Act 2006.
At this stage we would be grateful if you would provide any evidence to support the claim that none of the above legislation has been contravened to prevent further action being contemplated.
We look forward to hearing from you.”
Any help would be appreciated and any pointers around the time given to reply would be great.